Are Thais Unfit?

theblether

In response to those who like reading while exercising, I just tried reading on a vertical stationary exercise bike and had to give up (reading that is). I just don't know how you do it. You must be really fit. I am bent over after 10 minutes making reading impossible. I cycled at an average speed of 24.4 km/hr for 30 minutes on a program that steadily increase the stiffness to the midway mark and then eases off. For those interested the rpm were between 85 and 100. And this is my normal rate as I have set myself a target of covering between 11.5 and 12.5 kms per 30 minute session. I even lose track trying to watch TV at the same time as I keep having to bend down.

Just did my second session with a ipad as a reader. I use a heartrate monitor and there is not much difference here between what i normally do. I dont think im that fit, i am pushing myself enough to get really drenched (even needed a headband so i wont drip all over the ipad). But if i increase intensity even more the time i do it will go down and i wont be able to use the ipad.

When i do HITT 1 min full then a minute normal rinse and repeat 5 or more times (with proper warmup and cooldown) .. no way i could read. So must be an intensity thing.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Thais unfit? My answer would have to be one should walk through any big box store in the States and ask the same question. If obesity is a measure of fitness, then Thais as a general rule are very fit. Perhaps many may not like to do a lot of walking or running, but if obesity is used as a measure Thais, as a general rule are much more fit than many. My wife (a Thai) enjoys vigorous exercise, walking, and running every day. Most of her friends are the same way. I will confess that it's sometimes a little disconcerting, however, to see some people at work during the daytime sprawled on a bench or a table sound asleep.

Alternatively, if your measure of fitness was "What weight of lard can you carry all day?" you would find us to be substantially fitter than the Thais. If it was "How recently did you see your willy without a mirror" then I would feel you were just being spiteful.

SC

Are Thais unfit? My answer would have to be one should walk through any big box store in the States and ask the same question. If obesity is a measure of fitness, then Thais as a general rule are very fit. Perhaps many may not like to do a lot of walking or running, but if obesity is used as a measure Thais, as a general rule are much more fit than many. My wife (a Thai) enjoys vigorous exercise, walking, and running every day. Most of her friends are the same way. I will confess that it's sometimes a little disconcerting, however, to see some people at work during the daytime sprawled on a bench or a table sound asleep.

Alternatively, if your measure of fitness was "What weight of lard can you carry all day?" you would find us to be substantially fitter than the Thais. If it was "How recently did you see your willy without a mirror" then I would feel you were just being spiteful.

SC

Funny, i wonder why people always think fat means not fit. Its just a indicator of being fit. Though i must admit in many cases it works. But slim is not the same as being fit at all. I put money on my grossly overweight dad against any slim 64 yo Thai when it comes to doing a long bike ride.

Maybe most are unfit these days, but at least they're not also fifty pounds overwieght like most westerners

Agree. This thread is comical. By far, the most unfit people in Thailand are westerners. It's not even close. Thais can certainly be more fit, but seeing the high percentage of farang lardasses--regardless of age--and I'm amazed that farangs would have the audacity to criticize Thais about fitness. You people crack me up.

Your input is cynical and unwarranted, the question I asked was Are Thais unfit?.............Not Are Thais Unfit Compared to Westerners.....if that is a question you would like to ask feel free to start another thread.

Your comments (in bold) reminds me of a joke related to how to answer your wife in the event she ask if you thought she was fat. One of the improper answers was "Compared to what?"

Of course you have to compare Thais to other societies to answer your question. It's like asking if Thais are good drivers. Well, compared to Egyptians and Chinese, they are pretty darn good drivers. For example. But seriously, what is your definition of fit? My GF is pretty darn fit, but she never works out. I'm pretty darn fit, but I do workout. Not as much as some, but more than most.

But let's be honest, by giving the example of how unfit your GF is, you are already suggesting that Thais are generally unfit. That they are lazy. I'm just disagreeing with you. Can I do that? Not trying to be cynical...

