A 'Heads-Up' For Australians With Thai Wives

We recently got a bit of a surprise which I might share with others. As my wife was granted PR almost 5 years ago I did some research about what we need to do later this year. When she originally got 'the letter' we went in to get the sticker in her passport and talked to the official in Brisbane. The wife asked about requirements for citizenship and we talked about that. At that point in time, and based on all that we had read and were told, we both understood that:

* that we had made it over the last hurdle and that there were no ongoing requirements for maintaining the PR status

* that there were requirements (in terms of spending particular periods of time in Australia) should my wife wish to pursue citizenship, and

* the only practical benefit of gaining citizenship would be if my wife wished to vote

Now recently I searched through DIAC's web site (the relevant dept) to find out what we needed to do to renew the PR after the first 5 years elapsed. I had trouble finding anything about this. If you searched on spouse visa or permanent residency, all the relevant pages just spoke about just getting to that point (and not what happens afterwards). Eventually however I stumbled across the term "resident return visa" and searched on that. Bombshell time.

It turns out that your wife must have spent at least 2 years in Australia since being granted PR status, and you need to submit a form and pay about AUD300.

I assume that this is AUD300 every 5 years for the rest of her life or until she becomes a citizen (?), and that she must continue to satisfy the 2 out of 5 years minimum requirement (?). Can anyone confirm that?

Can anyone also advise me what happens, on the appointed day (when 5 years is up), when/if your wife has not spent the required time in Australia and:

1. Is in Australia at the time?

2. Is overseas at the time?

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Mate I'm a PR of oz (British Citizen) and have lived in oz since I was about 6.

There are time limits re being a PR but that is only if you are spending a long time out of the country. I don't know the precise time frames but to give an anecdote.....

I lived in New Zealand from 2000 to 2005. During that time my PR expired and I had to apply for a new one. Of course there was a cost. But vaguely I recall that you should not spend more than 2 years overseas in one go. Other than that you are fine.

It is no problem that your PR will expire unless you want to leave oz for a holiday etc. That is the only time you need to renew it. Once it is granted, and you are not doing international travel, then you don't need to renew it at all.

However, if you are travelling overseas then you do need it for a re entry. I get the longest dated passport and simply have my PR renewed at the same time as my passport so I don't have to double up on everything and remember 2 dates of expiry.

Specifically to answer your question....

1. If in oz at the time I wouldn't worry about renewing it until you want to actually leave the country.

2. If OS you will need the PR valid to get back in. That is a pain so just make sure you have the valid PR before leaving oz.

Edited by Wallaby

The two years in Australia during the last 5 years is incorrect.The Migration Regulations state what need to be satisfied for a RRV to be renewed. Correct – it is possible to lose PR.We recently obtained a RRV for an Australian permanent resident who has been in Thailand for 5 years consecutive.

The two years in Australia during the last 5 years is incorrect.The Migration Regulations state what need to be satisfied for a RRV to be renewed. Correct – it is possible to lose PR.We recently obtained a RRV for an Australian permanent resident who has been in Thailand for 5 years consecutive.

I am a PR and have let my RRV lapse a number of times. In my experience the PR doesn't need to be renewed unless you wish to leave the country. I had about 15 years where I didn't travel overseas, my passport had long expired, along with my RRV. That doesn't mean I have lost my PR. I can still stay and work in oz. It is only when I wanted to travel overseas that I need to apply for a RRV. I just sent my passport in with the application and it was done.

Also from first hand experience immigration questioned me about the 2 years out of 5 issue when I lived in NZ for 5 years. This is the reason my PR and RRV had to be re applied for, simply because of the 2 years out of 5.

It is one of the reasons I am now going for citizenship because immigration have informed me that if I spend more than 2 consecutive years in a 5 year period overseas then I lose my PR. That was in 2005 so from actual experience, in my view the OP is correct.

Other than when I lived in NZ for that time frame I have never been asked to renew a PR, and the only reason my PR did have to renewed was because I was out of the country for longer than 2 years out of 5 years.

Edited by Wallaby

I am a PR and have let my RRV lapse a number of times. In my experience the PR doesn't expire, only the RRV expires. I had about 20 years where I didn't travel overseas, my passport had long expired, along with my RRV. That doesn't mean I have lost my PR. I can still stay and work in oz. It is only when I wanted to travel overseas that I need to apply for a RRV. I just sent my passport in with the application and it was done.

