Residential Kitchen Gas Bottle Stored Outside Of The House

Had many go-ins with our incompetent builder today, one was I wanted holes punched through some brick 'walls' in the kitchen cupboards between the gas stove and where I plan to build a little 'house' for 2 gas bottles out side of the house, next to the wall of the kitchen (outside).

Anything to do with safety, Thailand is back in the caveman days from my observations and any effort to improve my own odds, well seem to be constantly destroyed. It seems normal here to use soft non heat resistant clear hose between a gas bottle and the cooker, buying replacement O rings that fit also seem next to impossible, (I am sure someone may have done this though). Also, I see it is the norm to keep these bottle inside, often very close to the flames, I wanted to just build a little ventilated locked shelter out side, so if there is a fire or what ever, it is one less thing to be critical. Our builder insist it is illegal. Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever seen copper pipe to gas bottles in Thailand for a fixed insulation?

I'll be interested in this one too as we intend having our (large) bottles outside (under cover).

Bottles at the restaurant are outside and wifey agrees that it's safer, builder seems ok with it, so no idea on the legality thing.

Well I did what you have suggested. No idea about about legality and am not going to lose any sleep over it either.

I did it partly for safety reasons, partly to save space in the kitchen, and partly because I did not want the base of gas bottles banging and scraping tiles all the way from the front door to the spot where it would have sat.

I have previously looked for copper gas tubing here but did not find any.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I've been told by a few Thai, I like to cook with gas, and they said not to let anyone see it in my studio condo.

Many condos have rules that gas cooking appliances are not permitted for safety reasons.

This is normal.

Thai don't like the gas bottle inside, in case of leak.

Our OP is having issues with his builder saying that the bottles must be INSIDE, totally counter intuitive :(

Most condo's do have a rule, no gas bottles in the units. I saw what was left of a place in Jomtien Condo Complex after a bottle caught on fire and everyone ran.

I my house I have a hole drilled through the wall from the kitchen to the utility room, also don't want the gas bottle in the house proper. I don't like the clear plastic water hose that they sometimes think is OK for gas so I put fittings on a steel braided hydraulic line and haven't touched in 6 years.

If the contractor is saying it's against the law, call BS on him, it's probably more down to shear laziness or never seen it before.

If all else fails its not hard to drill a hole through the wall yourself

Strongly suspect your contractor is talking absolute BS and just being lazy, the logical and most technically correct place is to put them outside and pipe the gas in, at least then if the cylinder leaks its in the open air.

This sounds like what a Thai "electrican" told me years ago that Thai power supply doesnt need a ground spike, Thai power not same as Farang power....cowboy.gif

Strongly suspect your contractor is talking absolute BS and just being lazy, the logical and most technically correct place is to put them outside and pipe the gas in, at least then if the cylinder leaks its in the open air.

This sounds like what a Thai "electrican" told me years ago that Thai power supply doesnt need a ground spike, Thai power not same as Farang power....cowboy.gif

Exactly the contractors here just look at us to pay the bills and secretly feel that we are idiots. They have their own way of doing things and could care less what the customer wants. The Thai way is to do a job incorrectly and then come back and fix it later rather than doing it right the first time

Tell him to put your gas outside or get a new contractor , case closed

I've got my tank outside with a hose through the wall to my two burner stove on a countertop, and from the tank to my barbecue on the deck.

Guy doing the work seemed to think it was normal.

Almost all Thai have outside - they also cook outside for very good reason. There is nothing illegal about having outside where they belong.

As for copper you can use if you wish - available from any air conditioning shop. I used some 30 years ago here and Thai had no problem installing once they understood what I wanted (was for upstairs water heater from ground outside tank). But there is much better quality hose than clear plastic for normal usage. Normally orange or yellow outer over black inner (and believe fiber) which lasts forever and not likely to melt from sparks as the clear can do.