New Windows In Old Wall

Hssl

A few home improvements to the house.......to help air flow

I want to put in another aluminium window (1.3M/1.9 x 1M approx) into the lounge and the second bedroom.

The bungalow is typical Thai cinder block (it block) with concrete beams every 4M, steel frame for the cement tile roof .

Is a concrete lintel needed?

TIA

H

It depends on your existing structure as to the position of any eaves or wall beams.

What the height of the window frame will be in relation to the above.

The actual window frame position in some circumstances can be strong enough.

For example if the window frames finish, is more or less below an existing support beam.

Indeed ^^^.

You need something to hold up the blocks above the window, since the wall is not load bearing a simple lightweight concrete or steel lintel will do the trick, wood would work but not recommended in the local conditions.

Pretty clear Kwasaki, although I'll bet 90% of windows would conform to Example 1.

Looks like our OP needs to come back with some sketches and dimensions.

Roughly how much blockwork above the frame (aluminium in this case) would you consider OK without a lintel?

Of course, having a lintel when none is really required is far better than not having one when it is required :)

Pretty clear Kwasaki, although I'll bet 90% of windows would conform to Example 1.

Looks like our OP needs to come back with some sketches and dimensions.

Roughly how much blockwork above the frame (aluminium in this case) would you consider OK without a lintel?

Of course, having a lintel when none is really required is far better than not having one when it is required smile.png

Yep is always good to have a sketch of some kind, it's pretty easy to do on " paint " or similar programs.

The trouble with building is there is so many ways to go about construction, for me when I can see it or survey it, you can easily go about the works, it must be the same for you with electricals.

Any amount of blockwork above an aluminium window frame I personally would use a lintel.

I would say it's a matter of getting your measurement right in the first place, if you want to look out the window. biggrin.png

We had thick old hardwood frame which you have to drill, to get a nail into, so in some cases we have built a course of blocks across the top of this, anymore than that we put a lintel.

Edited by Kwasaki