Nationwide Swift Transfer

i thought i would try the new swift transfer on the new internet web site

and found that if i moved 1000 pounds to my bangkok bank i would be charged 25 pounds

yes the swift was quick next day the exchange was good and no fee from bangkok bank

but yes i got stung by a third party fee of 20 ponds by hsbc so it cost 45 pounds not 25 as told by nationwide

i did the swift to save i thought on useing the debit card 5 times and save with those charges so beware you cant beat the bank

If your account here is with Bangkok Bank then you should probably take a look at their service to transfer funds from the UK.

You make a free Fast or BACS payment from your UK bank to the London branch of Bangkok Bank, and they credit your account in Thailand the same day, for a total charge of GBP20.

Ive never paid an extra 20 quid

It depends entirely on whether the sending bank can deal directly with the receiving one or not. If it cant then it goes via a third bank which also makes charge.

Is this a rip-off? Of course it is.

Thanks for the tip Bedbugy.  Today I sent a form off to Nationwide International IOM to set up designated accounts for internet transfers.  I also designated my parent's address in UK to receive cheques ordered over the internet.  Guess I'll use the latter option & have my mum pay the cheque into HSBC account so as to only get stung once.

Edited by MESmith

Ive never paid an extra 20 quid

It depends entirely on whether the sending bank can deal directly with the receiving one or not. If it cant then it goes via a third bank which also makes charge.

Is this a rip-off? Of course it is.

Must be the case with Kasikorn then

Must be the case with Kasikorn then

No, it depends on both banks.

If they can "talk" to each other there is no extra charge. If they cant "talk" to each other there is a third-party charge.

Different banks have different correspondence arrangements with each other, and the trick is to find an overseas one that can talk directly to your Thai one.

Today I sent a form off to Nationwide International IOM to set up designated accounts for internet transfers. I also designated my parent's address in UK to receive cheques ordered over the internet. Guess I'll use the latter option & have my mum pay the cheque into HSBC account so as to only get stung once.

I use the Nationwide International IOM to transfer money to my Kasikorn account, it only costs £20 as it's to a designated accout, and there are no extra charges, except the Kasikorn charges up to 300 Baht to receive it.

When I first used the internet method I expected that the transaction would be completed on line, but what you are actually doing is sending a secure message and they do the transaction manually, never had a problem though. Just note that if the message is received after 10.00 or 10.30, cannot remember which, the transaction is actioned the next working day.