Skin Problem

fullwhenempty

I have a skin problem that is both new and puzzling to me. 10 days ago the top of both my feet blistered, then formed a scab and it now dries, then weeps, then dries, then weeps. Seems to become active (and itchy) in the evening. I figured it was perhaps part of the herpes family. Viral, not bacterial. I've read herpes tends to clear up after 5 days or so. But this shows no sign of clearing up.

What has been tried? Painting it with Iodine solution, no effect. Soaking in hydrogen peroxide, no effect. Aloe Vera gel and eating raw garlic, likewise. The pharmacy have given me a cream called Ketoconazole but I'm reluctant to try it after reading the possible side effects.

Any medical gurus know what it could be?

Uh, if you think it's viral (and I'm not suggesting it is), why are you using treatments for bacterial infections? And Ketoconazole is for fungal infections. A viral infection would be better treated with acyclovir.

Uh, if you think it's viral (and I'm not suggesting it is), why are you using treatments for bacterial infections? And Ketoconazole is for fungal infections. A viral infection would be better treated with acyclovir.

I treated for bacterial infection and fungal, initially, in order to exclude them as possibilities.

Acyclovir reduces the duration of outbreaks. An extra day or two didn't really matter to me, so I was happy to let it run its course.

I may give it a go if no other suggestions are forthcoming. A trip to a dermatologist is another obvious option but a cost I don't need to incur if they can't really help.

Stasis Dermatitis ? Or a version of that ? http://www.skinsight...sDermatitis.htm

I do spend many hours each day sat at my desk, and have done for more than 10 years. Poor circulation could certainly be a culprit.

Do a search on Dyshidrosis because that's what it sounds like, not serious but can be unsightly and sometimes painful

I've never heard this name before. As you say, it does sound like it. They have no idea what causes it and it can take months to clear.

Wonderful. Massage with my socks on. sad.png

Edited by fullwhenempty

I haven't known herpes to occur in that location, would be very unusual.

It would also be rather unusual to simultaneously develop stasis ulcers on both feet

Without seeing it and just from your description -- and from the fact that it is on the tops of both feet and only there -- my first thoughts are either a contact dermatitis (allergy to something that part of your body came into contact with) or sun exposure (so-called "sun poisoning". Tops of the feet are often exposed to direct sun when you are seated or walking).

Either or those would respond only to steroids as they are not infective processes.

Have you worn new socks or otherwise exposed the tops of your feet to anything new that the rest of you hasn't also been in contact with? (soaps, lotions etc?)

Does the area look like it could be blisters on top of sunburn/have your feet been exposed to much sun?

Safest course in any event is to see a doctor...who among other things would have the advantage of being actually able to see the lesions.

• 5 weeks later...

Found the answer. It seems my skin reacted badly to a new pair of sandals. I assume the manufacturer has doused them with a harsh chemical, which my body is sensitive to. The wound has almost healed after a week on anti-histamines.

Reminds me of a Thai g/f, who had a similar experience with a cheap new bra. It took months for her scars to heal.

I wonder how many other people are reacting to harsh chemicals in footwear and clothing?