Penang Reject Tourist Visa Becouse Red Stamp

What is the definition of too many tourist visas? Is it the fact that they are issued back to back constantly that causes the problem?

A tourist is a visitor. The UN WTO (World Tourism Organisation) defined a visitor as a person visiting for LESS THAN ONE YEAR. Website Ref

Visitor

A visitor is a traveller taking a trip to a main destination outside his/her usual environment, for less than a year, for any main purpose (business, leisure or other personal purpose) other than to be employed by a resident entity in the country or place visited. A visitor (domestic, inbound or outbound) is classified as a tourist (or overnight visitor), if his/her trip includes an overnight stay, or as a same-day visitor (or excursionist) otherwise.

It is up to any country to define its tourism sector - "Real" Tourists normally bring in more money than "under the counter" residents.

A friend's (adult) son recently recently did a border run to obtain a Tourist Visa, and when asked at the consulate why he had so many TVs and what he was doing here, the guy answered that he was living with his father. The Official said that was not a Toursit visa and gave him 15 days to sort out his affairs and leave Thailand.

Re post 27 above about unsustainable immigration, I was reminded the other day that in 2013 under the Asean agreement, there will be freedom of movement and workers within ASEAN nations (like we have in the EU) so the current Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia "Illegal workers" will be free to get open employment here and get minimum wages (they hope). Also included will be Chinese and Filipino workers.

OK, nothing to do with us "Westerners" but shows the changing face in immigration policy.

Edited by grahamhc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the definition of too many tourist visas? Is it the fact that they are issued back to back constantly that causes the problem?

A tourist is a visitor. The UN WTO (World Tourism Organisation) defined a visitor as a person visiting for LESS THAN ONE YEAR. Website Ref

Visitor

A visitor is a traveller taking a trip to a main destination outside his/her usual environment, for less than a year, for any main purpose (business, leisure or other personal purpose) other than to be employed by a resident entity in the country or place visited. A visitor (domestic, inbound or outbound) is classified as a tourist (or overnight visitor), if his/her trip includes an overnight stay, or as a same-day visitor (or excursionist) otherwise.

It is up to any country to define its tourism sector - "Real" Tourists normally bring in more money than "under the counter" residents.

A friend's (adult) son recently recently did a border run to obtain a Tourist Visa, and when asked at the consulate why he had so many TVs and what he was doing here, the guy answered that he was living with his father. The Official said that was not a Toursit visa and gave him 15 days to sort out his affairs and leave Thailand.

Re post 27 above about unsustainable immigration, I was reminded the other day that in 2013 under the Asean agreement, there will be freedom of movement and workers within ASEAN nations (like we have in the EU) so the current Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia "Illegal workers" will be free to get open employment here and get minimum wages (they hope). Also included will be Chinese and Filipino workers.

OK, nothing to do with us "Westerners" but shows the changing face in immigration policy.

Yes correct, and this arrangement is done by Treaty. The Thai government has the right to set economic policy and immigration policy. There is no doubt that they will have calculated that that the benefits of ASEAN membership outweigh the disadvantages. They will have also have an estimate in place in regards to the nett flow of migrants, taking into account potential emigration of Thais into other ASEAN countries.

There will be a fair few Thai nationals delighted at the prospect of working in China and Singapore amongst others, but the point you make is correct, it is nothing to do with we Westerners.

There is no doubt the Thai immigration system is difficult and has no guarantees. After years of living here, there are new and unusual requirements every time.

Yes, the process is easy, if you have an income 10 times the Thai national average, or if you are married to Thai (much easier for women - instant residency)...

Plus, being a tourist is a legitimate reason for being in any country, even for extended periods. I have known many who spent months visiting hill tribes - a pain in the neck to come down from the mountains to get a stamp and then return.

So, multiple tourist visas for a tourist is quite valid and legal...

IMHO - Many of the comments are valid concerns that are never addresses by Thai officials - did anyone read the open letter to PM Yingluck, from Drew Noyes..??

He is one man who is trying to get common sense into the Thai Visa system, not defend it's pecularities...

Edited by dighambara

There is no doubt the Thai immigration system is difficult and has no guarantees. After years of living here, there are new and unusual requirements every time.