They are getting taller too. I don't know if this is from an increased gene pool or from growth hormones in chicken but 40 years ago when i got here with the Thai military they were little guys. Now, wow there are some tall blokes carrying guns here especially in the bodyguard ranks.

Maybe most are unfit these days, but at least they're not also fifty pounds overwieght like most westerners

Agree. This thread is comical. By far, the most unfit people in Thailand are westerners. It's not even close. Thais can certainly be more fit, but seeing the high percentage of farang lardasses--regardless of age--and I'm amazed that farangs would have the audacity to criticize Thais about fitness. You people crack me up.

You crack me up too not knowing the difference between fit and overweight. My dad 64 grossly overweight does around 10.000 km on his bike every year with many trips over 80 km at a brisk pace. He is quite fit but overweight, he got stamina that unbelievable. Compare him to the average 64 yo.

Also please compare people in the same age group not young Thais with old guys. I am willing to bet my overall fitness is a lot better as most Thais in my age group.

Are you trying to tell me that all these fat guys running around are in better shape than the skinny guys? Fat guys the world over are rejoicing! But seriously, I do know the difference between being unfit and being obese. At the same time, I'm sure you've read (or heard of) the thousands of medical studies that link obesity to all manners of ailments and diseases. Medical leaders in the US are calling obesity the biggest health concern of the 21st century. Millions in the US are obsessed with trying to lose weight. Yet, here you are....nevermind. Believe as you will.

You crack me up too not knowing the difference between fit and overweight. My dad 64 grossly overweight does around 10.000 km on his bike every year with many trips over 80 km at a brisk pace. He is quite fit but overweight, he got stamina that unbelievable. Compare him to the average 64 yo.

Also please compare people in the same age group not young Thais with old guys. I am willing to bet my overall fitness is a lot better as most Thais in my age group.

Are you trying to tell me that all these fat guys running around are in better shape than the skinny guys? Fat guys the world over are rejoicing! But seriously, I do know the difference between being unfit and being obese. At the same time, I'm sure you've read (or heard of) the thousands of medical studies that link obesity to all manners of ailments and diseases. Medical leaders in the US are calling obesity the biggest health concern of the 21st century. Millions in the US are obsessed with trying to lose weight. Yet, here you are....nevermind. Believe as you will.

I am saying there is a relation between unfit and fat. But i am saying its not always true.(in many cases it is). But slim does not mean fit and having stamina. I think you are confusing 2 things. I grant you that many obese people are totally out of shape. But just body weight does not mean your in shape.

You should study more and dont twist my words. There is just no 1 to 1 relation between overweight and not fit. Also no clear relation between skinny and in shape.

Edited by robblok

I am saying there is a relation between unfit and fat. But i am saying its not always true.(in many cases it is). But slim does not mean fit and having stamina. I think you are confusing 2 things. I grant you that many obese people are totally out of shape. But just body weight does not mean your in shape.

You should study more and dont twist my words. There is just no 1 to 1 relation between overweight and not fit. Also no clear relation between skinny and in shape.

Rob, I understand you more than you know. You're saying that some obese people may actually be fit. I hear you. And some lifelong chain-smokers will not get lung cancer. Yes. And some drunk drivers will get home safely. Yes. And some bargirls are trustworthy and "not like the others." Yes. So what's your point?

Point is that the topic is about fit people not obese people. Its not the same. Also skinny does not equal fit. That is the point.

You are saying all thais are fit because they are skinny and all obese are not fit because they are fat. You just cant say it like this because its just not true. Some of those skinny people might even be less fit then some obese.

Also fit is hard to describe.. am i fit when i lift weights.. or are you only fit when you run.. or when you cycle.. or swim.. ect ect. Anyway in general i have seen that Thais are not that fit. That does not mean foreigners are all fit.

Rob, I understand you more than you know. You're saying that some obese people may actually be fit. I hear you. And some lifelong chain-smokers will not get lung cancer. Yes. And some drunk drivers will get home safely. Yes. And some bargirls are trustworthy and "not like the others." Yes. So what's your point?

