Sophon Tv Channel Changes?

SurfRider

Sophon Cable appears to have changed or shifted all their channel numbers. Some channels appear to not be working at all.

Does anyone know if this is permanent and what the story is behind it? Where can a listing of the new channel structure be found?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several extra channels (about 10). Some deleted. Some new. There seem to be fewer English channels and more Thai ones. The local Pattaya TV seems to have disappeared completely (and I bet some local media moguls are wondering about that). Several channels still need to be set up at the cable headend so expect more changes over the next few days (may also be related to the year ending of course).

On the plus side, broadcast quality of some channels has improved noticeably and Sophon have moved kicking and screaming into the 21st century and have finally bought some Windows 7 PCs to run their media playback software on. That should mean no more XP menus popping up every 10 minutes, and far fewer crashes. And better DVD playback.

Now if only they could be talked into broadcasting in digital rather than analogue. Widescreen, decent picture quality, no interference, more channels. Ah well, we can dream.

List? There is no list. TIT.

I managed to get a brief comment from a VP at Sophon:

"Sophon Cable Tv is now upgraded to 100 channels so you can use the auto-tune mode on your tv to set up. We are testing the new 100 channels system so it might not be perfect now but we are working on it."

Anyone notice that the volume levels between channels needs some adjusting ? Some Channels like Nr 2 are way to softly and another ones are way to loud

This is common. You need a TV with automatic volume control.

Will look into that, but nothing has changed since yesterday (only Sophon doing their shuffling) and still the volume is all over the place

Edited by MJCM

"My TV only sees about 75. There is a lot of unused space at the end of the band though, about 30%."

Mine found 67 out of a possible 120, but I had to delete 42 of those due to poor video quality or unwanted programming content-- leaving only 25 viewable and I'll probably need to delete more as I learn more about the content and quality.

Seems that Sophon's claimed "100 channels" is really only an inconvenient re-shuffling and essentially a worthless exercise in futility . . . TiT

Whats the alternative to Sophon ? Getting fed up with the limited English speaking channels and the content. Due to pay my subscription tomoro 1,800 for 6 months.

Depends where you are mostly, TMN (Thipmanee) BTV (Banglamung TV) are 2 alternatives or the expensive Truevision (TV via satellite)

Edited by MJCM

"My TV only sees about 75. There is a lot of unused space at the end of the band though, about 30%."

Mine found 67 out of a possible 120, but I had to delete 42 of those due to poor video quality or unwanted programming content-- leaving only 25 viewable and I'll probably need to delete more as I learn more about the content and quality.

Seems that Sophon's claimed "100 channels" is really only an inconvenient re-shuffling and essentially a worthless exercise in futility . . . TiT

At Nirun we pay 380, up last month from 300. Did not do autotune yet, but I'm sure the new channels are not worth looking at. I'd like Star World but will probably get more Russian.

Will look into that, but nothing has changed since yesterday (only Sophon doing their shuffling) and still the volume is all over the place

Sophon are using new/different/reconfigured tuners and playback systems. They wont all have the same default audio levels, though I suppose at some point they may balance the outputs manually.

It's simpler to get a TV that does it for you. Many do, and the function is normally off by default so check your manual.

Whats the alternative to Sophon ?

It depends on where you live as the different cable companies cover different areas and buildings. You can always get satellite but it's expensive compared to cable. I dont think True's offering is very good anyway. Not enough English-language channels for my liking, and far too much sport (zero being the right amount). Astro is better but that comes from Malaysia and is more complicated and costly to receive.

"I can't find Bloomberg Business"

On my TV Bloomberg shows up on channel 97 under the new scheme -- On my PCTV Tuner, it's disappeared completely -- I think the PCTV is only capable of 60 channels, where the TV can receive up to 120 channels.

Surf, how can you have 97 Channels ?? I just did a new scan and it ends with 79 Channels in total, where the last couple of channels are of a bad quality

"Surf, how can you have 97 Channels ??"

Not sure, but possibly because it's a new digital LED Panasonic TV? (just guessing)

When it scanned, it went up to 120 channels and numbered each usable channel it found sequentially from 1 to 67. The 44th channel it found was Bloomberg, which it shows on the display query as channel 97.

