My Recent Mexican Food Journey

Awohalitsiktoli

I believe they were the typical sliced jalapenos from a can available at Makros, my real vision of Jalapeno Poppers is jalapenos slice in half length wise, seeds scooped out and filled with cheese, dipped in batter they deep fried, not easy to find this style in Pattaya but I will keep searching.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is why I asked first if they had today and was disappointed to find they did not. The intro on the menu said everything is made fresh daily ingredients purchased each morning so that was a clue. If I cannot find chili rellenos on other Mexican restaurants it is a the tip that not wildly popular so I was thrilled that they agreed to make for me tomorrow. Doing a search on Google with pictures and recipes shows me there are dozens of ways to make them so whatever they make will not be what I was used to but will not judge it by past experiences but only on quality, taste and ingredients. I will let you know, in fact if I remember I will bring camera and even post pictures.

Mahalo nui loa

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they are NOT using Poblano peppers which of course you need to import into Thailand if you want them. Can you please ask them what kind of pepper they ARE using and report it here?

I'm sure REAL chile rellenos would find a market in Thailand but the trouble is sourcing the POBLANO peppers. Also I reckon there is a learning curve to cook. I would love a Sunrise burrito with a (real) chile relleno in it.

Edited by Jingthing

Glad to hear that Mike's is open again. I dig the beef Chimichanga. My friend always gets the chile rellenos so I'm not

sure what the fuss is about. I don't think he ever got shut out on that.

Mike's also has the best hard shell beef taco around. Too bad the place isn't smoke free.

Sam's in Jomtien does a good chorizo burrito and the enchirito tastes like it has a mole sauce. Incredible at 115 baht.

Just had his chicken quesadilla tonight. Also very good. His prices are way cheaper than either Mike's or Sunrise.

The best thing at Sunrise is the salsa bar. I agree that things have gotten way too sweet there.

Tequila Reef has good ribs. That's the only thing I'll say about that place.

On the guacamole issue, I've been making my own for 40 years. When I have a ripe avo, I get take out from Sunrise or Sam's and take it home to eat with my own guac.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they are NOT using Poblano peppers which of course you need to import into Thailand if you want them.

I was told that the King's Project was growing them several years ago, but not sure about currently.

I went to the Beefeater Tavern Mexican Buffet recently (one of two planned pigouts, the other being a curry pigout). For what it is, it would have been just fine if everything were just not too sweet--beans, chilli, sauce on the ribs, etc. What's with all the sugar? Instead of the "taco shells" it would have been better to just have a bag of imported Doritos. The BBQ chicken was about the most edible dish. My expectations weren't all that high to begin with--TIT--but still disappointed, won't be back.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned Sams, which is somewhat across street from Sunrise and back behind Findig store and near (I think) Neo condo or whatever it is. Used to go to Mike's, which I liked just fine, but this is better and nearer to me (live in Jomtien). Fresh and tasty. Has 200 baht plate that has enchillada, taco and tostada and rice. Enough for me. Also has a decent Philly sandwich and he says on Sunday an all you can eat fried chicken and all that affair. Haven't tried that. I am already fat enough!

Edited by Emdog
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure Sam's has been mentioned but I agree that it's better than Sunrise . And no ++ charges.

Is Mike's open now? It looked closed for renovations for a while.

Agree also with Sam's which I only tried as Mike's was closed.

Mike's reopened the retaurant again last weekend.