Chiang Mai'S Worst Driver?

lannarebirth

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of Farang riding motorbike toward the opposite direction on Loi Kroh Road and on the Sa paan lek near rimping.

Its legal, there's a contraflow lane for bicycles and motorbikes.

..wrong.this is a bicycle lane only..put there to encourage a 'greener' image for Chiang Mai. Sadly, last year, well known local Rutger Adink was struck whilst crossing Loi Kroh Road one evening by a Korean visitor belting the wrong way up Loi Kroh Road on a motor cy. As a result Rutger fell and struck his head on the kerb, causing a massive fractured skull..he died two months later. After extensive lobbying with his family they and the City Council have done nothing. This is an extremely dangerous street, really only wide enough for a single line of vehicles. Not just 'farang' doing the wrong thing here. So how about reporting correctly, or at least do your homework first.

..wrong.this is a bicycle lane only

Correct. It is only a bicycle lane, but both Thais and a number of Westerners use it as an excuse to drive motorcycles the wrong way on Loi Kroh road. It is dangerous to everyone, but selfish drivers do not care. sad.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

I also live in the area and seen her a few times. I just stay clear. As well as any foreigner driving a black fortuner.

What constitutes a "loso white trash moo ban"?

I just want to make sure I'm not in one of them.

I to am waiting for the definition of this from WinnieTheKhwai as to this attitude and an explanation

There are indeed a number of "loso white trash moobaans" around C.M. and that area of Hang Dong seems to have a few of them.

I love the way you some of you guys are complaining about the nasty comments on lo-so white trash moo baans, but no one has pointed out the bigotery expressed in the other comments that women in general are bad drivers and shouldn't be allowed to drive. One bad female driver doesn't mean that we all are!

Edited by NancyL

"There are indeed a number of "loso white trash moobaans" around C.M. and that area of Hang Dong seems to have a few of them."

Ok, what would be a couple of the names of them?

Also what part/area of Hang Dong would you be speaking of?

I'm more than willing to promulgate the notion of women as super bad drivers. That way all you guys will give me a wide berth and I can have more of the road to myself.

PS I don't drive a Zafira!!! giggle.gif (or a Fortuna!!)

Now that I think of it, this same horrendous driver came up in a thread from a few years ago. Someone gave her name. Was it Audrey perhaps? I forget. So she hasn't killed herself yet. Not to say she hasn't possibly killed others. Probably a Home in Park or Lanna Pinery resident.

Must be; likely not Ban Nai Fun anyway, it would have to be one of the more lo-so white trash developments. I guess that means Koolpunt is also a likely candidate.

Anyway it's a small town; just a matter of time before one of us gets a firm location, then we can give her the URL of this topic so she knows people notice, and are concerned. Could very well end up saving lives.

lo-so white trash developments -- whats with it with you guys??!! I don't understand - is it that your jealous because you live in a 5k bht one room guest house? please enlighten all of use

HEY ! ! ! What you got against 5K bht one room guest house,,,,, seems like the pot calling the kettle black.....

I live in a 5K bht one room guest house and I easily could afford better ,,,,,, 6K and maybe even 7K bht one and a half room guest house suite....jerk.gifcowboy.gif

G

I'm so afraid of driving in this town I bought the car equivalent of a tank. It's a 14 year old Volvo that can withstand just about anything. Bad gas mileage, though.

I may get flamed for this but I don't believe Volvo's manufactured in Thailand are built to the same safety standards as those manufactured in Sweden. I've owned Volvo's before in the USA (one had over 480,000 original km on it and still drove very nicely!) and they were indestructible. I've seen wrecked Volvo's in Thailand and they look like a toy car that was dropped. My g/f's father was killed driving a Volvo made in either Thailand or Malaysia (probably Malaysia since he was from Malaysia). He was wearing a seat belt but didn't survive. The other driver fled the scene (in his car that caused the accident).

Edited by elektrified

As the OP it was not my intention to smear women drivers, anyone's neighborhood, or any particular motor vehicle. Nor do I believe her aggressive driving is representative of any skill on her part. On the contrary, I merely intended to point out that there drives amongst you a particularly antagonistic, combative style driver who puts all vehicles around her at risk everywhere she goes. Be wary of this one, seriously, she's going to kill someone.

