Jomtien Bht Bus Rudeness

ga3443

The Thais are often right in complaining about the farangs who dont move up and allow more passengers to sit down. Far too often farangs pretend not to see someone and refuse to move up a bit and let someone sit down. The Russians are particularly bad when it comes to hogging the seats.

Of course the drivers themselves are another issue and if you are staying long term in Pattaya probably better off getting a bike or car to get around. Because the more you use the buses the more likely you are to run into trouble with some of these psychos.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Thai people have a big gap of level of education. For people who usually take baht bus, they earn low salary. Then, their action will be limited patient or politeness. I hope you guyz understand their behavior and maner but it doesn't mean we (Thais) hate farangs who visit Pattaya as tourists or long stay guests. Sorry to hear that too.

I think these buses are meant for the poor people...if one XXXXL size farang takes up two or three spaces for a single fare, probably the whole bus can accommodate only a dozen of them....give the poor chaps a chance i am sure farangs here can afford tuk-tuk, otherwise you won't be here..

WPFflags.gif

I also have suffered all of the above problems with these pick up trucks. They are not a Bus and they are only supposed to carry 11 passengers. I.e. 5 on each bench and one sitting inside with the driver.

I remember a few years ago riding in a songthaew (from the school stop) to Jomtien which had 22 passengers! Three in the front seat with the driver, 14 in the main compartment (six on each side, plus two children sitting on laps), and 5 hanging off the back! I wonder what that did to the suspension...

I think these buses are meant for the poor people...if one XXXXL size farang takes up two or three spaces for a single fare, probably the whole bus can accommodate only a dozen of them....give the poor chaps a chance i am sure farangs here can afford tuk-tuk, otherwise you won't be here..

WPFflags.gif

Tuk tuks in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

WPFflags.gif

Tuk tuks in Pattaya?rolleyes.gif

Try golf cart. Seen that.

Now, I always grab one on Pattaya Tai that is turning toward Jomtien.

I've often heard that advice, but how do you know the final destination of the bus? I've tried it twice ("The first time a mule kicks you, it's the mule's fault...") and both times got uncermoniously booted off the bus before even cresting the hill over to Jomtien. Then, try to find a passing bus with room on it on that span of the road...

• Like 1

Now, I always grab one on Pattaya Tai that is turning toward Jomtien.

I've often heard that advice, but how do you know the final destination of the bus? I've tried it twice ("The first time a mule kicks you, it's the mule's fault...") and both times got uncermoniously booted off the bus before even cresting the hill over to Jomtien. Then, try to find a passing bus with room on it on that span of the road...

Yes exactly. That is my experience too many times so I stick with the cattle. Also, if you do talk to the driver and ask, that opens a big baht can of worms.

I catch the song taew a lot & have had a few scary rides ( useless drivers) to & from Jomtien/Pattaya & I've witnessed some comical situations with drunks,lady boys, & bemused tourists but not much aggro. Last time I boarded one coming from Central Festival it moved to the right lane before the Pat. Tai intersection ( YAY!) and some indignant tourist passengers started saying " it's going the wrong way hey ! stop !" by the time they had worked it out we were in Arab town. My estimation is that if you catch a bus on beach road you have a 25% chance of it going to Jomtien.

Luck of the draw I guess.I refuse to be herded in to a bus and sweat it out waiting for it to fill up to (over) capacity. I have never had much trouble catching a bus from the beach road side on Pattaya Tai ; just indicate to the drivers in the right lane that I want to turn right at the intersection.Failing that or coming from another direction just walk past all the sweaty farangs sitting in the busses & head down past the school a bit , flagging one down is easy & usually not crowded. Never talk directly to the drivers.Maybe I have been lucky.

I catch the song taew a lot & have had a few scary rides ( useless drivers) to & from Jomtien/Pattaya & I've witnessed some comical situations with drunks,lady boys, & bemused tourists but not much aggro. Last time I boarded one coming from Central Festival it moved to the right lane before the Pat. Tai intersection ( YAY!) and some indignant tourist passengers started saying " it's going the wrong way hey ! stop !" by the time they had worked it out we were in Arab town. My estimation is that if you catch a bus on beach road you have a 25% chance of it going to Jomtien.

Luck of the draw I guess.I refuse to be herded in to a bus and sweat it out waiting for it to fill up to (over) capacity. I have never had much trouble catching a bus from the beach road side on Pattaya Tai ; just indicate to the drivers in the right lane that I want to turn right at the intersection.Failing that or coming from another direction just walk past all the sweaty farangs sitting in the busses & head down past the school a bit , flagging one down is easy & usually not crowded. Never talk directly to the drivers.Maybe I have been lucky.

That's what I do.

Only tried the cattle truck one time.

Real jerks running that operation on that corner.

You're using the transport method of the lowest common denominator in a 3rd world country.

What do you expect ?

Agree, the Cheap Charlie should buy his own car or motorbike. Even the baht-bus system is way superior to the MUNI public transit system in San Francisco.

It's not the "lowest common denominator" at all.

It's the only transport which makes sense in the tourist areas without taking the risk of riding a bike. I can't see even rich tourists buying their own cars on a 1 or 2 week vacation.

• Like 1

You're using the transport method of the lowest common denominator in a 3rd world country.

What do you expect ?

Agree, the Cheap Charlie should buy his own car or motorbike. Even the baht-bus system is way superior to the MUNI public transit system in San Francisco.

It's the only transport which makes sense in the tourist areas without taking the risk of riding a bike. I can't see even rich tourists buying their own cars on a 1 or 2 week vacation.

Ah, MUNI. That was BLISS on wheels.

post-37101-0-12588000-1325788090_thumb.j

Welcome to the raccoon cart:

post-37101-0-23781400-1325788390_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

What do you expect ?

You've never heard of a car rental before?

You've never heard of a car rental before?

Are you suggesting that a tourist should rent a car in order to travel between Jomtien and Pattaya?... or that an expat should be renting or buying a car to get around central Pattaya?

In my post I was referring to transport options which make sense.

Edited by tropo

If you are going to stay in Jomtien as a tourist or live there as an expat, you had better just accept the crowded baht buses as the cost of living there or as other posters have stated, use a work around to catch an empty Baht Bus or buy, rent or borrow a car or scooter to get around

Simple, no one forces you to go there

If you are going to stay in Jomtien as a tourist or live there as an expat, you had better just accept the crowded baht buses as the cost of living there or as other posters have stated, use a work around to catch an empty Baht Bus or buy, rent or borrow a car or scooter to get around

Agreed more or less, but there is no excuse for some of the behavior at the baht bus queue so I reserve the right to report on future and predictable outrageous incidents and hope to hear the same from others.

Agreed more or less, but there is no excuse for some of the behavior at the baht bus queue so I reserve the right to report on future and predictable outrageous incidents and hope to hear the same from others.

REMOVED

Not another insipid love everything here or go home post! angry.png

Walking back and forth Jomtien to Pattaya is not practical to do often. Maybe you aren't even familiar with the area? Don't bother answering.

Edited by Rimmer

REMOVED

Not another insipid love everything here or go home post! angry.png

Walking back and forth Jomtien to Pattaya is not practical to do often. Maybe you aren't even familiar with the area? Don't bother answering.

I am familiar with the area clap2.gif and I specifically chose not to live in Jomtien because of the crowded Baht buses, just like I chose not to live on the darkside due to the lack of baht buses. No one ever said go home, we just said don't grouse about where you chose to live

• Like 1