Aikido In Pattaya

raro

Did you see Steven Seagull doing Aikido or did you see one of his action movies? The latter have some Aikido elements but I would not call that Aikido.

As for Duck Square, well...I presumed it is one of the locations in town known to the general public, must have been mistaken.

it is HIM preforming akido

his is obviously a MASTER

point number two

you know what they say about 'assume'

three- if anyone has some time, patience, and good spirit

please answer my questions above as to what the meetings are like

unless they have already been addressed

and you can point me in that direction

thanks in advance

apparently THIS IS to much to ask

and the desire to communicate with any depth and equally and fairly to all members on TV is severely and strictly on a limited basis

re-post:

is this still going on?

how many are showing up?

would a complete beginner be able to follow?

This topic is a bit dated, but I am interested in an answer to the following question:

What is the best way to deal with the "typical" Thai side-leg-sweeping kick? To the face, middle body, or legs.........what to do: enter and strike, move to the side, move back and keep distance........?

I am puzzled about the side-sweeping Thai boxer style kick. It is so ingrained in Thai culture, that I am certain that is probably the first thing you will see if you get into a fight with a Thai.

If you have a video of the Aikido response to this attack, please direct me to it.......thanks.

It's not Aikido but I usually attempt to catch the attackers leg and tuck his ankle under my armpit leaving him hopping on one leg and unable to attack further. Then a kick of my own to his family jewels (or 2) and he goes down. After that it's all over. If any of you think this is unfair, I would say fighting fair is fighting to lose.

Did you see Steven Seagull doing Aikido or did you see one of his action movies? The latter have some Aikido elements but I would not call that Aikido.

As for Duck Square, well...I presumed it is one of the locations in town known to the general public, must have been mistaken.

it is HIM preforming akido

his is obviously a MASTER

point number two

you know what they say about 'assume'

three- if anyone has some time, patience, and good spirit

please answer my questions above as to what the meetings are like

unless they have already been addressed

and you can point me in that direction

thanks in advance

apparently THIS IS to much to ask

and the desire to communicate with any depth and equally and fairly to all members on TV is severely and strictly on a limited basis

re-post:

is this still going on?

how many are showing up?

would a complete beginner be able to follow?

I think my post #27 is answering your questions already. Different number of people from class to class. Last time we were 5 of us.

This topic is a bit dated, but I am interested in an answer to the following question:

What is the best way to deal with the "typical" Thai side-leg-sweeping kick? To the face, middle body, or legs.........what to do: enter and strike, move to the side, move back and keep distance........?

I am puzzled about the side-sweeping Thai boxer style kick. It is so ingrained in Thai culture, that I am certain that is probably the first thing you will see if you get into a fight with a Thai.

If you have a video of the Aikido response to this attack, please direct me to it.......thanks.

It's not Aikido but I usually attempt to catch the attackers leg and tuck his ankle under my armpit leaving him hopping on one leg and unable to attack further. Then a kick of my own to his family jewels (or 2) and he goes down. After that it's all over. If any of you think this is unfair, I would say fighting fair is fighting to lose.

Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2wtbc2_t0&feature=related

frontal snap kicks:

Fascinating and very effective..........and almost simple (w/ a lot of practice of course). The timing looks critical........some Thais can really deliver that side kick fast. From what I saw, I think moving in, as opposed to moving away, is probably the best course of action, at least for the side-kick. If the kick is coming at you from, say the right leg of the opponent, you move in rapidly to his left side and the kick has nowhere to go......he is on one foot (off balance) and vulnerable. I wish I could drop by, but I am working in Bangkok now. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in Private or group lessons in Yoshinkan Aikido. OR Kenshu classes.

pls pm me <snip>

Osu! Rob M

Edited by soundman
Please use ThaiVisa classifieds to advertise your service.

Fascinating and very effective..........and almost simple (w/ a lot of practice of course). The timing looks critical........some Thais can really deliver that side kick fast. From what I saw, I think moving in, as opposed to moving away, is probably the best course of action, at least for the side-kick. If the kick is coming at you from, say the right leg of the opponent, you move in rapidly to his left side and the kick has nowhere to go......he is on one foot (off balance) and vulnerable. I wish I could drop by, but I am working in Bangkok now. Thanks.

It is all about timing. You can train whatever you want, a sucker punch will win.

By the way, we have a kick-off meeting (no pun intended...) on Sunday at 5:30 pm at the Offshore bar in Soi Xzyte. Will discuss organizational matters, Q&A for beginners, and have a chat and a beer.

Everyone is welcome!

It is all about timing. You can train whatever you want, a sucker punch will win.

By the way, we have a kick-off meeting (no pun intended...) on Sunday at 5:30 pm at the Offshore bar in Soi Xzyte. Will discuss organizational matters, Q&A for beginners, and have a chat and a beer.

Everyone is welcome!

bump B)

For those that think Aikido is a public service, they do not understand Aikido.

If everyone showed Raro's enthusiasm ther would never be a problem. Good luck Raro. Don't let it deviate from O semsei's teaching out of Hombu

Regards

well, we had 6 people at the meeting, some others couldn't make it and recruited one more guy later that night.

Will post here when classes are as soon as we have sorted this. Those interested let me know by PM and I'll send you a link to our facebook group.

I like to add...I do this only because of pure selfishness. I want to practice Aikido and in order to do so I need a dojo, other students and a teacher. As no one (well....to be fair.....some...a few...) gets his/her butt off the floor and gets something organized it is your truly again who has to do it.

Good that I could delegate most of the actual work already to someone giggle.gif

I like to add...I do this only because of pure selfishness. I want to practice Aikido and in order to do so I need a dojo, other students and a teacher. As no one (well....to be fair.....some...a few...) gets his/her butt off the floor and gets something organized it is your truly again who has to do it.

Good that I could delegate most of the actual work already to someone giggle.gif

thank you for your efforts

please post details here and or pm me

with details and FB link

thanks again

thank you for your efforts

please post details here and or pm me

with details and FB link

thanks again

We are still sorting out the dojo, stay tuned

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

RobbieRob, you are more than welcome to join our meeting!

Thank you for the invite to your meeting, hope it all goes well for your group.

I mainly teach out of Pakchong, however alot of time is spent travelling inbetween Pattaya/Sattahip for training & teaching.

Pls <snip> and I can steer you in the right direction to my sensei.

Osu! Rob M

Edited by raro
Phone number removed. Please use PM function only.

• 11 months later...