90 Day Reporting For Dependent On Retirement Extension Permit Holders

I will be in Thailand as a dependent. My husband will be the holder of an extension permit based on retirement. He will travel in and out of Thailand frequently and as I understand it, his 90 reporting date requirement will reset itself every time he enters Thailand again.

However, I will not be travelling out of Thailand that often. So I assume I will have my own 90 day reporting requirements to adhere to or will my dates be the same as his?

Sorry if I haven't phrased it correctly or if it sounds like a stupid question. It's a bit confusing...

Thanks!

First time you must make your own calculation. Than you get a receipt back, telling you when your next reporting date is. That is the date you keep to, unless you leave the country. Than it is 90 days after returning to Thailand.

The first time should be 90 days from when you make application for matching extension of stay. They may advise you but often then don't. You use a TM.47 and will get some type of receipt each time that normally will have your next reporting date indicated on it so unless you travel that will be when you report next. Fifteen days early to seven days late seems to be the current accepted window for those doing in person. For mail it needs to be received prior to due date.

I don't understand what visa the OP is on if someone can explain? If her husband is on a retirement visa how does this give her a 1 years visa where reporting every 90 days is needed? Or is she also on her own retirement visa? I am just not getting this post sorry and would like to know as I also have a retirement visa but if I have a dependent (wife) how can she stay under my visa?

The OP has her own visa and now extenson of stay, based on her husband meeting the qualifications for an extension of stay for retirement. She herself does not have to meet those requirements, but is considered to be a dependent of her husband. But her permission to stay in Thailand is linked to that of her husband. If her husband losses his permission to stay, so does she.

You can do the same, when you have an extension of stay from immirgation. Only you have to meet the age and income/money requirement and your wife can be a dependent of you, without the need of showing money/income herself (or being 50 or older).

I don't understand what visa the OP is on if someone can explain? If her husband is on a retirement visa how does this give her a 1 years visa where reporting every 90 days is needed? Or is she also on her own retirement visa? I am just not getting this post sorry and would like to know as I also have a retirement visa but if I have a dependent (wife) how can she stay under my visa?

If the OP's husband is actually on a retirement visa, i.e., a non O-A visa, issued outside of Thailand, she is theoretically eligible for a one-year non-o as his dependent. This is made clear on every Embassy/Consulate website I have seen. Note that Immigration does not publish those websites; they are part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

However, after getting the first one from Immigration at Chaeng Wattana, upon trying to renew it, we were informed that the original one was issued in error, and that my wife could not obtain the renewal, unless I applied for an extension based on retirement. After a lot of consultation it became apparent that Immigration is in some kind of pissing contest with MoFA, and will not honor the provision for a spouse to obtain a non-o when the other spouse is in Thailand on a non O-A visa. We were told that MoFA is responsible for those websites and that Embassies routinely are in error. They were quite dismissive, although we spoke to the officer who issued it last time, who was apologetic. Her immediate superior was adamant, however, and of course didn't give a toss about the predicament this put us in. They made it very difficult to take it any higher, and wouldn't give us the paperwork for an appeal, or put anything in writing.

While it would be possible to get an extension for retirement, the timing doesn't work out: we would need money in the bank in Thailand for two months prior to the application. Based on the previous year, and the MoFA representation, we are put in a bad situation by finding out about this three weeks before her visa expires. I'm not asking for advice here, just reporting what is a possible trap for those on 'retirement visas', who are married. We have other options, and they all lead to eventually leaving Thailand.

If the spouse is on a retirement extension, then the other spouse can get the non-o without any problem.

There is no such thing as a one year non immigrant O. There is a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year of 90 day visits. There is a single entry non immigrant O for one visit that can then be extended to match a spouse on a one year extension of stay (which is what is issued to the spouse of a long stay O-A visa holder). The Embassy issues the visa - she must then extend at immigration inside Thailand.

If I am reading your post right your wife did get the visa and then did extend? Now your wife wants to extend again but you do not? As she is using dependent status you must first extend so she can get matching. If she is age 50 or more she can get a retirement extension on her own but must meet the normal financials.

If I have misunderstood please advise as am trying to see why you believe the system has changed when it appears you have used the original O-A period and your wife would not be eligible for a longer extension until you do so.

