Best Farang Friendly Nightclub In Bangkok

rusty1976

Hi, thinking of flying to bangkok for my birthday, 5 nights stay...

What's the best nightclub in Bangkok at the moment, techno, dance... Not worried about working girls, more for the atmosphere and vibe.

Thanks.

Dunno which part of the uk you live in but if you are after a good might out (in club terms) stayI the uk spend the airfare/hotel on accelerants.

OR go to Europe somewhere.

OR accept that any club experience in thailand is going to be lame and shit-can the whole clubbing thing and just go out and have a laugh wherever.

The clubbing experience is just will not be comparable to Europe. That being said, try LED in the RCA entertainment area or there is a new club opening on Suk Soi 11 called Levels (supposedly the owners are the same who recently produced the Edition Bangkok festival that featured Armen VanBuuren and Avecii).

If you're just coming here for the club scene, then don't. It's not all that great unless you're looking to pick up the working girls and have more of a "Ron Jeremy" vacation. What with the current terror treat and all.....I'd look for someplace else.

Assuming you will turn 36 soon and got some 15+ years of nightlife on your watch already: Forget Bangkok, seriously!

If you are flexible, fly to Saigon / Ho Chi Min and go to the legendary APOCALYPSE NOW, or fly to Jakarta and go to RED SQUARE.

BedSupperClub is still hip but boring as hell, QBar full of "handbags" (freelancing hookers), GLOW is unfortunately empty always, RCA Road is primarely for Thai kids in groups in their early early 20th and KaoSanRoad for me a no go area (as a resident)...

Good Luck!

Edited by canardo
  • Like 1

Assuming you will turn 36 soon and got some 15+ years of nightlife on your watch already: Forget Bangkok, seriously!

If you are flexible, fly to Saigon / Ho Chi Min and go to the legendary APOCALYPSE NOW, or fly to Jakarta and go to RED SQUARE.

BedSupperClub is still hip but boring as hell, QBar full of "handbags" (freelancing hookers), GLOW is unfortunately empty always, RCA Road is primarely for Thai kids in groups in their early early 20th and KaoSanRoad for me a no go area (as a resident)...

Good Luck!

Apocalypse Now, are you joking? It was apocalyptically bad even 10 years ago, but now... And never really a nightclub, more of a bar where a few people will occasionally dance. Boring as hell, filled with Vietnamese hookers who are waaaaay more pushy, businesslike, costly and full of tricks than Thai ones, and with expensive drinks by Viet standards. Apocalypse Now may have been Now before about 1990, but today abagofchips would be more enjoyable. Try finding decent nightclubs (in the western sense) anywhere in Southeast Asia. They don't exist. They do in North Asia though (Japan especially, also Korea and now increasingly in China too...)

Basically you are going to find three types of clubs.

1st type; Thai-oriented. They will be in the standard Thai style of a big room filled with tables which people congregate around and do a little shuffle dance, drink, and sing along to the band. The band will be playing Thai pop songs generally but every so often when they take a break, they will play some western style hip hop. Foreigners can go and you will often see some, but due to the music being mostly in Thai., not so many. There is generally no cover, but most people buy bottles of whiskey for their table (40-65 us dollar). You can tell who the foreigners are because they will be the ones with the individual drinks looking around wide eyed. These clubs can range from an upper-class crowd (Thong Lo soi 10, Ekkamai) to a more common Thai crowd (Ratchada, some RCA places.) Very little to no working girls at the upper-class ones, but snobby as well.

2nd type; "Mixed". These clubs are generally trying to keep the market open to anyone while maintaining a reputation. The physical set-up is the same. Individual tables, no real "dance floor", most people getting bottles. The will play non-Thai music (hip hop, electronica, etc..), with an occasional band/dj on special nights. Mixed crowd of foreigners and Thais. Freelancers can be found mixed into the crowd here. Sometimes there are cover charges. These are the types I frequent most often b/c of the music.

