Buddah Day Dec 5th

phuketpaddy

Hello,

Buddah Day on Deceber 5th, im told everything closes, i mean everything bars,girls,shops etc is this true and whats the chances of getting a drink in the hotel im staying in or will i hav to stock up the fridge.

Also is there anything at all i can do to avoid boredom on that day, i will be in bangkok

Cheers

Hello,

Buddah Day on Deceber 5th, im told everything closes, i mean everything bars,girls,shops etc is this true and whats the chances of getting a drink in the hotel im staying in or will i hav to stock up the fridge.

Also is there anything at all i can do to avoid boredom on that day, i will be in bangkok

Cheers

I think you mean the King's Birthday celebrations.

I also think you should consider going home, to avoid boredom here.

:o

If you absolutely need to be completely drunk and waisted that day,

avoid, at all costs, causing a disturbance in public, as you might just cause offence...

Peculiar how you posted Buddha day. As Steve stated, it's the king's birthday, or fathers day as Thais call it. Though, in the old days based on the Funan/Khmer practices, the king was actually held as high as a diety, higher than the monks. However, as the current tradition/heirarchy goes, the monk has higher status than the king.

:o

Aside from the fact that December 5th is not Buddah (sic) day, you are obviously listening to the wrong people. Do not believe everything they tell you (or believe them at your own risk)

Perhaps they were just pulling your leg? :o

Hello,

Cheers

I don't think the 'girls' close. :o

And I would like to wish His Majesty a very Happy Birthday

Barry

My apologies for getting them mixed up, my thai friend said buddah day by mistake so i figured the 2 were linked, i did realise it was the Kings Birthday as ive seem the many posters etc appearing over the last few days, she didnt know the correct translation but im new enough to Thailand so im still learning, but i do know it is very important but my questions still is

Does absolutely everything close that day or will there be anything to do at all, dont necessarily have to get drunk but if there is nothing else to do that day i might as well stock up on the beer and have a few in the hotel, bit like Good Friday in Ireland i suppose. Anyone any idea's???

Cheers

All the major shopping malls and cinemas should be open in Bangkok . I'm not 100% sure if that will be the case elsewhere in Thailand. :o

I'm sure if you ask your friendly taxi driver he will be able to find somewhere that serves alcohol. In all honesty it's not worth it. Everywhere will be dead. Best to either stock the fridge up with beer or just have a day with out it.

I've been to bars on father's day before and seen others drink. I was in one last year in fact.

It's not disrespectful to drink, as far as I'm aware.

Buddhist holidays are different. I think they have got a lot stricter in recent years. The first few years i was here, I used to buy booze from 7-11, then they started to put cardboard over the cabinets, but you could still buy it. Now, I don't think you can, but I've never tried it.

I think it is taken as an oppotunity for those from outside Bangers to go home.

Unless you're an alkie, why the need to drink?

Edited by Neeranam

Does absolutely everything close that day or will there be anything to do at all, dont necessarily have to get drunk but if there is nothing else to do that day i might as well stock up on the beer and have a few in the hotel, bit like Good Friday in Ireland i suppose. Anyone any idea's???

Cheers

if you don't mind huge crowds, Sanam Luang in front of the Grand Palace will have the biggest celebrations, from concerts to a huge boxing tournament and firework display

Edited by bbtali

…on Deceber 5th, im told everything closes, i mean everything bars,girls,shops etc is this true and whats the chances of getting a drink in the hotel im staying in or will i hav to stock up the fridge.

phuketpady, if you’re already back from your excursion to Bangkok – or when you get back – please let us all know how you fared. Less traffic than usual, for sure, but otherwise did you find enough to do to keep boredom at bay?

Most or really every hotel i came across had no beer to sell, i stayed near the nana plaza but there was plenty of women for sale around the main nana area, way more than you would normally see for around 2-6pm. But there must have been people selling beer around the nana area and although i never seen them selling there was 15-25 people drinking beer sitting in the bar seats around the nana area drinking so i presume there was someone selling, but maybe they brought their own i cant be sure.

In the end i just had a quiet day, i already had some ass aquired from the days before so i had a sober day with plenty of sex so all in all i enjoyed the kings birthday and one day of the beer is no harm. Long Live The King and may i be there for many more of his birthdays and the queens too of course.

For the people like me who taught everything closed youre wrong, everything else was open except for the bar:

shops, restaurants etc were unaffected even one bar i was in was packed because there was pool going on and food being served, infact you couldnt tell that there was no drink being served unless you scanned the tables, good to see everyone enjoying themselves without drink

Hope this helps but as far as i know the queens birthday is not until approx 25th of july but is there any other non drinking days, amybe someone will list the known days for convienience

Ill start but please correct

Queens Birthday July 25th

Kings Birthday 5th December

What else, i know buddah would be a big day but i have no idea of the dates???

Edited by phuketpaddy

For the people like me who taught everything closed youre wrong, everything else was open except for the bar:

Happy to hear your visit to the capital went all right and you didn’t find yourself too much limited in your activities despite the special holiday.