It is more than "some" the problem IMO is the insurance companies are behind the development of the actuary tables. case in point Howie long a very fit NFL player is overweight by the tables. I am in the process if making a series of videos for overweght and obese people because i am considered obese and overweight but i assure you i am not unfit. there is a differnce between obese and grossly obese typically when people are repulsivly fat they are grossly obese.

Point is that the topic is about fit people not obese people. Its not the same. Also skinny does not equal fit. That is the point.

You are saying all thais are fit because they are skinny and all obese are not fit because they are fat. You just cant say it like this because its just not true. Some of those skinny people might even be less fit then some obese.

Also fit is hard to describe.. am i fit when i lift weights.. or are you only fit when you run.. or when you cycle.. or swim.. ect ect. Anyway in general i have seen that Thais are not that fit. That does not mean foreigners are all fit.

I actually agree with most of what you say. My point is that it's hard to tell how fit a skinny person is, you just don't know. But you can be reasonably sure that an obese person is not fit. There are exceptions, of course, but overwhelming medical evidence suggest that obesity is not healthy. You can disagree with these findings, but I would tend to agree.

Why do people think obese when they think fat or over weight? Do the same people think anorexic when they think skinny or underweight? Not everyone over weight is obese and some individuals who do bugger all in the way of keeping fit seem to think that by the very fact they are not fat……..They must be fitter…..Really? I don’t think so, not for one second.

In my past, having to be fit for the job I did, I found the guys with all round fitness and endurance were, as we termed, ‘porkers’ we all carried a few pounds over, but we were fit. I learnt a long time ago not to judge, too harshly someone’s physical ability by the way they look.

Now if you’re talking obese, then sure, of course it will have a very serious impact on an individual’s ability to function and by definition will be un-fit………….Just like someone who is anorexic.

No disrespect intended what so ever, but some people posting really do not understand the relationship with weight and fitness, it is not so cut and dry as; fat guy = un-fit…….Thin guy……Well he must be fitter. As for Thais being un-fit…..Who knows, a little lazy, maybe, but no more than some farang I meet.

Edited by metisdead
Font, again, use the default forum font when posting!

The reason I started the topic was that I observed first hand my girlfriend getting out of breath after swimming a couple of lengths of the pool, so much so that I sent her to the doctor to see if there was an underlying problem and the doctor prescribed exercise.

I also mentioned the reluctance to walk, as one poster put it Thais are "allergic to walking".

I am in Chiang Rai today and I have seen two of the most obese Thai people I have ever seen, one guy was about 165 tall and must weigh in at about 130kg. It got me thinking about the Thai diet, I love the fish here, and Tom Yam Kung. When I checked out the way its made and the calorie content I was quite shocked, the other night I was in a restaurant and my Thai lady decided the Tom Yam wasnt quite right and got the kitchen to bring out more milk and sugar which she then ladled in.

I remember reading somewhere to be careful of the dishes containing coconut oil, and the ubiquitious fried dishes must carry a calorie punch too. There must be a lot of Thai food calorie traps out there.

Thais have more supple bodies than us western folk but fit they certainly aint. You notice when shopping ( on the motorbike ) they dont park and walk, the motor, stop, shop and onto the next shop, then they wonder why the battery goes flat!

Swimming is a problem too as said, I have taught my g/f to swim, now she is happy to play amd swim for 45 mins at a time. She finds it difficult to do a couple of lengths also but this is because she has not yet mastered the rythym of swimming, breathing and exhaling when she cracks that we will be away. She walks futher now and leaves the motorbike for anything under 20 mins and I have also got her a bike so we can have a ride around, peddle style, she is aware of being pum pooee and does not want to be that way and great incentive "I will give you 1000bts for every 1kg you lose." It goes into the bank for her. You can imagine how successful this has beenwai.gif

wouldn't the country who has more fat people per capita also have more unfit people per capita, not because there is a total connection as i have seen fat people who can go 12 rounds, but being everweight does not help.