3rd type; "After hours" They are open late for only one reason; to give everyone a back up plan. These places usually get going after midnight and will stay open till 5-6 depending on if they have provided the proper tea money and who the current "big boss" is in the police department. Music is western and loud. Most people are drunk. Girls will be everywhere, but impossible to tell who is and isn't working without asking them, but its best to assume the former. Sometimes there is a cover. More people buy individual drinks here as they have probably been drinking for a while and even drunks can have a sense of conscience to not buy a new bottle of whiskey at 4 am (although many still will to impress).

You can have fun at any of these places to be honest. It just depends on you, and the people you are with and the crowd that night. If you want names of clubs, let me know.

Girls will be everywhere, but impossible to tell who is and isn't working without asking them, but its best to assume the former.

Really, you recommend ASSUMING a girl is a hooker? I can see how you must start a conversation. "1000 baht short time, we go my loom".

• Like 1

Good Luck!

Apocalypse Now, are you joking? It was apocalyptically bad even 10 years ago, but now... And never really a nightclub, more of a bar where a few people will occasionally dance. Boring as hell, filled with Vietnamese hookers who are waaaaay more pushy, businesslike, costly and full of tricks than Thai ones, and with expensive drinks by Viet standards. Apocalypse Now may have been Now before about 1990, but today abagofchips would be more enjoyable. Try finding decent nightclubs (in the western sense) anywhere in Southeast Asia. They don't exist. They do in North Asia though (Japan especially, also Korea and now increasingly in China too...)

Well, Apo might be a bit outdated but still great party going on there. Sure "handbags" are everywhere in Asia, but in Apo not only, easy tomake new friends, just buy a bottle of Vodka or so, get a table and rock on...

NO, if I could chose every weekend where to go, places like Apo or Red Square versus the good old clubs back home in Europe, I would beam myself over every given Saturday, but this is not the way yet.

Girls will be everywhere, but impossible to tell who is and isn't working without asking them, but its best to assume the former.

Really, you recommend ASSUMING a girl is a hooker? I can see how you must start a conversation. "1000 baht short time, we go my loom".

LOL. That's how most of the people who post in Thaivisa seem to think. They have some odd idea that 90% of thai women are prostitutes. Many of them seem to spend their whole time frequenting areas full of prostitutes and so assume that the whole of Bangkok and the whole of Thailand is just like their extremely limited experienced. There is so much drivel posted on this forum that it's probably best to assume that what the person is saying is the complete opposite of reality. These people need to get out and about and meet a wider cross-section of the Thai population.

• Like 1

Better than investing a few hours of witty repartee and buying her drinks, only to find out it was wasted and all you needed as a thousand or so and a heatbeat...

Better than investing a few hours of witty repartee and buying her drinks, only to find out it was wasted and all you needed as a thousand or so and a heatbeat...

If it takes you a few hours of buying drinks to chat up a girl, then you're doing it all wrong. A few minutes is all it takes and no need to buy anything. Also, no need for you to even go to a club if all your want is a cheap prostitute. Plenty of those around that you can pick up.

The most farang friendly clubs in Thailand are the ones where there aren't any other farang wink.png

If you're expecting european style club music, that isn't popular here so most Thai clubs don't have it. Some of the farang places do. Personally I much prefer Thai style clubs where you are at a table and there is a live band or performance over western style clubs.

• Like 1

you obviously have not spent much time in after hours clubs in Bangkok and are just jumping on this guy out of some sense of misplaced political correctness.

Whether you like it or not, a significant proportion of the women at many of these clubs are brass, though certainly not all.

On the topic, check out 808 in RCA can be great if someone is playing. Bed, Qbar occasionally have decent names in, but check the night, if you get it wrong you could happen upon beds gay night, or far worse hip hop night, joeki or even octo at q bar.

Insomnia can certainly be interest, again, the DJ is the key here, if it is one of the the thai staff DJs it can be very painful.

Names to look for playing around town are G-rom, Dj Emmanuel, Eddie Frampton, Stuart, St Vincent, Fred (Mumbo?) something. There are also plenty of good Thai Djs out there.

I know believe it or not Liquid in Nana can be quite good as well especially if Emanuel is playing.

The scene has become quite fragmented over the years.

The after hours, shock, bossy, spicey etc can all be quite good, but the govt has been shutting them down of late. not sure if this is still the case. Fate inflicted fatherhood upon me so i am not out nearly as often as i was.

cheers

• Like 1

you obviously have not spent much time in after hours clubs in Bangkok and are just jumping on this guy out of some sense of misplaced political correctness.

