Credit Card Fraud - Possibly A Hua Hin Atm?

roly

Hi,

just a quick note to mention to be careful when using ATM machines around town, especially ones that are not inside banks.

I recently had an issue regarding my credit card and PIN being skimmed and used in an ATM in Argentina (!) - and the only way I can see this happening is by some dodgy ATM around Hua Hin or possibly Cha-am, as I never this particular card on the Internet.

In future I will only use cash machines inside of the main bank branches, and keep all the receipts!

The happy ending is that the fraudulent transactions were cancelled by my bank, thankfully...

Just be careful and remember that there are many such cases like this happening every day in Thailand.

Cheers

Most (if not all) Thailand banks modified their ATMs about three years ago to supposedly protect against skimmers being added. Before this I saw photos of skimmers posted somewhere. They are add-ons to the card slot and a fake keyboard directly added on top of the real one. The card slot add-on skims the magnetic strip as it passes through into the real ATM slot while the fake keyboard collects the pin while it also pushes the buttons directly below on the real keyboard. Once you've seen the picture it is obvious what to look for and avoid, but as I said, supposedly banks have done something to the ATMs to stop this from happening.

Did you use the card anywhere else like a shop, hotel, or restaurant? If so it is more likely that the person handling your card skimmed it at one of those and sold the information. That is very common here. Also, are you sure it was used in a ATM in Argentina (where a pin would be needed), or could it have been used at an exchange booth where a human handles the transaction?

My savings account card was cloned in London a couple of years ago, I didn't use the card for a few weeks and they emptied the account, when I found out I contacted the bank and had to fill out several statements, another statement at the local police station and then had to wait 6 wks for my money to be refunded, it must be fun if it happens here.

Had a weird problem at a Hua Hin ATM many years ago, upon withdrawl the balance on the receipt said 400,000 baht.

But it was really only 40,000 baht. I swiftly went to see if the balance was really 400,000 baht.

But after doing a balance inquiry it said 40,000 baht. Dreams of a new motorcycle went as fast as they came.

Just had my Amex card cloned after using it at a bank ATM in a non-bank building. Fortunately Amex declined the subsequent attempts to charge it. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for a replacement..