Yingluck Calls On The Young To Be Wise, Disciplined

Lite Beer

Yingluck calls on the young to be wise, disciplined

The Nation on Sunday

30173765-01_big.jpg

Knowledge, wisdom and discipline are some of the qualities adults expect to see in children, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday as she explained her motto for this year's Children's Day: "Unity, Knowledge, Wisdom, Thainess and Technology Savvy".

Yingluck explained that the new generation should learn how to use technology correctly and added that research abroad had shown that investment in a child's education can bring an 18-fold return. She told parents that this investment takes time to mature - like growing a strong tree from a small seed. The prime minister said the government's "One Tablet PC per Child" scheme would start with Grade 1 students and help youngsters get acquainted with information technology in a proper manner.

"Unity should be reinforced since people are still young. They should have compassion and kindness for friends who are in trouble. They should learn to be grateful," she said, adding that children should be given the chance to seek knowledge outside the classroom.

"I want to see youths value Thai identity, including the charming characteristics of Thai culture and society. I want them to be proud of being Thai," she said.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said the military hoped to see strong young people who are obedient to their parents and follow the law so they can help develop the country.

"Everybody, especially parents, expect to see good children who

are obedient and respectful," he said, before leaving the gathering to attend to business in the North.

Deputy army chief General Dapong Rattanasuwan said he hoped to see Thai children grow up to be disciplined people, like Japanese children. "I am not saying this because

I'm a soldier, but I believe that people should be disciplined and respect the rule of law so the country does not become a mess. Don't teach children that breaking the law is acceptable," Dapong warned parents.

Deputy House Speaker Charoen Jankomol, after presiding over Children's Day events at Parliament House, said children are the most important resource and should be allowed to grow so they can use their wisdom to develop the country sustainably.

At an event at the Thai-Japan Youth Centre, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra called on the young to be good and move with changes in society and become good citizens.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-15

The prime minister said the government's "One Tablet PC per Child" scheme would start with Grade 1 students and help youngsters get acquainted with information technology in a proper manner.

Abysmal performance.

600 tablets to selected 1st grade students.... out of the 11,000,000 tablets promised in the election campaign.

• Like 1

I see nothing new here. And what's with this "Thainess" business? Be disciplined and respectful implies follow and don't question your superiors / leaders, even if they are stupid, dishonest or corrupt?

And why does she quote overseas research to push for the use of tablet PC's? Educationally, Western societies have vastly different ideas about education than does Thailand, which involves mainly rote learning and cramming in facts to pass entrance exams.

"I want to see youths value Thai identity, including the charming characteristics of Thai culture and society. I want them to be proud of being Thai," she said.

Hasn't Thailand done enough nation building? Aren't Thais already proud enough? Godda_mn. They've got that part down already. I've NEVER met a Thai who wasn't outwardly proud to be Thai irrespective of any lack of positive contribution he/she had made to Thai society... It doesn't take much to be proud. Why not focus on other stuff to get this country moving faster in the proper direction?

The general telling parents not to teach kids that breaking the law is OK, is ... worthless if it's not generally reinforced by the whole of the society. I suppose it's a start and that some Thais in positions of authority are trying to do the right thing, but they need much more help. They have to tip the societal balance in favor of honor and merit and such. Good luck to them.

Edited by ThailandMan

I mean, every-so-often I get infuriated FOR Thai people. I'm not talking about the the Thai leadership (many of whom are really Chinese immigrants -- a little off the point), but I'm talking about everyday Thais who likely haven't a clue as to what is really going on in their country and in the world.

These 'leaders' just continuously peddle this 'Thainess' pride bullsh!t as if that should be any average Thai's main focus. It's ridiculous. It's almost as if they are so well aware of the fact that the leadership in this country, while increasingly draining the country dry of all it's wealth, will do nothing to actually improve the standing of Thais in the country and world that they are preparing the populace with the only thing they'll have: pride. They certainly won't have better schools, or teachers who are willing to accept that they may be doing something sub optimal or even wrong. They certainly don't have a government who seems to really care about what transpires in this country and to its people. They don't seem likely to rid themselves of the pseudo-caste BS with their worship of the Chinese immigrants and light skin anytime soon.