Yes, the process is easy, if you have an income 10 times the Thai national average, or if you are married to Thai (much easier for women - instant residency)...

Plus, being a tourist is a legitimate reason for being in any country, even for extended periods. I have known many who spent months visiting hill tribes - a pain in the neck to come down from the mountains to get a stamp and then return.

So, multiple tourist visas for a tourist is quite valid and legal...

IMHO - Many of the comments are valid concerns that are never addresses by Thai officials - did anyone read the open letter to PM Yingluck, from Drew Noyes..??

He is one man who is trying to get common sense into the Thai Visa system, not defend it's pecularities...

There is a difference between multiple and perpetual.............

Why would you need to continually re-apply for tourist visas if you had a legitimate reason to be in Thailand?

I'm not sure if that was a general question or aimed at me, but since you quoted me...

I wouldn't. I'd get a residence permit. Except there isn't one.

I'm not sure what you consider a legitimate reason. I can think of many (that don't fall into the categories education, business, retirement or marriage).

It was aimed at you, you seem to be particularly animated about this subject. I dont know of many countries ( especially in Asia ) that allow unfettered immigration. I do agree though that some of the policies look a bit arcane ( such as 90 day reporting ) however I think we can all see that if there was unfettered immigration into Thailand there would be an explosion of immigration. You have to remember its not just we Westerners etc that want in, the Russians, Indians, Chinese etc would move in in unsustainable numbers.

To me its fair enough that there are controls on immigration, because as apparently tight as they are just now they are already being abused. There are also enough legitimate categories for long term stay, and I dont think there should be a category called " because I want to ".

I also get the impression that people getting red stamped are few and far between, so the idea that there is some evil Consulate employee out there red stamping for the fun of it is off the mark. The perpetual tourist visas should be more strictly regulated, that category of immigrant are the people who habitually abuse the system and have a detrimental effect upon the legitimate visa holders.

@ the blether. Let me guess - you are over 50. A nice category for you to fit in there right :-)

@Beano - My loved one is here and without getting married i can provide whatever you can to go to the west but there is no visa category for me in Thailand.

Fortunately i can afford to pay people to sort me out a "visa". Pretty sure all those "criminals" and "abusers of the system" can too.

A tourist visa is issued for genuine tourists. I.E Someone coming here for a holiday. But you hardly sound like one.

Most countries will let you stay up to a total of 6 months. Then if they let you to stay longer you become resident for tax purposes and pay taxes. Thailand is only trying to regulate the flow of non genuine tourists a lot of whom are not contributing any benifit to the country.

Go home. Get a new passport. Come back.

Or, depending on your circumstances, get yourself a proper long term visa

Wouldn't that be a novel idea? Someone actually going with the program instead of trying to get around it.

That someone could be me and most of the people that I know.

Of course most of them are married or retired but they have gone along with the rules and regulations, the unwritten ones like being polite and reasonably dressed and having all the paperwork.

What a surprise there are no problems at the Immigration Department and often the staff there remember you and talk to you as a friend.

But what do I know anyway.

I am just a fat old farang who plays by the rules and doesn't throw his toys out of the pram when somebody tells him, no you can't have anymore visas as we don't think you are a tourist.

• Like 1

As I understand,

you can stay 90 days out of 180, which means 3 months here, then 3 at home or at least elsewhere. So if you go over 90 days in 6 months they can red stamp you. When you are past 3 months from the red stamp date you can do another 90 days. But they likely will eyeball you harder too.

How many border runs depends on the type of visa you get.

But the cumulative days is what they will look for.

My last run to KL was a trainwreck, but Kota Baru is friendly. Boring town but nice consulate.

Edited by animatic

Nobody has a right to go and live in another country unless that country gives you the right to do so and countries have different policies about foreigners living there. In the EU, the member states have given each others' citizens the right to enter and stay indefinitely for a number of reasons including work, retirement etc without much restriction. In practice as long as you keep out of jail, an EU citizen can live freely for any reason whatever in any member state. This arrangement is the exception in the world and not the rule, and it took more than 20 years of cases in the European Court of Justice to get to that point. Even now in the UK there are loud voices from the right (Tories and UKIP) shouting about 'too many East Europeans' taking British jobs.

