Non O Multi Extend

I have had a non imm visa "0" multiple for three years now. I have to make a visa run by March 8 for my 90 day. I also plan to go to USA early April when my 1 year is up and get a new 1 year non-O. Is there any way I can get an extension at immigration in Jomtien instead of making the visa run for the period from March 8 to April 8? Thanks I am sure this has been answered but I can not seem to find.

Your non-O is based on what? - retirement,marriage to a Thai, having a Thai child?

If married to a Thai or having a Tchild with Thai nationality you can extend for 60 days. In all other cases you can only get 7 days extra to get out of dodge, unless you qualify for a 1 year extension of stay.

If you are over 50 and meet the financial requirements you could apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement and not have to get a new visa when you returned to the US. The financial requirements are: either 800000 baht in a Thai bank season (the first time for 2 months, follow-on extensions for 3 months) or proof of at least 65000 baht/month income from outside of Thailand. To prove this you would have to get a "Income Affidavit" from the US Embassy in Bangkok - a sworn notarized statement, or a combination of both.

Edited by wayned

Unless the money is already in the bank looks like only extension option is income. Missed by one day.

Or a combination of income and money in the bank, in which case there is no need for seasoning of the money in the bank. While he might also get a 7 day "extension" and apply after that.

Hi. I am not interested in "retirement" extension as I travel to States twice a year and the "O" has worked just fine. Thanks for the info but guess I will do the Cambodia run and then month later go to States as planed. I need to go anyway. Just thought I could get a 30 day extension for month of March without going to Cambodia but looks like I am out of luck. I go to Portland, Oregon consulate and I am in and out in 20 minutes with the one year multi "0" with no proof of where I live, no letter from embassy, etc. Thanks for your reply's. Much appreciated.

I am an American citizen and received my 7th. 12 month extension on my non-O visa for purpose of retirement today January 10, 2012. The officer accepted my notarized affidavit and did not request back up documentation (which I did have). The multiple re-entry permit was more of a hassle in terms of time and process for some reason.

Edited by loumaripol

I am an American citizen and received my 7th. 12 month extension on my non-O visa for purpose of retirement today January 10, 2012. The officer accepted my notarized affidavit and did not request back up documentation (which I did have). The multiple re-entry permit was more of a hassle in terms of time and process for some reason.

Hello IOU.. Are you saying you get a "O-A" extension of retirement visa? on 12 month extension you still have to report every 90 days to immigration? What I get is "0" once a year (or 15 months depending) from consulate which gives me multiple entry's in and out of Thailand with no reporting. Is this same thing? A little confusing.

An extension of stay is from immigraiton in Thailand and most times good for 1 year. A visa Non-O or O-A class is from a Thai embassy/consulate abroad.

In both situation, you have to report your adress if you stay in Thailand for 90 days in a row. The moment you leave Thailand, the 90 day clock is reset to day 1. So on an extension of stay you do report every 90 days, as you will also do on a O-A visa, but not on a non-O visa entry as you must leave at day 90.

An extension of stay is from immigraiton in Thailand and most times good for 1 year. A visa Non-O or O-A class is from a Thai embassy/consulate abroad.

In both situation, you have to report your adress if you stay in Thailand for 90 days in a row. The moment you leave Thailand, the 90 day clock is reset to day 1. So on an extension of stay you do report every 90 days, as you will also do on a O-A visa, but not on a non-O visa entry as you must leave at day 90.

Thanks for info. This is what I thought. Even if you have "O-A" or extension of stay you still must report to immigration every 90 days with documents or as I do with "O" I just need to leave every 90 days and clock starts over with no documentation. Works better for me as I leave anyway every 90 days.

Hi Mario: if you dont mind, do you know the process of changing a non-o to B? Our informed (not really?) Hr department says I must exit the country, go get a tourist visa, then return and they change it to a B. This seems a bit strange to me. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

A non-O doesn't need to be converted to a non-B. You are on an extension of stay based on a particulair reason and can simply change the reason of stay to another reason of stay without needing to get a new visa first.

That might be different if you you are on an extension of stay based on retirement (depending on both labour office and immirgation office you are dealing with). But a work permit is for instance also issued on an extension of stay based on marriage.