Having taught new fighters at home and Thailand, and ran physical instruction coarses at both,I would say overall the westerners looked often close to death when the class was over, extremely poor fitness to in western schools, very bad.

remember the west are a nintendo nation, sitting playing and eating,many thai children still have to go outside and make there own fun.

I have no doubt in my mind Thais overall are fitter, absolutly no doubt, there diet helps also, they still eat maccas but mostly they stick to there thai food.

@mataus

Young kids i will believe.. but the moment they get older Thais get really lazy. Your remark about thai food doesnt stike me as true. I get fat from Thai food. The moment i cook for myself (meat low carb) i loose weight. There is so much suger in Thai foods its unbelievable.

I was thinking of this thread as I was working out today. Two guys were lifting on the next bench, both doing fairly well, but with 40 pounds less on the bar and with reps half as many as mine. They were watching me, and I felt the little ego boost. That is, until one guy came over and asked me if I was 60 years old (I am 53.) :(

• Like 1

I was thinking of this thread as I was working out today. Two guys were lifting on the next bench, both doing fairly well, but with 40 pounds less on the bar and with reps half as many as mine. They were watching me, and I felt the little ego boost. That is, until one guy came over and asked me if I was 60 years old (I am 53.) sad.png

Never mind. You'll reach that level of veneration soon. Thais don't revere youth in gentlemen the way that we do. Well, not me, obviously. I believe men in their mid-forties with a gut that can hold a keg,and a bald pate that shows their masculinity are the ideal idol (and dress sense that shows their afraid to fly in the face of fashion).

SC

@mataus

Young kids i will believe.. but the moment they get older Thais get really lazy. Your remark about thai food doesnt stike me as true. I get fat from Thai food. The moment i cook for myself (meat low carb) i loose weight. There is so much suger in Thai foods its unbelievable.

This sugar in food thing is interesting, I had no idea they put sugar in Tom Yam Kung, i thought I was doing well eating that particular dish but when I looked into it it was an unexpected calorie bomb.

Do you know how much sugar is in all food, even orange juice from the supermarket.

overall i'm being told here thais are more unfit, as a trainer i saw differantly but thats my experience only.

i am hearing here thai's have weight issues, I disagree, and now I am hearing our food is healthier then thai food.

come on let's be realistic,this is turning to BS. having trained both as I said and having so much knowledge of nutrition, I must disagree that thais are worse off.

Do you know how much sugar is in all food, even orange juice from the supermarket.

overall i'm being told here thais are more unfit, as a trainer i saw differantly but thats my experience only.

i am hearing here thai's have weight issues, I disagree, and now I am hearing our food is healthier then thai food.

come on let's be realistic,this is turning to BS. having trained both as I said and having so much knowledge of nutrition, I must disagree that thais are worse off.

Mataus,

Depends what you consider our food. What i eat isnt exactly standard food. But the moment i buy at the street i get fatter. Because much Thai food is deep fried, they also use not the quality of oil that i use. Plus there goes a lot of sugar in most dishes.

I don't know how long you have been here but been here 6 years i know what is going on food wise. I am one of those guys that gains muscle easy.. but fat too. So i am really food conscious.

I know that in normal dutch food no sugar is added, i cant say the same about When i go to a restaurant close to my home i always tell them not to ad sugar.

I think my knowledge of nutrition as a bodybuilder and someone who is prone to weight gain is equal to you at least. I have seen many Thai guys and i have trained with a few too. Cant say they were in great shape. Though some are in much better shape as me. But if you factor age in the picture looks different.

We just have different experiences its quit possible i stand with what i say. You should google skinny fat guys and read up about it. It can be just as bad as obese.

@mataus

This sugar in food thing is interesting, I had no idea they put sugar in Tom Yam Kung, i thought I was doing well eating that particular dish but when I looked into it it was an unexpected calorie bomb.

Normal dishes like pad pik keng also get extra sugar, even in the relative healthy isarn food sugar is added.Also in many road side restaurants they use the cheapest oil available for food.. palm oil. That isnt exactly good for you either. Every dish with coconut oil.. however delicious (i love Thai food) is a calorie bomb.

