Thailand Found Over 10,000 New Hiv/Aids Patients In 2011

Lite Beer

I made a fake profile on gay romeo looking for sex without condoms, as a way to measure the level of unsafe sex amongst gays in Thailand. My alter ego has had hundreds of acceptances.

Don't worry, being gay is OK in Thailand. You don't need to use fake name.

Yeah, but really why would you want to when you can make up a lewd suggestive name instead?

They should conduct health checks on all visitors arriving in Bangkok

takes weeks my friend

Yes !

And what about the Countries the visitors are returning to? as it takes so long for Aids to show up?

A tourist could have been to a dozen Countries,and had several HIV Tests, before being diagnosed with HIV many weeks later.

Hate to say it, but you are both wrong. It takes about 2 hours to have a blood test done and to get the result to see if you are Positive or Negative.

According to CIA world fact sheet, in Thailand 1.3% of adults (aged 15-49) are living with HIV/AIDS.

And this rate is going down (was 1.4% just 2 years ago).

Would be nice if they had a break down of these newly infected cases (infected by gay sex, by heterosexual sex, by drug abuse, etc).

In any case:

It is still higher than any developed nation in the world:

Highest among developed nations are the USA and Portugal where 0.6% of the adults aged 15-49 have HIV.

Actually I think there are tests that show results in seconds, aren't there? Anyway, there is the issue of conversion time. Newly infected people won't show positive for months.

There are several rapid tests that can show HIV antibodies, and work like home pregnancy or field malaria rapid tests. They seem to be very accurate and are used in numerous settings including labor and delivery, ambulatory clinical sites, emergency departments, hospital inpatient services, correctional facilities, and for occupational exposures.

It should be noted that the availability of post-test counseling is mandatory for HIV-positive individuals .

http://www.cdc.gov/h...apid_review.pdf

Edited by Reasonableman

takes weeks my friend

Yes !

And what about the Countries the visitors are returning to? as it takes so long for Aids to show up?

A tourist could have been to a dozen Countries,and had several HIV Tests, before being diagnosed with HIV many weeks later.

Hate to say it, but you are both wrong. It takes about 2 hours to have a blood test done and to get the result to see if you are Positive or Negative.

You are talking about the Aids Test,which is not the same as the point of infection,which can take many many weeks to show up as Positive.

• Like 1

many people(especially women) refuse to take any kind of tests like this or pap test because they're embarrassed. I know this because I'm in my mid 20s and none of my friends have ever had any tests done to check for STIs let alone HIV...

who could blame them for being embarrassed really though, some of the hospital staff here are truly unprofessional. One of my expat friends went for tests last year and the nurses were staring, giggling and gossiping about her right there in the office.

I took my girlfriend to the doctor to get her first ever PAP smear. She had no idea about it, so I asked the doctor to kindly explain to her what it was and how often she need it. He turned beet red with embarrassment and literally walked out of the room. He wouldn't come back and sent a nurse out to assist. I said forget it and we left, went to another place.

"Totally unprofessional" is an understatement. But with the amount of people who just buy their way into a position, it is not surprising.

takes weeks my friend

Yes !

45 minutes is how long it took them at Bumrungrad three years ago.

And a lot of "old farangs" not worry too to become HIV because now it's easy to live 5-15 years with it.

May surprise you to know that the UK life expectancy for a 20yo with HIV is now 46 years!

That's not Thailand and the stuff you have to take to achieve that is really not good for your (still shortened) life. That doesn,t even take into account the effect it will have on your personal relationships.

Condoms are really no big deal in this risk/reward scenario. Stick with them. I'm amazed how many people don't, it's amazing how many Thai girls don't care which is obvious from how many get pregnant and send the baby to mum.

Edited by cheeryble

It seems to me that there are people contributing to this thread who are well out of their depth on this subject. Being infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus does not mean that you are diseased in the true sense of the word. It is acquired by the exchange of bodily fluids and can exist in the body for up to 6 months and infect others before showing up in tests. Thus the suggestion that incoming tourists be tested at the airport is total nonsense. After a blood sample is taken the test results are not known for about a week and if taken at a private hospital the cost is pretty high. The virus is parasitical meaning that it cannot survive outside of a human. or presumably simian, body for only a few seconds.

