My Recent Mexican Food Journey

Awohalitsiktoli

Having never eaten mexican food I was talked into going down to Sunrise Taco last Saturday morning for breakfast, got there at 10:15 only to be turned away and told not open until 11:00 yet the large sign outside proudly proclaims open from sunrise to sunset" am I missing something or does the sun not rise in Mexico until 11am? Oh well thats another one off the list .

Sorry, this is getting way too vague. Either supply restaurant names or they aren't going on the list.

Not sure if you quoted the wrong post and that was meant for me but I'll do a drive by tomorrow and get the names of both the bar on Soi Kownoi and the restaurant on Soi Kowtalo

Yes, thanks. Will hold up the poll, but they aren't go to get many votes anyway, but anyway, do please supply the names.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Palm on Soi KowNoi.

They have a Mexican section on the menu, no?

Yes I have heard of it. I don't know if they still do. Last I heard about it was years ago. Can anyone confirm a more recent visit? I want to include only "Mexican" places I have a reasonable confidence actually still exist. Edited by Jingthing

There is a bar on Soi Kownoi called the ugly mexican or something and I have never been in but my guess is maybe they serve mexican food?

EDIT:: come to think of it, it might be called fat mexican which is why I assumed they served food.

Also, on Soi Kowtalo is a mexican restaurant around soi 12 but I have never been in there either and can't remember the name. I might be getting the soi it's close to wrong as well... smile.png

There is a bar on Soi Kownoi called the ugly mexican or something and I have never been in but my guess is maybe they serve mexican food?

EDIT:: come to think of it, it might be called fat mexican which is why I assumed they served food.

Also, on Soi Kowtalo is a mexican restaurant around soi 12 but I have never been in there either and can't remember the name. I might be getting the soi it's close to wrong as well... smile.png

I've heard of the Fat Mexican, and I don't think it's a restaurant.............whistling.gif

What about:

"We serve great international food and popular American dishes. We offer a Tex-Mex menu with the best Mexican food around... ...on Saturday we have a Texas style Bar-B-Cue."

-Moonshine Place

Jomtien, Soi 4

Yes it's on the list already. Never been. Any reports? The place usually seems empty when I go by there.

What about:

"We serve great international food and popular American dishes. We offer a Tex-Mex menu with the best Mexican food around... ...on Saturday we have a Texas style Bar-B-Cue."

-Moonshine Place

Jomtien, Soi 4

Yes it's on the list already. Never been. Any reports? The place usually seems empty when I go by there.

I just ate at Moonshine (but note that their sign is down for repairs at the moment). It was my first time to eat Mexican food there. For a whopping 125 baht (I managed to talk them down to 124 baht) I had a bean and cheese burrito. It was good. It wasn't huge, but OK......had lettuce and cheese sauce on top and came with hot sauce. What to compare it with? Think, and I do not mean this in a bad way, Taco Bell but much better :) I will definitely eat the same thing again in the future. Oh, it was the type of burrito that you have to eat with a fork. They also had tacos (the corn shell kind) and chili on the menu.

"I just ate at Moonshine ... It was my first time to eat Mexican food there"

Since you're into experimenting with new places, I'd recommend trying Sam's.

Not well known, but very tasty and inexpensive Mex. food. I like the Enchirito and 12-inch Burrito.

One post removed, Not nice to talk about people behind their backs, please stop it.

Thanks! You are much nicer than I am. I was going to say something else :) In case any readers missed the point of this thread, here it is: please let us know what dish or dishes you like at any Mexican food place in Pattaya/Jomtien......no complaints......only positive comments. Why no complaints? Because we have done that over and over and over and over again. I, for one, would like to know what food items you like at various places. Thanks.

One post removed, Not nice to talk about people behind their backs, please stop it.

