Riot Victims To Receive 3 Million Baht Each In Compensation

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's inexcusable.

Yes, but it's hard to tell from the video what actually happened. Aren't people just assuming he was shot by a red shirt? Maybe the gun went off by accident, after all, they're taking him to the ambulance afterwards, which presumably they wouldn't have done if they intended to kill him?

The plan from the beginning was to mix the criminals, murderers, and terrorists in with the unknowing pawns intended to become martyrs for Thaksin. Not all of the people there wanted to kill, and some would have tried to help. Their part in the grand plan was to die once the terrorist elements engaged in enough violence to force the army to act.

Hi why don't u blame actually the people who are responsible for all that,the people who kicked a free elected government out of office,those people are royalists,army and bkk elite,i don't know what country u come from,i come from Germany,we have elections every 4 years,and we don't have any royalists who intervene in politics because afraid of losing their power,no military who intervenes in politics,maybe some corruption of german elite,but that's it,anyway those 3 started the shit,everything what came after is a re action of what happened before,I'm not red or yellow,I even don't like Mr.Thaksin,but again he was free elected by majority of thais,yeah maybe Mr.Thaksin paid for the votes,so what?U think others do different?Here is takatukaland,everybody tries to get as much as possible from the cake,and Mr.Thaksin did it very smart,smarter than others before him,ohh and just by the way Mr.Thaksin got a jail sentence by a handpicked judge,handpicked by the people who kicked him illegal out of office,how legal can that be?You know I think i would get mad too if my neighbor is pro army and pro royalists and he get free for whatever he does[destroying,stealing,hijacking airports]and i get a sentence for the smallest shit i do,how would u feel about it?Or how about if they tell u,u r to stupid to vote because u come from esaan,so next election it's not 1man 1vote but 2 men1 vote,anyway again here is takatukaland,u can't compare it with standards from western world,we as foreigner should shut up and let them do,its their country,they don't want us to comment,they want us to come here for 2weeks vacation spend a lot of money and leave,every foreigner who lives here or spend holidays here is dangerous for the establishment,because foreigner teaching what is right or wrong,and if people get to smart they will start to ask questions,and they will notice how bad they get cheated,sorry for long reply,just thought it should be said

Hi why don't u blame actually the people who are responsible for all that,the people who kicked a free elected government out of office,those people are royalists,army and bkk elite,i don't know what country u come from,i come from Germany,we have elections every 4 years,and we don't have any royalists who intervene in politics because afraid of losing their power,no military who intervenes in politics,maybe some corruption of german elite,but that's it,anyway those 3 started the shit,everything what came after is a re action of what happened before,I'm not red or yellow,I even don't like Mr.Thaksin,but again he was free elected by majority of thais,yeah maybe Mr.Thaksin paid for the votes,so what?U think others do different?Here is takatukaland,everybody tries to get as much as possible from the cake,and Mr.Thaksin did it very smart,smarter than others before him,ohh and just by the way Mr.Thaksin got a jail sentence by a handpicked judge,handpicked by the people who kicked him illegal out of office,how legal can that be?You know I think i would get mad too if my neighbor is pro army and pro royalists and he get free for whatever he does[destroying,stealing,hijacking airports]and i get a sentence for the smallest shit i do,how would u feel about it?Or how about if they tell u,u r to stupid to vote because u come from esaan,so next election it's not 1man 1vote but 2 men1 vote,anyway again here is takatukaland,u can't compare it with standards from western world,we as foreigner should shut up and let them do,its their country,they don't want us to comment,they want us to come here for 2weeks vacation spend a lot of money and leave,every foreigner who lives here or spend holidays here is dangerous for the establishment,because foreigner teaching what is right or wrong,and if people get to smart they will start to ask questions,and they will notice how bad they get cheated,sorry for long reply,just thought it should be said

An elected government wasn't kicked out of office. Thaksin was freely elected twice. The third time didn't work out so well, not that it wouldn't have if he'd paid a few more people to run against him. When the coup occurred, Thaksin wasn't even legally a care-taker PM.

