Eva Versus Thai Premium Economy

st11x

G'day,

I need to get from SFO to CNX, and is thinking of flying either EVA Premium Economy or drive down to LAX to fly Thai Premium Economy.

They are about the same price now, so I am seeking opinions on both if you have taken them on these routes. It seems like the Thai version has better seats and less cramped? That is the most important criterion.

With Thai, I can book a through route from LAX to BKK, not so with EVA. In any case, I can book a separate domestic route or just hire a car and drive to Chiang Mai.

thanks

Matt

No, if I drive from SF to LAX, then I would book all the way to CM on Thai. If I fly from SFO with EVA, I am going to have to book a flight separately from BKK, or drive.

So I will end up driving one way. .

You would drive from SF to LAX and then drive from BKK to CM? Two very long trips... Something isn't right here.

I'd been let down by some old clunky Thai machines in the past and since changing to EVA have never looked back. That being said, I'm about to fly Korean Air for the first time to avoid extra cities n stops altogether.

If EVA does partner with BKK Air - and that sounds kind of familiar - then why not just leave from your local airport (SFO) and make it easy on yourself ? There is a pretty appreciable difference flying Evergreen Deluxe vs regular Economy on EVA so maybe look into that while you're at it. But I enjoy even Economy on EVA..... it's a classy operation.

Edited by realthaideal

I'd been let down by some old clunky Thai machines in the past and since changing to EVA have never looked back. That being said, I'm about to fly Korean Air for the first time to avoid extra cities n stops altogether.

If EVA does partner with BKK Air - and that sounds kind of familiar - then why not just leave from your local airport (SFO) and make it easy on yourself ? There is a pretty appreciable difference flying Evergreen Deluxe vs regular Economy on EVA so maybe look into that while you're at it. But I enjoy even Economy on EVA..... it's a classy operation.

I have been flying EVA for five years now to Seattle. The Deluxe Economy I take is it the same deal as Thai premium economy. Last year I used up all my upgrade points and will be looking at other air lines this year.

Korean is the first one I will look at. If they do not have a comparable deluxe economy I will look else where. I get the feeling I will still be flying EVA.

Yes Eva will forward your luggage to another carrier if that carrier will take it. In the past I have used Thai airway to come to Chiang Mai. Also Bangkok Air no problem forwarding with either one.

Let us know what you decide and the cost if you do not mind.

Something to watch out for. I have flown EVA Economy Deluxe to/from the US (through Taipei) many times and have generally been satisfied, except for once. It happened on one trip that the aircraft for the BKK-Taipei and Taipei-BKK legs did not have a Econ. Deluxe section with the bigger seat and I was forced to sit regular economy. Believe me I complained vigorously about this but in the end had no option. Apparently with EVA you are only guaranteed the Econ. Deluxe seat on the trans-pacific legs. I was still complaining when I got back to Thailand and eventually my travel agent here (bless her) managed to squeeze a 4000 Bt refund out of EVA. Moral: Check aircraft types and configurations carefully before booking.

Does SFO-BKK require a terminal change in TPE? That can be a drag when you're already tired. Personally, ex-SFO itself beats ex-LAX hands down, but I've found that stopping in Tokyo or Taipei leave me wanting to scream for the last several hours in any class, wheras LAX-BKK at least gives me the chance to sleep through the worst of it. Each to his/her own, of course.

Thank you for all your thoughts.

kjhbigv, did you clear customs @ BKK? I would prefer to do that @ CNX.

hellodolly, I was looking at Korean for the forward trip too (return has too long of a layover). But they do not have the premium economy class, wished they did though, it would have been the best flight timing wise. Did you also clear customs @ CNX if the domestic leg is a different booking?

We haven't booked our flights yet. Our travel is further complicated by our two dogs; we are bringing them with us. Going via EVA requires two stop overs (if we flew from BKK). On the way back (to SFO), clearing customs @ CNX is easier else we have to run around in Bangkok to clear the pets. Did that before and want to avoid doing that again.

My wife and I both have 11K points with EVA each, and we could redeem a premium economy ticket each for the period we want to travel. Just 1k points more and we could redemm the business class tickets. But EVA makes it impossible to get that 1K without first flying again, and the points will expire next year. We might just use the points before they are gone.

If we save the points for a future trip, I believe EVA premium can be had for about 1.4K on special or about 2K normally, while Thai from LAX to CNX is 2.2K (LAX to BKK is 1.9K).

thanks

Matt

Thank you for all your thoughts.

kjhbigv, did you clear customs @ BKK? I would prefer to do that @ CNX.

hellodolly, I was looking at Korean for the forward trip too (return has too long of a layover). But they do not have the premium economy class, wished they did though, it would have been the best flight timing wise. Did you also clear customs @ CNX if the domestic leg is a different booking?

We haven't booked our flights yet. Our travel is further complicated by our two dogs; we are bringing them with us. Going via EVA requires two stop overs (if we flew from BKK). On the way back (to SFO), clearing customs @ CNX is easier else we have to run around in Bangkok to clear the pets. Did that before and want to avoid doing that again.

My wife and I both have 11K points with EVA each, and we could redeem a premium economy ticket each for the period we want to travel. Just 1k points more and we could redemm the business class tickets. But EVA makes it impossible to get that 1K without first flying again, and the points will expire next year. We might just use the points before they are gone.