She is telling people to be proud because she knows that it ALL they will have. As if pride will resolve all the deeply rooted problems in Thailand.

Newsflash, Thai Leadership: Pride comes with accomplishment and with deeper understand of your fellow man, country, region and world. It comes from generally understanding right and wrong and acting honorably. It comes from scholarship. It comes from respect of other (non-Thais). It comes from tackling issues within Thailand that will allow people to live better, happier, safer, more fulfilled (and perhaps even richer) lives. That's REAL pride.

I met a young kid recently. He actually walked up to me. He was Thai but spoke English quite well, and I think he was a little outgoing (or perhaps just wanted to practice his English) :) We chatted for awhile. He was a very mature kid and seemed quite smart. When I asked him if he'd visited any English speaking countries, he said that he hadn't. He was only 11 years old or so. He also spoke some Korean. I asked him if he'd ever been to Korea, and he said that he hadn't yet. I said Korea is great. You'll love it -- esp because you'll speak Korean so well. His reply, almost as if programmed, was:

Kid: "maybe, I'll go. Maybe not."

Me: "Why maybe not? You speak so well. Don't you think it will be fun?"

Kid: "I don't know. I like Thailand."

Me: (sensing the faulty wiring in this kid's head) "Yeah, Thailand is great. That's why I'm here."

Kid: "I just really love Thailand so much, so if I go other countries, that's fine. But, if not, I can be happy just staying in Thailand."

I was flabbergasted. Here is this kid who is apparently well-educated, whose father (nearby) seemed quite well-off (late model S-series Benz, well put together) and who, at 11 years old, spoke English fluently and who was also learning Korean ... but who somehow had such a nationalistic pride instilled in him (the type of nationalistic pride that un- or undereducated kids/people usually have) that he felt the need to express to me a total stranger in the middle of a casual, fun conversation that he was so proud to be Thai that he might not care to go to other countries despite the fact he was learning non-Thai languages.

My brother has instructed me to tell you all that he is the role model for our current administration and thus the Thai people too.

two-faced.jpg

Edited by siampolee

In this day of world wide communication, all we can do is present the choice/chance to the younger generation to learn to take advantage of the varied information that is avalible to them. Disapline of the population, young and old is determined by those who have the most influence on either group. Wisedom comes from positive role models, experience, learning, observation, and the application of these influences to contribute to society.

This proposal and who is making it indicates, how far out of touch, the PM is with the responsibility/role model of parents, teachers, government, etc that the upcoming generation need to have any chance of reaching the social/educational goals.

Hasn't Thailand done enough nation building? Aren't Thais already proud enough? Godda_mn. They've got that part down already. I've NEVER met a Thai who wasn't outwardly proud to be Thai irrespective of any lack of positive contribution he/she had made to Thai society... It doesn't take much to be proud. Why not focus on other stuff to get this country moving faster in the proper direction?

The general telling parents not to teach kids that breaking the law is OK, is ... worthless if it's not generally reinforced by the whole of the society. I suppose it's a start and that some Thais in positions of authority are trying to do the right thing, but they need much more help. They have to tip the societal balance in favor of honor and merit and such. Good luck to them.

While themselves being the biggest crooks around......... can you even spell hypocritical??

• Like 1

I see nothing new here. And what's with this "Thainess" business? Be disciplined and respectful implies follow and don't question your superiors / leaders, even if they are stupid, dishonest or corrupt?

And why does she quote overseas research to push for the use of tablet PC's? Educationally, Western societies have vastly different ideas about education than does Thailand, which involves mainly rote learning and cramming in facts to pass entrance exams.

