Things You Think Will Make You Happy (But Won'T)

Xangsamhua

Got this from another Buddhist forum. Something to think about when making New Year's resolutions.

5 Things You Think Will Make You Happy (But Won't)

If 80s movies taught us anything, it's that at some point you're going to run into a mysterious relic that lets you switch bodies with other people.

Would you use it? Would you choose to switch lives with, say, Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie or Dale DeBone? Most people would.

But let's say the artifact doesn't let you choose, but will instead switch you randomly with one of the other six billion people on the planet. Virtually nobody will take that deal, for fear they'd switch with some poor villager in Nigeria.

So what does that say about us? Well, according to experts, it says almost everything we think about what would make us happy is dead wrong. Let's look at the five things we're most wrong about, with some pictures of adorable animals for good measure.

More at: http://www.cracked.com/article_17061_reminder-5-things-you-think-will-make-you-happy-but-wont.html

Strangely I wouldn't like to be anyone else.

I'd prefer a device which can take me back to my teens, but with the knowledge and wisdom I've accumulated with age.

smile.png Wouldn't we all. And yet, maybe not. Some of the stupid things I did when young produced good fruit that was better, I think, than the bad fruit they produced - a kind of "mixed karma". Of course, I'm referring to foolish things, nothing wicked.

I think the article was a good one, and reminds me that I am still subject to some if not all of these desires. I seek approval, perhaps some level of admiration, for the things I do, and perhaps do some things and not others motivated by this desire than a full 100% integrity. That would be "delusion", I suppose - at least not uppekha (equanimity). I have other faults too, but one self-disclosure is enough for now. wink.png

So, one Dhammic New Year resolution for me is to examine my acts and decisions carefully. Are they serving my ego more than the demands of truth, right judgement and justice?

I'd prefer a device which can take me back to my teens, but with the knowledge and wisdom I've accumulated with age.

smile.png Wouldn't we all. And yet, maybe not. Some of the stupid things I did when young produced good fruit that was better, I think, than the bad fruit they produced - a kind of "mixed karma". Of course, I'm referring to foolish things, nothing wicked.

I think the article was a good one, and reminds me that I am still subject to some if not all of these desires. I seek approval, perhaps some level of admiration, for the things I do, and perhaps do some things and not others motivated by this desire than a full 100% integrity. That would be "delusion", I suppose - at least not uppekha (equanimity). I have other faults too, but one self-disclosure is enough for now. wink.png

So, one Dhammic New Year resolution for me is to examine my acts and decisions carefully. Are they serving my ego more than the demands of truth, right judgement and justice?

I also have a number of Buddhist related New Years resolutions lined up. smile.png

I'm similar to you and find myself responding emotionally to positive feedback and approval.

I've seen however, others who don't require it and who have different motivational triggers.

This suggests unique challenges and different paths for each of us on our march to awakening.

Edited by rockyysdt

Xangsamhua, thanks for the thought provoking article. You and rockyysdt made the comments that caused me to contemplate.

I had it all by trading my soul and then walked away from all of that. In exchange for having my soul back, I have almost none. To say that I gained wisdom, it's exaggerating. But I'm content with life and simplicity.

Fame: Nah, I do things anonymously. (Also helps me get away from notoriety for grossly misbehaving biggrin.png )

Wealth: Give away a lot of money and valuable possessions. I don't feel poor despite little left in my checking account and living as a squatter.

Beauty: Shaved my head and haven't bought new clothes for a few years. My avatar looks like me.

Genius: No, not smart enough; I still don't get it. Probably never will.

Power: Let the Universe take the wheel and patiently see where I will be taken. Gave up the control.

Happy New Year to you!

Xangsamhua, thanks for the thought provoking article. You and rockyysdt made the comments that caused me to contemplate.

I had it all by trading my soul and then walked away from all of that. In exchange for having my soul back, I have almost none. To say that I gained wisdom, it's exaggerating. But I'm content with life and simplicity.

Fame: Nah, I do things anonymously. (Also helps me get away from notoriety for grossly misbehaving biggrin.png )

Wealth: Give away a lot of money and valuable possessions. I don't feel poor despite little left in my checking account and living as a squatter.

Beauty: Shaved my head and haven't bought new clothes for a few years. My avatar looks like me.

Power: Let the Universe take the wheel and patiently see where I will be taken. Gave up the control.

Happy New Year to you!

At the very least you won't suffer through loss or damage.

Simplicity is very liberating.

I'm drawn to minimalism but live with family favoring the very extreme opposite.

Perhaps a test of mindfulness and attachment?!

Happy New Year to you!

At the very least you won't suffer through loss or damage.

Simplicity is very liberating.

I'm drawn to minimalism but live with family favoring the very extreme opposite.

Perhaps a test of mindfulness and attachment?!

Or the clash of two civilizations... coincidentally happens to be a title of some scholarly writing originated by my graduate school director Francis Fukuyama. Religions, civilizations, spirituality, world politics, etc. Don't people around here kill each other because of differences in their beliefs?

What other people think about what I am/am not, have/don't have, do/don't do doesn't matter much any more. They think I've gone mad. Maybe I am indeed crazy.gif. But I do sympathize with you when it comes to people in the family whose views and actions are taking them on a different path.

Sure, loss and damage don't make me suffer materially. But I'm still a mortal human being with emotions. What you said about attachment and mindfulness perhaps makes me aware of my own spiritual suffering.

Have just got back from a few days in Myanmar, without access to internet or international roaming.

Thanks for your comments, Rocky and Polsci.

Minimalism is good; less is more. Giving away what you don't need and treading lightly on the earth is admirable, but I don't think I'm quite ready to give too much away. When I think of some of the trips and pilgrimages I've done in recent years, at a level of comfort that suits my aging bones, they all cost a fair bit of money that had to be earned and saved. Maybe there's no real need to go on pilgrimage or visit significant sites, but I feel that I benefited, and I was all the time conscious of how lucky I was to have the income to do it.

I also want some security in my old age, even if it's just the house and land I live on. No Nirvana for me in this life, I'm afraid.

But now it's all done, I think. Perhaps 2012, as well as being the Year of the Farmer and the Year of Sustainable Energy, could be the Year of wanting what we have rather than of having what we want.

haha - next life? isn't that the same? 'if only' I could go back to my days of career ambition and change that to a more compassionate time - alas