I can assure you if the RRV visa runs out whilst you are overseas it is a completely different story, there are a lot more things you have to send in to get your RRV, like birth certficate and the document indicating when I first arrived in oz. But when I applied for an RRV whilst in oz it was a very simple process.

They have never asked me to renew my PR. I only did that the one time when I got my first passport, I've never done it since.

I think that is what Thai Visa Express meant. You can stay in Australian on PR and it never expires. However, if you are overseas and your RRV expires you need to meet the requirements to renew it. If you dont Good-Bye PR. So yes technically you can lose your PR and many have.

I am a PR and have let my RRV lapse a number of times. In my experience the PR doesn't expire, only the RRV expires. I had about 20 years where I didn't travel overseas, my passport had long expired, along with my RRV. That doesn't mean I have lost my PR. I can still stay and work in oz. It is only when I wanted to travel overseas that I need to apply for a RRV. I just sent my passport in with the application and it was done.

I can assure you if the RRV visa runs out whilst you are overseas it is a completely different story, there are a lot more things you have to send in to get your RRV, like birth certficate and the document indicating when I first arrived in oz. But when I applied for an RRV whilst in oz it was a very simple process.

They have never asked me to renew my PR. I only did that the one time when I got my first passport, I've never done it since.

I think that is what Thai Visa Express meant. You can stay in Australian on PR and it never expires. However, if you are overseas and your RRV expires you need to meet the requirements to renew it. If you dont Good-Bye PR. So yes technically you can lose your PR and many have.

Yes you said in 5 seconds what I said in 2 minutes. My bad. coffee1.gif

But also, if you are overseas for 2 years out of 5 you have to re apply for PR to get an RRV. That is what happened to me.

chaingmaibruce and Wallaby, the "two of the last 5 years in Australia" for the RRV eligibility is only one of the criterion.

If you don't meet that, you have to provide substantial and compelling reasons on why you haven't.

Like you said wallaby, there is no point in renewing your RRV if you're not intending to travel but sometimes

you might have to travel or an emergency so it's always good to have.

Also, there are several benefits in obtaining Australian citizenship. Some of these are:

no ongoing visa applications and fees

obtaining help from an Australian Embassy overseas &

not having your PR visa cancelled and being deported (you can have your citizenship revoked but it's not common).

Regards

Will

chaingmaibruce and Wallaby, the "two of the last 5 years in Australia" for the RRV eligibility is only one of the criterion.

If you don't meet that, you have to provide substantial and compelling reasons on why you haven't.

Like you said wallaby, there is no point in renewing your RRV if you're not intending to travel but sometimes

you might have to travel or an emergency so it's always good to have.

Also, there are several benefits in obtaining Australian citizenship. Some of these are:

no ongoing visa applications and fees

obtaining help from an Australian Embassy overseas &

not having your PR visa cancelled and being deported (you can have your citizenship revoked but it's not common).

Regards

Will

You have to do something pretty bad to have a PR revoked. From memory if you do 2 years actual jail time it can be revoked and you can be deported so it does take something serious. No I'm not intending to go to jail. :)

I can obtain help from the British and if I end up being kidnapped and taken to Guantanamo because I had a beer with a bearded fellow in a funny hat then I would prefer the British as they got all their citizens back whilst the aussies were left to rot.

I have held the British citizenship because it is much easier to work in the UK (a popular thing to do for us down this end of the world) without the hassle of work visas.

However, as I'm now a bit long in the tooth (48) I've doubt I'll be working in the UK in a hurry so I'm going to become an oz citizen. One of the reasons is that I can live in Asia when I retire for as long as I like without having the RRV to worry about.

Still had to do the english test though, would have thought simply by discussing it with them in the interview it was obvious I could speak and write English but as you would know, must stick to the rules and procedure instead of common sense.

quote:You have to do something pretty bad to have a PR revoked. From memory if you do 2 years actual jail time it can be revoked and you

can be deported so it does take something serious. No I'm not intending to go to jail. smile.png

In fact you you can have your visa cancelled for a lot less than that.

You can have it cancelled for serving no jail time at all although that's pretty rare.

I think it's if you're sentenced to 12 months in prison it can be cancelled under

"character" grounds and you can removed from Australia. That's sentenced so it does not just mean imprisonment.

