Online Activities Bad For Morality: Thai Culture Ministry Secretary

webfact

Thai youths' online activities had increased from 23 per cent in 2007 to 31 per cent in the following two years. An estimated increase to 35 to 40 per cent was possible next year.

The Pue Thai tabloid project will surely get better results next year! Just a PT-farce to keep youths dumb and let them play games on internet instead of studying! Good for the continuation of the political corruption in the country. Not a single Government in the last 50 years has ever been serious on this matter(education) and instead of improving, it's getting worse and worse... See where Thailand is ranking in general on mathematics. Check it out yourself at a superstore when money has to be returned... It's deliberate and on purpose! "Keep them dumb up-country so that we can continue vote-buying and cheat the country's "human" resources".

What faecesbook is concerned; this is a dirty laundry washrope hanging out your window where everyone can see what kind of troubles you are having with no discretion and no privacy. No wonder its numbers are growing almost the fastest in the world here in Thailand. A therapy for bored people with lots of free time but without any taste of reality and having nothing else to do than to "Faecesbook"! Yes, go on whis way and continue to keep the population dumb by populism, tablet computers and faecesbook memberships. There is no better way than this one if you want to keep it "democratic"!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion doesn't make people good. It just makes them feel better about the dubious things that they do, as often there are mechanisms to alleviate the guilt, i.e. hail Mary's, making merit, etc. People are judged by their actions; many Thai parents who can afford it would prefer to pay someone to look after their kids and go golfing or shopping and maybe visit a special friend on the way back home in the evening. Still, Thai kids are expected to respect and obey characters of questionable quality throughout all echelons of Thai society, and on the face of it they do (for an easy life). There are a lot of dissident voices on Facebook. It's also a gateway to a wider world view where many different versions of the truth can be obtained. No wonder the culture creators are getting hot under the collar:)

Narrow minded cause I'm not fetching girlfriends online? This is simply hilarious. Shy to ask a girl for a date? I am 30, I own a computer since I was 9 years old, but I received an education from my parents who tried and push me for as many outdoor activities (fun wise). You guys can say whatever you want, but let me know what you're gonna do when your kid is gonna turn out obese, as sedentary as their grandfathers and with their eyes looking like a panda bear.

I know internet and electronics in general are the biggest part of our new life, can't argue on that. But why not teach kids to use one of them Nintendo WII or Xbox Kinect and move their <deleted> sometimes? Why not take them out jogging with you? Send them for basketball, soccer, swimming, whatever practice?

With some of the opinions here, no wonder the new generation is gonna drive us straight to hell. Kids that are made, owned and distributed by corporations that not only own us, but our kids too.

Simply amazing...

I think you didn't got his point. He means that you are narrow-minded (without trying to offend you I think), because in this internet-age you simply spent more time on the pc and on social networks and stuff then 20 years ago, so it's not more than normal that you will also have more chance to meet someone on the net. 21 years ago you had (most likely) no access to the internet and if so it was not the same net as we know it now (I use the internet since about 20 years ago, which then was text-based (with lynx etc if that says something to you). Let's face it, when you owned a computer 20 years ago you were considered to be a geek (I was:)). Now it's the otherway.

Now I'm not saying that you can't meet a girl just outside the internet. Of course you can and many will, but pc's and social media are just daily life now, so for sure there is a higher chance that you can also meet a partner through the net.

By the way, besides learning to use a pc/iPad etc. as a tool, to study and also to play games etc. my daughter also likes her ballet classes. Furthermore I also bought and will still buy non-electronic toys (like Lego, an old fashioned schoolboard, wooden toys etc.) to stimulate that as well.

Anyway, to keep my post on topic: to claim that online activities are bad for morality is just BS.

Actually 20 years ago, '92, I was friends with a lady who ran a Text Only BBS sex role playing BBS, from a single tower PC in a back room. For any gender variation you wanted to be, in fact you could change them by changing your profile... and some showed up at different parties as different genders as they felt that night. Whyatt Erp on night 3 weeks later Mae West. It had regular get togethers around NYC.

