Electricity And Water

jonik

My gf rents a small condo for approx 3000 bth ,not so bad condition i think. She complaines about the electrisity and water is getting expencive so she pays a few hundred bats a month.

But who recives the money? Landlord , or the local electrisity company.

And what about the water? I read in another post that the landlord himself can set the price for water and power.

:o

Edited by penzman

There is a basic cost for electric and water per unit that must be paid monthly. The apartment will normally set a higher price and take care of paying that bill (which in the case of electric the unit cost varies monthly), so the payment to landlord will be high enough to cover the spread. Normally well over 10% I would say as I see posting of 5 baht per unit for electric when the cost is closer to 3 baht for small user. This is all a part of your rental and should be discussed at that time.

It would be expensive to connect a separate elec supply to each condo.

The cheap way is to have one supply connected and then a separate meter for each condo.

That way the landlord gets one big bill for the whole building and can charge what he likes to each leasee.

"The cheap way is to have one supply connected and then a separate meter for each condo."

And the meter is attached to a switch which allows the condo management to turn the electrical supply on and off - we're not talking about cracking the atom, fellas. If you buy a condo, as another poster mentioned, you'll get an actual bill from EGAT. Too, the condo buyer needs to pay EGAT a deposit for the electric meter.

If you rent, the landlord can charge whatever (s)he wants for electricity and water.

I own my condo and pay directly to electricity company but many of my friends renting have gotten som big surprises when they got hooked on a "great" rental deal, only later to find out that the real price of electricity of around 3 Baht has been bumped to 5-6-7-8 Baht per unit.

Water I have seen 1 person being charged "flat-fee" of B 500-700/month while I have a hard time getting my bill above 150 Baht.

So beware when looking for rental deals - can easily be 3-4000 Baht EXTRA compared to paying directly to suppliers for a 2 bed room.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
Well if you own a house what then...................

We own a house out in the country and the water and electricty companies send a man around on his motorbike around the end of the month and we pay cash. Alternatively I think we can pay at the post office.

That said we had a power outage yesterday for about 8 hours and the water went out at the same time.

Half an hour ago the power went out again and the water still hasn't come back.

I have about a week or so supply of stored water and I am using my laptop abd GPRS for the post.

The water goes out regularly but the electricity is OK 98% of the time.

A curse on the water company. :o