Truemove H 3G , Cat, AIS, TOT all computer related for Samui.

Thanks for these information, I will deal with it. Fortunately I am not that hurry...

When you say Time Machine, you mean Time Capsule?

post-116777-0-44798200-1327286508_thumb.

I'd prefer reference of the Dlink, but I think with a good Google search I'll find, and let forum know. After I'll ask here where I can order :D

Thanks for these information, I will deal with it. Fortunately I am not that hurry...

I'd prefer reference of the Dlink, but I think with a good Google search I'll find, and let forum know. After I'll ask here where I can order biggrin.png

Yes, I'm pretty sure he does. Time Machine is the software, Time Capsule is the hardware.

samuijimmi, methinks perhaps your neighbour has that D-Link thingy plugged in somewhere, because the USB port on the Time Capsule only works with printers and external hard drives.

D-Link aren't the only manufacturers that produce 3G Wi-Fi routers, but they produce a few models. The DIR-412 is a 'N' router (meaning the Wi-Fi signal is faster and stronger than a 'G' router) and is compatible with EV-DO/CDMA/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS networks.

Edited by jamesbrock

samuijimmy, thanks for your feedback...

Do you know if they have MiFi equipements?

In your case, you say you have an usb dongle. So you have internet on only ONE computer, not on another, not on your smartphone?

That's why I'd prefer a MiFi solution, to broadcast signal through wifi to all my equipements.

Thanks smile.png

You can connect all devices even without a router. Just set up a wireless ad-hoc network on the computer that has the dongle in, and share that internet connection. Then the other devices can connect via wifi to that computer and use its internet. A router just acts like a switch, so that the bandwith is better used, but it is not necessary to have one. But you do need to have your internet (dongle) computer on all the time...

Ok, thanks, nice to know that. I knew I could share through a computer, but I'd prefer with a router. I think it is more "clean".

So, if I success to buy that router, or another, do I just have to go to CAT for a simcard?

Thanks

Hi,

I found DIR-412 for very cheap, approx 1300THB...

I could buy it but I called CAT Nathon, "no have" anything : USB dongle, MiFi, and even simcards...

So, I dont need to buy know, I have to wait, I will call them back...

Thanks all..

That's a good price! Why not give TrueMove a try while you wait? Their 'H' iSim is only 139 baht, and comes with enough data to see whether it's a viable alternative.

Edit: You will have to get a USB dongle though, but be sure to check its compatibility with the DIR-412 (there's a list on the link I gave earlier).

Edited by jamesbrock

samuijimmy, thanks for your feedback...

Do you know if they have MiFi equipements?

In your case, you say you have an usb dongle. So you have internet on only ONE computer, not on another, not on your smartphone?

That's why I'd prefer a MiFi solution, to broadcast signal through wifi to all my equipements.

Thanks smile.png

can also use a (cheap) android phone, easy to set up a wifi network and connect laptop(s) to that........

vlietje, yes, that would be an interesting test. I have iPhone with Mywi that allow to broadcast 3G signal to wifi (I'll buy MiFi router later if everything ok). But the main problem is True 3G has a 3 or 5Go quota. It is enough for regular surf, but sometime I download or get streaming...

And for prepaid formula, to test, according to http://www.truemove-h.com/en//isim-topping-package.aspx , it is quite expensive.

Anyway, I think i'll go today to true shop, buy that sim to test...

I'd prefer reference of the Dlink, but I think with a good Google search I'll find, and let forum know. After I'll ask here where I can order biggrin.png

Yes, I'm pretty sure he does. Time Machine is the software, Time Capsule is the hardware.

samuijimmi, methinks perhaps your neighbour has that D-Link thingy plugged in somewhere, because the USB port on the Time Capsule only works with printers and external hard drives.

D-Link aren't the only manufacturers that produce 3G Wi-Fi routers, but they produce a few models. The DIR-412 is a 'N' router (meaning the Wi-Fi signal is faster and stronger than a 'G' router) and is compatible with EV-DO/CDMA/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS networks.