Sushi bars, warehouse bathhouses, upscale yuppie dungeons, even poetry readings and Sun Ra club dates. All from a core of about 25 regulars and 3,500 stop - ins. And you most certainly could get your ashes hauled around from those parties, plenty of straight but tolerant friendly possibilities.

The point being this has never been an unusual thing on the net once it went public.

But regardless of availability, people who will gravitate toward sexual pursuits,

will do so no matter whether linking to hook-up via the virtual world or the real one.

But the online people and methods are not the root cause of this.

Hormones and loneliness are.

People just like to get laid, and will do so whether mom and pop approve or not,

and that was the same in mom and pops time too.

Edited by animatic

going out playing kids games, do sports and what most of us (in our 30s or older) used to do when we were kids.

I think that finding girlfriends online is just pathetic

"going out playing kids games, do sports and what most of us (in our 30s or older) used to do when we were kids."

Yes, I did that too when I was a kid, BUT then again all the electronic toys (PC's, iPads, touchscreen phones, Xbox etc.) were not easily available as it is now was it? The KEY is that you as a parent (I think you don't have kids if I read your comment (correct me if I'm wrong)) are responsible of what content they get exposed to. My 2 kids (1,5 and 4,5 year) are already using the PC and iPad, but I make sure that they cannot find violent games to play. You need to use these electronic toys in advantage to help them learn their ABC's etc. Of course it's more difficult to control the more old they get, but the point is that you as a parent for sure have influence in this.

"I think that finding girlfriends online is just pathetic"

Well, it's just the modern way of communication, so for sure there are more people who find a girl on the net (I didn't, but I can imagine that it can happen more and more in this Facebook time)

Good on you to try and explain this. I find many friends on the net and I have never considered myself pathetic. My cross cultural knowledge is expanding and improving daily.

Just let a few western teenagers go nuts, shoot their teachers and schoolmates, let the police find a few special games on their comp and then guess what takes the blame? No news here, almost politicians blame something or someone else, it's their nature. Like most things though, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Media in general can have a bad impact on kids, but it's never the reason. The reason are their parents who missed out to teach their kids to take responsibility.

going out playing kids games, do sports and what most of us (in our 30s or older) used to do when we were kids.

I think that finding girlfriends online is just pathetic

"going out playing kids games, do sports and what most of us (in our 30s or older) used to do when we were kids."

Yes, I did that too when I was a kid, BUT then again all the electronic toys (PC's, iPads, touchscreen phones, Xbox etc.) were not easily available as it is now was it? The KEY is that you as a parent (I think you don't have kids if I read your comment (correct me if I'm wrong)) are responsible of what content they get exposed to. My 2 kids (1,5 and 4,5 year) are already using the PC and iPad, but I make sure that they cannot find violent games to play. You need to use these electronic toys in advantage to help them learn their ABC's etc. Of course it's more difficult to control the more old they get, but the point is that you as a parent for sure have influence in this.

"I think that finding girlfriends online is just pathetic"

Well, it's just the modern way of communication, so for sure there are more people who find a girl on the net (I didn't, but I can imagine that it can happen more and more in this Facebook time)

Good on you to try and explain this. I find many friends on the net and I have never considered myself pathetic. My cross cultural knowledge is expanding and improving daily.

Was talking about dates...not just friends...anyway, I'm not gonna go on and on about it, everyone has the right to it's own opinion

Just let a few western teenagers go nuts, shoot their teachers and schoolmates, let the police find a few special games on their comp and then guess what takes the blame? No news here, almost politicians blame something or someone else, it's their nature. Like most things though, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Media in general can have a bad impact on kids, but it's never the reason. The reason are their parents who missed out to teach their kids to take responsibility.

That's +1 from me! You got it right!

I smile when I see the comments....

"It was better before Internet, when kids were out playing instead of sitting in front of the computer!"

Naw, I don't think it is not the kids or youths who are in trouble with their socializing and Internet.

It's you, who doesn't keep up with the evolving society. You are getting old.

I smile when I see the comments....

"It was better before Internet, when kids were out playing instead of sitting in front of the computer!"

Naw, I don't think it is not the kids or youths who are in trouble with their socializing and Internet.

