Fake Music Police Back For More

Ulysses G.

Everyone should be careful to not allow these conmen access to computers or music sources and do not go anywhere with them. They are not operating legally, but have cheated many business owners in Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

"They are back in Chiang Mai again, although seems to be different individuals. 4 nights ago they came in our bar with the typical BS. We didn't cooperate by showing them anything other than our music license and they made a big scene, scared most customers away, etc. They also tried to find what was feeding the amp with music but I got in their way physically and asked them in Thai what they are doing, and if they are thieves..."

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4948365

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 2 months later...

But where can you get these licences/

i have spent a lot of time on the internet searching for the licence provider. email replies from the PRI (i forget the name) tell me we have to contact the thailand office in bkk.

so where did you guys get a licence for your bars, your restaurant, your hair salon, your spa massage, and your cd/dvd shop,

was in walking st, sunday did anyone see the copper in uniform and helmet with the guitar and a young lass singing...right across from the police station...my first thought was did he have a perfoming rights licence... my second thought was...dont give up your day job

Like they put Ya Ba into your car and said they found it there, becareful not to let them touch your computer.

They could plug a thump drive in, auto unload an illegal software, and claim you did not pay for license.

Edited by sparebox2

I know this is quite old, but still very relevant - and since 2007 the situation continues to get more and more ridiculous...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/7029892.stm

Be thankful that it's the fake music police and not the real music police that are after you...

My first thought when I read the BBC story was "This is ridiculous." My second thought was "Can we use these ridiculous rules to shut down the people and businesses that play loud, obnoxious music we don't want to hear?"

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it still is or how recently this may have been a problem in CM, but thought I'd share this article. Ran in today's online Phuket Gazette. Has some good info on what to do if your establishment is involved.

PHUKET: Operators of entertainment establishments that utilize copyright protected songs should be wary of personnel claiming to be royalty collectors, a statement issued by the Department of Intellectual Property has warned.

The warning, published last week on the Ministry of Commerce website, said that the department has recently received a number of complaints from establishment operators in Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

The complaints were about groups, comprised of no fewer than five persons who reportedly were harassing operators of bars, restaurants, spas and other entertainment venues, demanding royalty payments on the basis of breach of copyright.

Claiming to be legally authorized by the original copyright owners, the suspects reportedly intimidated operators by threatening to have them arrested, resulting in even larger fines, the warning said.

The website also issued guidelines (below) to keep in mind when dealing with anyone claiming to be a copyright royalty collector.

Guidelines from the Department of Intellectual Property:

1. Ask to see an official police complaint stating the charges.

2. Ask to see an unexpired Power of Attorney authorizing the collection of royalties.

3. Inquire about which songs' copyrights were breached, and which copyright owners the songs were from.

4. Be aware that only a police officer is authorized to make an arrest.

5. Record the conversation and take photographs or video of the suspects and "officers".

Established operators are advised to report any incidents to the local police, and to review all copyright collection notification information from the central committee of goods and services by visiting ipthailand.go.th.

• Like 1