It may suprise you to learn that western societies do not have all the answers that are relevant to Thailands questions. Maybe somewhere nearer with a similar "problem" would have useful input to share, such as India, who have just launched a low cost tablet computer to end the "digital divide"

"The rich have access to the digital world, the poor and ordinary have been excluded. Aakash will end that digital divide," Telecoms and Education Minister Kapil Sibal said.

http://www.reuters.c...E7940YV20111005

It has its critics, sure, saying the touch screen is not sensitive enough (being resistive to cut down costs) and is slow (no quad core intel here) but if you've never had access to the latest iPad who are the critics to complain if it provides access to information (e.g ebooks) that would otherwise be impossible.

Is it good enough?

We're guessing it doesn't have quite enough under the hood and in the OS yet to deliver a tablet experience many U.S. consumers will find attractive, even at $50. On the other hand, $50 for the Internet, email, and video on a decent-sized screen isn't anything to sneeze at.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2394196,00.asp

Now if India can do it (with the help of a British company), I'm pretty sure that they can provide expertise and development knowledge for the Thai version. Maybe even a good trade deal could be made.

I'm sure a few of the old skool dinosaurs behind the scenes will pour scorn on the idea (and certain posters on here will pour scorn on anything this government does) and do their best to blow the idea out of the window any way they can - I mean we don't want the poor to have access to outside information do we, could upset the old order of things, next thing you know they'll be wanting their own choice of government in.

As for belittling the number of tablets provided to date - at least they have started the process, which is more than any recent "caring' government has done.

• Like 2

It may suprise you to learn that western societies do not have all the answers that are relevant to Thailands questions. Maybe somewhere nearer with a similar "problem" would have useful input to share, such as India, who have just launched a low cost tablet computer to end the "digital divide"

"The rich have access to the digital world, the poor and ordinary have been excluded. Aakash will end that digital divide," Telecoms and Education Minister Kapil Sibal said.

It has its critics, sure, saying the touch screen is not sensitive enough (being resistive to cut down costs) and is slow (no quad core intel here) but if you've never had access to the latest iPad who are the critics to complain if it provides access to information (e.g ebooks) that would otherwise be impossible.

Is it good enough?

We're guessing it doesn't have quite enough under the hood and in the OS yet to deliver a tablet experience many U.S. consumers will find attractive, even at $50. On the other hand, $50 for the Internet, email, and video on a decent-sized screen isn't anything to sneeze at.

Now if India can do it (with the help of a British company), I'm pretty sure that they can provide expertise and development knowledge for the Thai version. Maybe even a good trade deal could be made.

I'm sure a few of the old skool dinosaurs behind the scenes will pour scorn on the idea (and certain posters on here will pour scorn on anything this government does) and do their best to blow the idea out of the window any way they can - I mean we don't want the poor to have access to outside information do we, could upset the old order of things, next thing you know they'll be wanting their own choice of government in.

As for belittling the number of tablets provided to date - at least they have started the process, which is more than any recent "caring' government has done.

It's just a pity that the funding for school clothes and texts had to be drained for what could be a pie-in-the-sky. That policy was from the recent caring government (and funded) so it had to go (of course).

Here's an idea. why doesn't the Peoples Party scrap the Rice Scam and use the foreseen huge loss for education.

Irony : Yingluk (a known perjurer) says "Do as I say, not as I do!" What a role model - "You, too, can be PM. All you need is a corrupt billionaire brother, a nice smile, and learn how to fake sincerity."

It is just more of the Nationalistic Indoctrination that has been a central part of creating a 'Thai National Identity' from the melting pot of cultures that is the real identity of the crossroads that is Thailand. They can't seem to break away from the 60-80 years old indoctrination put in place after the founding fathers decided Siam was not to continue.

• Like 1

What the heck ?

On Childrens' Day, the PM and a General are reported to tell Thai kids to be good kids, parents to be good parents, to adopt some basic buddhist principles, toss in a dash of tech-savy message, and people are complaining?

As for the Thai-ness and pride in country, I wonder if the posters decrying this come from countries which teach the kids not to be proud of their country and their heritage???