It's you, who doesn't keep up with the evolving society. You are getting old.

I take it as a compliment. Since you have that almighty internet around, try googling "right to an opinion", or some government censored that where you are and now you're convinced that there is no right for an opinion :)

Thailand is suffering from modernization, just like many other countries? Thats my take on it. Also if you live in a city, people are too busy going to work every day to live the traditional Thai life. That is spending all your time visiting funeral parties, attending wedding parties, attending making a monk parties, helping your neighbours in the fields, spending all day cooking food to sell to your neighbours, spending all days gossiping with your neighbours, etc. The irony is these country people sit around all day with nothing to do complaining about being poor while they wait for the city relatives to send them money (the ones who have to go to work every day).

Everything has good points and bad points. I believe that Facebook, or Farcebook(ha ha) and Twitter have more bad points than good. Looks like to me they cause lots of divorces and problems in the world.

Are you for real? How can facebook and Twitter cause divorce? Do you live in some kind of fantasy world?

Evidently not.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/08/facebook-us-divorces

http://www.geeksugar.com/Facebook-Divorce-Statistics-14661424

Instead of making the internet out to be the devil, use it for positive things. Why can't it bring parents & kids closer together? Buddhist Dharma can spread even faster or interest be rekindled via the internet.

In the end the internet just "is". It's how we use it that makes it 'good' or 'bad'. You can learn so many things on the net, find out whatever you need to know or you can waste your time on it and use it to harass others. It's up to everyone.

Ministry of Culture has and always will be the collection-ministry of those that fail at life and need an easy way out. It is a manufactured Ministry without any purpose and is responsible for more inane suggestions and proposals than all other ministries combined - and that doesn't say a little!

The sooner someone axes that complete fabrication of a Ministry, the better.

I couldn't agree more (and I'm sure TAWP will know how hard it was for me to say that)!

It takes a principled person to agree with someone they dislike.

"Thai young people's current distant relationship with their parents......................"

That's rich.

Most of the kids I know ( not many) dont know who their parents are. Working parents farm the kids out to relatives who have different standards and home comforts. I can think of several children who are socially inept, lost in no mans land and severely lacking confidence all through being passed round the relatives while the parents make a better life for themselves. These kids come and visit me and my wife as we are a consistent value, wow are they clutching at straws.

I would suggest that the main constant in these kids lives is the internet or communication that the internet provides

Many Thai kids more or less raise them selves. No parental guidance. No one to correct them when they do something wrong. When relatives raise their relatives, I've heard many times, "they won't listen." The duty of a parent is to make a 8 year old child listen. But, that's impossible when the parents are living some place else. I am a firm believer of "spare the rod, spoil the child". Something Thai's have no concept of. sad.

"Thai young people's current distant relationship with their parents......................"

That's rich.

Most of the kids I know ( not many) dont know who their parents are. Working parents farm the kids out to relatives who have different standards and home comforts. I can think of several children who are socially inept, lost in no mans land and severely lacking confidence all through being passed round the relatives while the parents make a better life for themselves. These kids come and visit me and my wife as we are a consistent value, wow are they clutching at straws.

I would suggest that the main constant in these kids lives is the internet or communication that the internet provides

Many Thai kids more or less raise them selves. No parental guidance. No one to correct them when they do something wrong. When relatives raise their relatives, I've heard many times, "they won't listen." The duty of a parent is to make a 8 year old child listen. But, that's impossible when the parents are living some place else. I am a firm believer of "spare the rod, spoil the child". Something Thai's have no concept of. sad.

"spare the rod, spoil the child"

Have you ever seen a Thai child being punished?

One of the best things a farang can do in Thailand is facilitate healthier venues for youngsters. There are a many ways to this. First, you need to decide what venues you feel are well suited for kids. It may be a tennis court, or aikido classes, or a community vege garden (unknown in Thailand), or something similar to what I do: create park-like spaces from rural land parcels that were formerly sticker weed-covered.

