Good Luck Party For New House

thehelmsman

I read a comment concerning the amount of money the dude had spent on his good luck party for the new house before he and his G/F officially moved in. He had spent excessively was the general consensus from some experienced members. Some stated they had spent as little as 10K baht.

I'm pretty sure this is a Thai tradition as I've seen it before. For the members who have built a house -

How much did you spend and how was it ?????

We just had Party #2 last week, you will need 3, although it was beginning of year 6 we live here, had party #1 5 years after we moved in.

5 monks blessed the house and we had the village seniors help them out.

Cost was 20k, monks, food, booze. We paid people to prepare the food and went to shops/market to buy all the ingredients (meat, fish, vegs, fish sauce and booze)

I am pretty sure this is not a Thai tradition, although it appears to be popular with those from a certain geographical area whose first language probably isnt Thai.

I look around me at the locals who move into houses and they sure as hell aint splashing out on lavish face gaining excercises in self indulgence.

The few who have these sort of blessings spend about 5 or 6000 baht, and as noted by a previous poster it is limited to family and a few neighbours. The natives certainly aint coming from far and wide for a 3 day piss up at your expense.

As noted by poster above, it costs what your wife wants to spend, its amazing just how low they can go cost wise when you aint paying for it.

I live in a new Moo Baan in middle class Thai suburbia. We were in here before many so I've seen most of them moving in to their brand new houses......only ever seen a monk in here once and that was for a NY party. NO good luck parties.......

So my answer would be nothing. Tell the relatives to stay away.

Every couple of months the wife gets invited to these parties. All Thai involved. The home owners invite close friends and work collegues. There's nothing flash about the parties. There's a few monks involved for the religious part with the guests looking over the house and sharing a meal afterwards.

Not really related to the cost; but i really hate those tacky finger paintings the monks draw on the walls, over doors, on elavators etc...

So when we had a monk party at our shop, instead i had to monk do his finger painting on a black paper sheet (which he was quite happy to do); had it framed and looks a quite good.

One needs to have the traditional blessing and drunken gathering regarding the huge new spirit house on the property, in which the new house sits, before we can even discuss any such house tamboon....rolleyes.gif

keep your money to yourself. when we built our house and the people in the village kept asking whens the party, the wife told them to sod off. when i asked here why she responded like this, she said, 'why would i want to buy them food and drink. if we were broke tomorrow, not one of them would come to our door to help us out."

now having lived here in the village for 8 years, I understand what she meant. wai.gif

I believe I'm the one the OP was referring to. The Good Luck party we had prior to officially moving into house was pretty big. The party slowly got bigger as we planning how to do it. It took 2 full days to set up which was a party in itself followed by thee party with 12 monks for morning ceremony, Live Band, at least 400 + people attended thruout the day, police for security. The cost is endless and while I didn't keep an accurate tally - It cost close to 200K. All I can say is the party was Legendary.

I believe I'm the one the OP was referring to. The Good Luck party we had prior to officially moving into house was pretty big. The party slowly got bigger as we planning how to do it. It took 2 full days to set up which was a party in itself followed by thee party with 12 monks for morning ceremony, Live Band, at least 400 + people attended thruout the day, police for security. The cost is endless and while I didn't keep an accurate tally - It cost close to 200K. All I can say is the party was Legendary.

Wow! Rather excessive for a house warming.

To each his own.

Every situation will be different and there is no set standard.

If your lady and family are true Buddhists then the monks in the morning is very important as a good luck thing for you both as a couple. No need for a party as that is a show thing but most do it, few bottles of whiskey and coke a little grub. licklips.gif

A good point made in the previous thread is that you will be judged by the locals on their first impressions of you and your lifestyle. This was concerning a house in an Isaan village and would not be so apprpriate for a suburban house party.

A lavish and excessive party, a big house out of keeping with its surroundings, brand new pick-up etc will set a precedent. You will be expected to continue as you began or risk your wife and in-laws losing face. As each persons disposable income varies, set an upper limit for any party comparable to, say, the equivalent of one or two months normal expenditure.

Start as you mean to go on.

Same here. We had people who had official invites who left without handing the envelopes over as they could not get a seat. I have only been to 2 large house parties, and one of them was a wedding reception combined.

Not really related to the cost; but i really hate those tacky finger paintings the monks draw on the walls, over doors, on elavators etc...

So when we had a monk party at our shop, instead i had to monk do his finger painting on a black paper sheet (which he was quite happy to do); had it framed and looks a quite good.

Wow, you're really in tune with the local traditions, culture, and religion.

At the party the people with invites had their name logged in a register with amount of money they choose to donate. But an invite wasn't needed to partake in the music from live band. Vendors set up shop next to stage and sold drinks and such.