Thanks! You are much nicer than I am. I was going to say something else smile.png In case any readers missed the point of this thread, here it is: please let us know what dish or dishes you like at any Mexican food place in Pattaya/Jomtien......no complaints......only positive comments. Why no complaints? Because we have done that over and over and over and over again. I, for one, would like to know what food items you like at various places. Thanks.

Well, I am by no means an expert in this field but last week ate a "Hungry Hombre" at Mikes and it was to my taste fantastic. Just a mountain of delicious and totally unheatlhy stuff that left me unable to eat for 2 days to follow. I'll have it again just as soon as my blood pressure returns to normal.

post-64390-0-45277600-1326953449_thumb.j

I’m no expert on Mexican food but I liked the offerings at the Sunrise place in Jomtien , I had the pork carnita I think it was called with a mango salsa and my girl had a crispy chicken concoction , both dishes were flavourful and the salsa bar was a bonus. Also good were the two non-alcoholic drinks that are a special on the menu, mine was a tamarind based cocktail and my girl had the other one , mango base I think , delicious !

Stailmanke, I also had the pork carnitas taco at Sunrise Tacos and thought Great Stuff! As stated earlier, it was made with two soft corn tortillas. The salsa bar is a bonus (along with pumpkin pie). Also, Upnotover, thanks for posting that pic of "Hungry Hombre" at Mikes, something I really want to try now that I have seen a pic of it. I might take it home and make two meals out of it.

Although I no longer frequent Mike's anymore for personal reasons I cannot go into here, I used to be a huge fan of the Devil's chicken as well as the chicken taquitos. The margaritas are also quite good. I am posting this in the spirit of this thread although it almost pains me to post anything that would tempt someone to go visit this establishment.

Eaten at Tequila Reef many times and always enjoyed. Tacos, and ribs are excellent. And the salsa served with corn chips on arrival is also excellent. I haven't tried, but the Margaritas look good also. And judging by people ordering seconds I'd say this is a reasonable testament.

I don't profess to be a Mexican food expert. All I can say is that I always enjoyed my meals there.

Saw the new Mexican place at Jomtien the other day. Looks like a Mexican McDonalds.

Eaten at Tequila Reef many times and always enjoyed. Tacos, and ribs are excellent. And the salsa served with corn chips on arrival is also excellent. I haven't tried, but the Margaritas look good also. And judging by people ordering seconds I'd say this is a reasonable testament.

I don't profess to be a Mexican food expert. All I can say is that I always enjoyed my meals there.

Saw the new Mexican place at Jomtien the other day. Looks like a Mexican McDonalds.

What's the name of this "new" mexican restaurant in Jomtien? Would be most helpful for those that wanted to try it.

He is most likely refering to Sunrise Tacos and who cares how it looks if the food is good.

I am definitely going there to check it out this weekend. Being from California, the best mexican food is found in taco stands that look like motorhomes on wheels parked on the side of the road.

He is most likely refering to Sunrise Tacos and who cares how it looks if the food is good.

I am definitely going there to check it out this weekend. Being from California, the best mexican food is found in taco stands that look like motorhomes on wheels parked on the side of the road.

Actually, Sunrise Tacos has a mobile taqueria too in Jomtien. You may see it parked outside. Maybe I should not say it again, but the pork carnitas taco is really good stuff.......and, as a side note, ST probably has some of the best coffee in town and surely the best pumpkin pie.

Went to Sunrise tacos for the first time tonight and will surely be returning. At the suggestion of so many members I tried the pork carnitas tacos and they were great. I especially liked the bottomless chips and salsa bar. Many of the items at the bar come at a cost at some of the other restaurants mentioned here (not naming names as they might be a sponsor). The service was very friendly and accommodating and Gil (the owner) was even making the rounds saying hello to the customers. All and all a very pleasant experience. The place was clean and the food was tasty and the location was convenient to get to and park without a ton of weekend traffic. I also walked away with a delivery menu and I'm told they deliver all over pattaya (even the dark side) until 1am.

