Chiang Mai'S Worst Driver?

lannarebirth

I haven't found any definitive evidence, but as far as I know Volvo never 'made' cars in Thailand (or anywhere outside of Sweden and Belgium). What they did in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa and possibly elsewhere was assemble cars from CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits. This means that all the components came from Volvo's normal supply chain. I think that you would be hard put to find any quality difference between Volvos assembled in different locations.

/ Priceless

Agreed. Speaking of Volvo, I just fell in love. Saw the new S60 on the road in Chiang Mai in the Chotana area. Wow. And it's relatively affordable too at 1.9 MB. http://www.headlight...iland&Itemid=55

On the bat-crazy Zafira woman, I wouldn't recommend trying to take pictures, especially not if that means having to keep up with the same break-neck driving. Better to follow at some distance and then slip a note with the URL to this topic under the windscreen wiper. Or just express concern in person, of course.

lo-so white trash developments -- you still haven't explained your chose of these words - the saying of the term " white trash " in the US is the most demeaning - it is a racial term - it is a code word that says you are included with all the negativity and slurs that are pointed to the black community - again can you please explain to the thaivisa community your decision to use these particular words - you could have said anything but you chose these words again please explain

Wow

Did someone hit the mark?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of Farang drivers here acting like fools, mainly on Motorbikes. Seems to me that the minute they arrive in Thailand they lower their standards to the local level instead of setting the good examples that this country so badly needs.

When in Rome....

Edited by PoodMaiDai

lo-so white trash developments -- you still haven't explained your chose of these words - the saying of the term " white trash " in the US is the most demeaning - it is a racial term - it is a code word that says you are included with all the negativity and slurs that are pointed to the black community - again can you please explain to the thaivisa community your decision to use these particular words - you could have said anything but you chose these words again please explain

You may take life (and my posts) far too seriously. It seemed like a funny reference to apply to foreigners living in developments in Chiang Mai. I think we all know that you'd have to be somewhat normal and sensible to live in a development in Hang Dong, no matter which one it is. This opposed to folks existing in one-room guesthouses in the Thapae area. But those don't drive Zafiras, so let's get back on topic. :wai:

I see a lot of Farang drivers here acting like fools, mainly on Motorbikes. Seems to me that the minute they arrive in Thailand they lower their standards to the local level instead of setting the good examples that this country so badly needs.

When in Rome....

Yeah, but i ALSO see Farangs even with young one or two young kids on their motorbike around town, rarely with proper helmets. I don't see it quite as often in Chiang Mai as I do in Pattaya, but that really makes me wonder.

To finish the line: "When in Rome.... I don't throw myself and my family to the lions at the Colosseum."

You may take life (and my posts) far too seriously. It seemed like a funny reference to apply to foreigners living in developments in Chiang Mai. I think we all know that you'd have to be somewhat normal and sensible to live in a development in Hang Dong, no matter which one it is. This opposed to folks existing in one-room guesthouses in the Thapae area. But those don't drive Zafiras, so let's get back on topic. wai.gif

thank you for your explanation that YOU think this term is FUNNY

I also live in the area and seen her a few times. I just stay clear. As well as any foreigner driving a black fortuner.

What constitutes a "loso white trash moo ban"?

I just want to make sure I'm not in one of them.

You are probably not in one of them or you would know it.laugh.png

If you live in a moobaan where the farang population is about 50% or higher and you see the following, then you are probably in one of them:

1. a large number of older men sitting on their porches all day in dirty, sleeveless undershirts, unshaven, drinking Archa beer. (There is a guy where I live that just tosses the empties over the porch on to a large pile of trash on a dirt patch that was once a lawn). Just like back home in a trailer park in Alabama or Arkansas but hey it's cheaper here.

2. farang families living in 4K Baht/month run down houses in the back sois where the immigrant workers live; many of whom transport their entire families around (some with 3 or 4 kids) on a 20 year old motorcycle with one of those sidecars attached. No helmets of course.

