Tensions Grow As Thailand Awaits Thaksin's Return

webfact

Tensions grow as Thailand awaits Thaksin's return

Lindsay Murdoch

BANGKOK: Thailand's government has returned the Thai passport of the fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and is preparing to welcome him from exile, stoking renewed political tensions in the country.

Mr Thaksin, a divisive figure, missed a self-imposed deadline to be in Bangkok for the wedding of his daughter Pinthongta two weeks ago.

But supporters of the telecommunications tycoon, who has lived in exile since 2008, believe he will be home within months.

From Dubai where he is living, Mr Thaksin insists Thailand is about to enter a period of reconciliation after six years of upheaval, but warns that ''merchants of conflict'' will try to thwart the peace efforts.

''Those who are not brutal and not self-centred had better get into the reconciliation mode now,'' he told the Bangkok Post.

Powerful forces, including Bangkok's political and military elite, strongly oppose Mr Thaksin's return, unless he serves at least part of a two-year prison sentence for alleged corruption.

But MPs in Yingluck Shinawatra's Puea Thai party are planning amnesties for people on both sides of the country's bitterly divided politics, a move that government critics say is ostensibly designed to allow her brother back into the country without him having to go to jail.

The government is also planning constitutional amendments that Mr Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, says should protect democratically elected representatives from being forced from power.

Ms Yingluck won a landslide election in July on a promise to her millions of so-called ''red shirt'' supporters that she would bring her brother home, and analysts say she will face a backlash from her own supporters if she fails to fulfil the promise.

In November the government was forced to withdraw an endorsement of a royal pardon for Mr Thaksin after leaders of the royalist ''yellow shirt'' movement and the opposition vowed to strongly protest against it. [more...]

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1228-1pczt.html

-- smh.com.au 2011-12-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In exile since 2006, not 2008.

I believe 2008 is correct, he was ousted by the coup in 2006.

Thaksin returned to Thailand on 28 February 2008, after the People's Power Party, which he supported, won the post-coup elections.[24] But after visiting Beijing for the 2008 Summer Olympics, he did not return to hear the final supreme court sentence and applied for asylum in the United Kingdom. This was refused, after which he had to move about from one country to another. In October, the Thailand Supreme Court found him guilty of a conflict of interest and sentenced him in absentia to two years imprisonment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

Thaksin returned to Thailand on 28 February 2008, after the People's Power Party, which he supported, won the post-coup elections.[24] But after visiting Beijing for the 2008 Summer Olympics, he did not return to hear the final supreme court sentence and applied for asylum in the United Kingdom. This was refused, after which he had to move about from one country to another. In October, the Thailand Supreme Court found him guilty of a conflict of interest and sentenced him in absentia to two years imprisonment.

http://en.wikipedia....ksin_Shinawatra

You are incorrect. Former PM Thaksin's request for asylum was withdrawn prior to any adjudication being made. A decision taken under the rules and regulations pertaining to political refugees could have taken years.

As printed in Sky News 10-Nov-2008; "I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," he said in a phone interview from the Chinese capital.

OP(Thaksin) > "Those who are not brutal and not self-centred had better get into the reconciliation mode now,'' he told the Bangkok Post."

Hypcritical laugh creator of the year.

I take it that you are opposed to reconciliation and peace then? As the former PM suggests, it would be prudent to give reconciliation some sober second thought. The consequences of a small coterie of foreign guests seeking to thwart reconciliation ridiculing Thailand's movement to peace may find themselves in a difficult position.

OP(Thaksin) > "Those who are not brutal and not self-centred had better get into the reconciliation mode now,'' he told the Bangkok Post."

I take it that you are opposed to reconciliation and peace then? As the former PM suggests, it would be prudent to give reconciliation some sober second thought. The consequences of a small coterie of foreign guests seeking to thwart reconciliation ridiculing Thailand's movement to peace may find themselves in a difficult position.

That's a good point.

You are incorrect. Former PM Thaksin's request for asylum was withdrawn prior to any adjudication being made. A decision taken under the rules and regulations pertaining to political refugees could have taken years.

As printed in Sky News 10-Nov-2008; "I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," he said in a phone interview from the Chinese capital.

That is his version of events, and exactly the sort of pompous nonsense one might expect him to trot out, were his application refused.

Agree, as a foreign guest I know better than to get involved in or expend much mental energy on Thai politics. It's one of the golden rules of being a traveller\ expat....p.s. had a fun time trying to read your post, grammaticus non recte

Well if he comes back how will that help reconcilliation? Unless of course, he makes himself available to abide by the law and spend some time in prison, until he does then powerful factions in the country will hold this card up against him and his supporters, everyone needs to make comprises to make reconcilliation work, what will Mr T do?

It's 'reconciliation' when it benefits him. If he really wanted peace in this country, he should just F off forever and stay away.

That is his version of events, and exactly the sort of pompous nonsense one might expect him to trot out, were his application refused.

No not his version, but the factual British version. He never applied for asylum and was barred from re entry whilst abroad.

No not his version, but the factual British version. He never applied for asylum and was barred from re entry whilst abroad.

Never applied? In the above quote from him, he himself implies he applied and then changed his mind. My guess is either he was refused, or he was advised he was going to be, and so dropped it quickly in an effort to save face, giving that sad champion of democracy speech in the process. Only my guess though.

And as usual you have your thinking hat on backwards.

More threats, actually you often reveal your real principles.

More threats, actually you often reveal your real principles.

The threats are thrown in just in case you are in any doubt as to where his political affections / adorations lie.

Let him come back and let thailand then react to it.

I think there can be no doubt he is already running the country so let him coem back and then face the people.

Yes I know it willnot be pretty but at least it will be done instead of this and the country can then nreally slide down hill.

As is typical in your attempts at reading my posts you MISTAKE it's meanings.

Support Hypocrisy as lifestyle choice!

Do it today, do it now, no don't wait. Just DO IT!

That's a good point.

If only it addressed the point I was making, it might be a point at all.

At this point it certainly isn't a good one.

I have worked in refugee services, including asylum cases. These cases usually take a long time to get settled. If an application was made, I would guess that it would not have been rejected in the relatively short period that he was in the UK. It may have been withdrawn.

I do not know about the restrictions in the UK, but his freedom to engage in political activities related to Thailand might not have been allowed by someone seeking asylum.

I have worked in refugee services, including asylum cases. These cases usually take a long time to get settled. If an application was made, I would guess that it would not have been rejected in the relatively short period that he was in the UK. It may have been withdrawn.

I do not know about the restrictions in the UK, but his freedom to engage in political activities related to Thailand might not have been allowed by someone seeking asylum.

Sounds quite plausible, and if so, Thaksin would have had little option but to withdraw the application. His choice would then be in how he explained it - does he give the true reasoning as being his desire to continue meddling engaging in Thai politics, or - as that doesn't make him look too good - does he dress it up as being some sort of noble, moral stand in the greater cause of democracy.

There may be posters who are more knowledgeable about asylum cases in the UK. At a minimum, however, he would not have been free to move from country to country while asking for asylum.

A big question that has to be answered in many asylum cases is "Are you fleeing persecution, or are you fleeing prosecution?"

Simply being ousted by a coup would not necessarily be persecution. Thaksin would have to show that he was facing discrimination that was severe enough and cumulative enough to amount to persecution. If I were an adjudicating officer, I would not grant him asylum, but that is based on the knowledge that he has the financial resources to appeal the case for a more thorough legal review of his situation and the conditions that await him upon his return.

I can't believe you can post this quote from Thaksin with a straight face. "I am a champion of democracy". Lest we forget his statement "democracy is not my goal".