There is joy in observing children genuinely enjoying themselves in a healthy environment. It can be as simple as setting up a see-saw or a rope swing from a tree. Obviously, you want to make it as safe as possible. Other suggestions: sand box, jungle gym, baseball diamond (of course it will be used for soccer), basketball hoop, hiking trail (yes, I've done some of those also in Thailand). If you're not so much in to building things outdoors, try setting up an arts & crafts scenario. Make it free and easy to join. Just yesterday, I bought some acrylic colors to die sand. What can you do with colored sand? Make artsy designs in recycled glass bottles or make sand mandalas.

We're all getting older and none of us are going to live forever. Why not spend a few sheckles assisting the younger set?

That's rich.

I'm also a firm believer to spare the rod (or hand) and I have to say my kids listen to me most of the time. Of course they are exploring their boundaries, but that's a normal process.

I see a big difference between my daughter and her almost the same age nice (almost 5 years old now). My daughter listens much much better and not only that, she seems to understand much more and actually thinks when she does something, whereas the nice seems way behind and doesn't seem to listen.

It's just a matter of raising your kid the right way. Don't get me wrong, it's not easy to raise kids, but for sure you as a parent has the most influence on them, so you better use that. It's the simple things. Our small nice drops every garbage she makes (paper from a candy or whatever) on the place where she is at that moment. My 1,5 year old son already knows and uses a trashcan! He even enjoys to throw away his own diaper after I have changed himpassifier.gif

That's rich.

Clearly you don't know too many Thai people with kids (or are not close enough to see that they certainly do hit their kids). I don't know many Thais who will not hit his kids (both educated and un-educated Thais that is!).

I can tell you this. Our 10 year old cousin listens much better to me than to his parents! I make him cry sometimes, but I don't hit. His parents however do hit and in the end he listens much better to me than to his parents who totally lost control over him. Actually I worry a bit what will happen to him when he's about 16 year etc. Hopefully all will be fine, but if he meets the wrong friends at school and his parents not controlling him it will go wrong.

Friends and colleagues all have various feelings about social networking, esp Facebook. I find it very useful to keep in touch with friends and family, and it is also useful as a business and marketing tool. I hate the games on it, and block them all, but some find them diverting.

Those who talk about the dangers of Facebook need to put things into perspective. It is the same as going to a party. You can interact, have fun, make friends, see old ones, act respectfully, and gain good karma in general. Or you can go around sniping, acting rude, and generally be a dweeb and eventually get in trouble for it. All up to the individual how it (the party, or Facebook) is used.

With regards to the "Culture Minister", he's just looking for some face time with the press. Guys like that sound exceedingly old fashioned and out of it. If he was really interested to make some change, he would try and discover what the youngsters love about Facebook so much, and then try to find a way that Thai culture could be promoted though it.

Edited by tominbkk

Like everything in this world, everything has to be treated with common sense in order to work. Congratulations for the way you're raising your kids, I'm terrified for the moment when I'm going to have mine. I know that everything I talk about it's easier said then done. But just because the current trend points internet and all this electronic era, doesn't mean that this is the right way...all I'm saying is that we should have the right to interact with the world the way common sense dictates us. Everything is beautiful as long as it's natural and makes sense, for us as souls and reasonable, rational, decent human beings

Hi alexth,

no need to be terified to raise kids. Just give them guidance and do what you think would be the best for them. Raising a kid (or more kids) is not easy, but as you said use your common sense and everything will be fine. The problem with Thai people is that they don't seem to have common sense!

As for your feeling about internet and electronics. Well, it's just that they are much more available now than in the past, so you need to find a balanced way to live with them. Don't hate them, just use them to your advantage and try to give this to your (future) kids as well. The internet can be a wonderful thing (it can be used for information (but need to be careful) and communication, it can be used to learn something (if used the correct way), to entertain you (movies/games etc.) AND it can be used to make money (I have a webshop as well besides my normal job.). As I said, try to use the modern tools to your advantage.

Facebook & Twitter has cause many legitimate govt to fall. It should be band before another one bite the dust.

Good think that North Korea & Cuba have restricted access to the Internet. Perhaps Thailand should learn from a good example.

That's rich.

Try google. There are lots of clips, especially the Catholic school in Thailand caning Thai boys.