The virus attaches itself to white blood cells and attacks them so that the CD4 type T cells which combat infections decrease in number and the victim becomes at risk with many types of infections and cancers. The point of no return occurs when the CD4 cell count per millilitre of blood falls to 200, and the viral load i.e. the number of damaged cells per millilitre, increases and this can be as high as 100,000, at which point full blown AIDS sets in. Now that the immune system has been seriously compromised and the body’s defences destroyed, opportunistic diseases and cancers finish off the victim. Which is the final killer is much dependant upon the prevalence locally, tuberculosis, diabetes and pneumonia (in all its forms) being at the forefront in Thailand.

Treatment of those who are HIV positive is itself hazardous. Powerful drugs used in combination can actually put the patient as risk. Regular tests should be carried out on liver and kidney functions to ensure that their actions are not being compromised. If so, a knowledgeable doctor will change the medication. However doctors with sufficient knowledge of the effective treatment of the HIV virus are thin on the ground in Thailand. The doctor who treats my wife, who has been HIV positive for over 20 years, stated that there are only 12 or so doctors who really know what they are about. These doctors meet at regular intervals to discuss developments and report on treatments successful and not so successful. Two of these doctors work out of Bumrungrad and another at Chonburi Hospital. Maybe the most knowledgeable of the group works in Pattaya under the auspices of a private charity and as far as I know only accepts Thai patients.

The standard treatment for HIV patients is a combination of three powerful drugs in one tablet produced by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation and known as VIR. This, as with most things in Thailand, has its drawbacks. Dissatisfied with the suggestion that my wife discontinue treatment since her CD4 count had reached 11,400, a phenomenal rise from only 400 two years previously, we consulted one of the recognised gurus in BKK who took one look at my wife, then told her that she had been treated with GPO-VIR and it was now poisoning her, before we uttered a word. Tests proved that he was correct. Her medication was changed and after about 15 months was again varied by another of the gifted dozen whose surgery is much nearer to our home who now treats her. With a CD4 count steady around 10,000 and the viral load virtually undetectable (less than 40 copies per millilitre) the doctor told us that her blood was now in better condition than his own, or mine, and he expects her to enjoy a normal life span. The primary danger is that to her liver and kidneys tolerating the antivirals.  The use of NSAIDS for the treatment of any incidental ailments is not recommended.

Ladies, certainly those over the age of 35 years, should undergo regular cervical examination and a smear test. Practically everybody who has ever had sex has acquired HPV’s (Human Papilloma Virus). There are over 100 types of the virus, you can pick up one or more merely by shaking hands but only about 40 % are acquired by sexual activity. Normally the body’s defence system takes care and people are unaware of them but HIV patients may be advised to have an injection of an anti HPV agent. However 4 or 5 types of HPV can bring on the onset of cervical cancer and it important that the DNA of all HPVs is checked to ensure that they are identified. If detected early on, the damaged cells can be removed and the dangers of cancer eliminated.

Initially my wife was shy and not in favour of talking about her affliction with others but now all relatives and friends know. I have convinced her that it can only be good that others learn from our experience and that there is nothing to fear about contracting HIV and it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. The main problems of HIV arise from not knowing where to go for the best possible and up to date treatment and having the wherewithal to pay for it.

• Like 1

Based on my knoweledge of girls that have had HIV the 1m is not even close to the truth. Try 2 or 3m!!

Way back in 2002/2003 I was aware at the time of 2 ladies who were working at the time and I probably new maybe no more than 20 ladies at the time. These 2 ladies lived no more than 1km apart. Some staff and others acquaintances! Now that is 10%! So if you were to do a rough guestimate eg. half that 10% that = 5% and 5% of population is 3m!!! I bet im not far off!!

Its also sometimes quite often easy to spot some of the sexpats/tourists who have it!!

Be careful out there!!!!

Gaunt looking, thin, underweight. They are often unwell with something and generally look this way. This is what 3 guys who I know have it look like. Obviously not all carriers suffer these symptoms. Nor does it mean you have it if you look like this. Like I said!! The ladies tend not to show outwardly signs from what I have seen!

Regardless, folk have to be careful out there if they are dipping their wick!!

PS: Your image might have it!

yours

2sticksofdynamite

Gaunt looking, thin, underweight. They are often unwell with something and generally look this way. This is what 3 guys who I know have it look like. Obviously not all carriers suffer these symptoms. Nor does it mean you have it if you look like this. Like I said!! The ladies tend not to show outwardly signs from what I have seen!

yours

2sticksofdynamite

Ha! ha! Hey Sherlock! Sounds like the average TEFL teacher to me. Back to detective classes for you.

