Monacled Cobra To Kill Or Not To Kill

The other aspect is that a snake bite would be more toxic to a small child than a fully grown adult would it not ?

Not according to Joe84330.

Hmmm, I have to assume he is correct as I am no expert.

I still stand by my original post, humane if immediately possible, otherwise kill it, especially so if it's a place frequented by children, like communal gardens and swimming pool.

totster :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i said that the adult venomous snake is capable of adjusting the amount of venom that it injects into prey, and is also capable of determing whether something is, in fact, prey or not. they won't, for example, just go around randomly biting and injecting venom into buffalos.

i also said that that applies to adult venomous snakes, and that you should be wary of young venomous snakes as they are not yet capable of this same level of sophistication.

how any particular individual responds to a bite is entirely up to them.

Dead snake or dead kid, guess its down to whats most important. in the wild i avoid trying to harm them, as in drive around if in the car, if in my house then its got to be dispatched. they dont as the TV shows imply avoid humans and stay away from where humans are. and certainly dont rush off at the appearance of a human. at present my dog kills them, venomous or not,, but one day he will loose.

Does the fact they ain't my kids count for anything?

Dead snake or dead kid, guess its down to whats most important. in the wild i avoid trying to harm them, as in drive around if in the car, if in my house then its got to be dispatched. they dont as the TV shows imply avoid humans and stay away from where humans are. and certainly dont rush off at the appearance of a human. at present my dog kills them, venomous or not,, but one day he will loose.

only you can know the answer to that, like i said dead kids or dead snake irrespective of who's they are, so i am still for head off snake, mine or anybody elses kids. but each to there own, would still likely kill you as well should it injected venom. but be wary of unsophisticated snakes, pack far stronger venom.

only you can know the answer to that, like i said dead kids or dead snake irrespective of who's they are, so i am still for head off snake, mine or anybody elses kids. but each to there own, would still likely kill you as well should it injected venom. but be wary of unsophisticated snakes, pack far stronger venom.

Doah.... I was only joking,,,, lighten up,

I assume there is cobra anti-venom available on the island, yes? ...and anti-BigC venom also?

Theoretically yes, maybe worthwhile checking.......Just walk into any of the hospitals and ask. They should not only have cobra anti venom but also other life threatening anti venoms.

I probably wouldn't kill it, but not from any thought of it being a wonderful snake but more so because I would have first shit myself and then I would run like the clappers. giggle.gif

I've lived in australia all my life and still can't stand the bloody things, makes my skin crawl.

Out in the bush I wouldn't harm it, anywhere near my house and I'd happy have it shot.

I don't advocate senseless killing but If it has potential to threaten any human life then have it killed.

If you come a cross and deadly poisonous snake in your garden how does everyone plan on killing it? I don't think I would take the risk to handle it myself unless it was in my house.

Anyone that does not handle or dispose of snakes on a frequent basis shouldn't be the one doing the killing in case the tables get turned on you.

All the times I've dealt with snakes here the best option fr me was not to kill it, I've called someone to remove, I've scared them down the road or into the bush.

That doesn't mean I like snakes, I don't. Animals kill animals and people kill animals, that nature.

I don't advocate senseless killing but If it has potential to threaten any human life then have it killed.

Crikey KTD - that would wipe out most of the motorcyclists here. whistling.gif

Not to mention a good portion of the bargirls and katoeys an all of the jetski hirers

after a friend of mine was killed by one of these things I did some research

the monacled cobra is a hybrid - a mix of cobras

it has 2 poisons - one effects the nervous system and shuts it down and the other causes the flesh to Hemorrhage

compared to the king cobra it is agressive and during the mating season its more agressive

they are territorial and run the same patch

I have seen dogs kill them as well

i think after the first bite you may get a minute or 2 to say goodbye to your kids but they wont be listening as they would be in to much pain

i think after the first bite you may get a minute or 2 to say goodbye to your kids but they wont be listening as they would be in to much pain

The monocled cobra causes the highest fatality due to snake venom poisoning in Thailand.

Envenomation usually presents predominately with extensive local necrosis and systemic manifestations to a lesser degree.

Drowsiness, neurological and neuromuscular symptoms will usually manifest earliest; hypotension, flushing of the face, warm skin, and pain around bite site typically manifest within one to four hours following the bite; paralysis, ventilatory failure or death could ensue rapidly, possibly as early as 60 minutes.