Also, if this was just one of the run of the mill bad drivers around these parts I'd have never posted at all.

Edited by lannarebirth

"There are indeed a number of "loso white trash moobaans" around C.M. and that area of Hang Dong seems to have a few of them."

Ok, what would be a couple of the names of them?

Also what part/area of Hang Dong would you be speaking of?

Well, "hi-so" moobaans around Hang Dong/Mae Hia would arguably include Nai Fan 2, much of Lanna Thara and the one next door to the Serene Lake construction (name escapes me).

"Low-so" moo baans are "in the eye of the beholder".

Edited by folium

I know I am alone on this one but what I find completely idiotic is to complain about other drivers.

Ask any one person if other people drive stupidly every day. 99% will say yes. Then ask the same person if they, themselves, ever drive stupidly. 99% will say no. Now logic dictates that there is an error in there somewhere because it can't be that everybody else is driving badly and at the same time nobody makes mistakes. How can that be?

Many times when you see somebody do something "stupid", it's not stupid, it's just that you don't know the reason for it. It surprises you, perhaps even frightens you. So your judgmental mind sees the other party at fault. At the same time you might have a very good reason to do something other people don't expect - and they think you're doing something stupid!

I think what drove this home for me was one car commercial - it was touting said new car's safety features. In it a car was driving through an old town somewhere in Europe. The streets were deserted apart from clowns. The clowns would do stupid things, and the car would brake in time, go around them, etc. It was beautifully shot. But that really drove the point home for me - this is the way we see the rest of the world when behind the wheel. It's all clowns. And each of those clowns thinks the same.

At the end of the day, road rage baffles me. It's utterly senseless, and just to the detriment of the one suffering it (and sometimes others when they lose it completely and cause an accident or get into a fight).

Drive defensively. Love one another. Cheers.

Of all the lame posts on this forum, this is in the lead for 2012. Is driving into oncoming traffic stupid? Is not looking when you drive on a road stupid? Come on man. I wouldn't answer that 99% of drivers drive poorly.. I'd actually say about 2 percent dangerously.. Which is plenty high enough.

You are right though that there's not much that can be done about it, so why complain... I guess it's because it's such a big part of everyday life. When someone you know gets hurt by wreckless driving, let us know how you feel about it, ok?

..wrong.this is a bicycle lane only

Correct. It is only a bicycle lane, but both Thais and a number of Westerners use it as an excuse to drive motorcycles the wrong way on Loi Kroh road. It is dangerous to everyone, but selfish drivers do not care. sad.png

Since when have Thai's needed an excuse to drive the wrong way up a one way street. They even drive down the superhighway on the wrong side in the wrong direct. Give us a break.

Electrified. Good point. I didn't know they made Volvo's in Thailand and assumed it was imported years ago. Does anyone know how I can find out where the car was made?

I haven't found any definitive evidence, but as far as I know Volvo never 'made' cars in Thailand (or anywhere outside of Sweden and Belgium). What they did in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa and possibly elsewhere was assemble cars from CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits. This means that all the components came from Volvo's normal supply chain. I think that you would be hard put to find any quality difference between Volvos assembled in different locations.

/ Priceless

• Like 2

We have someone like that in our village, won't say where just to keep the peace, but he drives through the village as though he was already on the highway.Selfish is a good description of a driver like that in my opinion. There's no way someone driving aggressively could be described as a good driver, sure if they did it on a racetrack but not on public highways.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I do not see where women in general are dissed. The OP is complaining about one specific woman and mentions "others", but I think that he means other bad drivers including men. unsure.png

Let's see -- postings # 2, 7, 8, 12, 18 aren't especially respectful toward women and could be taken to indicate that women aren't welcome on this forum. Don't worry guys -- I've got a thick skin and you won't get rid of me that easily, but many of my friends wonder why I read (and contribute helpful answers) to this forum when women clearly aren't welcome.

But, this thread does seem to have enought disrespect to offend just about anyone!

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing it, but I do not see where women in general are dissed. The OP is complaining about one specific woman and mentions "others", but I think that he means other bad drivers including men. unsure.png

Let's see -- postings # 2, 7, 8, 12, 18 aren't especially respectful toward women and could be taken to indicate that women aren't welcome on this forum. Don't worry guys -- I've got a thick skin and you won't get rid of me that easily, but many of my friends wonder why I read (and contribute helpful answers) to this forum when women clearly aren't welcome.

