My Recent Mexican Food Journey

Awohalitsiktoli

I LOVE GUACAMOLE..........but do not have enough money in the bank to order it at Mexican restaurants here.........oooooopppppppssssssss, just violated the spirit of the thread I started......no complaints! It is interesting how emotional people get when talking about Mexican food. It is almost like a religious debate. All I want to get at is this: "In your opinion, what was the best dish you had at........." Some places make certain dishes much better than others. Thanks in advance for the posts.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of wish I could sneak in my own avocados (bought cheaply at the Royal Projects Market) to Sunrise Tacos to eat with the Mexican food there, but even I'm not quite the champion of cheapskate Charlies to pull that off (plus I reckon it's against the rules). For me, some plain soft avocado is a good enough substitute for guac.

Maybe someday a "corkage fee" for cados?

Edited by Jingthing

I kind of wish I could sneak in my own avocados (bought cheaply at the Royal Projects Market) to Sunrise Tacos to eat with the Mexican food there, but even I'm not quite the champion of cheapskate Charlies to pull that off (plus I reckon it's against the rules). For me, some plain soft avocado is a good enough substitute for guac.

Be careful, they may charge you ++ then ++ then ++ some more for the brought in Avacados, then again maybe not....you have mentioned their name so many times you are bound to get at least one freebie!giggle.gif

Be careful, they may charge you ++ then ++ then ++ some more for the brought in Avacados, then again maybe not....you have mentioned their name so many times you are bound to get at least one freebie!giggle.gif

I have received no special favors from said establishment. (Sadly!)

It would be funny to be arrested for sneaking in unauthorized avocados though.

Edited by Jingthing

Let's do a list of places with some "Mexican" food in the area and then people can say the positive things they feel they need to say about the dishes they like there, Kay?

To start the list:

Tequila Reef

Mike's Mexican

Blue Parrot

Purple Space Monkey

Lone Star BBQ

Sunrise Tacos

Sam's Mexican

Rich Man Poor Man

Please add the places I missed from the list.

Edited by Jingthing

Let's do a list of places with some "Mexican" food in the area and then people can say the positive things they feel they need to say about the dishes they like there, Kay?

To start the list:

Tequila Reef

Mike's Mexican

Blue Parrot

Purple Space Monkey

Lone Star BBQ

Sunrise Tacos

Sam's Mexican

Rich Man Poor Man

I'm surprised you haven't started a poll on the best Mexican places?

You're very welcome to start that one yourself! (I like there to be some mystery about the results.)

So this thread is open sailing for all the positive Mexican food comments now. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

You're very welcome to start that one yourself! (I like there to be some mystery about the results.)

So this thread is open sailing for all the positive Mexican food comments now. coffee1.gif

Unfortunately I'm not as much as an expert on polls as you JT.

Unfortunately I'm not as much as an expert on polls as you JT.

Well the first step is gathering the complete list of choices. I made a crack at a start. Let's hear the others ...

Decent quality, low priced, grown in Thailand jalapeno peppers (25 baht a bag I think) and avocados (3 smalls for 40 baht) for sale at the Royal Projects Market (across from Central food hall in the big mall). wai.gif

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Is that the small veggie market they have set up on some tables on the bottom floor of central festival just out side the tops supper market? I didn't realize they had jalapenos there. I will definitely have to go pick some up.

Edited by Jayman

To start the list:

Tequila Reef

Mike's Mexican

Blue Parrot

Purple Space Monkey

Lone Star BBQ

Sunrise Tacos

Sam's Mexican

Rich Man Poor Man

I think Bobs bbq also does some Mexican dishes as well.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by Jayman

For some reason I think I recall Bob's BBQ has closed. Yes they were/are (?) doing some Tex-Mex stylings. Can someone confirm they still exist (or not)?

Here's another one:

Pattaya Cantina

(in a small guesthouse between Soi Yensabai and 3rd road, South Pattaya)

http://www.thepattay.../Food-Menu.html

I would consider any place in town that has some kind of "Mexican" section on their menu to be in the running for the grand list. Maybe some are a stretch. Such as that sports bar on Naklua road that has a big sign with several kinds of cuisines including Mexican.

Edited by Jingthing

For some reason I think I recall Bob's BBQ has closed. Yes they were/are (?) doing some Tex-Mex stylings. Can someone confirm they still exist (or not)?

In all honesty it has been a while since I've ventured down there but it would be news to me if they were closed... They had a nice pulled pork sandwich.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My preference is to eat a small bowl of guacamole on its own before I fill up with tacos. As such at a leading Bangkok restaurant this costs 120 Baht.

See what a great bargain you are getting at 100 Baht a portion!

My preference is to eat a small bowl of guacamole on its own before I fill up with tacos. As such at a leading Bangkok restaurant this costs 120 Baht.

See what a great bargain you are getting at 100 Baht a portion!

Where in Pattaya is there guacamole for 100 baht a bowl? The other issue is real guac vs. cheap shortcut green mayonnaise guac which in my view is totally disgusting.

The Wild-Chicken is on Soi Post Office, a couple of doors off of 2nd road toward the beach, on the right (North) side of the soi. Had a burrito there awhile back - very tasty. The place is owned by a Brit and a nice guy. It's been there for many years.

So I guess you are saying the Wild Chicken still exists! Add to the list. I'm surprised I wasn't aware of that place.

Any more places with Mexican menu sections or more to add to the list?

Edited by Jingthing

Does chilli con carne at Jameson's count?

No.

I always thought chilli con carne was Mexican?

Edit: I meant ccc at Shennanigan's actually as it's not on the menu at Jameson's any more.

Please keep the silliness aspect down. Does a Russian restaurant which has spaghetti on the menu get listed as an Italian restaurant? Chile con carne has become one of those generic international menu items and no the kind of chile con carne you would get at such a place isn't Mexican food, but that's another story. For purposes of the list, I would say the rough MINIMUM would be a SECTION of the menu labeled Mexican. BTW, I think Shenanigans at the Avenue at least USED TO have such a section. Do they still? Not counting fajita nights.