Are All Parcels Sent Into Thailand Liable For Import Tax?

tonybuak

Some Time ago when i was in Thailand I bought a cd from Amazon for ten pounds but the post office charged me another ten pounds import tax, does this apply to everything that is posted into Thailand as I was thinking about posting some people some warm clothes as it gets very cold aboutthere now and i can't see why they should have to pay for it to get it?

Can't speak for everyone but over the years I've have had small parcels sent by friends from UK without any problems.

Things like a book or some baby cloths sent regular mail, never had to pay anything.

Probably because your CD came from a company they flagged it for tax.

Get Amazon to send future stuff to a friend and they repackage it and send it to you marked as birthday gift. biggrin.png

I have found private parcels from uk sent by post office ok but buying things from a company online like for a car accessory I payed inport tax, as for the way I know it, it's a bit of a lottery what you pay.biggrin.png

yep - meant to add that - the tax seems to vary. it was always clothes that i have had delivered and been taxed on, but at seemingly different rates.

but only DHL packages - clothes send via normal airmail came through tax free.

i get round it now by having stuff mailed to family in the uk, and then sent on under plain packing via airmail.

Edited by GooEng

i've had various items posted and only ever been taxed on DHL packages - anything under plain cover is ok.

if the value is stated on the outside i think you are likely to be taxed.

Yes make sure the value is not listed over $25 and no tax is charged.. Unless it's a very expensive content it's worth the risk as being listed only $25 value as it also helps prevent sticky fingers so after almost 10 years of receiving packages I've only been charged the one time it was listed over that amount.

Also forgot to add, this was all regular mail EMS.

Edited by WarpSpeed

It depends on the item (some things are taxable, some not, and rates vary by category of item when they are) and the whim of customs (sometimes they just don't bother especially for damll value parcels, even when taxable, and other tomes they do)

Unfortunately clothing is taxable and I think at a prettyu high rate.

As others have said, much more likely to get duty assigned if he package is from a commercial source than if it is mailed by a private individual.

Mailed under plain cover and marked gift , good chance it won't be taxed but cannot guarantee.