Granted, Australian citizenship doesn't give you much as you have British.

It's a lot more beneficial for others who don't have US or UK citizenship though.

Regards

Will

Guess my missus has lost her PR then......not been back for a long time and no intention to live, so not required I guess.....however, anyone in the know, know how it is effected when you have Australian kids ? ...while overseas and PR has lapsed ?

Wallaby,

Taking out Australian citizenship would not mean losing your British citizenship as the UK allows dual nationality. Unless Australia doesn't?

Australia as I understand it does allow duel citizenship.

Yes certainly does but I wasn't keen on going through the ceremony and paying for 2 passports etc. Doing it now anyway. :)

Guess my missus has lost her PR then......not been back for a long time and no intention to live, so not required I guess.....however, anyone in the know, know how it is effected when you have Australian kids ? ...while overseas and PR has lapsed ?

If overseas, you have to provide evidence of substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia.

If you have been away for more than 5 years continuously, you must also provide compelling reasons for your absence.

So this can be subjective with family, real estate etc and it would be advisable in my opinion to go through an agent.

But seeing as you've indicated PR isn't required, I guess it's a moot point.

Regards

Will

Contact Thai Visa Express...... Having family ties is one of the reasons you can renew your RRV.

We deal with resident return visas all the time we recently got a RRV renewed for a Thai wife who had lived outside Australia for 5 years. The success is dependant upon meeting the relevant criteria any application is judged on its own merits according to the Australian migration regulations.

Please contact our office to see if we can help.

My wife has had Australian PR since 1995. When her initial 5 year RRV expired, we were no longer living in Australia. My wife is now on her third 5 year RRV issued outside of Australia (all issued by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok). As she hasn't met the "2 of the last 5 years in Australia" requirement on any of the three occasions, we have had to demonstrate that she (i) has ongoing ties to Australia (bank account, occasional visits, Australian husband and Australian kids), (ii) that there are reasonable grounds for her extended absence from Australia (my employment) and (iii) that we intend to return to reside in Australia at some point in the future (which we do).

My wife has had Australian PR since 1995. When her initial 5 year RRV expired, we were no longer living in Australia. My wife is now on her third 5 year RRV issued outside of Australia (all issued by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok). As she hasn't met the "2 of the last 5 years in Australia" requirement on any of the three occasions, we have had to demonstrate that she (i) has ongoing ties to Australia (bank account, occasional visits, Australian husband and Australian kids), (ii) that there are reasonable grounds for her extended absence from Australia (my employment) and (iii) that we intend to return to reside in Australia at some point in the future (which we do).

How much did this all cost ??

What is the benefit of maintaining PR or getting it again over just applying in say 5 years or however to go back there to live ??

quote:You have to do something pretty bad to have a PR revoked. From memory if you do 2 years actual jail time it can be revoked and you

can be deported so it does take something serious. No I'm not intending to go to jail. smile.png

You can have it cancelled for serving no jail time at all although that's pretty rare.

I think it's if you're sentenced to 12 months in prison it can be cancelled under

"character" grounds and you can removed from Australia. That's sentenced so it does not just mean imprisonment.

It's a lot more beneficial for others who don't have US or UK citizenship though.

Regards

Will

12 months as a sentenced prisoner may result in deportation, you dont get imprisoned unless you are convicted and sentenced unless the sentence is suspended....remand doesnt count.

PR can be cancelled for many reasons not always to do with jail time

My situation is exactly the same, a RRV has been issued to my wife 4 times now, 3 of them in Bangkok. Showing ties is as you say Australian children,real estate, bank accounts, Aust drivers licence. You can do it all yourself, follow the form on the internet. gather the evidence, submit in Bangkok, they mail it back to you once complete. You need to keep good records and have copies of all the old visas etc.

My advice - get her Australian citizenship asap.

My Thai wife now has Canadian citizenship and it sure makes travelling almost anywhere simpler.

The more countries you can be a citizen of the better. I have 3. No need to keep passports current in all of them.

My Thai wife now has Canadian citizenship and it sure makes travelling almost anywhere simpler.

The more countries you can be a citizen of the better. I have 3. No need to keep passports current in all of them.

But if ur an Oz citizen, you must enter oz on an oz passport legally. As such, u would need to refresh ur passport when it expires

Regards

Will

12 months as a sentenced prisoner may result in deportation, you dont get imprisoned unless you are convicted and sentenced unless the sentence is suspended....remand doesnt count.