The judge wasn't hand picked. There were 7 or 9 judges judging his case that weren't hand picked.

that's inexcusable.

Yes, but it's hard to tell from the video what actually happened. Aren't people just assuming he was shot by a red shirt? Maybe the gun went off by accident, after all, they're taking him to the ambulance afterwards, which presumably they wouldn't have done if they intended to kill him?

The plan from the beginning was to mix the criminals, murderers, and terrorists in with the unknowing pawns intended to become martyrs for Thaksin. Not all of the people there wanted to kill, and some would have tried to help. Their part in the grand plan was to die once the terrorist elements engaged in enough violence to force the army to act.

What happens in Germany when coalition government parties split, and one decides to form a government with the opposition? Do the brown-shirts come from Bavaria to Berlin and intimidate the populace (again)?

Try to remember your own country's early years of democracy - and the result of similar actions. There were 34 political parties in the 30s causing political mayhem until they solved the problem by handing power to a "strong man" with a string of populist policies. Life was great (for a while) unless you were the wrong race, a political opponent or a disabled child.

What happens in Germany when coalition government parties split, and one decides to form a government with the opposition? Do the brown-shirts come from Bavaria to Berlin and intimidate the populace (again)?

Try to remember your own country's early years of democracy - and the result of similar actions. There were 34 political parties in the 30s causing political mayhem until they solved the problem by handing power to a "strong man" with a string of populist policies. Life was great (for a while) unless you were the wrong race, a political opponent or a disabled child.

he might be east german, that would explain a lot

An elected government wasn't kicked out of office. Thaksin was freely elected twice. The third time didn't work out so well, not that it wouldn't have if he'd paid a few more people to run against him. When the coup occurred, Thaksin wasn't even legally a care-taker PM.

The judge wasn't hand picked. There were 7 or 9 judges judging his case that weren't hand picked.

The Judiciary of Thailand is composed of three distinct systems: the Court of Justice system, the Administrative Court system and the Constitutional Court of Thailand. There are no stenographic records kept by the trial court and the record is composed of what the judges decide.

Research judges assist the sitting judges. Judges must take an examination and two different examinations are given: one exam is for judges trained in Thailand and a different examination is given for judges who graduate from foreign law schools. All Judges are formally appointed by the King.

from wikipedia,hmm new government[military junta]new judges

it's 2012 now,anyway i suggest you have a look into thai history specialy military coups and royalist,a good book to read is"a coup for the rich' not sure its blacklisted in Thailand

it's 2012 now,anyway i suggest you have a look into thai history specialy military coups and royalist,a good book to read is"a coup for the rich' not sure its blacklisted in Thailand

Somehow it has escaped you how rich the leaders of PTP are? How rich the rural rice barons are? so far, they have managed to reduce the corporate tax rate and the free electricity threshold - the poor are ecstatic about both.

It is 2012 now not 1933,i assume things will not happen again,don't think its smart to come up with past i guess a lot of countries have some black past,anyway that"s not the subject I'm talking about,It's 2012 and i talk about Thailand,if u have nothing smarter to come up with than nazi stuff,I suggest you don't comment at all,What I was writing are facts,even u might have no knowledge about Thailand and the system here,google or wikipedia can help,most is accurate wrtten,by the way there is no east or west Germany anymore,reunited since 1990,like i said before google can help

I suspect the government won't be able to afford this and they will need to back track on it.

Government and society needs to be transparent. That is there needs to clear rules on the terms for compensation. Victims in my opinion are the people who had their lives and businesses disrupted in downtown Bangkok. Not the hired thugs and unemployed brought in from the North. If they are not going to be transparent about it, then they are using government money to finance the previous red shirt campaign and it just shows more corruption within government.

The situation got out of control not because of government policing, but because the demonstrators could not make their point without violence or breaking the law.

Somehow it has escaped you how rich the leaders of PTP are? How rich the rural rice barons are? so far, they have managed to reduce the corporate tax rate and the free electricity threshold - the poor are ecstatic about both.