This is not a political piece, it is just a nice, "feel-good" story.

What the heck ?

On Childrens' Day, the PM and a General are reported to tell Thai kids to be good kids, parents to be good parents, to adopt some basic buddhist principles, toss in a dash of tech-savy message, and people are complaining?

As for the Thai-ness and pride in country, I wonder if the posters decrying this come from countries which teach the kids not to be proud of their country and their heritage???

Why is it that you, without exception, defend all things Thai whether good or bad? If you don't mind, would you look at my post(s), and tell me if you disagree with me, and lay out your reasons?

Often your posts are intelligent, so I can't imagine that you are one of those people who will ignore truths that just may not happen to favor what Thais or Thai leadership does in Thailand.

To answer your question, I am from America. I can recall being put through all various forms of why "America is the greatest country on Earth" in school in the early years. Yes, it certainly does happen in countries other than Thailand. So, does this admission make any less valid my arguments with respect to Thailand?

Plus, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, American pride has a pretty decent leg to stand on. I don't want to turn this thing into a X Country vs. Thailand debate because it would be endless and not likely productive. But, com'mon, man. Don't you live in Thailand? Don't you think that ultra-nationalistic pride should be based on something intelligible/respectable? And, more to the point, don't you think they have enough and that the leader of their nation should be promoting perhaps something other than raw, often baseless pride?

How about these topics? You gotta earn it. I did take these from a website discussing American exceptionialism, and, yes, I do feel that I can argue why I have a lot to be proud of being from such an elite country, but that's still not the point, is it? I'm doing just fine and can compete with most any in my group in any country on the planet. I can control with great flexibility how comfortable or uncomfortable I want my life to be. 99% of Thais don't need blind pride. They need education, and understanding (of themselves first and later of the world around them and how they are seen). They need a culture built on honesty and decency and caring for fellow man. They need a respect for people who are not Thai. And so on and so on. They do not need pride. Pride is often cheap.

10. Entertainment

9. Immigration

8. Technology

7. Creating Wealth

6. Generosity

5. Human Achievement

4. Enlightened Power

3. Medicine

2. Democracy

1. Freedoms

Interested to read your reply.

EDIT: And it's not just a feel good story, for sure. What you take so lightly ostensibly as good intent on the part of Yingluck/her administration could in fact be the end result of well veiled dominance through a reinforcement of cultural and national ignorance as to the reasons for their poverty and plight in the world. It's fine if you acknowledge all this but just want to take a break because it's Sunday and you had a nice day, that's fine. But, please don't pretend there are not deeper issues here.

Edited by ThailandMan
  • Like 1

Is it good enough?

I will admit the tablets could be a help to educating the kids. The problem being they will not be used to help they will be used to replace learning. For example ask a Thai what two plus six is they will grab a calculator. They have no choice they were never tought to add much less multiply divide and subtract.

Teach them the A,B, Cs and then give them some thing to help them.

There understanding of computers now is how to play games. That is exactly what they will use them for.

They have never been tought the value of education.

It is just more of the Nationalistic Indoctrination that has been a central part of creating a 'Thai National Identity' from the melting pot of cultures that is the real identity of the crossroads that is Thailand. They can't seem to break away from the 60-80 years old indoctrination put in place after the founding fathers decided Siam was not to continue.

Nailed it 100%!!!!

What the heck ?

Try watching the film "They Live"

What the heck ?

Why is it that you, without exception, defend all things Thai whether good or bad? If you don't mind, would you look at my post(s), and tell me if you disagree with me, and lay out your reasons?

Often your posts are intelligent, so I can't imagine that you are one of those people who will ignore truths that just may not happen to favor what Thais or Thai leadership does in Thailand.

To answer your question, I am from America. I can recall being put through all various forms of why "America is the greatest country on Earth" in school in the early years. Yes, it certainly does happen in countries other than Thailand. So, does this admission make any less valid my arguments with respect to Thailand?