But, this thread does seem to have enought disrespect to offend just about anyone!

Don't feel victimised Nancy. There are a lot of people on here who hate everyone, regardless of nationality, colour, creed or sex. Something to do with being 'Macho' and generally looking down on others. Not withstanding the aforementioned; there are a lot of nice and very helpful folks on here as well......including your very good self. My Father always used to say 'Civility costs nothing, so share it in abundance'.

• Like 1

Since when have Thai's needed an excuse to drive the wrong way up a one way street. They even drive down the superhighway on the wrong side in the wrong direct. Give us a break.

Can't argue with that post .... clap2.gif I see it everyday.

Tell me about it! Normally, I don't care what the Thai's do, but I get upset when they pull that stunt on the motosai with me riding pillion angry.png

There'd have to be a very busy trophy shop to hand out the worst driver awards if you really got down to it. I think the lady in the black SUV deserves some criticism as we DO receive a good amount of highway safety and driver's training, and so to ignore it and drive recklessly or greedily is irresponsible as we comprehend the full dangers of our actions, and have a different take (perhaps) on mortality and the value of life.

That being said, I do aggressively pass bad/ unpredictable/ meandering, on cell phone/ aimless drivers or car-n-truck juggernauts by gunning the moto and going around - often right up the median or temporarily on the other side's lane, as for me it's much safer to get back to a space with open room and freedom to go without worry about the whims of the erratic person in front of me. This is definitely an American and former-video-game-kid tendency in me. But my record seems to support that I do it safely ! (knocks knuckles to head...)

And Miss Nancy L..... Don't you dare say you or women aren't welcome ! Of course you are, and your input is greatly appreciated. It's always a pleasure to have another level-headed poster on TV. I think even the old crabby gits welcome you, it's just that it's a rough enviro and it takes some b@@lls to wanna get into the fray with everyone else. Good on you and the other few ladies that pop up on here ! Stay strong n keep doing what you do. If more women wouldn't get dissuaded and only lurk (despite the smell of old testosterone) the online environment could get the critical mass to change the vibe. Lord knows you n SBK (most of the time smile.png) exercise a good deal of patience....

Edited by realthaideal
  • Like 1

Probably the best recourse is, when this hell-on-wheels is spotted by you again LRB- get up behind her, draw alongside, then whip out your mobile or a digital camera....and conspicuously take a photo of her face, and her licence plate. Make sure she sees you doing at least one.

Might slow her down.

You know well as I that it is pointless going to the fuzz with this info.

I haven't found any definitive evidence, but as far as I know Volvo never 'made' cars in Thailand (or anywhere outside of Sweden and Belgium). What they did in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa and possibly elsewhere was assemble cars from CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits. This means that all the components came from Volvo's normal supply chain. I think that you would be hard put to find any quality difference between Volvos assembled in different locations.

/ Priceless

Agreed. Speaking of Volvo, I just fell in love. Saw the new S60 on the road in Chiang Mai in the Chotana area. Wow. And it's relatively affordable too at 1.9 MB. http://www.headlightmag.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1932:volvo-s60-cbu-299-&catid=85:new-cars-in-thailand&Itemid=55

On the bat-crazy Zafira woman, I wouldn't recommend trying to take pictures, especially not if that means having to keep up with the same break-neck driving. Better to follow at some distance and then slip a note with the URL to this topic under the windscreen wiper. Or just express concern in person, of course.

/ Priceless

Agreed. Speaking of Volvo, I just fell in love. Saw the new S60 on the road in Chiang Mai in the Chotana area. Wow. And it's relatively affordable too at 1.9 MB. http://www.headlight...iland&Itemid=55

On the bat-crazy Zafira woman, I wouldn't recommend trying to take pictures, especially not if that means having to keep up with the same break-neck driving. Better to follow at some distance and then slip a note with the URL to this topic under the windscreen wiper. Or just express concern in person, of course.

lo-so white trash developments -- you still haven't explained your chose of these words - the saying of the term " white trash " in the US is the most demeaning - it is a racial term - it is a code word that says you are included with all the negativity and slurs that are pointed to the black community - again can you please explain to the thaivisa community your decision to use these particular words - you could have said anything but you chose these words again please explain