The presence of fang marks does not always imply that envenomation actually occurred.

The monocled cobra causes the highest fatality due to snake venom poisoning in Thailand.

Envenomation usually presents predominately with extensive local necrosis and systemic manifestations to a lesser degree.

Drowsiness, neurological and neuromuscular symptoms will usually manifest earliest; hypotension, flushing of the face, warm skin, and pain around bite site typically manifest within one to four hours following the bite; paralysis, ventilatory failure or death could ensue rapidly, possibly as early as 60 minutes.

The presence of fang marks does not always imply that envenomation actually occurred.

What the hell is wrong with your goat?

The recycling truck arrived this morning to collect their goodies.

Loud scream and a few seconds of panic. One of the younger cobras - just under a metre long (presumably from the big sucker that lives in my garden) was hiding near the stacked boxes.

The recyclers and two of my staff watched it slither off a few metres and then carried on working. No hassle. No shotguns No machetes.

Normally a snake will only attack if....

It is threatened or cornered

It is protecting its food

It is protecting its young

Snakes are not naturaly agressive (unless they have had too many beers drunk.gif )

• Like 1

The recycling truck arrived this morning to collect their goodies.

Loud scream and a few seconds of panic. One of the younger cobras - just under a metre long (presumably from the big sucker that lives in my garden) was hiding near the stacked boxes.

The recyclers and two of my staff watched it slither off a few metres and then carried on working. No hassle. No shotguns No machetes.

Normally a snake will only attack if....

It is threatened or cornered

It is protecting its food

It is protecting its young

Snakes are not naturaly agressive (unless they have had too many beers drunk.gif )

You were supposed to kill it, not put it out for pickup....

Snakes have a brain the size of a pea, relying on the snakes judgment is probably not the best idea when your life is at stake.

Different species have different tendencies, some are as you state, some are far different and will bite just because they can.

For example, Cobras are likely to leave you alone if you back off slowly, but attack if you back off quickly.

• Like 1

I assume there is cobra anti-venom available on the island, yes? ...and anti-BigC venom also?

Theoretically yes, maybe worthwhile checking.......Just walk into any of the hospitals and ask. They should not only have cobra anti venom but also other life threatening anti venoms.

Well, I asked once my doctor in Samui International Hospital how many people a year they treat for snake bites, and how many died. The answer was every 2-3 years one patient, and they are all still alive.

Snakes are not agressive to humans, unless you have the really bad luck to step on a highly venomous one. But even then, serum is on an island as Samui not far away

I also think you have to take these stories about king cobra's in the bedroom with a pinch of salt. I run a resort for over 10 years, we never had a snake in one of our rooms, just one in my living room (which I just picked up and released in the garden). Of course, it helps to keep doors and windows closed

For your information : here you can find a list of snake removers for several areas in Thailand. Also keep in mind that, if you call the local snake farm, your snake will be probable used as food for their cobras.

Edited by U235
  • Like 1

Just kill the sonovabitch. I don't care how beautiful the thing is or who lived here first. Humans live there now ans are endangered by this snake. I wonder how all these feel good people begging you to save the snake would feel if one of their amll children were bitten?

I used to live in Alaska and never traveled in bear country unless well armed. I am reminded of an incident where four anti-gun California tourists were visiting a great fishing spot on the Russian River that was also populated by brown bears. As they were making their way along a trail, a brown bear suddenly stood up and grabbed one of the young men and began mauling him. One of the young women was screaming, "The bear has him! Who has a gun? Oh somebody, please help; who has a gun?" Well she should have thought about that before.

Kill the damned snake. The families that complained were probably Thai, as they seem to be a lot more sensible about these things than 90% of the stupid bleeding heart farangs that really know nothing about living in a dangerous environment, but think they know everything. All Alaskans are armed in bear country. When bears came into a subdivision, they were summarily killed.

somewhere, a village is missing its XXXXXX.

I'm not missing, I'm here. At least idiots can be happy!

Idiots are happy at the expense of others. Try thinking and (god forbid) a bit of compassion towards other living things. Just move the snake and the problem is solved.

• Like 1

Well, I asked once my doctor in Samui International Hospital how many people a year they treat for snake bites, and how many died. The answer was every 2-3 years one patient, and they are all still alive.