Like everything in this world, everything has to be treated with common sense in order to work. Congratulations for the way you're raising your kids, I'm terrified for the moment when I'm going to have mine. I know that everything I talk about it's easier said then done. But just because the current trend points internet and all this electronic era, doesn't mean that this is the right way...all I'm saying is that we should have the right to interact with the world the way common sense dictates us. Everything is beautiful as long as it's natural and makes sense, for us as souls and reasonable, rational, decent human beings

Hi alexth,

no need to be terified to raise kids. Just give them guidance and do what you think would be the best for them. Raising a kid (or more kids) is not easy, but as you said use your common sense and everything will be fine. The problem with Thai people is that they don't seem to have common sense!

As for your feeling about internet and electronics. Well, it's just that they are much more available now than in the past, so you need to find a balanced way to live with them. Don't hate them, just use them to your advantage and try to give this to your (future) kids as well. The internet can be a wonderful thing (it can be used for information (but need to be careful) and communication, it can be used to learn something (if used the correct way), to entertain you (movies/games etc.) AND it can be used to make money (I have a webshop as well besides my normal job.). As I said, try to use the modern tools to your advantage.

I never said I hate internet and electronics, being away from my main business, internet and electronics is what allows me to be away and enjoy Thailand while doing some other things here, no way I hate any of it. I'm just saying that kids are spending more time than they should in front of computers and IMHO parents should show them a basketball or a football from time to times, I'm pretty sure that won't make them regress, it's called health for God sake

Another failed attempt at seeking a solution that should be placed into the laps of those who procreate, and not making an excuse to fund man-made beliefs and institutions that simply take advantage in the void left by mom and dad.

The beasts of the field have a perfect record for raising their young to fend for themselves and survive and behave in a manner that is predictable for their kind.

Were, say, Thais subjected to this role model, they would fail miserably as most other cultures would also.

If we are describing the development of the human mind here, then we need to ask ourselves why we are describing kids who have aged for 16 or 17 years, and never question what factors got them to that state of question during the time they were developing?

It is an exercise in futility to even discuss this, as the environment that exists is not constructed or geared in a manner to develop a healthy and productive human mind; and never will it seems.

Government and religion is a cottage industry that rudely strives to replace the role of responsibility that falls in the lap of the producers of these humans; the father, mother or legal guardian (grandma, in most cases).

This article offends me, as it is quite evident that Thai religion and government do not seem to have any sort of respect towards the role of the parent role in the family. I feel I can justify this by citing the obvious examples that there is no real clear evidence of admonishment against the parents when crime and delinquency occurs. There is too much forgiveness in this society that almost smells of apathy, and is instead disguised as forgiveness.

On the other hand, perhaps religion and government here want it that way. Perhaps they want to take over the role of raising their young citizens so that they can create mindless, mantra-chanting. authority-worshiping automatons.

There's a saying that goes, "I am my father's son". Perhaps when we examine the father we will begin to understand whether or not there exists a father-like example in this country that is noble enough to strive for, and moreover, for government and religion to take the hand of the stray offspring and firmly point the child back in that direction.

Instead, religion and government take the stray child's hand and omit the father and provide a playground of excess and freedom, so that the child develops into a self-centered, selfish, bi-polar animal that has no regrets or ability to be responsible for his or her actions and the consequences thereof.

Yes! Let's forget Dad and Mom because they are nothing more than a child in an adult's body. Let's continue to nurture man's belief that government and religion can teach a child the things that dad and mom can't. Better yet, let's take the words between the lines of this article and boldly come out of the closet and imply that fathers and mothers aren't good enough to raise their own offspring and prepare them to fend for themselves in Thai society, much less international society; because that is what this offending article is implying; AGAIN, as others like it.

Every single article I have read on this subject, in the 12 years I have had a "relationship" with Thailand, I have yet to read where the father and mother are the sole responsibility, or that the authorities forcefully place that responsibility on said father and mother. This issue seems to always get edited out of the article.

So, let religion and government continue to damage the human race by sidestepping what should come naturally, and teach children to bear children and revolve instead of evolve.

My opinion.

