Visa Runs

Does anyone have any info on DIRECT flights from either Hat Yai or Phuket to Penang?

On a different subject in view of recent reports of congestion at the Poipet border crossing would it be advantageous to travel that much further (from Pattaya) and use the crossing at Trat? Opinions welcomed.

Some Thai Airways flights from Bangkok to Penang stop at Phuket. Any decent travel agent should be able to advise you. I went to Hat Lek (trat) just over a month ago and will never use that route again because the Khmer immigration officials there are corrupt scum. Stick to Poipet. In fact, if you are down south, much better to go to Pedang Besar. Malaysia doesn't charge for visas, and the trip from Hat Yai takes about 45 minutes (from memory of trips over 10 years ago).

I went to Trat from Pattaya on Jan 7 (90 bt, 4 hours if you get the direct bus), then by minibus to Hat LEk (100 bt one-way, 1.5 hours). The Kmers there are scum, very sloppy and rude, they only take Thai bt for the visa (1000 bt). They charged me an extra 300 bt since I did not stay one night in Camb. But definitely not crowded, I was the only one there at 15:30. The Thai people were very nice.

I routinely drive from Pattaya to Ko Kong, Cambodia to renew my visa.

As usual, on the Cambo side, it takes 6 people 30 minutes to do what takes 5 minutes for one person to do anywhere else in the world, & they charge an extra 300 baht if you hand them your entry & exit forms at the same time. (I experienced the same thing a couple weeks ago at the Chong Chom border just south of Surin).

I usually try to schedule my visa runs on a Friday afternoon, then head back to Trat/Laem Ngop & take the car ferry over to Ko Chang for a couple nights.

Nice way to break up the trip

I would not recommend going to Hat Lek, that is the worste experience you will have. I can assure you. The Cambodians are so corrupt to the point of killing the goose that lays thier daily goldern eggs.

You can catch a flight from BKK to Hat Yai and take a 100Baht minibux to Sadoa the border town. It looks like Little Pattaya, except the falangs are all Indian, or take a bus to Hat Yai for 550Baht. Aircon, overnight trip. Remember the Malaysian border only closes at midnight.

No visa fees on the Malaysian boarder, so it discounts your airfare.

I would not recommend going to Hat Lek, that is the worste experience you will have. I can assure you. The Cambodians are so corrupt to the point of killing the goose that lays thier daily goldern eggs.

Cheer Aqua, but gotta disagree with you.

I've been to Ko Kong at least 6 or 7 times, & got the same service as in Poi Pet or Chong Chom (or Pnomh Penh or Siem Reap for that matter).

Maybe it's just a Cambodian thing, where one has to deal with unwanted touts trying to sell anything and everything to us visa-runners?.