Big Service, Which Things Are Non-Essential?

Going to take my Isuzu truck in for service, it's been a long while since the last really major service where absolutely all liquids were replaced so I'm getting that done. Dealer of course also tries to sell me wheel bearings which are ridiculously expensive so I'm going to decline that. And they offered to check the valves.. to be honest that sounds like it could be worth it, to keep the engine running smoothly and smoke free. Would you agree?

you dont tell us much about your truck, but if it has hydraulic lifters, then the valves cant be "checked", also no valves need to be "checked" unless the engine is noisy and has tappet noise. bearings again only need to be changed if you have a problem with the existing ones.

its sounds like one of two things, the truck is in need of these things because they are damaged, or you are about to be ripped off. if your truck sounds like a tram as it starts off and slows down, you have a bearing problem, if you jack up the wheel and there is excessive play, you have a bearing problem, if not, you dont.

regualr maintainance is the key, and if you check the mileage against the service book, thats what NEEDS to be done

good luck

tommy

seconded

wheel bearings usually last 2-400k km, so why bother if nothing is wrong

check valves as in head, if it aint smoking excessively or noisy there is no leak

check valves in injection, yes if its 2008 or older and has been running bio B5, they are often leaking on izu, but should first be detected by diagnosis

Thanks!! It's a 3.0L Turbo, I think Direct Injection. (2001 Dragon Eyes model), like this one:

05920L161104721756IMG_0128.JPG

The valve check would be 600 baht. The discussion on valves was only over the phone though, they didn't see the vehicle yet. (though they looked it up by license plate in their computer system so they could/should know what model it is.)

Yes I have been using B5 for years, until it became unavailable recently. A couple months ago (so not on B5) I had some issues with the engine stuttering, the revs suddenly dropping with some smoke. After changing the oil and oil filter, fuel filter, and filling up a couple times at a reliable gas station that went away. Could have been a fill-up with bad fuel.

Anyway it's not an injection model, I think Isuzu only got those with the first minor change and engine update to the later D-Max model?

What things should typically be checked and changed at a major service? I'm planning on changing all liquids and oils (incl. differentials, gear box) brake liquid, power steering liquid.. anything else?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> fan belts

> timing chain

Would one of those make a screeching noise when driving away just after starting the engine with everything still cool? (Seems to have stopped now in the dry season and lower humidity)

Do you know how much these cost to change, roughly? Couple hundred baht?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> fan belts

> timing chain

Would one of those make a screeching noise when driving away just after starting the engine with everything still cool? (Seems to have stopped now in the dry season and lower humidity)

fan belts do

timing chain sounds like 100k baht disaster when blown

no idea on izu prices

Fit a new fan belt and check ''yourself'' that it has about 10/12mm movement on the longest stretch. If they over tighten it then bearings get shot. If your timing chain is knackered you will hear it, stand at the front of the motor, hood up, idling. It will rattle, get someone to touch the accelerator, usually the noise stops when under load but rattles again when at idle. Your hand book should state when or if a chain needs to be replaced.

If you can find it, run Shell V-Power Diesel, which will clean out the fuel system but it will not clean injector varnish.smile.png

also no valves need to be "checked" unless the engine is noisy

Must disagree with this. What if there is zero clearance? Not a good thing as the valve will not close completely and will end up with a burned valve face or valve seat. smile.png

> fan belts

> timing chain

Yes, a loose or dry belt would generate the noise you're describing.

I have a similar D-Max, but a 2003 AT. Having the same problem as you about a year ago with the squeaky sound, I replaced all 3 belts and that cured the problem. At the same time I did replace the front wheel bearings and two steering joints, had an oil and filter change plus flushed the cooling system. Unfortunately I don’t have the receipt handy, so I can’t tell you the price of the belts or the wheel bearings. However all in all it came close to 7K for that service.

When I started hearing that squeaky sound, it prompted me to look into the recommended mileage to replace the timing belt. From what I could find out, it seems to be at 150K, so right at where you are now. I’d suggest talking to the service rep at ISUZU and get their take on it.

About 2 months ago, at 125K, I replaced ALL the fluids and fitted a new air filter, cost 4700 Baht.

(I do all my service at the ISUZU dealership.)

Winnie,I would make an appointment with the dealer to do the general check up,than get the list and go to mechanic shop get his price and do all the minor things there...and if there is anything he can't do,go back to the dealer.

Changing all belts,fluids etc is not a big deal,even bearings,but if there is an internal engine noise/problem,I would leave it to the dealer.

For example...I went to the dealer with my Honda City to get estimate for CV joint rubber boot replacement and been quoted 1500 BHT and leave the car for 1/2 day....called the mechanic,300BHT(!) for the part and 1/2 hour work time...don't get me wrong,if the estimates could be closer,I'll rather have dealer to do the work...but not for 3X more!!

Must disagree with this. What if there is zero clearance? Not a good thing as the valve will not close completely and will end up with a burned valve face or valve seat. smile.png

Some rides do have zero clearance, my Pontiac for one. If a ride has hydraulic lifters from factory there is no clearance, the lifter does the job, thats why the engines are so quiet.

Some rides do have zero clearance, my Pontiac for one. If a ride has hydraulic lifters from factory there is no clearance, the lifter does the job, thats why the engines are so quiet.

All hydraulic lifters have zero clearance, I was reffering to mechanical lifters. Yes, I'm that old. biggrin.png

I’ve been real happy with Isuzu service. Once great thing about Isuzu service as opposed to most dealers it that they are pretty much all working on the same thing all the time, they always have or can get parts quickly, and they have service centers everywhere.

