Sophon Tv Channel Changes?

SurfRider

"What is clear is that there are fewer English channels than there were previously ... and more Russian and Thai channels."

Probably because Russians appear to be taking over Pattaya-- much more so than any other farang contingent and they've got the cash. (and apparently they watch a lot of TV)

Likewise, there are far more Thai speaking viewers watching TV here than ANY group of foreigners. Simple supply and demand. They know where their bread is buttered. Fortunately, you can always get your English speaking fix of TV fare from the Internet.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK so they are adding a few new channels YIPPPEEEE come on how many do you watch it mostly junk tv, so theres a new Russian and Arab and a few more Thai channels +++ load of crap. I,m now looking for an alternative, fed up with the trash tv sophon.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know what happened but last night at midnight all my cable TV went off and this morning the signal is much improved. Presumably Sophon did some upgrades.

The content is still poor.

Same in South Pattaya area, I wasn't around to see it go off but this morning the picture quality has improved.

It all depends on which bands your tuner is scanning, and where it is starting in the band. This will vary from device to device.

actually it depends on what region your TV is set for, this will move the tuning band and channel numbering

Anyone else noticed problems with the Thai language track for the boomerang channel - most of the cartoons on there seem to only have the english soundtrack now. Though my daughter seems ok watching them in English my wife is none too happy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, great information here in this thread. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I go about connected to Sophon here in Bangkok. There doesn't appear to be a sophon website, only a pattaya tv guide. I currently live in ekkamai/thonglor on Rama 4 and have moved into a new apartment building where they have pushed true on all residents (expensive and not that great IMO). I want to connect to cable as well as I'm interested in getting the Australia Network for the news and sport, but don't want to have to go to the trouble of installing an IS-8 satellite. If anyone could help it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by SteveBe

Hey guys, great information here in this thread. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I go about connected to Sophon here in Bangkok. There doesn't appear to be a sophon website, only a pattaya tv guide. I currently live in ekkamai/thonglor on Rama 4 and have moved into a new apartment building where they have pushed true on all residents (expensive and not that great IMO). I want to connect to cable as well as I'm interested in getting the Australia Network for the news and sport, but don't want to have to go to the trouble of installing an IS-8 satellite. If anyone could help it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

The only way your'e going to get Sophon is to move to Pattaya. Maybe worth posting in the BKK thread and asking about BKK cable operators.

Thanks

The only way your'e going to get Sophon is to move to Pattaya. Maybe worth posting in the BKK thread and asking about BKK cable operators.

No worries, thanks for the reply. I've read on here people getting Sophon in various apartments and guesthouses in bkk. I asked at the last place I stayed out about the local cable feed as they had the channels that I'm after and they said they were using various methods of satellites and dodgey feeds that they had no idea which company/companies they were getting it from. TiT

"I've read on here people getting Sophon in various apartments and guesthouses in bkk"

Sophon is the local cable TV company in Pattaya that only services that area. Whatever you saw that referenced Sophon in BKK was either a misunderstanding or erroneous information.

Let's face it. Cable TV in Pattaya sucks weather it;s Sophon, TMN, BTV, They all play repeats day after day, month after month and year after year. I don't know how many times on the Universal Channel I have seen the same season of "The Event", Law & Order, Criminal Minds etc. AND when they are just about at the season finale, they don't show it but change to another series or repeat the same one over again.

I have been watching "Kyle XY" in SyFy (the same season) for 3 years now.

I think they do it on purpose to piss the farangs off.

I have made comments on TV Series on my Facebook to me friends back home and they are like: "Dude that was 4 years ago. We are into season 11 now".

Someone needs to really do some research into these cable companies and report it to someone who actually gives a sheite. Oh yeah sorry, nobody does.

I guess one good thing is the very old retirees here who get Dementia won't ever know that they have been watching the same show over and over again.

• Like 1

Let's face it. Cable TV in Pattaya sucks weather it;s Sophon, TMN, BTV, They all play repeats day after day, month after month and year after year. I don't know how many times on the Universal Channel I have seen the same season of "The Event", Law & Order, Criminal Minds etc. AND when they are just about at the season finale, they don't show it but change to another series or repeat the same one over again.

I have been watching "Kyle XY" in SyFy (the same season) for 3 years now.

I think they do it on purpose to piss the farangs off.

I have made comments on TV Series on my Facebook to me friends back home and they are like: "Dude that was 4 years ago. We are into season 11 now".

Someone needs to really do some research into these cable companies and report it to someone who actually gives a sheite. Oh yeah sorry, nobody does.

I guess one good thing is the very old retirees here who get Dementia won't ever know that they have been watching the same show over and over again.

old = cheaper

new = more expensive

farang get pissed off all the time

but probably not nearly as often as we feel it is intentional

when they take away a channel

you enjoy wartching

now that hurts

Edited by deejah

no that the movie was any good

but they managed to air

real steel

while it was still on the screen in pattaya

that was a nice little surprise

no that the movie was any good

but they managed to air

real steel

while it was still on the screen in pattaya

that was a nice little surprise

Yes Sophon really does suck now, apart from NHK, its all pretty useless. I'm still waiting for MI4 Ghost Protocol to appear in the markets, it figures that it was available 2 months ago only in Russian

• 2 months later...

because they moved bbc

i scanned and found new channels!!!

question

this old tv only handles 99

are there more than 99 now???

Maybe you are only 1 channel short, as they intended to broadcast up to 100 Channels.

^ I loved that, but since 1-2 Months I don't have it anymore on Sophon

Edit: //

I just called my friend on Siam CC who has TMN (Thipmanee) and he also doesn't have it.

Edited by MJCM

• 4 months later...

I just got back to pattaya and I cannot find the golf channel on Sophon anymore?

Have Sophon stopped broadcasting the.golf channel?

I think they broadcast a channel on London Olympics where used to be golf.

Maybe golf will come back next week when Olympics are finish?

I just got back to pattaya and I cannot find the golf channel on Sophon anymore?

Have Sophon stopped broadcasting the.golf channel?

I think they broadcast a channel on London Olympics where used to be golf.

Maybe golf will come back next week when Olympics are finish?

Had a feeling that maybe the case, just a shame the Olympics coincide with a golf major! :-( thanks for the reply

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know when sophon goes digital ? Looking to buy second tv and salesman in Num Chai is telling me 15th of January 2014 but will continue to broadcast analog for a further 3 years. As per, sales guy in Big C gave me totally contradicting info that it will switch over completely in May/June 2014 with no analog at all! Can't find anything on net to support either claim only Wikipedia saying Thailand goes digital in 2015 !

Want to make allowances now if set top box is going to be required for first TV if it does happen any time this century baring in mind 'Thai time' !!!

Mai kao jai !!!!