Plus, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, American pride has a pretty decent leg to stand on. I don't want to turn this thing into a X Country vs. Thailand debate because it would be endless and not likely productive. But, com'mon, man. Don't you live in Thailand? Don't you think that ultra-nationalistic pride should be based on something intelligible/respectable? And, more to the point, don't you think they have enough and that the leader of their nation should be promoting perhaps something other than raw, often baseless pride?

How about these topics? You gotta earn it. I did take these from a website discussing American exceptionialism, and, yes, I do feel that I can argue why I have a lot to be proud of being from such an elite country, but that's still not the point, is it? I'm doing just fine and can compete with most any in my group in any country on the planet. I can control with great flexibility how comfortable or uncomfortable I want my life to be. 99% of Thais don't need blind pride. They need education, and understanding (of themselves first and later of the world around them and how they are seen). They need a culture built on honesty and decency and caring for fellow man. They need a respect for people who are not Thai. And so on and so on. They do not need pride. Pride is often cheap.

10. Entertainment

9. Immigration

8. Technology

7. Creating Wealth

6. Generosity

5. Human Achievement

4. Enlightened Power

3. Medicine

2. Democracy

1. Freedoms

Interested to read your reply.

You are right on. My wife Is so proud of being Thai yet she can not give one example of what Thailand has to offer she was brought up to be proud and never given a reason as to why.

In her mind if it is not Thai it is second rate. this leads to problems when I am traveling outside the country. One time in Bali we found a good Thai restaurant. She liked it but said they were missing some thing next year she took them some Thai package mixes.

I don't try to change her mind that would be hopeless and lead to nothing but disharmony. I respect her beliefs and she mine.

I can find more than enough here to enjoy with out making it out to be some thing it is not.

• Like 1

What the heck ?

Tiansford, Yingluck will never be a mother Teresa, the childrens day show was MAYBE well meant and I agree her words were sweetmouthed to the kids, meant to sound good to the media, You attacking posters again, who actually were saying __HEY Yingluck, practice what you preach. When a primeminister is attending any function it is political if she is doing one thing and asking the kids to do another. your well meant posts are frequently bashed, Why??

I will admit the tablets could be a help to educating the kids. The problem being they will not be used to help they will be used to replace learning. For example ask a Thai what two plus six is they will grab a calculator. They have no choice they were never tought to add much less multiply divide and subtract.

Teach them the A,B, Cs and then give them some thing to help them.

There understanding of computers now is how to play games. That is exactly what they will use them for.

They have never been tought the value of education.

It's a low cost computer likely with graphics just about able enough to produce decent looking illustrations and pdf docs and mybe the odd video. The kids are not likely to be playing Elder Scrolls VS Skyrim 14 on it!

Edited by phiphidon

What the heck ?

Tiansford, Yingluck will never be a mother Teresa, the childrens day show was MAYBE well meant and I agree her words were sweetmouthed to the kids, meant to sound good to the media, You attacking posters again, who actually were saying __HEY Yingluck, practice what you preach. When a primeminister is attending any function it is political if she is doing one thing and asking the kids to do another. your well meant posts are frequently bashed, Why??

you are right, here I am "attacking" (or maybe just reprimanding) the posters. At the least it was my observation. But seriously - Childrens' Day - the PM, the president, etc are going to have some official function for the kids. They will have a good message for the kids. It is a day for the kids, it will be reported. It is *not* a political story.

People too often have nothing more to do than attack people they don't like for any reason at all. At a 'drop of a hat' as it were.

Of course the PM is not an angel, and the General - no idea what he has done - but it is a day for the kids and the adults - including the leaders of the country - were sending them a good message (based on Thai / Buddhist culture) --- is there anyone who seriously thinks the message was wrong?

And the message was tuned for the kids, not for the media. I'm pretty sure that neither the PM nor the general were too worried about how the media would interpret their words to the kids.

What the heck ?

Yes, I agree with you.

It's astonishing how this can be criticised.

Sad on TV.