I have nothing against independent shops, and I would never go to a dealer in the US for service, but Isuzu (at least the one I use) has been real good to me, and once I find a good wrench I quit shopping.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

I would not spend any money at all on the by the manufacturer recommended service intervals,at the end what should he know about.

Just buy some of the cheapest oil you can find,think palm oil will be suitable for that,and just top up whenever the red light on the dashboard lights up.

Then,when you have a serious problem like a timebelt that broke or a valve seat that burned or maybe an automatic gearbox that breaks down,just come cry on the forum about how bad cars Isuzu makes.

I’ve been real happy with Isuzu service. Once great thing about Isuzu service as opposed to most dealers it that they are pretty much all working on the same thing all the time, they always have or can get parts quickly, and they have service centers everywhere.

I have nothing against independent shops, and I would never go to a dealer in the US for service, but Isuzu (at least the one I use) has been real good to me, and once I find a good wrench I quit shopping.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

I like your quote....going to the dealer I always expect them to be professional...if they charge more,that is also expected,but I don't like all this waiting and they do mistakes same as everybody else...ones they lift the truck putting the lift jack under the aluminum side steps...and they didn't even notice,that they bend it till I've told them giggle.gif

I would not spend any money at all on the by the manufacturer recommended service intervals,at the end what should he know about.

Just buy some of the cheapest oil you can find,think palm oil will be suitable for that,and just top up whenever the red light on the dashboard lights up.

Then,when you have a serious problem like a timebelt that broke or a valve seat that burned or maybe an automatic gearbox that breaks down,just come cry on the forum about how bad cars Isuzu makes.

cowboy.gif Sorry, me no understand. cowboy.gif

PS. Isuzu, no timing belt. spamsign.gifgiggle.gif

I'd love to buy a car that you have owned, not.

Think you missed the last 12 words of my post.

Think you missed the last 12 words of my post.

I'll leave it to Winnie to respond on this.

cowboy.gif Sorry, me no understand. cowboy.gif

PS. Isuzu, no timing belt. spamsign.gifgiggle.gif

You’re correct, don’t know where I got that information from about a year ago, when I looked into it. crazy.gif

Quick search and I found this:

Timing Gear & Chain

Unlike ordinary rubber-based timing belts that can snap unexpectedly, the D-Max timing gear and chain is made of durable hardened steel/alloy/metal for extended trouble-free driving. And the best part is its maintenance-free for life too!! Gone away the timing-belt replacement costs.

One thing less to worry about. biggrin.png

Major service.. start from the front;

check all bulbs and headlamp alignment

all indicators should show orange colour

bonnet secure?

all doors lock and unlock, open and close from in and out

suspension check, ( push down on all corners to see return)

inspect dashboard warning lights, hand brake travel, steering play, horn, indicators and hazards

test all seat belts

check fuel cap exists

open engine bay

replace all fluids, check belts for play and wear replace as needed

check book if timing chain or belt, check for belt replacement, check timing chain for wear and play, do not replace unless needed

battery load test

alternator test

check for leaks on PAS

ensure fan kicks in when reachs opt temp or with a.c on

check wiper blades, check screen for cracks

LISTEN|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your ears are the best analyser you own

half rise car on lift

check wheels, play, tread, leaks,

remove wheels check pads/shoes for wear

listen to exhaust!!!! ( test emissions if you can, do dollar bill test if needed, )

fully raise car

check for leaks

check for rust

check exhaust and cat

check steering and susp joints

lubricate as needed

lubricate all door hinges etc

this is from meory, I am sure someone will add a few extras :) but thats a service

bonnet secure?

inspect dashboard warning lights, hand brake travel, steering play, horn, indicators and hazards

test all seat belts

check fuel cap exists

open engine bay

check book if timing chain or belt, check for belt replacement, check timing chain for wear and play, do not replace unless needed

battery load test

alternator test

check for leaks on PAS

LISTEN|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

half rise car on lift

listen to exhaust!!!! ( test emissions if you can, do dollar bill test if needed, )

fully raise car

check for leaks

check for rust

check exhaust and cat

lubricate as needed

this is from meory, I am sure someone will add a few extras smile.png but thats a service

Not in LOS. laugh.png

bonnet secure?

test all seat belts

check fuel cap exists

open engine bay

battery load test

alternator test

check for leaks on PAS

LISTEN|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

half rise car on lift

fully raise car

check for leaks

check for rust

check exhaust and cat

lubricate as needed

this is from meory, I am sure someone will add a few extras smile.png but thats a service

Not in LOS. laugh.png

you are so right there :) I usually do my own after I get the "free" ford service

bonnet secure?

test all seat belts

check fuel cap exists

open engine bay

battery load test

alternator test

check for leaks on PAS

LISTEN|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

half rise car on lift

fully raise car

check for leaks

check for rust

check exhaust and cat

lubricate as needed

If still in doubt.. buy a new car.

bonnet secure?

test all seat belts

check fuel cap exists

open engine bay

battery load test

alternator test

check for leaks on PAS

LISTEN|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

half rise car on lift

fully raise car

check for leaks

check for rust

check exhaust and cat

lubricate as needed

If still in doubt.. buy a new car.

i am still amazed that most dealer dont have headlamp aligners, which is stupid and the local ford store has a 4 wheel alignment bay, covered in spare parts and unuseable. they have every opportunity to do the job right and most simply dont