Though, the ones who have HIV/AIDS do not tell newly found G/F or B/F, they have it and often refuse to use a condom or they don’t feel comfortable practicing safe sex. Kind of like playing Russian roulette.

<p><span class="long_text" id="result_box">Looks to me more

Oh my god, I think a lot of posters here need to go and get educated on this subject especially the ones that claim or believe they know something about it, the subject matter of this thread is the 2011 increase incidence of HIV cases, the most dangerous people with this cronic illness are the people who don't know they have it, once proper medication is provided to those infected it stops the chance of infecting others to almost zero, the world health organisations recently published strategy to combat the spread of HIV is actually to test and treat, if every person in the world infected with HIV was to be tested and treated it would stop HIV in it's tracks - this is now a very well known fact.

If Thailand wants to combat it's HIV situation they need to provide free or compulsary screening then free treatment, it is as simple as that - not just in Thailand but every country worldwide

Most of this came from a BBC news item not too long ago.........go read it and educate yourselves :)

• Like 1

yours

2sticksofdynamite

Ha! ha! Hey Sherlock! Sounds like the average TEFL teacher to me. Back to detective classes for you.

How very very unperceptive of you!!!! But nevermind!

A TEFL teacher wouldnt even make the fuse.

It seems to me that there are people contributing to this thread who are well out of their depth on this subject. Being infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus does not mean that you are diseased in the true sense of the word. It is acquired by the exchange of bodily fluids and can exist in the body for up to 6 months and infect others before showing up in tests. Thus the suggestion that incoming tourists be tested at the airport is total nonsense. After a blood sample is taken the test results are not known for about a week and if taken at a private hospital the cost is pretty high. The virus is parasitical meaning that it cannot survive outside of a human. or presumably simian, body for only a few seconds. The virus attaches itself to white blood cells and attacks them so that the CD4 type T cells which combat infections decrease in number and the victim becomes at risk with many types of infections and cancers. The point of no return occurs when the CD4 cell count per millilitre of blood falls to 200, and the viral load i.e. the number of damaged cells per millilitre, increases and this can be as high as 100,000, at which point full blown AIDS sets in. Now that the immune system has been seriously compromised and the body’s defences destroyed, opportunistic diseases and cancers finish off the victim. Which is the final killer is much dependant upon the prevalence locally, tuberculosis, diabetes and pneumonia (in all its forms) being at the forefront in Thailand. Treatment of those who are HIV positive is itself hazardous. Powerful drugs used in combination can actually put the patient as risk. Regular tests should be carried out on liver and kidney functions to ensure that their actions are not being compromised. If so, a knowledgeable doctor will change the medication. However doctors with sufficient knowledge of the effective treatment of the HIV virus are thin on the ground in Thailand. The doctor who treats my wife, who has been HIV positive for over 20 years, stated that there are only 12 or so doctors who really know what they are about. These doctors meet at regular intervals to discuss developments and report on treatments successful and not so successful. Two of these doctors work out of Bumrungrad and another at Chonburi Hospital. Maybe the most knowledgeable of the group works in Pattaya under the auspices of a private charity and as far as I know only accepts Thai patients. The standard treatment for HIV patients is a combination of three powerful drugs in one tablet produced by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation and known as VIR. This, as with most things in Thailand, has its drawbacks. Dissatisfied with the suggestion that my wife discontinue treatment since her CD4 count had reached 11,400, a phenomenal rise from only 400 two years previously, we consulted one of the recognised gurus in BKK who took one look at my wife, then told her that she had been treated with GPO-VIR and it was now poisoning her, before we uttered a word. Tests proved that he was correct. Her medication was changed and after about 15 months was again varied by another of the gifted dozen whose surgery is much nearer to our home who now treats her. With a CD4 count steady around 10,000 and the viral load virtually undetectable (less than 40 copies per millilitre) the doctor told us that her blood was now in better condition than his own, or mine, and he expects her to enjoy a normal life span. The primary danger is that to her liver and kidneys tolerating the antivirals. The use of NSAIDS for the treatment of any incidental ailments is not recommended. Ladies, certainly those over the age of 35 years, should undergo regular cervical examination and a smear test. Practically everybody who has ever had sex has acquired HPV’s (Human Papilloma Virus). There are over 100 types of the virus, you can pick up one or more merely by shaking hands but only about 40 % are acquired by sexual activity. Normally the body’s defence system takes care and people are unaware of them but HIV patients may be advised to have an injection of an anti HPV agent. However 4 or 5 types of HPV can bring on the onset of cervical cancer and it important that the DNA of all HPVs is checked to ensure that they are identified. If detected early on, the damaged cells can be removed and the dangers of cancer eliminated. Initially my wife was shy and not in favour of talking about her affliction with others but now all relatives and friends know. I have convinced her that it can only be good that others learn from our experience and that there is nothing to fear about contracting HIV and it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. The main problems of HIV arise from not knowing where to go for the best possible and up to date treatment and having the wherewithal to pay for it.

