My Recent Mexican Food Journey

Awohalitsiktoli

"So I guess you are saying the Wild Chicken still exists!"

Yes, I recall the owner saying he's been there over 20 years.

I'ts not exactly your flashy new colorfully lighted Bangkok style venue with ++ prices and 100 versions of Salsa . . . rolleyes.gif

A bit funky - open air - as much a bar as a restaurant - and sometimes a hangout for local expats. Much like some quaint places you might find on the back streets in Mexico.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For purposes of the list, I would say the rough MINIMUM would be a SECTION of the menu labeled Mexican. BTW, I think Shenanigans at the Avenue at least USED TO have such a section. Do they still? Not counting fajita nights.

yes they do http://www.shenaniganspattaya.com/PDF/2012%20Food%20Menu%20Pattaya.pdf and a taco night and margarita's so you can add them to the list.

I kind of wish I could sneak in my own avocados (bought cheaply at the Royal Projects Market) to Sunrise Tacos to eat with the Mexican food there, but even I'm not quite the champion of cheapskate Charlies to pull that off (plus I reckon it's against the rules). For me, some plain soft avocado is a good enough substitute for guac.

Maybe someday a "corkage fee" for cados?

My preference is to eat a small bowl of guacamole on its own before I fill up with tacos. As such at a leading Bangkok restaurant this costs 120 Baht.

See what a great bargain you are getting at 100 Baht a portion!

Where in Pattaya is there guacamole for 100 baht a bowl? The other issue is real guac vs. cheap shortcut green mayonnaise guac which in my view is totally disgusting.

A side order...I believe 100 Baht at Sunrise Tacos no?

For purposes of the list, I would say the rough MINIMUM would be a SECTION of the menu labeled Mexican. BTW, I think Shenanigans at the Avenue at least USED TO have such a section. Do they still? Not counting fajita nights.

yes they do http://www.shenaniga...u%20Pattaya.pdf and a taco night and margarita's so you can add them to the list.

Thanks, they don't promote that menu much since when they started it.

Shenanagins in the avenue has excellent mexican food. The got the chef from coyotee in Bangkok.

Is this based on a recent visit? I understand the origin was an offshoot of Coyotes but often such schemes involve chef consultant relationships, meaning not necessarily the same food/quality.

The Beefeater has a Mexican buffet on the weekends, no?

On that note.. the fajitas at beef eater are quite tasty actually. I haven't been there for some time now as I just couldn't enjoy my meal with all the smoking that was going on. Can any recent visitor there confirm if that has changed?

Decent quality, low priced, grown in Thailand jalapeno peppers (25 baht a bag I think) and avocados (3 smalls for 40 baht) for sale at the Royal Projects Market (across from Central food hall in the big mall). wai.gif

You rock JT. I was just in there and picked up the last bag of 25thb jalapeno's. I see now they have a proper store and not just selling things off of tables.

Edited by Jayman

Personally I appreciate hearing both the negative and the positive so that I can make an informed decision before visiting there myself. Why do we need 2 threads for such things?

There are cultural and legal issues with posting certain kinds of negative comments about restaurants in Thailand. Thus, there are no credible reviewers publishing in Thailand, in the western sense. If a reviewer wants to say the food is crap, they make comments on the nice decor and don't compliment the food. You need to learn to read between the lines, between the lines.

This is not the complaint thread, this is the compliments thread.

Personally I appreciate hearing both the negative and the positive so that I can make an informed decision before visiting there myself. Why do we need 2 threads for such things?

Because they usually turn into a pissing contest and an otherwise useful thread gets closed like the last one on Sunrise Tacos.

This is not the complaint thread, this is the compliments thread.

Because they usually turn into a pissing contest and an otherwise useful thread gets closed like the last one on Sunrise Tacos.

Sunrise Tacos is a sponsor here. As a sponsor, the owner is free to open a thread about his restaurant so he can both promote it and respond to feedback from the public. I sincerely hope he does so at a later time after the busy high season, in order to communicate with his expat customer off season base. Because indeed the last thread was closed, I think its up to the owner to reopen the topic, or not to.

There are cultural and legal issues with posting certain kinds of negative comments about restaurants in Thailand. Thus, there are no credible reviewers publishing in Thailand, in the western sense. If a reviewer wants to say the food is crap, they make comments on the nice decor and don't compliment the food. You need to learn to read between the lines, between the lines.

or just goto tripadvisor.com and read true reviews.

That's true but I really don't trust those very much at all. They tend to put places on the top of the list that local foodies would laugh at. Written by tourists for tourists, not to mention so many owner/fakers. What I mean are PROFESSIONAL reviewers or unbiased local foodie blogs that aren't afraid to tell it like it is.

I've had good chili con carne at Moonshine GH/bar in Jomtien Beach rd. soi 4.

There are other Tex/Mex dishes available also. biggrin.png

Thanks for that. Added to the list.

I think I will do a poll based on PP's suggestion for his benefit as he asked me to do it and seems reluctant to do it himself. Any other nominees?