3. shirtless, unshaven guys with long ponytails riding a beat up 500 Baht bicycle around the village with a small child on the back with a supply of beer in the basket.

4. Church groups renting homes and setting up daycare centers for their kids then allowing them to run around the sois in their underwear or on bicycles and not paying attention to cars traveling at high speeds in the moobaan.

Sadly the village where I live in Sansai and some of the neighboring villages behind me have been heading in that direction. But about a year ago people began raising the rents and a lot of the riffraff moved on.

You may take life (and my posts) far too seriously. It seemed like a funny reference to apply to foreigners living in developments in Chiang Mai. I think we all know that you'd have to be somewhat normal and sensible to live in a development in Hang Dong, no matter which one it is. This opposed to folks existing in one-room guesthouses in the Thapae area. But those don't drive Zafiras, so let's get back on topic. wai.gif

thank you for your explanation that YOU think this term is FUNNY

Not sure why you would take such offense. This is a term used by a white person to another white person. I've never associated the term with the black community. It's more synonymous with terms like trailor-park trash, rednecks, and such. I don't recall the Agent Starling character in Silence of the Lambs getting offended when Dr. Lector called her white trash. giggle.gif

Disclosure: Written in jest, so please refrain from blowing your top.

Possibly we need a new term that's Thailand specific, so we don't get the burden of what it might mean in the US, or other countries.

So.. Farang Trash... " Frash " ? Or the good old " PBMAF " ?

"Frash?" Doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Sounds more like a "car frash." For awhile there, it seemed like the term "backpacker" was sort of going that way....sort of like the "urban poor." But alas, there seemed to have been a back-lash. No doubt from actual backpacker dudes.

I'm Frash, and proud of it. Put that on a T shirt.

I to have had an encounter with angry lady in the Newer Chev Van, she rode behind my bike honking and gesticulating madly as I wouldn't let her share the lane entering world club one afternoon last month. She's was speeding and braking excessively for the speed bumps, and I just didn't want to be behind that. But she' did fit how I view the clowns.

I like Nikster's post and the imagery of clowns, you are not alone Nikster!

I'll start with the quick story of the 50 ish couple well known in the last town I lived for there bad tempers and bad driving. Picture a vertically challenged couple, both with quiet short or balding hair, plump, nicely ruddy facial complexions, and driving large american blinged out pick up trucks; often seen ranting and raving from drivers seat - is there a booster seat in there? - in so many ways they were like slightly larger then average toddlers throwing a temper tantrum. It was hard to not laugh out loud when that mental image clicked.

I saw the lady in the chev van as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because she didn't get her way. giggle.gif

When I see a rummy nosed, beer bellied frash/farang, riding helmet-less and dramatically expressing his anger to other drivers who didn't play by his rules; I see an older toddler who's just had the training wheels removed from his first bicycle and will get his share of bumps and scraps until he learns.

To the farang in the compact car that yelled at me for some minutes last month; something about dangerous driving and listening to music to loudly because me and other riders got in front of him didn't get out of his way when he tried a quick getaway from the light. Honked loudly at all those darn two wheeled things that didn't part when he demand; I pictured a new to the playground kid with a cool toy that doesn't want any other kids playing with it.

To the younger, would likely guess english teacher, that drives his scooter through our Moo Ban as fast as possible as just a young irresponsible teens giddy does with his first motorbike.

But yesterday I started picturing clowns. Fun.

Best Regards,

Kev

• Like 1

I to have had an encounter with angry lady in the Newer Chev Van, she rode behind my bike honking and gesticulating madly as I wouldn't let her share the lane entering world club one afternoon last month. She's was speeding and braking excessively for the speed bumps, and I just didn't want to be behind that. But she' did fit how I view the clowns.

I'll start with the quick story of the 50 ish couple well known in the last town I lived for there bad tempers and bad driving. Picture a vertically challenged couple, both with quiet short or balding hair, plump, nicely ruddy facial complexions, and driving large american blinged out pick up trucks; often seen ranting and raving from drivers seat - is there a booster seat in there? - in so many ways they were like slightly larger then average toddlers throwing a temper tantrum. It was hard to not laugh out loud when that mental image clicked.

