2007 Toyota Camry Engine Knock

indothai

Hi All,

I've got a 2007 Camry with engine knock occurring around 2500rpm, varies with load etc. It started to happen after using Gasohol, Toyota says Gasohol can be used on this year Camry...go figure.

But I have heard other Camry's drive by with noticeable engine knock as well, very similar sounding to what I'm trying to describe... I'm guessing they too are using Gasohol.

Anyone here with similar problems? How can I go about fixing this?, I prefer to use the cheaper Gasohol gas than the regular gas.

Advice / suggestions greatly appreciated!

I'd run a tank of regular through it to see if it goes away. If your lucky its just pre-detonation or what used to be called 'pinging' however I'd assume less likely on a modern fuel injected camry, (Unless you fitted some twin choke webbers to it).

If it goes away with the use of regular fuel have the timing retarded slightly and try again with the gasohol. If its still there with regular fuel ya can try timing but its more likely a mechanical knock. Good luck with it.

Edit-: Forgot about knock sensors. Good point transam! Check that first.

Edited by Pomthai

start with using 95 (only available as E10 gasohol). If its still there, or in any case to prevent it from happening again, see toyota to connect diagnosis. I do not think this engine has any knock sensor, no point as it is designed to run 91

late 2007 the 2,4 was converted to accept E20

start with using 95 (only available as E10 gasohol). If its still there, or in any case to prevent it from happening again, see toyota to connect diagnosis. I do not think this engine has any knock sensor, no point as it is designed to run 91

I don't know either but you will remember the old 1988 up Volvo V6 was designed to run on 95 and had 2 knock sensers.

I don't know either but you will remember the old 1988 up Volvo V6 was designed to run on 95 and had 2 knock sensers.

yep and thats the point with knock sensors. 95 and 98 designed engines able to survive low octane, providing lower output and more emission by knock sensor changing ignition and /or injection when using lower octane

todays petrol benz bluemotion in Th knock sensor is constantly detuning as they are desigend to run 98

Boy, I'm confused. I know the number ratings 91/95 stand for octane ratings, therefore gasohol or benzine it shouldn't matter, right?

Or does the octane rating goes out of whack with gasohol?

I'm just throwing ideas out here, since I haven't brought the car to the dealer yet.

On my way home yesterday, I bought one of those "Prolong Octane Power Boost" fuel additives, just to see if it will stop the noise. Trying to do DIY diagnostics before going to Toyota.

Thanks again for all the replies, greatly appreciate them!

Boy, I'm confused. I know the number ratings 91/95 stand for octane ratings, therefore gasohol or benzine it shouldn't matter, right?

I'm just throwing ideas out here, since I haven't brought the car to the dealer yet.

On my way home yesterday, I bought one of those "Prolong Octane Power Boost" fuel additives, just to see if it will stop the noise. Trying to do DIY diagnostics before going to Toyota.

Be nice to know if the engine has knock sensors. If it does then the on board computer will sort it out, if it doesn't then finding the right fuel is the answer. Naff cam will be noisy at any RPM.

Edited by transam

yep, 91 E10 and 95 E10 differs in octane only, and if it stops pinging using 95 it could be a minor problem

Hi Indothai,

Which version of the Camry do you have?

My Camry is the same year as yours (2007) and the owners manual states that for the 2.0 L (engine number 1AZ-FE) you should use 95 octane rated fuel or higher and for the 2.4 L (engine number 2AZ-FE) you should use 91 octane rated fuel or higher.

The manual also goes on to say that use of fuel with an octane number lower than stated will cause persistent heavy knocking.

If severe, this will lead to engine damage

When I first got the Camry I was using 95 rated petrol but had to switch to I have used 95 rated Gasohol, as most stations no longer sell 95 rated petrol.

I was reluctant to change from petrol to gasohol but to be honest I haven't noticed any difference and the change did not cause an engine knock.

Hope that you sort out the problem.

Regards,

Tiger.

Hi Indothai,

Which version of the Camry do you have?

My Camry is the same year as yours (2007) and the owners manual states that for the 2.0 L (engine number 1AZ-FE) you should use 95 octane rated fuel or higher and for the 2.4 L (engine number 2AZ-FE) you should use 91 octane rated fuel or higher.

The manual also goes on to say that use of fuel with an octane number lower than stated will cause persistent heavy knocking.

If severe, this will lead to engine damage

When I first got the Camry I was using 95 rated petrol but had to switch to I have used 95 rated Gasohol, as most stations no longer sell 95 rated petrol.

I was reluctant to change from petrol to gasohol but to be honest I haven't noticed any difference and the change did not cause an engine knock.

Hope that you sort out the problem.

Regards,

Tiger.

indicating it does not have any knock sensor

What about 95 benzine also available as is 91? Caltex

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hi Tiger,

Mine is a 2.4 Camry. Forgot what the engine model is.

I also have a Nissan March and a Honda Crv....and both doesn't have this problem. I still haven't had the chance to diagnose the car yet, I mostly drive the March, and dad drives the Camry.

But, thanks for the info!

What about 95 benzine also available as is 91? Caltex

no doubt 95 benzine is the best stuff, if it can be found

but if its a low octane knocking problem due to faulty electronics or sooted combustion chamber, any 95 is good enough for testing

guessing, I would assume its a gasohol issue, and sparkplugs are glazed black from melted rubber/plastic, thus needs higher octane until replaced

and then keep on running benzine every 3rd tank or so

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update:

Now I'm at half a tank of Shell Gasohol 91 mixed with "Prolong Octane Power Boost" fuel additive. The "ping"/"knock" is still there. I made a recording, not the best recording but you can hear it at 3 second and 8 second mark.

Recording http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12438299/Camry%20Knock%20Ping.mp3

*not related, but the right side factory HID bulb is dead, it would come on but would die after 5 minutes, I thought these bulbs are supposed to last the life of a car. sad.png

• 2 months later...

Just a small update:

Now I'm at half a tank of Shell Gasohol 91 mixed with "Prolong Octane Power Boost" fuel additive. The "ping"/"knock" is still there. I made a recording, not the best recording but you can hear it at 3 second and 8 second mark.

*not related, but the right side factory HID bulb is dead, it would come on but would die after 5 minutes, I thought these bulbs are supposed to last the life of a car. sad.png

A Toyota ECU computer diagnosis check is what you want running with 91 gasohol.

Did you do that ??

As for the headlight bulb sounds like a bad connection.

Edited by Kwasaki