That's true but I really don't trust those very much at all. They tend to put places on the top of the list that local foodies would laugh at. Written by tourists for tourists, not to mention so many owner/fakers. What I mean are PROFESSIONAL reviewers or unbiased local foodie blogs that aren't afraid to tell it like it is

Trip Advisor is a mixture of real positive and negative reviews, fake positive reviews by the owners and fake negative reviews by competitors and other enemies..IMO a majority of the restaurants at the top of the list have very prolific reviewer/owners.

I am waiting for something, but not sure what it is smile.png The suspense is killing me smile.png

Don't get too excited. I am only planning to compile the Mexican restaurants in a list and poll people to choose which one is their favorite. (As suggested by PP according to my reading of his request.) Would you like additional questions asked?

I have decided to cover all Pattaya, Jomtien, Naklua only in this. I don't have any choice for Naklua. For Naklua, I only have that sports bar on Naklua road that offers some "Mexican" along with many other national cuisines. Does anyone know the name of that sports bar? If not, I may include it just calling it the Naklua road sports bar. I don't have any choice for east Pattaya. I recall a while back there was a Mexican restaurant there, but haven't heard about it in awhile, forget its name, so not sure they are still in business. Can anyone update? If not, it won't be included.

Edited by Jingthing

I am waiting for something, but not sure what it is smile.png The suspense is killing me smile.png

Don't get too excited. I am only planning to compile the Mexican restaurants in a list and poll people to choose which one is their favorite. (As suggested by PP according to my reading of his request.) Would you like additional questions asked?

I have decided to cover all Pattaya, Jomtien, Naklua only in this. I don't have any choice for Naklua. For Naklua, I only have that sports bar on Naklua road that offers some "Mexican" along with many other national cuisines. Does anyone know the name of that sports bar? If not, I may include it just calling it the Naklua road sports bar. I don't have any choice for east Pattaya. I recall a while back there was a Mexican restaurant there, but haven't heard about it in awhile, forget its name, so not sure they are still in business. Can anyone update? If not, it won't be included.

The poll is fine.......I have nothing special to add, but for me it will not be easy because "my favorite" varies and is dependent on a specific dish. For example, for a pork carnitas taco I vote Sunrise Tacos, but for a cheese enchilada I vote Mikes, etc. I will have to think long and hard about an overall favorite.

Last call for suggestions for names of local MEXICAN restaurants or any restaurant which has at least a MEXICAN food section on their menu ...

post-37101-0-88808200-1326722747_thumb.j

What about Big Al's? Are any of his locations still open? He used to have a taco stand across from Big C (north) as well as off of Soi Bukow near Metro area.

There is a bar on Soi Kownoi called the ugly mexican or something and I have never been in but my guess is maybe they serve mexican food?

EDIT:: come to think of it, it might be called fat mexican which is why I assumed they served food.

Also, on Soi Kowtalo is a mexican restaurant around soi 12 but I have never been in there either and can't remember the name. I might be getting the soi it's close to wrong as well... smile.png

Edited by Jayman

Having never eaten mexican food I was talked into going down to Sunrise Taco last Saturday morning for breakfast, got there at 10:15 only to be turned away and told not open until 11:00 yet the large sign outside proudly proclaims open from sunrise to sunset" am I missing something or does the sun not rise in Mexico until 11am? Oh well thats another one off the list .

Last call for suggestions for names of local MEXICAN restaurants or any restaurant which has at least a MEXICAN food section on their menu ...

post-37101-0-88808200-1326722747_thumb.j

What about Big Al's? Are any of his locations still open? He used to have a taco stand across from Big C (north) as well as off of Soi Bukow near Metro area.

I don't think so. Will not be including Big Als.

Having never eaten mexican food I was talked into going down to Sunrise Taco last Saturday morning for breakfast, got there at 10:15 only to be turned away and told not open until 11:00 yet the large sign outside proudly proclaims open from sunrise to sunset" am I missing something or does the sun not rise in Mexico until 11am? Oh well thats another one off the list .

Your loss!

Sunrise to Sunset is silly as that would mean they aren't open at night as of course they are. I thought they were open 24 hours or at least that was the idea upon opening. Apparently not. Thanks for the schedule update.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry, this is getting way too vague. Either supply restaurant names or they aren't going on the list.

Not sure if you quoted the wrong post and that was meant for me but I'll do a drive by tomorrow and get the names of both the bar on Soi Kownoi and the restaurant on Soi Kowtalo. I originally posted it in hopes that another member would read it and chime in with more details....

Edited by Jayman

There is a bar on Soi Kownoi called the ugly mexican or something and I have never been in but my guess is maybe they serve mexican food?

EDIT:: come to think of it, it might be called fat mexican which is why I assumed they served food.

Also, on Soi Kowtalo is a mexican restaurant around soi 12 but I have never been in there either and can't remember the name. I might be getting the soi it's close to wrong as well... smile.png

Sorry, this is getting way too vague. Either supply restaurant names or they aren't going on the list. Somebody has go to make the hard decisions. If you don't like it, start the poll before I do. Anyone is most welcome to do that.