On my way home I passed by the mex spot on Soi Kowtalo and took a picture of the sign as well as inquired if they were still open and serving food. They said they had closed for the day and were closed Sunday's but would reopen again on Monday. Sorry if the picture is a little dark but it was the best my phone could do at night. The name is Red Palm bar and grill and they are around soi 12 on the left side before the 7/11.

post-32036-0-17784500-1327168307_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

I had a bit of a disappointing day today food wise. First I stopped at the new New York deli next to the Jomtiem Police box, interesting list of sandwiches, just finished my 90 day at Immigration, (in and out in 5 minutes 11:55 to 12:00). I ordered #2 on the sandwich menu (they have strange names and I don't remember what they were called) waitress told me sorry sir we don't have corned beef today, OK I said give me the Pastrami (#3 on menu), same answer not today come back on Friday should have it then. Now how can you have a New York deli without corned beef or pastrami? That should be illegal. LOL

I left and made my way to Mike's Mexican I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the menu but my favorite Mexican food that I have not found in any Mexican restaurant in Thailand was on the menu so I quickly ordered the Chili Rellenos but alas not me luck day waitress say sorry sir we don't have today.

Being ever so skeptical I asked if they ever have it and she said yes sometimes. Since Frugal Freddy is going to Cherry's International buffet dinner tonight I opted to eat lightly and choose the Jalapeno poppers and it was a good choice. A dozen wrapped slices of jalapeno's deep fried with a generous dish of sour cream mixture to put on them was only B110, the Margarita was B150, good but overpriced in my opinion.

After I paid my bill I asked the waitress if they might have Chili Rellenos tomorrow, she asked the cook and cook said I wanted she would make tomorrow so I made a 2pm appointment for tomorrow. (to be continued)

Senor Downer here:

Sunrise taco truck not parked at Avenue anymore

The Sunrise carnitas meat has gotten too sweet (cloying) tastes like a chef with a Thai palate is doing his thang. Especially poor when served with their mango sauce on top which has now become an explosion of SUGAR. About as Mexican tasting as a sherry trifle. Fixable stuff. Please report IF it is fixed.

Reports on the peppers for chile relleno at Mikes is they are not the proper peppers for this dish

Edited by Jingthing

I had a bit of a disappointing day today food wise. First I stopped at the new New York deli next to the Jomtiem Police box, interesting list of sandwiches, just finished my 90 day at Immigration, (in and out in 5 minutes 11:55 to 12:00). I ordered #2 on the sandwich menu (they have strange names and I don't remember what they were called) waitress told me sorry sir we don't have corned beef today, OK I said give me the Pastrami (#3 on menu), same answer not today come back on Friday should have it then. Now how can you have a New York deli without corned beef or pastrami? That should be illegal. LOL

I left and made my way to Mike's Mexican I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the menu but my favorite Mexican food that I have not found in any Mexican restaurant in Thailand was on the menu so I quickly ordered the Chili Rellenos but alas not me luck day waitress say sorry sir we don't have today.

Being ever so skeptical I asked if they ever have it and she said yes sometimes. Since Frugal Freddy is going to Cherry's International buffet dinner tonight I opted to eat lightly and choose the Jalapeno poppers and it was a good choice. A dozen wrapped slices of jalapeno's deep fried with a generous dish of sour cream mixture to put on them was only B110, the Margarita was B150, good but overpriced in my opinion.

After I paid my bill I asked the waitress if they might have Chili Rellenos tomorrow, she asked the cook and cook said I wanted she would make tomorrow so I made a 2pm appointment for tomorrow. (to be continued)

It does say on Mike's menu that the Chili Rellenos are not always available but it's good that they are making a special order for you. I've found the margaritas there to be the same price as other places but better.

Saturday night the visiting family enjoyed the burritos, tacos, chimichanga and nachos grande in Mike's washed down with a few beers and margaritas.

Glad that it's opened up again and is business as usual.