Bagwan, a normal CD4 count is 500-1,500 in a healthy person and a HIV positive person will slowly reduce over time to the point where ART will commence when CD4 reaches 500. Previously, treatment started when a patient's CD4 was 300.

I am curious how your wife's CD4 is 11,400 or 10,000. Do you mean 1,400 - 1,000?

I commend you and your wife for being open and honest.

And a lot of "old farangs" not worry too to become HIV because now it's easy to live 5-15 years with it. Better than use condoms.

Ask the girls how much farangs want to have sex without condoms!!!

With todays medication and if diagnosticed before HIV caused AIDS....you can live a normal live....no restriction anymore!

Even HIV positive women born HIV negative kids.....Medication and cesarian section!

There are discussions that even a cure is posible, but they just make too good money with selling so much drugs to regulars....?!

Many Thai sexworker and also other women got HIV at the illegal abortion places! There were many reports the last 2 years....

It seems to me that there are people contributing to this thread who are well out of their depth on this subject. Being infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus does not mean that you are diseased in the true sense of the word. It is acquired by the exchange of bodily fluids and can exist in the body for up to 6 months and infect others before showing up in tests. Thus the suggestion that incoming tourists be tested at the airport is total nonsense. After a blood sample is taken the test results are not known for about a week and if taken at a private hospital the cost is pretty high. The virus is parasitical meaning that it cannot survive outside of a human. or presumably simian, body for only a few seconds. The virus attaches itself to white blood cells and attacks them so that the CD4 type T cells which combat infections decrease in number and the victim becomes at risk with many types of infections and cancers. The point of no return occurs when the CD4 cell count per millilitre of blood falls to 200, and the viral load i.e. the number of damaged cells per millilitre, increases and this can be as high as 100,000, at which point full blown AIDS sets in. Now that the immune system has been seriously compromised and the body’s defences destroyed, opportunistic diseases and cancers finish off the victim. Which is the final killer is much dependant upon the prevalence locally, tuberculosis, diabetes and pneumonia (in all its forms) being at the forefront in Thailand. Treatment of those who are HIV positive is itself hazardous. Powerful drugs used in combination can actually put the patient as risk. Regular tests should be carried out on liver and kidney functions to ensure that their actions are not being compromised. If so, a knowledgeable doctor will change the medication. However doctors with sufficient knowledge of the effective treatment of the HIV virus are thin on the ground in Thailand. The doctor who treats my wife, who has been HIV positive for over 20 years, stated that there are only 12 or so doctors who really know what they are about. These doctors meet at regular intervals to discuss developments and report on treatments successful and not so successful. Two of these doctors work out of Bumrungrad and another at Chonburi Hospital. Maybe the most knowledgeable of the group works in Pattaya under the auspices of a private charity and as far as I know only accepts Thai patients. The standard treatment for HIV patients is a combination of three powerful drugs in one tablet produced by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation and known as VIR. This, as with most things in Thailand, has its drawbacks. Dissatisfied with the suggestion that my wife discontinue treatment since her CD4 count had reached 11,400, a phenomenal rise from only 400 two years previously, we consulted one of the recognised gurus in BKK who took one look at my wife, then told her that she had been treated with GPO-VIR and it was now poisoning her, before we uttered a word. Tests proved that he was correct. Her medication was changed and after about 15 months was again varied by another of the gifted dozen whose surgery is much nearer to our home who now treats her. With a CD4 count steady around 10,000 and the viral load virtually undetectable (less than 40 copies per millilitre) the doctor told us that her blood was now in better condition than his own, or mine, and he expects her to enjoy a normal life span. The primary danger is that to her liver and kidneys tolerating the antivirals. The use of NSAIDS for the treatment of any incidental ailments is not recommended. Ladies, certainly those over the age of 35 years, should undergo regular cervical examination and a smear test. Practically everybody who has ever had sex has acquired HPV’s (Human Papilloma Virus). There are over 100 types of the virus, you can pick up one or more merely by shaking hands but only about 40 % are acquired by sexual activity. Normally the body’s defence system takes care and people are unaware of them but HIV patients may be advised to have an injection of an anti HPV agent. However 4 or 5 types of HPV can bring on the onset of cervical cancer and it important that the DNA of all HPVs is checked to ensure that they are identified. If detected early on, the damaged cells can be removed and the dangers of cancer eliminated. Initially my wife was shy and not in favour of talking about her affliction with others but now all relatives and friends know. I have convinced her that it can only be good that others learn from our experience and that there is nothing to fear about contracting HIV and it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. The main problems of HIV arise from not knowing where to go for the best possible and up to date treatment and having the wherewithal to pay for it.