Hi Mario: if you dont mind, do you know the process of changing a non-o to B? Our informed (not really?) Hr department says I must exit the country, go get a tourist visa, then return and they change it to a B. This seems a bit strange to me. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

On what basis was the Non Immigrant O issued and are you referring to an Extension of Permission to Stay obtained within Thailand or a Multi Entry Visa obtained in another country?

A non-O doesn't need to be converted to a non-B. You are on an extension of stay based on a particulair reason and can simply change the reason of stay to another reason of stay without needing to get a new visa first.

That might be different if you you are on an extension of stay based on retirement (depending on both labour office and immirgation office you are dealing with). But a work permit is for instance also issued on an extension of stay based on marriage.

Non o marriage, getting a work permit tomorrow but non o expires later this month.

You can choose if you want to extend your stay based on marriage or on your work. That is up to you, as long as you meet the requirement.

No need for a neew visa, the labour department woudn't give you a WP if you don't have the correct visa/extension of stay anyway.

You can choose if you want to extend your stay based on marriage or on your work. That is up to you, as long as you meet the requirement.

No need for a neew visa, the labour department woudn't give you a WP if you don't have the correct visa/extension of stay anyway.

Cheers, i guess the question is that once i have the work permit, would i have to extend my stay based on marriage requirements (money in the bank) or is there is something else?

Cheers, i guess the question is that once i have the work permit, would i have to extend my stay based on marriage requirements (money in the bank) or is there is something else?

Normal basis - money in the bank or Income of 40,000 THB PCM with Work Permit/PND91/PND1, etc - either way the wording above your extension stamp is the same.

They are not the same in any way. If you extend for work it ends with the end of work. If for Thai wife when she leaves. Although perhaps both can be considered work for some.rolleyes.gif

Suspect if office knows what it is saying that your local labor will not issue any work permit on a non immigrant O visa entry but I would confirm that before taking there word. But in that case the normal procedure would be to make application and exit with receipt and company paperwork to obtain the non immigrant B visa. It appears office is expecting you to make a tourist visa entry and then do a 2,000 baht conversion in the 1,900 baht one year extension of stay process and you will be locked into a work extension of stay and they have your future in there hands.

They are not the same in any way. If you extend for work it ends with the end of work. If for Thai wife when she leaves. Although perhaps both can be considered work for some.rolleyes.gif

Suspect if office knows what it is saying that your local labor will not issue any work permit on a non immigrant O visa entry but I would confirm that before taking there word. But in that case the normal procedure would be to make application and exit with receipt and company paperwork to obtain the non immigrant B visa. It appears office is expecting you to make a tourist visa entry and then do a 2,000 baht conversion in the 1,900 baht one year extension of stay process and you will be locked into a work extension of stay and they have your future in there hands.

My Local Labour department (Phuket) will re-issue a work permit if your extension is one year, based on Marriage to a Thai (Police Order 777/2551 Clause 2.18), particularly if the original Visa entry in the past was a non immigrant B. This type of extension can be obtained based on 400,000 THB in the bank or 40,000 THB PCM with Work Permit/PND91/PND1, etc. With either of the above 2.18 methods the Thai wording above the extension stamp is the same.

The extension wording in your passsport is not the same if you have made a 2.1 extension based on employment and as Lopburi has pointed out the criteria for these two types of extension to be lost are very different (2.1 - day you finish employment vs. 2.18 - divorce).

Definitely try Labour first as you may well not need to leave Thailand and obtain a fresh Non Immigrant B Visa.

However there are definitely problems getting a Work Permit issued based on a 60 day 'Visiting Wife' Extension of Permission to Stay, even if this obtained with an original 90 day Non Immigrant B Entry in your passport.

I believe Lopburi was pointing out that the reason for the extension of stay have different consequences: on an extension of stay based on a Thai wife you don't have to leave the countryright away if you lose your job, but do have to leave right away if you lose your wife. While on an extension of stay based on work you can stay if your wife leaves you, but have to leave right away when your job ends.

He said that labour will issue him a WP, (post 15) so that will not be a problem.

