Are Thais Unfit?

theblether

I suggest the OP buys a pushbike and joins one of the Chiang Mai bike clubs - He'll soon realise the meaning of fitness, how many Thais are super fit and how friendly Thais can be when one of them takes pity on him and gives him a lift home in the back of their pick-up.

Did you actually read the OP Guesthouse?.....the issue is not my fitness, the issue is my girlfriends fitness.....she couldn't do a couple of lengths of a 20 metre pool without nigh on needing oxygen.

Once again we have an expat expert on all things Thai (not) extrapolating his experience with his girlfriend into a generalization applied to all Thais - In this case asking "Are Thais unfit".

I take the OP at his word when he describes the sloth of his g/f, but if he's not happy with this aspect of her he might give her a piggy back down to the local exercise park where he'll find plenty of Thai women taking regular exercise. If his g/f is not inclined to take it up herself he might trade her in for one who does exercise.

Guesthouse, i'm pretty sure in general im in a lot better shape then most Thais. Though fitness is a funny thing. Someone who can bike good cant run or swim ect. Someone who lifts heavy weights can't run good ect. But my observation still stands many people are totally out of shape here. Farang and Thai more then where i come from. I come from Holland country of pushbikes.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walking is something only poor people do (school children dont even walk to school )

i used to live a mile from the MRT

every few minutes another taxi ,tuk tuk or motorcycle would stop to offer me transportation

they could hardly believe someone would walk a mile ........smile.png

This probably explains why Thais may think I'm a little weird. Unless I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, I walk. I've been refusing rides from tuk tuk and songtaw drivers for so long that the local tuk tuk drivers don't bother asking me. Everyone in my apartment knows the farang is going dern awk gamlang gai.

I see some Thais who are very fit. That said, the Thais I know are the most unfit people I've ever seen in all my life. Walking up 2 flights of stairs leaves them knackered.

That is the remarkable thing about it, and in my case I am talking about people I know in their twenties who are so cardiovascularly unfit. It doesnt bode well for the future.

What doesn't bode well are the increasing number of plump little Thai kids I see in the cities. It seems to be a relatively recent change, as I often see a couple of "slender" Thai parents with their "fattened" children. Unfortunately, obesity can be seen as an indicator of wealth and status in Asian countries, which then promotes more obesity. (No wonder Thais think farang are all rich -- considering the fat sots that most of my friends and family are back in the "Home Country" I can easily understand the perception). Add that to the lack of exercise and.....well I'd consider buying stock long in private coronary care facilities in Thailand. These young, sedate Thai butterballs are going to start keeling over in their 40s from heart disease. Welcome to the developed world. ;)

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

<p>

<br />
<br />
<br />

I suggest the OP buys a pushbike and joins one of the Chiang Mai bike clubs - He'll soon realise the meaning of fitness, how many Thais are super fit and how friendly Thais can be when one of them takes pity on him and gives him a lift home in the back of their pick-up.<br />

<br />

Did you actually read the OP Guesthouse?.....the issue is not my fitness, the issue is my girlfriends fitness.....she couldn't do a couple of lengths of a 20 metre pool without nigh on needing oxygen.<br />

<br />

<br />

Once again we have an expat expert on all things Thai (not) extrapolating his experience with his girlfriend into a generalization applied to all Thais - In this case asking "Are Thais unfit". <br />

<br />

I take the OP at his word when he describes the sloth of his g/f, but if he's not happy with this aspect of her he might give her a piggy back down to the local exercise park where he'll find plenty of Thai women taking regular exercise. If his g/f is not inclined to take it up herself he might trade her in for one who does exercise.<br />

<br />

<br />

</p>

What is wrong with you GuestHouse? can you not read the OP correctly? Do you not understand the question " Are Thais Unfit?"......where did I put myself forward as an expert on Thai fitness? I have asked a perfectly straightforward question and twice you have chosen to play the man.

Luckily other people have decided to play the question, maybe you could indulge us with your thoughts on Thai fitness matters, it would be more commendable than the garbage you have posted on this thread to date.

Certainly below your normal high standards.