I saw the lady in the chev van as a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because she didn't get her way. giggle.gif

When I see a rummy nosed, beer bellied frash/farang, riding helmet-less and dramatically expressing his anger to other drivers who didn't play by his rules; I see an older toddler who's just had the training wheels removed from his first bicycle and will get his share of bumps and scraps until he learns.

To the farang in the compact car that yelled at me for some minutes last month; something about dangerous driving and listening to music to loudly because me and other riders got in front of him didn't get out of his way when he tried a quick getaway from the light. Honked loudly at all those darn two wheeled things that didn't part when he demand; I pictured a new to the playground kid with a cool toy that doesn't want any other kids playing with it.

To the younger, would likely guess english teacher, that drives his scooter through our Moo Ban as fast as possible as just a young irresponsible teens giddy does with his first motorbike.

Best Regards,

Kev

This thread is appalling.

" the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible.........."

Pathetic

Edited by philw
  • Like 1

Best Regards,

Kev

This thread is appalling.

" the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible.........."

Pathetic

This thread certainly headed in directions I never imagined, but <deleted> you talkin' 'bout?

• Like 1

LannaRB... You are lucky to just have one road menace in your life. (Okay, you probably have others too.) My road menace today on the motorcycle was being passed by a pickup with about 3000 kilos of cement bags in the back. I figure he was going about 160 km an hour on Canal Road north of Huay Gaew. Just unreal to see that kind of recklessness. Last week it was a lady parked in the slow lane of Canal Road with high speed traffic going on one side and high speed motorcycles on the other side after dark. How she did not get creamed is beyond me. She must have gotten a phone call and thought it was safer to stop and turn off the lights.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I do not see where women in general are dissed. The OP is complaining about one specific woman and mentions "others", but I think that he means other bad drivers including men. unsure.png

Let's see -- postings # 2, 7, 8, 12, 18 aren't especially respectful toward women and could be taken to indicate that women aren't welcome on this forum. Don't worry guys -- I've got a thick skin and you won't get rid of me that easily, but many of my friends wonder why I read (and contribute helpful answers) to this forum when women clearly aren't welcome.

But, this thread does seem to have enought disrespect to offend just about anyone!

I've been a lurker on the Chiang Mai forum for 6 months now......almost on a daily basis.

There are a lot of antagonistic posters who seem to want to cause an argument.

I do hope you continue posting as you might be valued more than you think.

Chiang Mai has IMHO the worst standard of driving of any where in Thailand that I have practical experience of.

Thai or Frang and the longer I drive here the worse my own standard becomes.

john

You must have never driven in Puke-et then....

I've driven for four years in each place, Phuket and Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai wins the worst drivers award by several light years.

Chiang Mai has IMHO the worst standard of driving of any where in Thailand that I have practical experience of.

john

I've driven for four years in each place, Phuket and Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai wins the worst drivers award by several light years.

You're not the least bit concerned when following a couple of Farang tourists on motorbikes, up-hill out of Patong? rolleyes.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

john

You're not the least bit concerned when following a couple of Farang tourists on motorbikes, up-hill out of Patong? rolleyes.gif

That's not a problem - the only downside to driving in Phuket is that if you ever sound your horn at a Thai driver you could easily end up getting shot, it's a major major sin. Whilst the quality of driving here in CM is pretty primitive you can at least sound your horn safely, I theorize that many drivers don't know what it means, along with white lines on the road, traffic signals, speed limits, etc etc etc!

I don't get it.....I drive (both car and motorbike) both at night and day in and around CM for years and have never really had a problem. I think driving here is not too bad, just adapt and be aware of what's going on around you.

Yeah, you have bikes and cars going the wrong way, red lights are just a guide to some people etc etc, just adapt to that as well and incorporate it to your thinking and driving.