Bagwan, a normal CD4 count is 500-1,500 in a healthy person and a HIV positive person will slowly reduce over time to the point where ART will commence when CD4 reaches 500. Previously, treatment started when a patient's CD4 was 300.

I am curious how your wife's CD4 is 11,400 or 10,000. Do you mean 1,400 - 1,000?

I commend you and your wife for being open and honest.

Yes, you are correct, or almost. It seems that my fingers ran away with themselves. After checking my wife's medical records I can confirm that her highest CD4 count was 1140 and the Assistant Professor at Bumrungrad then treating her told me that 1400 was the upper limit and that it was extremely rare for somebody to record at that level. The CD4 level constantly varies and she has registered as low as 820 i.e. well within normal range. She will be taking a routine six monthly test again in 3 or 4 weeks and her doctor says that her CD4 count doesn't count for much now. What is important is her liver and kidneys are coping and that the viral load stays below 50 copies. Her last 4 tests have shown less than 40 copies i.e. virtually undetectable.

I had known her for less than a week when I took her to BPH as I was concerned about her constant coughing. She was diagnosed as having tuberculosis, chlamydia and was very anaemic. The doctor insisted she be admitted without delay and said that without effective treatment her life span was about three months. One week later the doctor told me that she was HIV positive. It was a very worrying five months before she was clear of TB and then antiviral treatment could begin.

What surprises me is that she was infected by her husband more than 10 years previously. He took off with one of his several girlfriends when his wife announced that she was pregnant with their second child. She was an abandoned lady taking whatever work she could to feed herself and her two children, often going without food herself just to provide for the kids. That she survived is a miracle and I view her as an heroic lady - and I have made sure that her two now grown up children know just how grateful to her they should be. It has been a privilege for me to have been able to assist and succour such an unselfish and courageous lady.

I am uncharitable enough to say that I am pleased that her former husband and his cousin who shared the pleasures(?) of the same lady in Buriram, both died of AIDS related diseases within two years of gaining his freedom from the shackles of behaving like a responsible caring adult by providing for his wife and offspring. Som nam na.

My postings are not for self glorification as I have been amply rewarded by having a loyal and trusted friend and lover for the past ten years, and earning the love and respect of my Thai family. My inputs are an attempt to allay the fears of others and to combat the widespread ignorance of an affliction that can be treated.

I forget the actual figures of reported HIV for Chonburi Province but about 30,000 rings a bell The highest incidence is SrIracha where the local non private hospital has 8000 patients on their books. The doctor that we consult is in a private and charitable practice and administers to 7000 by himself - more than the combined numbers for the Bangkok Group hospitals in Pattaya and Rayong. This is Thailand - no Hippocratic Oath - money is number one. Seems that it is in the realms of fantasy to suggest that the medical profession as an entity should experience any feelings of shame.

I have seen quite a few nurses taking blood samples in Koh Chang and Samui, all at girlie bars of course.

Many people die of ignorance up here in Issan there have been three funerals this years in my village and two were thirty something aids victims.

They prefer to ignore it than deal with it due to lack of knowledge.

many people(especially women) refuse to take any kind of tests like this or pap test because they're embarrassed. I know this because I'm in my mid 20s and none of my friends have ever had any tests done to check for STIs let alone HIV...

who could blame them for being embarrassed really though, some of the hospital staff here are truly unprofessional. One of my expat friends went for tests last year and the nurses were staring, giggling and gossiping about her right there in the office.

True i went for a test last june and when i left the doctors room after asking for one all the nurses where staring at my groin region. How did they know what i went in to ask?