No it did not escaped me,maybe a bit of missunderstanding,i'm not pro thaksin or pro whoever,I stay a while in Thailand,and i saw things before thaksin,while thaksin,after thaksin and now with Yingluck,and in my opinion the whole shit started after they kicked out thaksin.The last government had a lot of time to do a good job,but they did nothing,to busy with them self.When Mr.Abisit came to office I was kind of optimistc for Thailand and myself,but the Abisit government really did not do a good job.

from 2005 - as opposed to ...... let's say for example October 25th 2004.

It will be interesting to see if the is accepted by the families or not. And just as interesting to see if it's accepted by the Red Shirt leaders who must themselves share a proportion of the guilt for the way they sought confrontation and glamourised the armed, violent campaign.

I doubt if many of the families are in a position to refuse such an attractive offer.

US 100,000 is attractive?

Life must be cheap in Thailand.

-Sparebox2-

You must see that in comparison to the Income in Isaan, where most of the victims will have come from, at 6.000 Baht a month there, it makes it a 40 year low income wage the 3.000.000 Baht, Not so small.jap.gif

How do perpetrators become victims?

It is like war crimes...the wining party writes the book of history.

Now we have a bloodshed on peacefull demonstrators.

when this scam government goes away it will be again terrorists who want to burn down Bangkok.

No it did not escaped me,maybe a bit of missunderstanding,i'm not pro thaksin or pro whoever,I stay a while in Thailand,and i saw things before thaksin,while thaksin,after thaksin and now with Yingluck,and in my opinion the whole shit started after they kicked out thaksin.The last government had a lot of time to do a good job,but they did nothing,to busy with them self.When Mr.Abisit came to office I was kind of optimistc for Thailand and myself,but the Abisit government really did not do a good job.

The whole shit started in 2001 when Thaksin made that "honest mistake". It got worse in 2005 when Thaksin changed the laws to sell his company to Temasek, and then when he called an election less than 12 months after winning a landslide.

Since then, the coup (2006), the airport (2008), the ASEAN summit (2009) and the Bangkok sit in (2010) have kept setting things back.

With the PTP in government, things could have stabilised, but with them just trying to whitewash Thaksin's numerous crimes, it's probably just going to go back to it's yearly cycle of "events".

It is 2012 now not 1933,i assume things will not happen again,

So you would support electing a political 'strong man', whose fans have a history of taking to the streets wearing single-color shirts while shouting hatred of other groups of citizens, and as he have a background of using extrajudicial force to get his big government authoritarian policies through he sprinkle populist policies over the other part of the population to keep them from asking too many question and blinded to his ultimate end goal?

Some learn from history...

-h90-

That "scam Goverment" with its BIG MR.T. in the back, will, on a legal basis not go away for a while, at least not for one or two more legislature periods.

Will be prolonged for long. So, I think.jap.gif

-TAWP-

Well written, -and who tried to quiet his critics and outspoken opponents with hilarious legal cases with even Hundreds of Million Baht in compensations in question!

Edited by ALFREDO

i very much doubt that's what happened.

you can see guys jumping off the truck and running away when it happens, yes people would run when hearing a gunshot but my guess is that the shooter was amongst those fleeing the scene.

just because other red shirts helped doesn't mean that it wasn't one that shot him.. after all, they're not all one in the same.

obviously it can't be proven from that clip alone but to me it seems that way.

Upon reflection that does seem the most likely scenario. I know they're not all one in the same, that's why I've been contesting this board's general characterization of them as a vicious bunch of deadbeats, dancing to the tune of the 'puppet master' Thaksin for 500 baht a pop. Obviously in any 'mob', there are mixed motivations, and all protest groups in Thailand seem to attract some criminal, mercenary types*. But I think the law and individual morality itself becomes irrelevant once groupthink has set in and it becomes an 'us vs them' thing. 'Them' being the soldiers that had been shooting at the red shirts previously, of course (I think the video is from about the 15/16th of May, when the so-called 'Battle for Rajaprasong' was in full swing). The red shirts at this point had come to see the army as an enemy to be overcome at all costs, and the soldiers, in return, of course, were not only responding to being the object of red shirts animus but were also told that the red shirts were 'disloyal' and therefore not 'real Thais', which in consequence dehumanised them in the eyes of both the soldiers and the public at large. A perfectly nice, ordinary human being can be capable of acts of the most egregious violence in the right (or rather, wrong) circumstances.

