Top Gear

Rooo

Back in the early 90s, Top Gear was ace. It's been on a steady decline since. Watched the Christmas India special. Somehow it's still getting worse.

same with fifth gear that show has fallen off though I do like Tiff. agreed the 90s were great for both shows now its more about script, pop culture and not enough about cars, amazing how the whole premise of the shows is fast getting lost. No different than bands which make it and then sell out to the masses, most guys still enjoy cars but not many can even change oil or a tyre so its likely these days all this decline is necessary to reach the audience hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by caphant

Back in the early 90s, Top Gear was ace. It's been on a steady decline since. Watched the Christmas India special. Somehow it's still getting worse.

same with fifth gear that show has fallen off though I do like Tiff. agreed the 90s were great for both shows now its more about script, pop culture and not enough about cars, amazing how the whole premise of the shows is fast getting lost. No different than bands which make it and then sell out to the masses, most guys still enjoy cars but not many can even change oil or a tyre so its likely these days all this decline is necessary to reach the audience hit-the-fan.gif

Do you remember when they actually lifted the hood and showed the engine layout and explained how stuff worked on a particular ride, l loved it then but now there would be no audience for it, so it's just like a soap to me.

Exactly wouldnt be an audience, needs to be a pop soap best illustrated by the celebrity challenge of the modestly priced car around the circuit, There are a few good shows on discovery turbo which keep me entertained. I remember the horse power cable package overseas 10 years back which was fantastic with 5 channels talking facts and requiring the viewer to know more than how to merely operate a car....oh well coffee1.gif

Agree with previous comment, the show has run out of ideas. It used to be about cars and exotics. Now it's more about the personalities of the hosts and stupid comparisons.

It's as though each hosts minders have identified certain traits for each and now they are over emphasizing them.

They're also trying to give a "I don't care what I look like" persona so they appear cool. I bet they spend just as much time in makeup chair to look scraggy as it does to appear groomed.

As the series dates they should stop trying to appeal to a broader audience and focus on petrol heads like they used to.

TV is absolutely crap these days. Especially UK. They seem to make anyone a celebrity, even people who appear on crap reality shows or one hit wonders. It used to be the best TV in the world. Just hope they can recreate that.

• Like 1