Is it any surprise then that Thailand wants to restrict the ability of foreigners to come and live in the country? In fact Thailand is one of the easiest countries in the world to get into and stay in legally or illegally. I do not see any reason why they should relax their border controls to allow foreigners in, if those foreigners have nothing to contribute to Thailand. Thailand is not short of people, but it does have an excess of disreputable foreigners.

• Like 2

As I understand,

you can stay 90 days out of 180, which means 3 months here, then 3 at home or at least elsewhere. So if you go over 90 days in 6 months they can red stamp you. When you are past 3 months from the red stamp date you can do another 90 days. But they likely will eyeball you harder too.

My last run to KL was a trainwreck, but Kota Baru is friendly. Boring town but nice consulate.

There is no such rule or cumulative day count or limit on number of border runs.

I am neither a tourist nor a resident, but base myself in Bangkok as it is a convenient hub. I have been flying in and out regularly (twice a month) and have always got the 30 day visa on entry. There have never been any questions asked by Immigration staff at the airport. I maintain an apartment here but do not work in Thailand. Am I breaking any laws??

I am neither a tourist nor a resident, but base myself in Bangkok as it is a convenient hub. I have been flying in and out regularly (twice a month) and have always got the 30 day visa on entry. There have never been any questions asked by Immigration staff at the airport. I maintain an apartment here but do not work in Thailand. Am I breaking any laws??

No. You are in the first rung of the ladder towards International Gypsy status.

• Like 2

Go home. Get a new passport. Come back.

Why go home, cross the border for a 15 day visa, then get a new passport at the embassy, less expensive.

That sentence you've quoted is out of context - It was meant to emphasise the later point I made that he's likely to find more and more obstacles to keeping getting tv's with his current passport and might be better off with a new one.

You're assuming he has an embassy that issues passports which if he's British, he doesn't. 4 weeks turnaround to Hong Kong during which time his existing pp will be electronically cancelled so he won't be able to travel. A 15 day stamp wouldn't be enough.

I'm sure I saw a post a couple of weeks back where someone had been refused so they went to KL and got one no problem. Panang has changed from being the best place to get a visa to the worst. Check the latest news on getting a visa in the region thread as that is top notch.

Penang has not been friendly considering back to back tourist visas since 2007.

KL or Kota bahru might give you a single entry.

Thailand is messed up with there visa laws .Go home some of us don't have that kind of luxury . I'd say go to Cambodia for 6 months they don't hassle you just pay your fee and stay none of this stupid in and out shot all the time

As I understand,

Go to Cambodia they are not so idiotic about there visa laws . Stay 3 month and come back

Why would you need to continually re-apply for tourist visas if you had a legitimate reason to be in Thailand?

I'm not sure if that was a general question or aimed at me, but since you quoted me...

I'm not sure what you consider a legitimate reason. I can think of many (that don't fall into the categories education, business, retirement or marriage).

It was aimed at you, you seem to be particularly animated about this subject. I dont know of many countries ( especially in Asia ) that allow unfettered immigration. I do agree though that some of the policies look a bit arcane ( such as 90 day reporting ) however I think we can all see that if there was unfettered immigration into Thailand there would be an explosion of immigration. You have to remember its not just we Westerners etc that want in, the Russians, Indians, Chinese etc would move in in unsustainable numbers.

To me its fair enough that there are controls on immigration, because as apparently tight as they are just now they are already being abused. There are also enough legitimate categories for long term stay, and I dont think there should be a category called " because I want to ".

I also get the impression that people getting red stamped are few and far between, so the idea that there is some evil Consulate employee out there red stamping for the fun of it is off the mark. The perpetual tourist visas should be more strictly regulated, that category of immigrant are the people who habitually abuse the system and have a detrimental effect upon the legitimate visa holders.

@ the blether. Let me guess - you are over 50. A nice category for you to fit in there right :-)

@Beano - My loved one is here and without getting married i can provide whatever you can to go to the west but there is no visa category for me in Thailand.

Fortunately i can afford to pay people to sort me out a "visa". Pretty sure all those "criminals" and "abusers of the system" can too.

Not 50 not married not working Just a single person who spends about 30,000 usd a year there but no visa for me and I have been there since 1993 . The laws are idiotic

I am 45.......whats your next assumption?