So it would hardly be surprising in this environment if an unarmed soldier was shot in cold blood at point blank range, neither would it be surprising if, in the heat of the moment, soldiers shot up a temple, killing several (probably) unarmed people. There's a lot less space for individual agency and moral deliberation at times like this. Propaganda is a dangerous thing...

That said, I don't want to claim those on either side of the conflict were fully deprived of individual agency, as I've said, I'm not sure this conflict can simply be reduced to elites on both sides simply pulling people's strings and manipulating them, though that is part of it. And I'm not saying no one should be punished either, clearly the person responsible for shooting the soldier should be prosecuted, as should those soldiers responsible for the shooting at the temple. But at the same time I think all of this could've been avoided, either by Abhisit simply calling an election, or by the red shirt leaders (and Thaksin) being willing to be more patient and bide their time... after all, there was going to be an election anyway, what difference would it have really made in the end to Thai democracy, if there'd been an election a year earlier than the one eventually held last year?

*Not that you have to be a criminal or mercenary to become violent during protests. I honestly don't think the issue most people have with the red shirts is the violence directed by ordinary members towards soldiers (excluding the heavily armed men in black) - after all if they had an issue with molotovs, rocks and such, surely if this was the only criteria for decided whether a protest is legitimate or not - they'd have had to side with the police and Mubarak against the Eygptian protesters and so on and so fourth. Most people who dislike the red shirts do so not because of any violence, but because they don't believe they have a worthy cause. In fact, as I've said, they tend to see the people as just 'puppets' in an elite conflict. They believe that though the military and traditional elites are not perfect, they're certainly a lesser evil than Thaksin (a view that is often restated on this board).

"I know they're not all one in the same, that's why I've been contesting this board's general characterization of them as a vicious bunch of deadbeats, dancing to the tune of the 'puppet master' Thaksin for 500 baht a pop."

that's a point i've argued here many a time myself

and as for the rest of the post, i generally agree with the points you've made

Well said, and I also find the 'general characterization of them as a vicious bunch of deadbeats, dancing to the tune of the 'puppet master' Thaksin for 500 baht a pop' as the main thing I argue here too.

Luckily, the more intelligent anti-Thaksin/PTP/Red shirt proponents don't come out with such facile pronouncements, so there is some scope for balanced and level headed debate. But not much.

Well said, and I also find the 'general characterization of them as a vicious bunch of deadbeats, dancing to the tune of the 'puppet master' Thaksin for 500 baht a pop' as the main thing I argue here too.

Luckily, the more intelligent anti-Thaksin/PTP/Red shirt proponents don't come out with such facile pronouncements, so there is some scope for balanced and level headed debate. But not much.

Or the inane argument that this is a poor-vs-amart struggle, instead of recognizing that this is two groups from the same neighborhood fighting over control over their sandbox.

The whole shit started in 2001 when Thaksin made that "honest mistake". It got worse in 2005 when Thaksin changed the laws to sell his company to Temasek, and then when he called an election less than 12 months after winning a landslide.

Since then, the coup (2006), the airport (2008), the ASEAN summit (2009) and the Bangkok sit in (2010) have kept setting things back.

With the PTP in government, things could have stabilised, but with them just trying to whitewash Thaksin's numerous crimes, it's probably just going to go back to it's yearly cycle of "events".

Maybe you are right,maybe different view of things,most Thai bkk friends say the same,most non bkk Thai friends think like me.anyway i remember the military changed the constitution so everybody who was involved in the coup gets free,so much about whitewash,In my opinion Mr.Thaksin had to go because he got to much power,and he was clear against royalist,military and bkk elite,not because any other reason,After Mr.Thaksin came to office Thailand was rising.they passed Vietnam,economy was good.After the coup............................