No I think you have misunderstood........there is no suggestion that Thais are more unfit than the average in the West. It seems that every thread on Thaivisa gets twisted into some sort of Thailand v The West competition.

I would swap the Thai national BMI with any Western nation any day.

I also train with Muay Thai boxers, their fitness levels are remarkable. The reason why I started the topic was that I found it remarkable that Thais will not walk any distance without complaining.

Just because you are slim doesnt mean you have cardiovascular strength.

ps In regards to your earlier post about foreign guys looking like they are fit to die after a training session, you need to take into consideration that your average Thai Muay Thai boxer spends a lifetime getting conditioned for the sport, the average foreigner is either a novice or relatively new to the sport.

If you put the Thai boxer into training for other sports such as 400 metre running he would collapse after two training runs, people end up conditioned ( obviously so ) for the sport they choose.

Edited by theblether

Its a defense mechanism of some people.. they think everything in Thailand is perfect.

When i say there is so much sugar in Thai food, its just to counter the myth of Thai food being healthy. I am sure there is healthy Thai food but in general and on the street it is not healthy.

The steamed chicken with rice is one of the better dishes.

I never said that Western food was perfect but there at least i know what is bad and what is not. Many people because they don't know assume all Thai food is healthy.

If you put the Thai boxer into training for other sports such as 400 metre running he would collapse after two training runs, people end up conditioned ( obviously so ) for the sport they choose.

Or let them lift some weights, they would be totally useless. Just like i am totally useless for anything they do. In not agile enough. I do get on the spinning bike (especially now that i have to loose weight again after being forced inactive for 3 months) to get some cardiovascular fitness too. Its now recognized that the best thing for the body is a mix of strength training and cardio

Its a defense mechanism of some people.. they think everything in Thailand is perfect.

When i say there is so much sugar in Thai food, its just to counter the myth of Thai food being healthy. I am sure there is healthy Thai food but in general and on the street it is not healthy.

The steamed chicken with rice is one of the better dishes.

I never said that Western food was perfect but there at least i know what is bad and what is not. Many people because they don't know assume all Thai food is healthy.

The assumption about the food is one that I was guilty of, I now try to stick to steamed fish as a staple of my diet, I would like to find a soup dish that doesnt include sugar too.

I believe you are mistaken, both in how you are reading the thread and in Thai food.

I have not read one post which states that Thais have weight issues as such. What many posts do state is that Thais are betting heavier than they have been, and quite frankly, that contention is backed by the Thai government.

On food, no, Thai food is not nearly as healthy as some people assume. Their heavy use of sugar, salt, palm oil, frying, and the re-using of oil renders many of their foods, especially that cooked on the street, and rather unhealthy. When compared to western fast food such as McD's, of course it fares well in comparison, but in the West now, more and more people are steering away from processed, snack, and fast foods and to a more healthier alternative. There is still a long way to go, but at least people are aware of the problem, and even the much maligned McD's offers healthier options.

That trend to a healthier diet has not really taken hold in Thailand yet. Caloric intake continues to rise as does the consumption of processed foods.

I love Thai food, and I look forward to each and every lunch I get at work. However, I can guarantee to you that what I cook at home after work, which is more often than not western food, is far healthier than my admittedly delicious lunches.

• Like 1

I see many more fat Thais compared with even a few years ago. It's quite normal to see fat 35+ Thai ladies with pear shaped bodies waddling about blocking doorways and such. I remember a few years ago it was mostly the older ladies 50+ who looked this way now I see teenage girls who look like miniaturized Thai elephants complete with flabby arms and fat calves.

Speaking of which the fitness center I frequent has some amusing sights. You see the same set of Thais show up at the crack of dawn but all they do is slow walk on the treadmill. It's usually a couple of fat ladies who do this too. I applaud taking the initiative to work out but what they are doing is an ineffective waste of time.

Edited by wintermute