Penang Reject Tourist Visa Becouse Red Stamp

i'm currently staying in hotel in penang i was rejected a tourist visa due to red stamp in my passport that says i have to many tourist visas already.If i go to KL is there a chance i will get single entry tourist visa over there??does anybody have any experience from there?did anybody went there with the same stamp in passport?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself I cannot see KL issuing you a visa. In fact you might even find yourself in a deeper mess if you keep trying different Consulate offices and they catch on. Thai Immigration puts these red stamps in peoples passports for a reason.

I'm sure one of the Mod's will be in here soon with better info.

Go home. Get a new passport. Come back.

Even if KL do give you one which I'd guess at best would be a 50/50 chance, it's the beginning of the end of your ability to get a visa without going to your home country.

Or, depending on your circumstances, get yourself a proper long term visa even if it means signing up for a language course and getting an ed.

• Like 1

Go home. Get a new passport. Come back.

Even if KL do give you one which I'd guess at best would be a 50/50 chance, it's the beginning of the end of your ability to get a visa without going to your home country.

Or, depending on your circumstances, get yourself a proper long term visa even if it means signing up for a language course and getting an ed.

I'm sure I saw a post a couple of weeks back where someone had been refused so they went to KL and got one no problem. Panang has changed from being the best place to get a visa to the worst. Check the latest news on getting a visa in the region thread as that is top notch.

I'm sure I saw a post a couple of weeks back where someone had been refused so they went to KL and got one no problem. Panang has changed from being the best place to get a visa to the worst. Check the latest news on getting a visa in the region thread as that is top notch.

Penang has not been friendly considering back to back tourist visas since 2007.

KL or Kota bahru might give you a single entry.

Penang has not been friendly considering back to back tourist visas since 2007.

KL or Kota bahru might give you a single entry.

Wow 2007. I remember but didn't think it was as long ago as that. Over the last year 18 months a dozen people or so have just gone to KL for a tourist visa and had no problem and couple at least had the red stamp. That being said, as I remember all of them could only get single entry.

"Thai Immigration puts these red stamps in peoples passports for a reason".

Isn't it the consulates, and not immigration, who give you the red stamps?

It is indeed the consulates. Bagnet did not say which consulate gave him the red warning stamp; I suspect it was Vientiane.

What is the definition of too many tourist visas? Is it the fact that they are issued back to back constantly that causes the problem?

I guess that's up to the officer at the consulate to determine. If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday the might give you the red stamp, and rightly so. There are other visa options available. (emoticons not working)

What is the definition of too many tourist visas? Is it the fact that they are issued back to back constantly that causes the problem?

I guess that's up to the officer at the consulate to determine. If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday the might give you the red stamp, and rightly so. There are other visa options available. (emoticons not working)

Thanks for that, I could see why they would get fed up with people trying to circumvent the system. I was in Penang last year ( on holiday ) and the 60 day visa seemed to be critical to the local economy, every other person I spoke to was in town to get one.

I guess that's up to the officer at the consulate to determine. If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday the might give you the red stamp, and rightly so."

I can't say I agree with that sentiment. 'If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday"? Far too much power to give to an individual in a foreign country who has absolutely no way of "guessing" why you've been in Thailand for x months or years. Rightly so, as you say, the Thai authorities should red stamp or even PI anyone staying illegally (whether working or undertaking any other illegal activities) but that should be up to the authorities *in Thailand* to catch and punish - not some individual in a foreign consulate who got out the wrong side of the bed that morning.

There are other visa options available. (emoticons not working)

That's the point. There really aren't.

15 day border runs

single entry tourist visas

multiple entry tourist visas

business visas (which somebody who just wants to come and stay here for a few years would have to lie, to get)

ed visas (with or without lying about actually studying anything)

marriage visa

retirement visa

Did I miss any? Because none of the above are guaranteed to be renewable, and certainly not hassle free.

Imho there's one visa missing from Thailand's many options - a residence visa. Comes with a "registered alien" card that can be used for ID, opening bank accounts, etc. No border runs, come and go as you please, no "reporting", guaranteed renewable annually *provided* no illegal activity (working, whatever). I'd be first in the queue for one of those even if it was $1000 a year (that's roughly what I pay for my Tanzanian residence permit).

I'm not railing on Thailand's immigration policies they're certainly not alone in the world having complicated immigration laws. I just wish they'd open their eyes to the fact that (probably the majority of) people who would like to stay here long term aren't criminals - and it certainly shouldn't be up to the mood of a consular officer in Timbuktoo to decide whether they're here for nefarious purposes.

• Like 2

business visas (which somebody who just wants to come and stay here for a few years would have to lie, to get)

marriage visa

retirement visa

All of these are certainly guaranteed to be renewable.

" Far too much power to give to an individual in a foreign country who has absolutely no way of "guessing" why you've been in Thailand for x months or years." Yes, maybe so, but this is the way it works in Thailand. It might not be how we farangs want it to be, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I guess that's up to the officer at the consulate to determine. If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday the might give you the red stamp, and rightly so."

I can't say I agree with that sentiment. 'If he/she thinks that you are no longer on holiday"? Far too much power to give to an individual in a foreign country who has absolutely no way of "guessing" why you've been in Thailand for x months or years. Rightly so, as you say, the Thai authorities should red stamp or even PI anyone staying illegally (whether working or undertaking any other illegal activities) but that should be up to the authorities *in Thailand* to catch and punish - not some individual in a foreign consulate who got out the wrong side of the bed that morning.