PR can be cancelled for many reasons not always to do with jail time

It wasn't too long ago that stealing a loaf of bread got you free entry for a long long time without the need for a visa.

But if ur an Oz citizen, you must enter oz on an oz passport legally. As such, u would need to refresh ur passport when it expires

I don't think so. I'm sure an oz citizen doesn't have to travel on an oz passport, they can travel on any passport they like. Just as long as they use the same passport when re entering oz.

Passports used does not have relevence on whether you are a citizen or not.

I don't think so. I'm sure an oz citizen doesn't have to travel on an oz passport, they can travel on any passport they like. Just as long as they use the same passport when re entering oz.

Passports used does not have relevence on whether you are a citizen or not.

The Migration Act, the legislation under which visas are issued, applies only to non-citizens of Australia. Therefore there is no legislative base to issue visas to citizens.

In other words, Australian citizens cannot obtain a visa to Australia because they have a right to enter their own country at any time without restriction. If an Embassy is aware a visa applicant is a citizen they will not issue a visa! Some people may incorrectly obtain a visa by presenting a foreign passport and not disclosing their status as a citizen. This visa would be expunged from the data base if Immigration subsequently became aware of the situation.

All citizens should obtain an Australian passport for travel into Australia to avoid a situation where they suddenly find themselves unable to travel.

Re Perm/Partner Residency (BS801) & RRV. I have enclosed 7 pages for you to browse. This is what we just got back from DIAC. It will answer all your questions I hope. Please read it all for your info.

Australian Government

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

07/12/2011

Ms

In reply please quote:

Client Name:

Date of Birth:

Client ID:

Application ID:

File Number:

Dear Ms

Notification of grant of a Partner (Residence)
(US
801) visa. Multiple re-entries to Australia on this visa permitted until
December 2016.

This letter refers to your application for a Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa, which was lodged on 09 December 2010. You have indicated on your application that you wish to be considered for the grant of a Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa.

I am pleased to inform you that your visa application has been approved and your visa was granted on 07 December 2011.

About your visa

You have been granted a Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa. This visa allows you to remain indefinitely in Australia, and to leave and re-enter Australia for a period of five (5) years from the date of grant. Following this period, you may choose to apply for Australian Citizenship or a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Please read the enclosed Important Information for more details.

As you have now been granted a permanent visa, you may wish to consider withdrawing any other undecided visa applications that you have lodged with this department. If you are granted another substantive visa (other than a special purpose visa), even if it is a temporary visa, your Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa will cease. A substantive visa is a visa other than a bridging visa, a criminal justice visa or an enforcement visa. To withdraw these other visa applications, you must advise the department in writing.

Checking your visa details

You can access information about your visa at any time using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. VEVO is a free internet service that allows you to view your visa details online. Employers, banks and government sendees can check details about your visa conditions on VEVO once they have your consent to do so. Go to www.irnmi.gov.au/e_visa/vevo.htm and select the 'VEVO for visa holders' link to access your visa information using VEVO. If you do not have a VEVO password or need your password reset call 13 1881 in Australia.

Visa Entitlements

As a holder of a Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa:

• you are permitted to remain permanently in Australia
  • you are entitled to travel to and enter Australia for a period of five (5) years from the date the visa
    is granted

•>
you are entitled to work and study hi Australia
  • you may enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme
  • you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments (as you are exempt from the two (2)
    year Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period)

Additional information regarding your visa entitlements is outlined in the enclosed document titled "Important Information".

Passport

The visa is linked to the passport number that you provided in your application. If you obtain a new passport after receiving this letter, you should advise the department of the new passport details. If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport, you may experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board planes to and from Australia.

Changes to
your circumstances

It is important that you tell us about any changes to your circumstances including your name, passport, contact details, address or family members as soon as possible. You are required to do this in writing. To make it easy to advise us of your changes in circumstance, we have a number of forms which are available on our website or at any of our offices.

Please make sure that you include your name, date of birth and Application ID when you write to the department.

Client service information

More information about your rights and obligations, including our Client Service Charter and how to make a compliment, complaint or suggestion, is included in the enclosed document titled "Client Service Information".

Contacting the department

You can contact us with a general enquiry in a number of ways including by email, through our website, by telephone through our Contact Centres or offices around the world, or in person. In Australia you can call 13 1881 between 9 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday. Details on contacting our offices outside Australia are available on our website at www.immi.gov.au.