• Like 1

Everything has good points and bad points. I believe that Facebook, or Farcebook(ha ha) and Twitter have more bad points than good. Looks like to me they cause lots of divorces and problems in the world.

The cause of the divorces and other problems is that the idiots who use them post messages or send pics via these sites thinking that they are secure and private when they send them to an addressee. The sites themselves are not to blame.

Another failed attempt at seeking a solution that should be placed into the laps of those who procreate, and not making an excuse to fund man-made beliefs and institutions that simply take advantage in the void left by mom and dad.

The beasts of the field have a perfect record for raising their young to fend for themselves and survive and behave in a manner that is predictable for their kind.

Were, say, Thais subjected to this role model, they would fail miserably as most other cultures would also.

If we are describing the development of the human mind here, then we need to ask ourselves why we are describing kids who have aged for 16 or 17 years, and never question what factors got them to that state of question during the time they were developing?

It is an exercise in futility to even discuss this, as the environment that exists is not constructed or geared in a manner to develop a healthy and productive human mind; and never will it seems.

Government and religion is a cottage industry that rudely strives to replace the role of responsibility that falls in the lap of the producers of these humans; the father, mother or legal guardian (grandma, in most cases).

This article offends me, as it is quite evident that Thai religion and government do not seem to have any sort of respect towards the role of the parent role in the family. I feel I can justify this by citing the obvious examples that there is no real clear evidence of admonishment against the parents when crime and delinquency occurs. There is too much forgiveness in this society that almost smells of apathy, and is instead disguised as forgiveness.

On the other hand, perhaps religion and government here want it that way. Perhaps they want to take over the role of raising their young citizens so that they can create mindless, mantra-chanting. authority-worshiping automatons.

There's a saying that goes, "I am my father's son". Perhaps when we examine the father we will begin to understand whether or not there exists a father-like example in this country that is noble enough to strive for, and moreover, for government and religion to take the hand of the stray offspring and firmly point the child back in that direction.

Instead, religion and government take the stray child's hand and omit the father and provide a playground of excess and freedom, so that the child develops into a self-centered, selfish, bi-polar animal that has no regrets or ability to be responsible for his or her actions and the consequences thereof.

Yes! Let's forget Dad and Mom because they are nothing more than a child in an adult's body. Let's continue to nurture man's belief that government and religion can teach a child the things that dad and mom can't. Better yet, let's take the words between the lines of this article and boldly come out of the closet and imply that fathers and mothers aren't good enough to raise their own offspring and prepare them to fend for themselves in Thai society, much less international society; because that is what this offending article is implying; AGAIN, as others like it.

Every single article I have read on this subject, in the 12 years I have had a "relationship" with Thailand, I have yet to read where the father and mother are the sole responsibility, or that the authorities forcefully place that responsibility on said father and mother. This issue seems to always get edited out of the article.

So, let religion and government continue to damage the human race by sidestepping what should come naturally, and teach children to bear children and revolve instead of evolve.

My opinion.

I agree with the gist of your post. Humans have these big brains and hence big psychological problems which no other species comes close to being aflicted with. Sure some humans are content and nurturing, yet most are afraid, cruel, controlling, self-debilitating - whether meaning to be or not. Buddha spoke at length about the prevalence or human suffering. He was, among other things, one of the world's greatest psycho-analysts.

I see humans, on the development scale, as very primitive in a general sense, when viewed through the prism of mental well-being. No other species comes within light years of humans - in terms of the psycho damage we do to ourselves and others of our species.

Yes, mean-spirited/ultra controlling religions are a part of that equation, but it's a much bigger ball of wax.

Ministry of Culture has and always will be the collection-ministry of those that fail at life and need an easy way out. It is a manufactured Ministry without any purpose and is responsible for more inane suggestions and proposals than all other ministries combined - and that doesn't say a little!

The sooner someone axes that complete fabrication of a Ministry, the better.

I couldn't agree more (and I'm sure TAWP will know how hard it was for me to say that)!

It takes a principled person to agree with someone they dislike.

Yes the Thais would be better off with out this minister's generally inane pronouncements and ministry.

Transfer him to an inactive post, like Ministry of Silly Walks.