Maybe you are right,maybe different view of things,most Thai bkk friends say the same,most non bkk Thai friends think like me.anyway i remember the military changed the constitution so everybody who was involved in the coup gets free,so much about whitewash,In my opinion Mr.Thaksin had to go because he got to much power,and he was clear against royalist,military and bkk elite,not because any other reason,After Mr.Thaksin came to office Thailand was rising.they passed Vietnam,economy was good.After the coup............................

Yes, the coup was illegal and of course they gave themselves amnesty. Who wouldn't? And they rewrote the constitution. It needed it, and it still needs some fixing.

But anyone that thinks that the issues started with the coup don't want to know.

After Mr.Thaksin came to office Thailand was rising.they passed Vietnam,economy was good.After the coup............................

If we are attributing Thailand's successful economy during Thaksin's time in power to the man himself, and not to the world economy, i assume then, we can sit back and prepare ourselves to enjoy the next 3 and a half odd years of economic boom. Great news. When does it begin?

So you would support electing a political 'strong man', whose fans have a history of taking to the streets wearing single-color shirts while shouting hatred of other groups of citizens, and as he have a background of using extrajudicial force to get his big government authoritarian policies through he sprinkle populist policies over the other part of the population to keep them from asking too many question and blinded to his ultimate end goal?

exactly, you have won me over

totalitarianism is a human rights abuse, no matter what flavor or color

I did not say I want to elect Mr.T or want him back,what I said was after Mr.T got sacked things got worse,i don't need he come back,on the other hand i also no need a royalist or military government who worry permanent to lose power,and coming with laws to protect themself from every harm.I think both are bad,with Yingluck a chance came up for new start,but wasted thanks to her brother.I assume the shit what we see now will go on for ages.

Some groups here in Thailand don't want any change in Thai society,did u ever hear of "Sakdina system"?That's a system about different members of society have different social ranks :google it it's interesting to read and it makes you understand about Thailand

I did not say I want to elect Mr.T or want him back,what I said was after Mr.T got sacked things got worse,i don't need he come back,on the other hand i also no need a royalist or military government who worry permanent to lose power,and coming with laws to protect themself from every harm.I think both are bad,with Yingluck a chance came up for new start,but wasted thanks to her brother.I assume the shit what we see now will go on for ages.

Some groups here in Thailand don't want any change in Thai society,did u ever hear of "Sakdina system"?That's a system about different members of society have different social ranks :google it it's interesting to read and it makes you understand about Thailand

I agree with Punisher. He's on my bandwagon - They're all thugs, they're all mafia, they're all asshats. The End.

Yes, the coup was illegal and of course they gave themselves amnesty. Who wouldn't? And they rewrote the constitution. It needed it, and it still needs some fixing.

But anyone that thinks that the issues started with the coup don't want to know.

Well then please tell me what Mr.T did so bad that he had to go,and tell me also what made the former[Abisit] government so great so they should stay in office,but tell me from Thai view not Foreigner view

Well then please tell me what Mr.T did so bad that he had to go,and tell me also what made the former[Abisit] government so great so they should stay in office,but tell me from Thai view not Foreigner view

Why Thaksin had to go - he stole billions

Why Abhisit had to stay - they didn't, lost the election. Who said they had to stay?

I want Chuwit to be PM - at least he's honest that he's a scumbag.

what we can agree on is good German bier and against political totalitarian corruption no matter who is doing it.

cuz they will outlaw gooe=d German bier, right?

best thing thais could do,

not be so emotional

there is no future in it

from the movie "My Name is Nobody" (1973)

Nobody: "The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it."

Edited by wxyz

what we can agree on is good German bier and against political totalitarian corruption no matter who is doing it.

cuz they will outlaw gooe=d German bier, right?

That would be nice,but i stay upcountry at the moment,have to deal with LEO,cheers