Highway Code here? Forget it. Just treat everyone else on the road as a psychotic crazy killer and you should be fine!

Worst I have seen is a few years ago at 2am poor (probably drunk) teenager, wiped out on the 118 and I had to avoid the body in the road! But even in the UK I am sure many people die from drink driving every year as well.

Edited by kjhbigv

I don't get it.....I drive (both car and motorbike) both at night and day in and around CM for years and have never really had a problem. I think driving here is not too bad, just adapt and be aware of what's going on around you.

Yeah, you have bikes and cars going the wrong way, red lights are just a guide to some people etc etc, just adapt to that as well and incorporate it to your thinking and driving.

Highway Code here? Forget it. Just treat everyone else on the road as a psychotic crazy killer and you should be fine!

Worst I have seen is a few years ago at 2am poor (probably drunk) teenager, wiped out on the 118 and I had to avoid the body in the road! But even in the UK I am sure many people die from drink driving every year as well.

Quite agree.

If you think driving in CM is crazy you must have led a pretty sheltered life.

Riding a bike is definitely chancing your arm (and more besides), and most of us probably know an endless litany of injuries and worse inflicted on scooter/bike riders.

Defensive driving is key here based on an expectation that many drivers have got little clue about urban driving, and with the snail like average speeds there's normally plenty of time to manoeuvre out of problems.

Playing judge, jury and executioner and rounding up a virtual lynch mob over some white woman's driving techniques has an unpleasant undertone to it. She is hardly alone in displaying poor driving, and anyway to quote that handy old Biblical sound bite "let he that is without sin cast the first stone".

• Like 1

That's not a problem - the only downside to driving in Phuket is that if you ever sound your horn at a Thai driver you could easily end up getting shot, it's a major major sin. Whilst the quality of driving here in CM is pretty primitive you can at least sound your horn safely, I theorize that many drivers don't know what it means, along with white lines on the road, traffic signals, speed limits, etc etc etc!

chiang mai and myself used to live on the same road when he lived in Phuket. And he might be relating the story about me tooting at a Thai guy in a Fortuna (I was on a Honda Dream bike) and he chased me up our road, pulled out a gun, and threatened to shoot me. Have to say I really believed he was going to do it as his eyes were blazing with drink or yaba. Sorry ... way off topic..

Now that I think of it, this same horrendous driver came up in a thread from a few years ago. Someone gave her name. Was it Audrey perhaps? I forget. So she hasn't killed herself yet. Not to say she hasn't possibly killed others. Probably a Home in Park or Lanna Pinery resident.

Good memory! Twas indeed Audrey on that old thread, she who came close to killing many, me included when she scorched through a red light at the moat end of Huay Kaew and almost emasculated me and the Honda Dream.

We are all safe from her at present, you'll be pleased to know. She has checked into a comfortable private hospital for a little rest. Saw her today, by accident. Pun intended.

Now that I think of it, this same horrendous driver came up in a thread from a few years ago. Someone gave her name. Was it Audrey perhaps? I forget. So she hasn't killed herself yet. Not to say she hasn't possibly killed others. Probably a Home in Park or Lanna Pinery resident.

Good memory! Twas indeed Audrey on that old thread, she who came close to killing many, me included when she scorched through a red light at the moat end of Huay Kaew and almost emasculated me and the Honda Dream.

We are all safe from her at present, you'll be pleased to know. She has checked into a comfortable private hospital for a little rest. Saw her today, by accident. Pun intended.

Yeah, she's special. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

Since when did your driving description as noted above constitute not too bad driving? What do you think is bad driving?

try driving in cambodia... especially at night..

when i lived in brasil, driving was very similar to standards here in CM, except then (the 70s), cars were even known to drive on the sidewalks if they felt it would speed things up... and this was in Rio. I had more than one taxi ride that involved sidewalks.

Bolivia (another place i lived) had driving on a par with CM and driving in Italy, while more regulated, can be just as challenging...