Whether you like it or not, a significant proportion of the women at many of these clubs are brass, though certainly not all.

On the topic, check out 808 in RCA can be great if someone is playing. Bed, Qbar occasionally have decent names in, but check the night, if you get it wrong you could happen upon beds gay night, or far worse hip hop night, joeki or even octo at q bar.

Insomnia can certainly be interest, again, the DJ is the key here, if it is one of the the thai staff DJs it can be very painful.

Names to look for playing around town are G-rom, Dj Emmanuel, Eddie Frampton, Stuart, St Vincent, Fred (Mumbo?) something. There are also plenty of good Thai Djs out there.

I know believe it or not Liquid in Nana can be quite good as well especially if Emanuel is playing.

The after hours, shock, bossy, spicey etc can all be quite good, but the govt has been shutting them down of late. not sure if this is still the case. Fate inflicted fatherhood upon me so i am not out nearly as often as i was.

cheers

So you're saying that if we are in a situation where there are a large number of prostitutes that we should just assume everyone is a prostitute? I think it is better to assume the other way around. Non-prostitutes can easily get offended if you assume they are prostitutes. Why not find out instead of assuming. So can we assume that the mother of your child is a prostitute? After all, that is how you are telling us to think. We don't know the answer, so we should assume she is. LOL. No offence intended, but just pointing out the consequences of following your line of reasoning.

So you're saying that if we are in a situation where there are a large number of prostitutes that we should just assume everyone is a prostitute? I think it is better to assume the other way around. Non-prostitutes can easily get offended if you assume they are prostitutes. Why not find out instead of assuming. So can we assume that the mother of your child is a prostitute? After all, that is how you are telling us to think. We don't know the answer, so we should assume she is. LOL. No offence intended, but just pointing out the consequences of following your line of reasoning.

Sorry i dont see where i said that at all. seeing as you seem to be having some difficulty reading my post i will re quote it here for you

please show me where i said that all women should be considered whores? What i did say is that many, not all are prostitutes and i think you are merely being overly politically correct.

to be quite honest i dont think it matters whether a girl is brass or not when i am out and i rarely have trouble distinguishing, but if you (or anyone) are going to pull in one of these venues don't be surprised if you are asked for "taxi fare" later.

and to remain in context, where did i say i met the mother of my child in an after hours club? I know you couldn't resist, but it is a cheap tactic to use to get your point across isn't it?

perhaps you would like to contribute to the actual topic now rather than arguing on about terminology that you find offensive.

Honestly, at certain clubs you're pretty safe assuming they are prostitutes and if one goes home with you they need some 'taxi money' in the morning. In fact I think most farang are more likely to cause problems the other way, and think that they have 'pulled' and get angry if the girl expects anything. Other times the girl will be too shy to say anything and the guy will get it for free, as they just expect them to know you are supposed to tip. If she doesn't expect anything you have a pleasant surprise. Not that you have to be rude about it either way.

Sorry i dont see where i said that at all. seeing as you seem to be having some difficulty reading my post i will re quote it here for you

please show me where i said that all women should be considered whores? What i did say is that many, not all are prostitutes and i think you are merely being overly politically correct.

to be quite honest i dont think it matters whether a girl is brass or not when i am out and i rarely have trouble distinguishing, but if you (or anyone) are going to pull in one of these venues don't be surprised if you are asked for "taxi fare" later.

and to remain in context, where did i say i met the mother of my child in an after hours club? I know you couldn't resist, but it is a cheap tactic to use to get your point across isn't it?

perhaps you would like to contribute to the actual topic now rather than arguing on about terminology that you find offensive.

You didn't say it but implied it. So I am just making my own assumptions, like you seem to think it's ok to do. If you think we should assume all girls in clubs are prostitutes then you have some issues to deal with. I take it that you think non-prostitutes don't go to clubs. What do they do, stay at home and bake cakes? Laughable.

cheers

Thanks for the info! Any websites I can see that would show listings of places like this? I'm new to the area and only know about the highly touristy ones.

Thanks