No Dlink, connected, it's collecting dust on the self! .... Along with other bits and bobs! Should have a "Garage Sale" sometime.... smile.png

yes I meant Time Capsule.... another senior moment...!!! unsure.pngoh dear! I need a holiday.... wink.png.... good thing I am leaving for three weeks on Wednesday! biggrin.png

vlietje, yes, that would be an interesting test. I have iPhone with Mywi that allow to broadcast 3G signal to wifi (I'll buy MiFi router later if everything ok). But the main problem is True 3G has a 3 or 5Go quota. It is enough for regular surf, but sometime I download or get streaming...

And for prepaid formula, to test, according to http://www.truemove-...ng-package.aspx , it is quite expensive.

Anyway, I think i'll go today to true shop, buy that sim to test...

I used the 99 baht Smartphone SIM, comes with a 70 MB data allowance. I think the iSIM comes with 150MB.

The iSIM topup packages don't look much good.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I seen in Tesco the TrueMove desk (behind the checkouts) is offering 10mbit wired internet via a cable modem? Has anyone tried this? A decent competitor to 3bb and tot?

I have not tried Truemove over a fixed line, but historically Truemove does not have a good reputation regarding support.

I currently have both TOT (6 mbps) and 3BB (9mbps). Problem with TOT - 5 days to fix. Problem with 3BB 14 hours.

Fastest is not always best. Up time is almost as important

I seen in Tesco the TrueMove desk (behind the checkouts) is offering 10mbit wired internet via a cable modem? Has anyone tried this? A decent competitor to 3bb and tot?

the problem is you are sharing it with 50 other users, marketing jargon, product fail.

I have CAT fixed line, never fails, never drops out, I stream live television to my tv, via laptop, no lagging almost HD quality. 2MB download. 1800 Baht a month. Expensive, but worth it if you need quality, speed and reliability. using 2 laptops and 2 smartphones on it.

Hi,

I'm in a kind of residence/hotel where Internet sucks... Do you think I can register for a fixed line in my room? I am here long term. Does this installation make holes, wires, ..?

Hi,

I'm in a kind of residence/hotel where Internet sucks... Do you think I can register for a fixed line in my room? I am here long term. Does this installation make holes, wires, ..?

they could run a line from the main street if the hotel was ok with that. It is one wire and one small hole through the wall, only takes 5 minutes to install.

Picked up a couple of Prepaid H Smartphone SIMs from BIG C, after the idiot girl at the TRUE booth near the front entrance at TESCO LOTUS told me that there were no H Prepaid cards on the island.

She got positively angry with me when I asked her if she was sure.

Walked down further towards FUJI and there they were at the other TRUE outlet for 199 baht. The 'operative' there tried to tell me that 99 baht was a 'promotional' price and that 199 baht was the ongoing price. So I popped over to big C to pick up a couple at the 'promotional' 99 baht.

Nothing more need be said regarding that matter.

Thanks if I take ADSL, what's my choice? TOT, 3BB, and True ?

True seems to sucks

3BB, it's what we have in the hotel, sucks a lot. I dont know if it is due to the hotel, of it is 3BB that sucks...

TOT?

Any more choice?

Thanks

Thanks if I take ADSL, what's my choice? TOT, 3BB, and True ?

True seems to sucks

3BB, it's what we have in the hotel, sucks a lot. I dont know if it is due to the hotel, of it is 3BB that sucks...

TOT?

Any more choice?

Thanks

You are aware that these contracts with ISPs usually have a 1 year minimum duration, unless that changed recently.

hi,i am just back from maenam beach(chinese temple), and i was quite surprised when i saw the 3G logo on my phone (DTAC), unfortunately back in bangrak but no 3G coverage in here.

post-55039-0-96845000-1328270847_thumb.p

Edited by NHJ

• 1 month later...

jamesbrock

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 193 posts

625]

Posted 10 minutes ago

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else, but I got back to Samui last night after a few weeks away, and today I've started to be redirected to the TrueMove Wi-Fi login screen when accessing the Internet on my phone.

Pings of 79ms, and download speeds up to 3.39Mbps - so the speeds are pretty good, considering I get 10 hours free with my prepay top up option (that, until now, I had only been able to use in Bangkok and Chiang Mai).