Non o marriage, getting a work permit tomorrow but non o expires later this month.

i'm on a non-o multi based on half thai child.. issued in birmingham UK ..

so does this mean when i have done the 15 months i can then get a further 60 day extension ?

From Police order 777/2551

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Hi All,

My situation is very similar to this topic right now, as I have to renew my non imm O visa.

Some background: I got my non imm O visa in Holland, on the basis of marriage/children in Thailand,

in November 2010.

I entered Thailand late Nov 2010.

I started a job in Bangkok beginning of June 2011, and got a work permit on the non imm O.

In October 2011 I went back to Holland for 2 weeks. Came back to Thailand on Nov 1st 2011.

Got a 90-day stamp until 29th Jan 2012.

The non imm O visa expired on 26th Nov 2011.

Obviously, I have to renew my non imm O this month.

Questions:

1) Should I opt for a non imm B, with docs from my employer, or should I go for non imm O?

I heard that the non imm B is linked to the work permit; so if the wp (and/or job) is cancelled/over, the non imm B would be finished, and I would have no visa. I do plan to look for another job, and not continue after my contract expires end May 2012.

2) Can I get a new non imm O here in Bangkok?

I went to immigration here in BKK twice, both times I was not treated friendly, to say the least.

3) If I apply for non imm O, let's say in Laos, should I just stick to the marriage/parental aspect, and not mention my job/wp in Bangkok?

I sure don't have 400K baht in any account.

What would be my best option???

Thanks!

As I see it you have multiple options, but you can not renew a visa. You can either apply for an extension of stay or go to a consulate in a neighboring country and apply for a new visae As I see it your options are: 1. Extend your current permission to stay for employment purposes with the proper documentation from your employer. The extension will be to the end of your current employment contract/ work permit expiration. When your employment terminates, wour permission to stay in Thailand terminates, but since you have a Thai family you can apply for a 60 day extension -1900 baht - and find another job or extend for marriage purposes. You will have to do 90 day reports at immigration inside Thailand. 2. Extend your permission to stay for for 1 year for marriage purposes if you meet the financial requirements (bank deposit of 400000 baht or 40000baht/monthy income). Since you don't have the 400000 in the bank you can apply using the monthy income method with a "income affidavit" from your embassy. Since the extension is not tied to your employment, if your employmrent ends, it does not affect your permission to stay. You will have to do 90 day reports at immigration. 3. If you cannot meet the financial requirements,travel to a neighboring country and apply for another non-O visa for visiting family. You will have to make border runs evert 90 days. You cannot get a new Non-O visa in Thailand.

Edited by wayned

@wayned

Thanks!

1) The less I have to deal with any immigration, the better.

2) I don't meet either of the financial requirements.

3) The less documents I need, the better.

It seems that my best option is to just go to Laos, apply for a new non imm O, on the basis of

marriage/children, and go back to work, and exit/enter every 90 days.

Basically, if my job ends (for whatever reason), my wp is terminated, but also my non imm B visa (although I can get limited extensions).

However, when I have a non imm O, my permission to stay continues, regardless of jobs/wp's, correct?

It's odd that there are financial requirements for when you apply for extension, but not for applying

for a brand new. But convenient for me.

I take it the above follows current regulations?

Cheers!

@wayned

Thanks!

1) The less I have to deal with any immigration, the better.

2) I don't meet either of the financial requirements.

3) The less documents I need, the better.

It seems that my best option is to just go to Laos, apply for a new non imm O, on the basis of

marriage/children, and go back to work, and exit/enter every 90 days.

Basically, if my job ends (for whatever reason), my wp is terminated, but also my non imm B visa (although I can get limited extensions).

However, when I have a non imm O, my permission to stay continues, regardless of jobs/wp's, correct?

It's odd that there are financial requirements for when you apply for extension, but not for applying

for a brand new. But convenient for me.

I take it the above follows current regulations?

Cheers!

As long as the labor office will issue a WP on the Non-O visa, you should be ok.

As far as the financial requirements, I agree that it doesn't make any sense, but that's the law. I often wonder why you had to have only 400000 baht in the bank for a marriage extension to support a family but need 800000 in the bank to get an "old farts" extension to support yourself, but its the law.