Environmental Hazard At Bangrak

Jose

A few months ago approx 200kg of broken asbestos-cement roof tiles were used to fill holes in the dirt parking/entrance area of the Big Buddha pier at Bangrak. After several months of mini vans running over these tiles, a small proportion has been ground down to small pieces - the reminder is now dust.

Asbestos is fine when it is locked within cement (eg, roof tiles), and relatively not so dangerous when buried or even left sitting undisturbed around the beach areas. But it is absolutely deadly when its fibers are broken up and released into the atmosphere to be breathed in by unsuspecting victims.

I suggest giving this whole are a wide berth when getting on/off the Haad Rin Queen boat - there is access to the beach through the Petcharat Marina pier 50 metres west.

Other constructive suggestions on how to deal with this menace are most welcome. Ad hominem attacks will be ignored.

A few months ago approx 200kg of broken asbestos-cement roof tiles were used to fill holes in the dirt parking/entrance area of the Big Buddha pier at Bangrak. After several months of mini vans running over these tiles, a small proportion has been ground down to small pieces - the reminder is now dust.

Asbestos is fine when it is locked within cement (eg, roof tiles), and relatively not so dangerous when buried or even left sitting undisturbed around the beach areas. But it is absolutely deadly when its fibers are broken up and released into the atmosphere to be breathed in by unsuspecting victims.

I suggest giving this whole are a wide berth when getting on/off the Haad Rin Queen boat - there is access to the beach through the Petcharat Marina pier 50 metres west.

Other constructive suggestions on how to deal with this menace are most welcome. Ad hominem attacks will be ignored.

Jose I will stick my neck out and say this is a problem all over the island these tiles have been used for years and when replaced are just discarded anywhere. As for how to deal with the problem no idea, some causes are a lost cause.

I can also see this problem all over the islands, John - but never before at this scale. As travelers wait for the KPG boat or taxi vans, this place potentially exposes thousands of travelers every week to asbestosis (mesothelioma).

A well-spoken Thai contacted the Samui ampor about this catastrophe months ago, but they dismissed it with the usual "we'll take a look at it" reply.

I feel particularly sorry for the locals living and working in the immediate area, and this environment is specially dangerous for younger children with growing lungs.

I can also see this problem all over the islands, John - but never before at this scale. As travelers wait for the KPG boat or taxi vans, this place potentially exposes thousands of travelers every week to asbestosis (mesothelioma).

A well-spoken Thai contacted the Samui ampor about this catastrophe months ago, but they dismissed it with the usual "we'll take a look at it" reply.

I feel particularly sorry for the locals living and working in the immediate area, and this environment is specially dangerous for younger children with growing lungs.

this would be highly illigal in most countries, and would even warrent a travel advisory notice !