If we save the points for a future trip, I believe EVA premium can be had for about 1.4K on special or about 2K normally, while Thai from LAX to CNX is 2.2K (LAX to BKK is 1.9K).

thanks

Matt

I cleared immigration in Bangkok and customs in Chiang Mai. I believe if you are coming from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with Bangkok you can by pass immigration in Bangkok. Not sure on that. If the domestic leg is one such as air Asia where you can not have your luggage automatically forwarded you will have to clear customs in Bangkok. That is the reason I use Thai Air or Bangkok Air for the domestic leg.

You might want to talk to a travel agent. I know Bangkok Air has a lounge for all their customers and I believe you can go straight to it with out clearing immigration there in Bangkok

For the most part I was flying business class but to be honest with you for me I believe the seats in Deluxe Economy were more comfortable. Please realize that is just my comfort I am talking about not a opinion on the seat comfortably for others.

As for the dogs a friend of mine uses EVA because it is easier for him with his two little dogs. Personally I don't know.

Good luck

"kjhbigv, did you clear customs @ BKK? I would prefer to do that @ CNX."

No, when I got off the Eva plane from London, there was a BKK Airways girl waiting for me, literally as I got off the plane, she took me (and a couple of others) to another check-in desk INSIDE (after BKK customs) the airport, so no, I did not need to go through BKK customs.

Something to watch out for. I have flown EVA Economy Deluxe to/from the US (through Taipei) many times and have generally been satisfied, except for once. It happened on one trip that the aircraft for the BKK-Taipei and Taipei-BKK legs did not have a Econ. Deluxe section with the bigger seat and I was forced to sit regular economy. Believe me I complained vigorously about this but in the end had no option. Apparently with EVA you are only guaranteed the Econ. Deluxe seat on the trans-pacific legs. I was still complaining when I got back to Thailand and eventually my travel agent here (bless her) managed to squeeze a 4000 Bt refund out of EVA. Moral: Check aircraft types and configurations carefully before booking.

I've done the Thai Premium Economy from LAX-BKK return a number of times over the past years. The only time Thai Air did not have a plane with Premium Economy seating, I got bumped up to Business Class. They even apologized for not having a window seat in business class since I had one booked in Premium Economy.

David

No, when I got off the Eva plane from London, there was a BKK Airways girl waiting for me, literally as I got off the plane, she took me (and a couple of others) to another check-in desk INSIDE (after BKK customs) the airport, so no, I did not need to go through BKK customs.

Did they check you through immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

I know that they have a lounge they will take you to not sure if it is without going through immigration.

When I few with Thai to Chiang Mai I had t go through immigration and up to the top floor in the cow barn and check in there and then I was taken to their lounge. I fly the business class to get the use of the lounge for the five hour wait.

Edited by hellodolly

Did they check you through immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

I know that they have a lounge they will take you to not sure if it is without going through immigration.

When I few with Thai to Chiang Mai I had t go through immigration and up to the top floor in the cow barn and check in there and then I was taken to their lounge. I fly the business class to get the use of the lounge for the five hour wait.

Actually, that is correct, after I was checked in by BKK Airways for the flight BKK-CNX and then had to go through the normal 'internal' immigration/passport control bit, that is always empty and takes a few seconds.

Thanks for the warning lexilis, I just checked their timetable and indeed the BKK to Taipei leg is on the airbus which has no premium economy.

From BKK to Taipei, either you sacrifice and be on the economy class, or you make do on the older 747 from Taipei to SFO if you do not want a 1 day layover in Taipei.

I flew the business class from BKK to SFO once, but never on the return. And on that one trip, I had to be so dumb to choose both the airbus and the 747! I understand that the business class is totally different on the 777.

So I have booked ourselves on EVA.

I had totally forgotten about the difference in baggage allowance. When you said BKK Air will transfer your bags from EVA, will they charge you more for the additional bags that were considered within limits on EVA?

thanks

Matt

I had totally forgotten about the difference in baggage allowance. When you said BKK Air will transfer your bags from EVA, will they charge you more for the additional bags that were considered within limits on EVA?

thanks

Matt

I don't think Bangkok Air will even know... Your luggage will be checked thru to CNX (MAKE SURE YOU BAGGAGE CLAIM TAGS SAY CNX)... So the people at the BA checkin counter will never get a chance to view/weigh your baggage ;-))

thanks

Matt

So you will not be getting deluxe economy from Taipei to Bangkok.

Yes we will, but not on the return leg.

I figured I'll take economy on the shorter leg and then premium on the 777 on the longer journey, over premium (on 777) to Taipei followed by premium on the 747 to SFO.

I rang Bangkok Airways (in BKK) and they say they will not check through, and they want to sedate the dogs even for that 1 hour flight. Thai was better, but they also will not do check through.

I guess they will only do it if you had make the travel arrangements with an agent that makes everything in one booking.

So you will not be getting deluxe economy from Taipei to Bangkok.

thanks

Matt

I don't think Bangkok Air will even know... Your luggage will be checked thru to CNX (MAKE SURE YOU BAGGAGE CLAIM TAGS SAY CNX)... So the people at the BA checkin counter will never get a chance to view/weigh your baggage ;-))

i flew CX from JFK-BKk recently and transferred to Bangkok Air. bangkok Air knew my baggage was over their own limit (within CX's limit) and charged me accordingly. That's the first time it has ever happened.

every bag is weighed when you check in. It's pretty easy for them to send that info on to the connecting airline. I expect it will happen regularly now.