There is no such thing as a one year non immigrant O. There is a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year of 90 day visits. There is a single entry non immigrant O for one visit that can then be extended to match a spouse on a one year extension of stay (which is what is issued to the spouse of a long stay O-A visa holder). The Embassy issues the visa - she must then extend at immigration inside Thailand.

If I am reading your post right your wife did get the visa and then did extend? Now your wife wants to extend again but you do not? As she is using dependent status you must first extend so she can get matching. If she is age 50 or more she can get a retirement extension on her own but must meet the normal financials.

If I have misunderstood please advise as am trying to see why you believe the system has changed when it appears you have used the original O-A period and your wife would not be eligible for a longer extension until you do so.

During the initial O-A visa validity, my wife arrived in Thailand about four months after I did, and, after going to Laos for a non-o, was given permission at Chaeng Wattana to stay for one year. My first entry expired before her permission to stay expired (we were NOT in sync), and I re-entered and got another full year. Her permit expired while mine was still valid, and we went to Immigration to extend to this July, when my entry will expire. At that time, I would have applied for a retirement extension.

We were told that she never should have received the first permission to stay, because my O-A visa did not provide her eligibility for permission to stay, and that the original one had been issued in error. When I told them that it was clear on the Embassy/Consular websites that my O-A did entitle her to stay, based on marriage, they told us that those websites were maintained by the MoFA, and Immigration considered them to be incorrect. Even the officer who issued us the first permit to stay admitted that she had done so by mistake, while I maintain that it was proper. Their position was that she would not be eligible until I applied for permission to stay (retirement or whatever) there, at Immigration. Since I don't keep enough money in Thailand, it would be impossible to meet the 60-day seasoning to apply right there. I had originally planned to use Social Security and import a smaller amount to apply in August.

It appears that Immigration feels that MoFA has usurped their authority, and they intend to assert their position to enforce what they claim is the law. I asked them to show me the applicable law, but they just brushed me off.

Sorry if this is not clear - it is admittedly convoluted. I do appreciate your interest.

Edited by Sateev

It appears you obtained the extra year stay with a new permitted to say stamp which is not being considered an extension of stay so your wife's extension of stay technically ended when your visa expiration date occurred (one year from date of issue)? This is not a normal situation as most people will be on immigration extensions of stay so permitted to stay date will be the end of the extension of stay.

If you have SS payments you can use that with letter from Embassy toward the 800k total requirement (12 x monthly SS plus bank account to meet 800k in one year) and no seasoning would be required.

It appears you obtained the extra year stay with a new permitted to say stamp which is not being considered an extension of stay so your wife's extension of stay technically ended when your visa expiration date occurred (one year from date of issue)? This is not a normal situation as most people will be on immigration extensions of stay so permitted to stay date will be the end of the extension of stay.

If you have SS payments you can use that with letter from Embassy toward the 800k total requirement (12 x monthly SS plus bank account to meet 800k in one year) and no seasoning would be required.

Would be nice, but I'm not eligible for SS until August. I think our only option is to do visa runs until then (for my wife), and then apply for permit to stay then.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently corresponding with a fellow from India who is over 50 and wants to retire in Thailand with his wife (under 50) and school aged son.

I'm confused: If he enters on a Non-Immigrant O-A visa, can his wife and son enter on Non-Immigrant O visas and get dependent extensions in Thailand? Or, are the dependent extensions only issued once he is here on a retirement extension?

He better gets a non-O himself and extend that, so his wife and child can get an extension based on his.

If he does want the O-A, there might be another option: If his child goes to school in Thailand, he can get an ED-visa and his mother can be a dependent (caretaker) of the son, but must be able to show 500,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand for an extension.

I believe once he is stamped into Thailand on the O-A visa he is considered here on an extension of stay and dependents can then apply for matching one year extensions of stay just the same as extending at an immigration office.

Uh, oh. Now this is awkward. I don't know what to advise him. unsure.png

Non-Immigrant O with a retirement extension definitely will give him the dependent extensions.

A Non-Immigrant O-A which can be extended to almost two years with his money in India, might not give him the dependent extensions?