Custom Wheels And Tires For A New Pickup

tutsiwarrior

I'm looking to buy a new Isuzu D-max highlander 4 door crew cab, 2wd without any special load considerations (local driving and occasional highway excursions) and I would presume that the wheels and tires provided on the new unit are designed to handle normal operation conditions...am I wrong?

is there any performance advantage in purchasing a custom arrangement?...they sure do look nice in the show room/internet pages...are the 'stock' wheels and tires of inferior quality?...are 'stock' replacement tires more difficult to find?

please comment...thanks

I have a new Isuzu D Max cab 4 V Cross Z prestige on order. I have 20 inch alloy wheels on my old Isuzu. I will be re-installing them on my new truck.

I haven't noticed anything detrimental with the larger wheels and they have a wider tire so I have more rubber on the road so better traction AND better in the rain.

post-32989-0-97013400-1325369181_thumb.j

post-32989-0-41414400-1325369210_thumb.j

point taken: more rubber on the ground = better traction in wet conditions...but, if this is the case why wouldn't large 'stock' tires and wheels be supplied to begin with? are we talking about a safety issue here?

a manufacturer's fuel efficiency calculation in based upon a design standard which presumably includes the stock tire configuration with less rubber on the ground...do we lose fuel efficiency with larger tires and how is safety then compromised?...what's the balance?

mind, spindly stock tires don't inspire a lot of confidence if the wide tires offer a significant safety margin...hence my query...and they look cool...I'm reminded of 'big foot' pickups in the US with tires bigger than the truck and 'little abner' waving his ball cap at the crowd...

I'm becoming more convinced on the large tire issue...now, in the above photos there is a blue colored truck and a light blue color useta be favored by operators of emergency vehicles (fire trucks, ambulances, etc) because of high visibility...around 2001 someone gave me a new silver Camry to drive and man that was a cool ride...but now I want to protect my family and a high visibility blue color seems the way to go...

This idea of wide wheels and tyres giving more traction on wet roads is only correct during normal average rain. When you have very heavy rain with water flowing accross the road the wide tyres are more likely to aquaplane on the water lying on the road surface and shoot you sideways off the road. 20 years ago Frank Gardener, a former F1 driver and head of BMW Australia's Advanced Driving School developed and fitted Dual Wheels to the rear of BMW-M3's to prevent this as narrower tyres disperse the water much better and provide far better traction in very heavy wet conditions, so if you fit Fat Tyres keep this in mind when the rain is pissing down.

This idea of wide wheels and tyres giving more traction on wet roads is only correct during normal average rain. When you have very heavy rain with water flowing accross the road the wide tyres are more likely to aquaplane on the water lying on the road surface and shoot you sideways off the road. 20 years ago Frank Gardener, a former F1 driver and head of BMW Australia's Advanced Driving School developed and fitted Dual Wheels to the rear of BMW-M3's to prevent this as narrower tyres disperse the water much better and provide far better traction in very heavy wet conditions, so if you fit Fat Tyres keep this in mind when the rain is pissing down.

And the problem is multiplied when the tires wear down - my dad had 265 rears on his fairlane back in Australia, and that became very slippery, even in moderately wet conditions. Having said that I think you can upside 1 or 2 sizes safely - I feel my 215 give more grip than my stock 195 on my honda, but wouldn't go wider than that, even if I could which I can't.

What you want are the best quality tires (if you are to change them) - other's with more experience with pickups could chime in with some ideas here.

a on road tyre with larger footprint has advantages only on dry paved roads. In the wet it has less traction, and aquaplans easily, as it should, less pressure pr sqmm and longer distance to evacuate water (wider tyre)

But the quality of the wider tyre can compensate for this, or even make it better than smaller tyre. Izu is well known for providing dated crap tyres as stock, so most high end brand name tyres will be better, wider or not

More rubber better in the wet? Not necessarily - it depends on how good te tire is at clearing water so the rubber touches the road. It also depends on the kind of rubber.....there are many , many factors.

Low profiles have all sorts of ride problems.

Bigger wheels and tires will handle the potholes better.

As for handling - many don't really drive often or quickly enough to notice any difference. however on 4WDs and high-rise pick ups there is a centre of gravity problem and the higher they get the greater the risk......in general.

pickups are NOT likely to handle best with a one ton load in the back....they are designed to handle loads of "UP TO" whatever the manufacturer states - this does not mean they "handle" best with a full load.

Furthermore the greater the mass of the vehicle the more work the engine will have to do - you will detect a reduction in performance and fuel consumption.

Weight distribution on pickups is not usuallyery good - especially on 2dr models.

Edited by Histavia

I have a new Isuzu D Max cab 4 V Cross Z prestige on order. I have 20 inch alloy wheels on my old Isuzu. I will be re-installing them on my new truck.

I haven't noticed anything detrimental with the larger wheels and they have a wider tire so I have more rubber on the road so better traction AND better in the rain.

More rubber on the road = Larger "footprint = Increased road noise

Would this "modification" from standard cause inaccuracy in the speedometer reading?

Edited by GamLing

thanks for all the observations...but now looks like that for most driving conditions on paved roads at reasonable speeds that the stock tires supplied with a new vehicle are adequate (as tutsi tools along at 40kph in his new 140hp pickup in his baby bonnet and dummy)...big wheels and tires are a cosmetic preference...one can always upgrade to a better tire using the stock rims when the time comes; inferior quality stock tires should wear out quicker...

lots to be said for the old 2 piece steel rims: use 'em for a hibachi style bbq, attach scrap rebar for a potted plant stand, etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

More rubber on the road = Larger "footprint = Increased road noise

Would this "modification" from standard cause inaccuracy in the speedometer reading?

Yes, I have a deposit on the auto version. I discussed larger diameter wheels and they said that it nullified the warranty! Yes, of course it alters the accuracy of the speedo etc. Again I asked can it be sorted in the software ... they didn't know, however I know a guy who will know and will ask him.

Have you had a proper test drive yet ... I'm still waiting ... also have you seen one in an Isuzu Shop in BK ... I would like another look.

It is not the size/width of the tire that is of major importance but the quality of the rubber compound. Think about a F1 car with its wide rain tires. And the car weighs around 600kgs. Standard wheels on my DMax was 245/70 16 with Bridgestone Dueler tires. Absolutely lethal in the wet, also when new. Now I have 265/60 18 with Japanese Nitto Grappler tires and the difference in the wet as well as on dry surface is immense. The diameter difference is something like 10mm.

And it is correct that warranty is affected if you change while you still have warranty. But only for the wheels and brakes, not the entire car.

Bigger rims, 20 inch up, also means that the profile goes down more. This means the ride is struttier, harder and if you are on bad roads and hit potholes, the risk for damaging your rims is greater.

• 4 months later...

Tanaka is spot on. The standard tyres on most pick ups are a compromise between low cost / fuel economy / wear and perfomance. I know from experience braking and cornering perfomance is not particularly good for the Bridgstones Toyota and Mitsu use.

You can change the tyre size for cosmetic reasons. An upgrade to a higher performance tyre in the same or similar size will give you better braking and steeering response. you might have to replace them more often and at higher cost though.

I reckon it is a reasonable investment considering the suspension and brakes of most pick ups are fairly ordinary to begin with.