Motor Cycle Rental

bristolgeoff

the other day my friend who owns a bar was told by a old customer who just come back rented a bike from pops.he was leaving today but could,nt because his bike went missing and had to pay alot of money to him.so be careful if you do as pops is known for doing tricks like this.be warned

POP is a motorbike rental shop they have branches all around the moat area.

Thanks for the heads up - I actually live in Chiang Mai but didn't know that. As for the subject itself, how many times on TV does this topic come up? I rented a few times when I first came here and always made sure that I got a good lock and chain - be aware that if the shop provides it they will also have a spare key!!!. Always try to chain the bike to something immovable because just locking the wheels means they can hoist the bike on the back of a pickup and be away.

If you plan to stay here for sometime I would suggest buying a motorbike. I bought one a few years ago for 17k (second hand) it's still going strong and I reckon if I was paying 2-3k a month rent I would have paid for this bike four times over at least.

I don't get the warning. Isn't that a contractual standard for any rental. Losses, damages, etc are the responsibility of the renter. Or is the warning about POPS actually stealing the bike themselves and forcing the renter to pay?

I believe that "stealing the bike themselves" is what is being inferred. I have to say that I feared this when I rented a bike and I used to lock it up with my own lock because of this. Buying your own gives piece of mind...

I've no idea if any of the rental places do this or not, but lets face it with the rental companies putting stickers all over them indicating who they are rented from it wouldn't be difficult - especially if you had the keys!

I don't get the warning. Isn't that a contractual standard for any rental. Losses, damages, etc are the responsibility of the renter. Or is the warning about POPS actually stealing the bike themselves and forcing the renter to pay?

I believe that "stealing the bike themselves" is what is being inferred. I have to say that I feared this when I rented a bike and I used to lock it up with my own lock because of this. Buying your own gives piece of mind...

I've no idea if any of the rental places do this or not, but lets face it with the rental companies putting stickers all over them indicating who they are rented from it wouldn't be difficult - especially if you had the keys!

Yep like you say they have spare keys, they have your address, the motorbike is easy to spot, every opportunity. My girlfriend is constantly warning me that Chiang Mai is rife with motorbike thefts so best not take chances - lock it or lose it.

1. theft

1. theft by individual is very rare in CM

2. i always use my own lock

3. i always provide a false hotel address on the contract

• Like 1

1. theft

Good advice. Do you leave your passport with the rental company?

1. theft

If they ask to keep your passport then go somewhere else, when I rented I only used people who took photocopies.

As an afterthought, if they insist on keeping your passport ask them to sign a contract for loss or damage and they will have to reimburse all costs for replacement of passport, visa, photos, admin, overstay fees and emotional stress caused by said loss. Or better still don't do it.

Edited by sysardman
  • Like 1

1. theft

No. I paid another refundable B5000 deposit.

Yep more speculation as always, the guy probably left the bike parked on the street overnight (think Zoe) while he went and passed out at Spicy.

I know a few people dumb enough to do this, then call me paranoid when i point it out.

Edited by KRS1

the other day my friend who owns a bar was told by a old customer

I would call this a hearsay x2. whistling.gif

Pops has been around for decades, longer than anyone else other than the nice guy next to the Stube who turns his office into a blues bar at night. You can fault them for some of their maintenance practices, but they don't go around stealing back rental bikes.

I don't think that anyone is questioning that his bike was stolen/lost. or that he was held responsible for the loss. The clincher is that he is claiming that POPS had the bike stolen. Did he give any reason for believing that it was POPS?

well the end result is that he paid the money so he could get his passport back.he was not happy but had no option.he is now back home in europe.why would he lie to well respected person in chiang mai who he thought could help him

one of the few rental shops without any problems is NP car rent on rachamankha rd.

highly recommended.

for the crooked shops always lie where you live and never leave your passport, just money deposit.

if there is a crash or some damage to the rental motorbike they will try to rip you off.

crash-> you in a hospital-> police collect the bike and call the shop->they go and fix the bike and then they blackmail you to buy a new one or pay the price of a new bike.

even if the damage wasn't more than i.e. plastic parts and front fork.

Edited by ikis

Yep more speculation as always, the guy probably left the bike parked on the street overnight (think Zoe) while he went and passed out at Spicy.

I know a few people dumb enough to do this, then call me paranoid when i point it out.

Yes this happens all the time it's about where people go and they never bother even locking the steering lock let alone put a lock on it then they come up with all kind of excuses of why it got stolen even tho they got told like a thousand time to lock it up .

Just be careful.I understand when renting those things there isn' any insurance.I also understand insurance companies will not sell ya insurance when renting them.

Before buying my own motorcycle, I rented a cycle on a number of occaions from Queen Bee, a couple blocks south of Tha Pae Gate: http://http://www.mapjack.com/?RYYyU3Xeac2E Something like 10 years ago now I was involved in an accident which totaled the cycle and sent me to the hospital for an overnight. The cycle was fully insured, and my medical expenses were paid for also by the insurance company.

Queen Bee is a well-established and reputable company that I've used since and recommended to my friends. They do require you to leave your passport, not a photocopy, however.

the other day my friend who owns a bar was told by a old customer

I would call this a hearsay x2. whistling.gif

Yes. AND it's clearly slandering a local business. I've seen topics closed for far less. Guess the mods are still in bed.

Chai! As most of us know, Thailand has very strong defamation laws. The OP is certainly treading on thin nam keang!

Yes this happens all the time it's about where people go and they never bother even locking the steering lock let alone put a lock on it then they come up with all kind of excuses of why it got stolen even tho they got told like a thousand time to lock it up .

But....it will never happen to...'them'

Yes. AND it's clearly slandering a local business. I've seen topics closed for far less. Guess the mods are still in bed.

Been watching this topic closely from the beginning. The topic has produced some positive information, but now that you have forced my hand it's now closed.