15 day border runs

marriage visa

retirement visa

Did I miss any? Because none of the above are guaranteed to be renewable, and certainly not hassle free.

Imho there's one visa missing from Thailand's many options - a residence visa. Comes with a "registered alien" card that can be used for ID, opening bank accounts, etc. No border runs, come and go as you please, no "reporting", guaranteed renewable annually *provided* no illegal activity (working, whatever). I'd be first in the queue for one of those even if it was $1000 a year (that's roughly what I pay for my Tanzanian residence permit).

I'm not railing on Thailand's immigration policies they're certainly not alone in the world having complicated immigration laws. I just wish they'd open their eyes to the fact that (probably the majority of) people who would like to stay here long term aren't criminals - and it certainly shouldn't be up to the mood of a consular officer in Timbuktoo to decide whether they're here for nefarious purposes.

Thai tourist visas from Timbuktoo ?

15 day border runs

marriage visa

retirement visa

Why would you need to continually re-apply for tourist visas if you had a legitimate reason to be in Thailand?

• Like 1

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

"All of these are certainly guaranteed to be renewable."

By who, you?

I can't think of anyone who could guarantee that 'certainly'.

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

1. If you have a WP

2. If you attend a school

3. If you are married and have the requested income

4. If you are 50 or older and have the requested income

Can't see what your concerns are?

Why would you need to continually re-apply for tourist visas if you had a legitimate reason to be in Thailand?

I'm not sure if that was a general question or aimed at me, but since you quoted me...

I wouldn't. I'd get a residence permit. Except there isn't one.

I'm not sure what you consider a legitimate reason. I can think of many (that don't fall into the categories education, business, retirement or marriage).

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

"All of these are certainly guaranteed to be renewable."

By who, you?

I can't think of anyone who could guarantee that 'certainly'.

Of course nobody can guarantee anything 100%.

1. You could get fired/company close down.

2. The school could close down.

3. The wife could die or a divorce.

4. The Baht could skyrocket against you'r currency.

5. Thailand could be involved in a war and cancel all visas.

The thing is many of us have to provide tons of stuff to get our loved ones back to our homelands even for a holiday, and it gets up some peoples goat that people stay here on tourist visas for an indefinte period. If our loved ones abused the system by continuously getting Visas to go to our countries am sure people would complain and get annoyed. That is why you see a backlash here.

Unfortunately having allowed people to abuse the tourist visa system for too long, it is a shock when individuals discover that they are actually enforcing immigration policy.

Maybe they see people that don't travel back to thier home country often enough, as dodgy.. criminals on the run, tax dodgers, or someone who simply can't afford the flight etc.. This obvioulsy is not always the case but who knows what goes on in the authorities heads..

The income limits on Retirement and family visa's are there for a reason.. They are saying "We only want you if you have lots of money to spend".

The 15 day border run rule was brought in as a direct attack against the Back packers I seem to recall, who used to use back to back visa runs to extend thier stay indefinately.

The OP is in a difficult situation, if he is British then getting a new passport could take up to a month.

However, if he is British he does not need to send his original passport to Hong Kong as a copy will do... He can then give a Thai address for delivery and re-enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp to await his new passport, at which stage he makes another attempt to obtain a tourist Visa or gain an education visa.

Good Luck, I would hate to be in your situation - Thats why I am married..

The thing is many of us have to provide tons of stuff to get our loved ones back to our homelands even for a holiday, and it gets up some peoples goat that people stay here on tourist visas for an indefinte period. If our loved ones abused the system by continuously getting Visas to go to our countries am sure people would complain and get annoyed. That is why you see a backlash here.

+1

Some people DO abuse the "Tourist Visa" and are working here illegally, this actually makes it more difficult for the people who just want to live here and spend their money, but do not fall into the genuine 2-4 week tourist category.

Finding "loopholes" may be considered clever by some but in the end just makes for more checks/ rules for everyone.

imho, would expect rules to be tightened for Ed visas in the next year or so, as some people only want the visa and not the study.

I'm not sure if that was a general question or aimed at me, but since you quoted me...

I wouldn't. I'd get a residence permit. Except there isn't one.

I'm not sure what you consider a legitimate reason. I can think of many (that don't fall into the categories education, business, retirement or marriage).

It was aimed at you, you seem to be particularly animated about this subject. I dont know of many countries ( especially in Asia ) that allow unfettered immigration. I do agree though that some of the policies look a bit arcane ( such as 90 day reporting ) however I think we can all see that if there was unfettered immigration into Thailand there would be an explosion of immigration. You have to remember its not just we Westerners etc that want in, the Russians, Indians, Chinese etc would move in in unsustainable numbers.

To me its fair enough that there are controls on immigration, because as apparently tight as they are just now they are already being abused. There are also enough legitimate categories for long term stay, and I dont think there should be a category called " because I want to ".

I also get the impression that people getting red stamped are few and far between, so the idea that there is some evil Consulate employee out there red stamping for the fun of it is off the mark. The perpetual tourist visas should be more strictly regulated, that category of immigrant are the people who habitually abuse the system and have a detrimental effect upon the legitimate visa holders.

You have to go other country except Laos, Kampuchea or Malaysia and comeback again seam you already reached your 3 border entry they should explained it to you during your last border entry or at least the runner agency should tell you which obviously because they just want to sell the express van ticket ha.ha. But the best suggestion go back to home country relax a bit and come back again in other time to enjoy Thailand. Otherwise your current holiday will become more miserable and you will hate Thailand entire your life.. believe me... been there done that.....