Yours sincerely

Madhu Dhingra

Position No: 1108

Case Officer

Second Stage Partner Processing Centre

Sydney City Office

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Telephone: Email:

Attachment(s)

Client
Service
Information

Important Information

CLIENT SERVICE INFORMATION

The following provides information about your rights and obligations, including our Client Service Charter and how to make a compliment, complaint or suggestion.

Your information - your privacy

The department respects your privacy. We are collecting your personal information for the purposes of making decisions under the Migration Act 1958 and the Migration Regulations 1994. We are aware that the way information about you is used and managed can affect your life. We recognise it is important that the information we hold about you is up-to-date and relevant.

Australia's Privacy Act 1988 stops us from giving your information to others unless specific exceptions apply for example, if you agree to it, or where we are authorised or required by law to disclose it. You also need to be aware that we may disclose your personal information to other Commonwealth (and in some circumstances, state and territory) government agencies where there is a lawful basis for doing so.

There are separate laws relating to your personal identifiers. These laws set out the circumstances in which we can collect personal identifiers and who we can disclose them to. In most cases, the personal identifiers will be your photograph and signature. In some cases, however, we may require other personal identifiers, such as your fingerprints.

For more detailed information, you should read Form 993i Safeguarding your personal information and Form 1243i Your personal identifying information, available on our website or from any of our offices.

Client Service Charter

Our Client Service Charter explains our service commitment to you. We are committed to service delivery that is timely, open and accountable, and responsive to your needs. The Charter explains how you can help us and how you can provide feedback or make a complaint. You can read our Client Service Charter on our website, or in a printed copy available from any of our offices.

Service satisfaction

The department remains committed to ensuring that all clients, both in Australia and overseas, receive not only fair and reasonable treatment, but also an efficient standard of service that is sensitive to each client's needs.

To provide a compliment, complaint or suggestion you can:

• telephone the Global Feedback Unit on 13 31 77 during business hours
    complete a feedback form online at www.immi.gov.au
  • write to the Manager, Global Feedback Unit, Reply Paid 241, Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia
  • contact us directly through any of our offices.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Notification of grant of a Partner (Residence) (BS 801) visa

All forms are available on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au/allforms/

If you are currently outside Australia

Having been granted visas to enter Australia, you must make your own travel arrangements and pay your own airfares. However, you may be eligible for a special reduced one-way economy fare, as well as a more generous baggage allowance.

These concessions, which may be available to prospective migrants through the International Organization for Migration (IOM), are the result of negotiations with a large number of international carriers on designated routes.

To receive more information on IOM concessional fares, baggage allowance and eligibility criteria, please contact IOM by email at [email protected] or visit their website at www.iom.int/jahia/jsp/index.jsp

Medical Care

The Australian Government provides help with medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare. The government also subsidises the cost of most medicine under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

You may be eligible to join Medicare and gain immediate access to health care services and programs. These include free public hospital care, help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidised medicines.

Medicare has an Information Kit which is translated into 18 different languages. It explains Medicare and other government health services and the eligibility requirements for benefits and payments. Remember to ask for it when you visit your local Medicare office or Migrant Resource Centre.

To enrol in Medicare, you should go to a Medicare office with your passport, travel documents and permanent visa. If all registration requirements are met, you will be advised of your Medicare card number and your card will be posted to you soon after. In most cases you will pay for medical care then receive a refund for some of the payment.

If you need to see a doctor urgently, you can register with Medicare and ask for an interim number.

Contact details for Medicare are listed in the White pages telephone directory or through their website at www.medicareaustralia.gov.au

In addition to Medicare there are also many different private health insurance funds that offer options that cover services not covered by Medicare, for example dental care, optical care and ambulance. Information about private health insurance is available from the Department of Health and Ageing website at www.health.gov.au

Emergency treatment
is available on a 24 hour basis at the 'Casualty' or 'Emergency' departments of public hospitals.

Social security payments

Help with job seeking, social security payments and other assistance is provided through the government agency called Centrelink. Newly arrived residents can register with Centrelink to get help with looking for work, having overseas skills recognised, and accessing relevant courses.

Centrelink also has Tax File Number application forms and can assist you to lodge your application with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), so that access to any payments is not delayed. If you have children, you may be eligible for government-funded Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of raising them.