A tourist visa is issued for genuine tourists. I.E Someone coming here for a holiday. But you hardly sound like one.

Most countries will let you stay up to a total of 6 months. Then if they let you to stay longer you become resident for tax purposes and pay taxes. Thailand is only trying to regulate the flow of non genuine tourists a lot of whom are not contributing any benifit to the country.

Amazing that....I am a tourist......I still have my permanent residence in the UK and I fly in and out of Thailand six times a year........never staying longer than 30 days.

Thats down to two reasons......one, I am not ready to retire yet, I will do that in two years.....and two.....when I do I know the rules so I wont even try to domicile in Thailand. Every country is entitled to have immigration rules, Thai rules are very fair, compared to many.

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

"All of these are certainly guaranteed to be renewable."

By who, you?

I can't think of anyone who could guarantee that 'certainly'.

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

1. If you have a WP

2. If you attend a school

3. If you are married and have the requested income

4. If you are 50 or older and have the requested income

Can't see what your concerns are?

You've obviously never banked with the Bangkok Bank in Phetchabun, getting the letter from them for renewal is a major ordeal every year. wacko.png

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

"All of these are certainly guaranteed to be renewable."

By who, you?

I can't think of anyone who could guarantee that 'certainly'.

business visas

ed visas

marriage visa

retirement visa

1. If you have a WP

2. If you attend a school

3. If you are married and have the requested income

Can't see what your concerns are?

You've obviously never banked with the Bangkok Bank in Phetchabun, getting the letter from them for renewal is a major ordeal every year. wacko.png

Change Banks!

The reality (and probably the reason for so many flames, arguments, and debates surrounding all this) is that Thailand really isn't trying to regulate the flow of non genuine tourists. First off, comparisons with highly developed, high salaried countries are not warranted. The visa laws for Japan, the US, European countries, Australia, Canada, Singapore, et al are quite strict and there are reasons for this. Conversely, no matter what is said, in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand, if the right money is paid to the right place, you get to stay, period. However, places like Cambodia and Laos seemingly make this a lot easier for long term stayers as opposed to Thailand. I have lived in Thailand for 7 years now. I get my visas, whether they be Non B, Non O, or Tourist, from different embassies and consulates around the world by doing my research and acting accordingly. I am not married, don't work here, don't have a company set up or anything else that would qualify me for a Non O or B, yet I have gotten those visas 5-6 times from different places (usually just by filling out paperwork, with the exception of Perth's "friend" visa) which just goes to show you that even the embassies and consulates around the world have no agreement as to what really constitutes a tourist or a visa requirement. I speak fairly decent Thai and have absolutely no interest in forking out 25,000 baht to a language school when I can continue to get visas that will allow me to stay here for far less money, which actually are far more legal or honest, in that the Ed visa for the most part is just an excuse to have a visa. I will turn 50 in a few months, so will finally be able to be a bonafide non tourist. I still wont be paying taxes here, but put far more income into the country then many, I own property here, and am certainly not seen as an "undesireable" by Thai Immigration. My point is that there are many here who do not qualify for marriage, business, education, or other type of long stay visas, yet they can relatively easily still obtain these visas, not to mention pay agents to get double tourist visas in the right places. And, many of these people are not lowlifes, do contribute plenty to the economy here, and would happily go some other sort of visa route if they could. Because of all the elasticity of the rules (one week you can get unlimited double entries in Penang, the next week it is Vientiane, the next week it is something else somewhere else), there really is no set policy, and until this comes into place, there will always be tons of folks living on the fringes. I recently picked up a double entry tourist visa in Sri Lanka...the Thai Embassy there was thorough enough...they wanted to see a flight into the country, they wanted to know about the ability to support oneself economically in the country. They could have cared less about previous entries or even the fact that one lived in Thailand. They did their job, followed their requirements, and as long as one met them, stamp was given.

