My Recent Mexican Food Journey

Awohalitsiktoli

After having complained and complained about Mexican food in Pattaya, I thought I would start a thread that does not "complain."

So, why not list the "good stuff" at various Mexican places and not harp on the "bad stuff." Of course, people will disagree, but that can be done in a civilized manner....but perhaps not in Pattaya :)

OK, let me start. I just tried three different places: Mikes, Sunrise Tacos, and Tequilla Reef. Here is what I found that I thought was really good!

Mikes: cheese enchilada (interesting with a sauce that I had never had that was good); beef taco (very good)

Sunrise Tacos: wonderful pork carnitas taco (really outstanding, double soft taco and good stuff inside......also mango salsa is fantastic); pumpkin pie (best in town)

Tequilla Reef: really good LA Burrito (w/ pork......giant burrito and chips and hot sauce come to the table for free)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't agree with positive reactions to the Reef's LA burrito. God help anyone who tried to sell that in LA. Can't comment on Mikes because until I hear they are offering at least one decent salsa, I won't even try it. Not a priority for all, but is for me. Reef also no decent salsa as I learned from direct experience.

The carnitas and most of the meats in general at Sunrise? Yes, EXCELLENT! Their grilled chicken though, way too bland.

Edited by Jingthing

<snip>.

The carnitas and most of the meats in general at Sunrise? Yes, EXCELLENT! <snip>.

In the spirit of the OPs post you could have just limited yourself to the above.

I had a really enjoyable and tasty Chicken Burrito at Sunrise and the missus had an equally good beef Chimichanga.

The margarita was good too and the service was excellent.

Edited by PattayaParent

I understand the comments about the LA Burrito. But that is only a name. I am being very specific about what I like there: LA Burrito with pork. I wonder if the people who are commenting on it have actually eaten it.....the specific one I am mentioning. The reason is because there are many items I do not like at some of these places, so I am trying to focus on what is really good at each one. Some make good pork items; some make good beef items, etc. No, the LA Burrito w/ pork is not the same as in Los Angeles. But I do not care. I am not in Los Angeles. Timekeeper, thanks for the tip on fajitas at Hard Rock, but please be specific: pork, chicken, beef? I think this thread might help people order the right thing at the right place. Thanks.

I wonder if the people who are commenting on it have actually eaten it.....the specific one I am mentioning.

Yes and I would be ashamed to not warn other members that they might be wasting their time and money going there. That does not mean that your opinion is wrong. I just don't agree with it.

I understand the comments about the LA Burrito. But that is only a name. I am being very specific about what I like there: LA Burrito with pork. I wonder if the people who are commenting on it have actually eaten it.....the specific one I am mentioning. The reason is because there are many items I do not like at some of these places, so I am trying to focus on what is really good at each one. Some make good pork items; some make good beef items, etc. No, the LA Burrito w/ pork is not the same as in Los Angeles. But I do not care. I am not in Los Angeles. Timekeeper, thanks for the tip on fajitas at Hard Rock, but please be specific: pork, chicken, beef? I think this thread might help people order the right thing at the right place. Thanks.

sure no problem

i usually go half and half on chicken and beef

that way the wife gets to steal some from the chicken side

Good thread Awol. I wish you luck in keeping it positive and on topic.

I can help with that.

Sunrise Tacos licklips.gif -- surprisingly good Mexican style meats (also the Baja fish) for their tacos and burritos (excepting grilled chicken)

Sunrise Tacos licklips.gif-- the only salsa bar in town and some of them are acceptable to Mexican food lovers, no not world class though

Sunrise Tacos licklips.gif-- only place in town with Horchata and it tastes like Horchata

Sunrise Tacos licklips.gif-- the taco days promotion is fabuloso

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder if the people who are commenting on it have actually eaten it.....the specific one I am mentioning.

Yes and I would be ashamed to not warn other members that they might be wasting their time and money going there. That does not mean that your opinion is wrong. I just don't agree with it.

No problem.....there is no way that all of us are going to fully agree on what we like. I suppose one way of looking at this thread is to ask: What food item or items stand out from the rest at the places that are offering Mexican food (best dish or dishes on the menu).

I have enjoyed just about everything I have ordered at Sunrise.

The chips and salsas, tacos, rice and beans.

One unusual dish they serve is rice topped with ground sirloin and melted cheese. I scoop it up with an order of chips. Very good.

I like the attitude of Gil, the owner of Sunrise. He has nice things to say about the competition too.

No problem.....there is no way that all of us are going to fully agree on what we like. I suppose one way of looking at this thread is to ask: What food item or items stand out from the rest at the places that are offering Mexican food (best dish or dishes on the menu).

Very true, but if someone wants to point out that they do not like a recommended dish in a big way, IMO that is helpful feedback too.

By the way, I have nothing against the other food at Tequilla Reef - only the Mexican dishes.

There is/was a place called The Wild Turkey on either Yamato or Post Office not far from second road. Never tried their food but they were open for the superbowl. This was 12 years or so ago.

Never heard of it. Is this history hour?

Well then, if you have never heard of it I would dismiss as hearsay and move on.

There is/was a place called The Wild Turkey on either Yamato or Post Office not far from second road. Never tried their food but they were open for the superbowl. This was 12 years or so ago.

Well then, if you have never heard of it I would dismiss as hearsay and move on.

Headline of thread -- RECENT

But the OP also asked for positive comments and you ignored that one so don't pick on other posters.

In post 18 the op asks about the wild fowl establishment. That seems fairly recent n'est pas? Stick to giving one-sided food reviews.

[

But the OP also asked for positive comments and you ignored that one so don't pick on other posters.

Yes but I am reformed now. See Post 12.

You mean the blatant thread hi jack for one particular operation that I have reported ?

I really have no idea what you're talking about now, but I suggest you chill out.

why not send him a PM to re-inforce your message??

The Wild-Chicken is on Soi Post Office, a couple of doors off of 2nd road toward the beach, on the right (North) side of the soi. Had a burrito there awhile back - very tasty. The place is owned by a Brit and a nice guy. It's been there for many years.

Also good, Sam's Mexican in Jomtien on a back soi across the road from the new taco place. Enchirito was outstanding. Small place - very reasonable prices.

ENCHIRITO-AT-SAMS-300x225.jpg

Sam's Menu:

http://i15.photobuck...14/P1010879.jpg

Edited by SurfRider