Help! Laptop Repair In Bkk

SanukDii

Thankfully never had to take my laptop for repair ......... if it will start in Safe Mode then 90% it's a driver issue. Most likely something new you've installed or a new updated driver (windows updates)?

So, start in Safe mode, type msconfig in start and this will open a system config box. One of the tabs is startup. I would suggest you un-tick everything and then restart. If it starts then this confirms it's a driver issue. If it doesn't hardware and you need a shop!

If it does start, go through the same process (msconfig) and put back one tick at a time and restart. Labourious I know, but you'll find the problem child eventually.

If you're not sure what each item is Google it (but of course you'd usually need a seconf computer for that).

I'm sure others can add to my suggestion but I hope that's of help?

Yeap, sure sounds like a software/driver issue...as Crossy recommeded do a System Restore to an earlier date/time when the laptop was still working fine...the System Restore menu will identify the dates/times available to you. With a little luck, you could be back up and running within minutes. Good luck.

Is it still under warranty? I believe there is a Toshiba Service Center in Fortune Tower Mall, 3rd floor. Fortune Tower is directly above the Rama-9 MRT station.

If not under warranty and the suggestions posted by others don't work, I strongly recommend PROCORNER computer repair shop, also on the third floor of Fortune. "Nick" speaks excellent English and is very competent and fair. He recently did a complete scan of a Gateway computer that had frozen on me. It took him over two hours to do but he only charged me B200. I had bad sectors in my hard drive but he was kind enough to point out to me that Gateway products were handled by Acer in Thailand and my computer was probably still under warranty so he directed me to their service center.

The shop is small and along the rear aisle. If you get off the escalator, walk straight ahead, then left at BANANA COMPUTER to the rear aisle, PROCORNER will be slightly right.

Phone: 02 642 0596 Hours: 10:30 to 20:00, Closed Sundays

Edited by dddave

So is the combined wisdom on TV that there are no reliable repairers in Phantip Mall?

I have a Think Pad X60s, which has given me close on 5 years trouble free computing but now needs a replacement fan. I've taken the back off and blown the fan out with canned air and oiled the spindle but it still rattles and gives an occasional 'Fan error' message on start-up - which I can escape-key my way through pro tem. I could take it apart myself having seen the U-tube guide, but firstly the screws on the keyboard connector tape are dodgy (ie I close to stripped them by not using a pro electronics screwdriver), secondly I'm lazy and thirdly I was assuming that labour for a simple task like this would be quite cheap at Phantip.

Edited by SantiSuk

Be careful with the cheap and cheerful computer shops around Bangkok; all they ever do in these situations is format it and you lose everything (3 times My daft ex wife did this despite my protestations that paying 1000 baht for a spotty kid to destroy everything was madness)

So is the combined wisdom on TV that there are no reliable repairers in Phantip Mall?

I have a Think Pad X60s, which has given me close on 5 years trouble free computing but now needs a replacement fan. I've taken the back off and blown the fan out with canned air and oiled the spindle but it still rattles and gives an occasional 'Fan error' message on start-up - which I can escape-key my way through pro tem. I could take it apart myself having seen the U-tube guide, but firstly the screws on the keyboard connector tape are dodgy (ie I close to stripped them by not using a pro electronics screwdriver), secondly I'm lazy and thirdly I was assuming that labour for a simple task like this would be quite cheap at Phantip.

i have had good luck with a guy named woody at pantip..he has small shop, speaks decent english and seems to know what he is doing and very fair price..tel is 085 100 0811...can't remember name of his shop....

Thanks guys.

I actually did a disk repair from the safe start up and everything seems to be working now (fingers crossed) I think the suggestions of driver issues by michaeljohn are possibly correct so when I get the time I'll definitely go through the process of elimination on that front.

Did the system restore when signs of a problem first started (browsers becoming non-responsive) and that worked for a while but eventually the problem returned. One things for sure...backing up everything today while it's still working!!!!! 2 years old now, so the disk may well be showing signs of age.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.