The reality (and probably the reason for so many flames, arguments, and debates surrounding all this) is that Thailand really isn't trying to regulate the flow of non genuine tourists. First off, comparisons with highly developed, high salaried countries are not warranted. The visa laws for Japan, the US, European countries, Australia, Canada, Singapore, et al are quite strict and there are reasons for this. Conversely, no matter what is said, in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand, if the right money is paid to the right place, you get to stay, period. However, places like Cambodia and Laos seemingly make this a lot easier for long term stayers as opposed to Thailand. I have lived in Thailand for 7 years now. I get my visas, whether they be Non B, Non O, or Tourist, from different embassies and consulates around the world by doing my research and acting accordingly. I am not married, don't work here, don't have a company set up or anything else that would qualify me for a Non O or B, yet I have gotten those visas 5-6 times from different places (usually just by filling out paperwork, with the exception of Perth's "friend" visa) which just goes to show you that even the embassies and consulates around the world have no agreement as to what really constitutes a tourist or a visa requirement. I speak fairly decent Thai and have absolutely no interest in forking out 25,000 baht to a language school when I can continue to get visas that will allow me to stay here for far less money, which actually are far more legal or honest, in that the Ed visa for the most part is just an excuse to have a visa. I will turn 50 in a few months, so will finally be able to be a bonafide non tourist. I still wont be paying taxes here, but put far more income into the country then many, I own property here, and am certainly not seen as an "undesireable" by Thai Immigration. My point is that there are many here who do not qualify for marriage, business, education, or other type of long stay visas, yet they can relatively easily still obtain these visas, not to mention pay agents to get double tourist visas in the right places. And, many of these people are not lowlifes, do contribute plenty to the economy here, and would happily go some other sort of visa route if they could. Because of all the elasticity of the rules (one week you can get unlimited double entries in Penang, the next week it is Vientiane, the next week it is something else somewhere else), there really is no set policy, and until this comes into place, there will always be tons of folks living on the fringes. I recently picked up a double entry tourist visa in Sri Lanka...the Thai Embassy there was thorough enough...they wanted to see a flight into the country, they wanted to know about the ability to support oneself economically in the country. They could have cared less about previous entries or even the fact that one lived in Thailand. They did their job, followed their requirements, and as long as one met them, stamp was given.

You should start a visa company. Using agents is largely based on trust. You just don't want to hand over paperwork to any and anybody. And I agree to a large extent about the ED visa being fairly easy to qualify for. It seems like an actual multiple entry visa visa issued outside thailand is much easier than these extensions.

I guess whomever is willing to jump through the hoops gets the "reward" of a long stay in Thailand. I learned that when I was in Malaysia.....if I had a choice, I'd much rather be here.

• 7 months later...

Visitor

Wrong. This policy is for skilled labor and not for unskilled labor. Despite the current situation, imagine the uproar, the riots, the racism etc. that would happen if such open immigration were allowed. ASEAN is a very long way away from the EU open borders policy my friend. Don't make the mistake of assuming that all of a sudden, they're going to swing open their doors, even to each other. They aren't!

Also Filipinos are ASEAN workers, so they would be included. I HIGHLY doubt Chinese workers would be included. Are you kidding me? Apart from the obvious fact that the Chinese are not part of ASEAN, but can you imagine the consequences of allowing what could potentially be millions of Chinese workers coming down to ASEAN and changing the face of these countries? It would be cataclysmic!!! Thailand for one doesn't want to become an extension of China, even if they have allowed millions of ethnic Chinese to settle over the past decades and century or more, but back then things were different and nowadays those Chinese have mostly intermarried and become Thai. The Chinese, if they were allowed to come, trust me, wouldn't want to change. They would create enclaves with Chinese writing and Chinese social habits and they would start spitting, kids would be shitting on the footpaths/sidewalks, smoking would be allowed everywhere (or no smoking signs would be ignored) and they wouldn't employ non-Chinese. As much as the real China is quite a nice country, I'd hate for Thailand or any other SE Asian country to become like what I've just described.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I love it when they turn down a tourist visa to these knuckle heads, they are the same deadbeats that complained when they changed the rules on the 30 day border runs. They just do not understand what we contribute to the economy and what we do for Thailand, and the dire warnings how someone else would be next. Get the visa you are qualified for or go home find a visa agent that can get you a business visa good for one year, or get a new passport and then cry when that ones filled up. Geez you get tired of these cry babies. Yeah and I know I have no compassion, ill be next on the list, and blah blah