Contact details for Centrelink are listed in the White pages telephone directory or through their website at www.centrelink.gov.au

Tax File Number

To receive an income in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN). Income includes wages or salary from a job, payments from the government, and money earned from investments including interest on savings accounts.

To apply for a TFN you can either telephone or visit an Australian Taxation Office (ATO) shop front who can provide you with an application form. Contact details for the ATO are listed in the White pages telephone directory or are available on their website at www.ato.gov.au. Forms are also available from Centrelink shop fronts which are listed in the White pages telephone directory. Alternatively, you can apply for a TFN on the ATO website.

Checking your visa details

You can access information about your visa at any time using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. VEVO is a free internet service that allows you to view your visa details online. Employers, banks and government services can check details about your visa conditions on VEVO once they have your consent to do so. Go to www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/vevo.htm and select the 'VEVO for visa holders' link to access your visa information using VEVO. If you do not have a VEVO password or need your password reset call 13 18 81 in Australia.

For more information visit www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/vevo.htm

English language tuition

Following arrival in Australia, visa holders who need to develop English language skills may be eligible for English language tuition under the Adult Migrant English Programme (AMEP).

For more information about eligibility, registering for English classes and locations of AMEP service providers, you may phone the department's enquiry line on 13 18 81 between 9 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday, or visit the AMEP website at www.immi.gov.au/amep. You should retain receipts for all payments made in association with your visa application. These receipts may be required as evidence of payment before enrolling in the AMEP.

Migrant Resource Centres and Migrant Service Agencies

Migrant Resource Centres and Migrant Service Agencies provide information and assistance to help you settle in Australia. They are especially useful if you are from a non-English speaking country. They can provide you with support and help you to access a range of useful services.

The local Migrant Resource Centre provides various courses, including conversation classes, to assist new settlers. Free childcare facilities may be provided for parents doing these courses.

Your local Migrant Resource Centre may be located through the Whitepages telephone directory.

Resident return visas

If you want to travel, or remain outside of Australia for a period of time after 07 December 2016, and have not become an Australian citizen, you must hold a current Resident Return Visa (RRV). This visa will allow you to maintain your status as an Australian permanent resident on your return to Australia. It is your responsibility to obtain an RRV if required.

An RRV allows a permanent resident of Australia to travel from, and return to Australia as often as they wish within the validity of the visa whilst maintaining their status as a permanent resident. Eligibility for an RRV is generally based on the amount of time spent in Australia as a permanent resident, although there are some concessions for people who cannot meet the residential requirements.

If you leave Australia without an RRV, or it expires while you are overseas and you are not eligible for another RRV, you may lose the right to return to Australia as a permanent resident. You can apply for an RRV by mail or in person at any office of the department. It is also possible to apply online on our website at www.immi.gov.au

Australian citizenship

The Australian Government strongly encourages eligible permanent residents to apply for Australian citizenship.

Australian citizenship is the final step for many in their migration journey. Becoming an Australian citizen represents your commitment to Australia and its people, values and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship. Australian citizenship enables you to fully participate in the democratic process of government including the ability to vote and stand for parliament.

Generally, the requirements for Australian citizenship include living in Australia for a specified period of time and being of good character and have passed a citizenship test if aged between 18 and 60 (unless otherwise exempt). A person is usually eligible for Australian citizenship if they have resided lawfully in Australia for four (4) years immediately before applying, including:
  • at least 12 months as a permanent resident
  • no absences from Australia of more than 12 months
  • no absences from Australia of more than 90 calendar days during the 12 months

For more information you, may phone the Citizenship Information Line on 13 18 80 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. You may also visit the Citizenship website at www.citizenship.gov.au

Settling in Australia

The 'Citizenship and Living in Australia' webpages, found on our website at www.immi.gov.au, provide detailed information about living in Australia. These pages include links to the Beginning a Life in Australia booklets. The booklets provide detailed information about services for migrants and how to access those services. There is a booklet for each state and territory available in English and a number of community languages. The booklets can be downloaded from our website at

Further information about life in Australia such as social security, health care and English language classes can be found in
Form 994i Settlement information for migrants to Australia,
available on our website at www.immi.gov.au

To ensure that we can continue to improve our services for migrants, you are encouraged to complete and return
Form 886 Settlement detail,
available on our website at