A mystery to me -- my PCTV Tuner found channels on Sophon in a completely different number scheme from the Panasonic.

Edited by SurfRider

"Surf, how can you have 97 Channels ??"

Not sure, but possibly because it's a new digital LED Panasonic TV? (just guessing)

When it scanned, it went up to 120 channels and numbered each usable channel it found sequentially from 1 to 67. The 44th channel it found was Bloomberg, which it shows on the display query as channel 97.

A mystery to me -- my PCTV Tuner found channels on Sophon in a completely different number scheme from the Panasonic.

I just did a scan on two different tv sets (LG & Samsung) and they both came up with the same number (79 in total) and both found Bloomberg on 29. Could it be that this is Pattaya area dependent ??? I'm in between Central Road and North Road. Or maybe you have a way too advanced TV for Sophon too handle laugh.png

I just did a new scan on my PCTV tuner and Bloomberg popped up on channel 29 (this morning it didn't show up at all - possibly Sophon was still shuffling).

It appears that it's the 29th channel it found in the scanning sequence, but probably not what Sophon lists as channel 29. If Sophon ever publishes a list of whatever they consider to be their channel numbering scheme, maybe we'll have even more confusion to deal with . . . TiT ... rolleyes.gif

This is a list of the channels I have on Sophon after a channel Re-Scan just now.

1 - Thai Channel

2 - English Movies

3 - Thai Info Channel

4 - Spring Thai Channel

5 - TGN Thai Channel

6 - Fashion TV

7 - Russian Channel

8 - Chonburi 1

9 - Test

10 - Documentary Channel Thai

11 - Pattaya People Channel

12 - Music Lifestyle

13 - Cartoon Club

14 - Thai Movie Channel

15 - Channel 3 Thai

16 - Channel 5 Thai

17 - Channel 7 Thai

18 - Channel 9 Thai

19 - NBTV Thai

20 - Thai PBS

21 - Sophon Info Channel

22 = Russian Channel

23 - Rai Italia

24 - BBC World News

25 - Aljazeera

26 - Channel News Asia

27 - Fox News

28 - English Movies

29 - Bloomberg

30 - Test

31 - Test

32 - Astro Supersport 2

33 - V Channel (Music)

34 - Aussie Channel

35 - Euro Sport

36 - Golf Channel

37 - Astro Supersport

38 - English Movies (Thai Voice)

39 - Pattaya Channel

40 - Zee TV

41 - Russian Channel

42 - English Movies

43 - Cartoons

44 - Universal Channel

45 - Kids Co

46 - SyFi

47 - German TV

48 - Dutch TV

49 - Japanase TV

50 - Sophon Sport Channel

51 - Test

52 - TCI Channel (Chinese)

53 - ASTV (Thai Info)

54 - Fan TV (Thai Music)

55 - Voice TV (Thai)

56 - DNN News (Thai)

57 - Asia Live (Thai)

58 - Health Plus Channel (Thai)

59 - Arabian Channel

60 - CCTV 4 (Chinese Channel)

61 - Russian Channel

62 - TV 5 Monde (French Channel)

63 - ACT Channel (Thai)

64 - Thai Radio Channel

65 - Money Channel (Thai)

66 - Euro Sport Live

67 - Thai Channel

68 - Test Channel (Showing Sports)

69 - Test

70 - Loekteung Channel (Thai Music)

71 - DMC Channel

72 - Live Dude TV (Thai)

73 - Live Miti 4 (Thai)

74 - Live Pop Culture Live (Thai Music)

75 - Live Thai Chai Yoo (Thai Music)

76 - Thai Channel

77 - Thai Channel

78 - Thai Channel

79 - Channel ! (Thai)

I have a new digital TV and it only gets 78 channels. As far as I know different areas (or different buildings for condos) can get different channels.

"Thank-you very much for taking the time to do that."

Likewise, MJCM - I can't imagine how you did that, but I doubt that Sophon even has a list that comprehensive! -- When I asked their VP for a list of the new channels, he couldn't supply one.

Maybe you should offer it to them in exchange for knocking a few months off your Cable bill . . . wai.gif

Edited by SurfRider