Snakes are not agressive to humans, unless you have the really bad luck to step on a highly venomous one. But even then, serum is on an island as Samui not far away

I also think you have to take these stories about king cobra's in the bedroom with a pinch of salt. I run a resort for over 10 years, we never had a snake in one of our rooms, just one in my living room (which I just picked up and released in the garden). Of course, it helps to keep doors and windows closed

For your information : here you can find a list of snake removers for several areas in Thailand. Also keep in mind that, if you call the local snake farm, your snake will be probable used as food for their cobras.

Yeah, I am well known to be a total liar on this forum :whistling:

• Like 1

Yeah, I am well known to be a total liar on this forum whistling.gif

I was not mentioning you in particular, and certainly not accusing you to be a liar.

However, all these stories about bunches of cobra's in houses and gardens make not much sense. Snakes, yes, but cobra's : no

The cobra is an animal on the top of the food chain in danger to become extinct. They live alone on their territory (except during breeding season) That territory has to be big enough to provide enough food for the cobra, which is especially difficult if you know that they eat only other snakes (and an occasional monitor lizard)

So you can have one cobra in your garden, but two is very unlikely.

The Thais have the terrible habit to take every snake for a cobra. I guess my staff spots at least 30 cobra's a year in my 2000 sqm garden. Simply impossible. I have seen snakes too, but never a cobra.

Of course, if you have a cobra or any other snake in your house, you want it out. If you don't feel comfortable to handle it by yourself, call someone who can. Everywhere in Thailand you find people who know how to handle a snake. If your guest is a monocle cobra or a krait, don't even think to handle/kill it by yourself. And if you decide to kill it, be aware you make a territory vacant, another snake will be happy to move in.

And if you feel scare about an unlikely attack to people, make sure you have a stock of serum in your fridge (and know how to use it) The local snake farm should be able to help you as these guys are bitten all the time

• Like 1

Just kill the sonovabitch. I don't care how beautiful the thing is or who lived here first. Humans live there now ans are endangered by this snake. I wonder how all these feel good people begging you to save the snake would feel if one of their amll children were bitten?

I used to live in Alaska and never traveled in bear country unless well armed. I am reminded of an incident where four anti-gun California tourists were visiting a great fishing spot on the Russian River that was also populated by brown bears. As they were making their way along a trail, a brown bear suddenly stood up and grabbed one of the young men and began mauling him. One of the young women was screaming, "The bear has him! Who has a gun? Oh somebody, please help; who has a gun?" Well she should have thought about that before.

Kill the damned snake. The families that complained were probably Thai, as they seem to be a lot more sensible about these things than 90% of the stupid bleeding heart farangs that really know nothing about living in a dangerous environment, but think they know everything. All Alaskans are armed in bear country. When bears came into a subdivision, they were summarily killed.

somewhere, a village is missing its XXXXXX.

I'm not missing, I'm here. At least idiots can be happy!

I really do not know if you are trolling for a reaction or are serious. Nonetheless, you are in Asia, where snakes are common.

Firstly the OP is staying in a villa compound , so I do not think Thai's would have asked him to kill it , but foreigners staying there on holidays.

I understand I can't call a bear handler to take a bear.Different scenarios all together

If it was Thais with such a snake , they would have called the snake farm, for people living here, they call the snake man.

The OP mentioned it never threatened anybody , so perhaps keep your cavalier attitude to yourself, killing everything just to be on the safe side is just pure silliness. There are methods of disposal & ways of repelling unwanted visits .

Gotta disagree with you Rooo, the average Thai does not "call a snake farm" they kill any snake (venomous or not) they encounter and if its big enough it goes in the pot, same with anything else that flies, walks crawls or slithers.

This may not be the case where you live, but in the rural area I have spent the last 12 years it is certainly the case.

I have daily encounters with snakes around our fish farm and I can assure the tree huggers that big aggressive cobra do not slither away at the sight of humans, I personally tend to live and let live,but after being bitten twice in 12 years I wish the reptiles felt the same way.

• Like 1

U235 local snake farm?? :lol: where do you live?

And yes, I know a cobra when I see one, as does my husband. We are both actually rather intelligent informed people. as I said, we live next to a stream. in the over 20 years we have lived here we get them regularly. If you find that hard to believe, well that is certainly your choice but also belies your ignorance of local conditions.

U235 local snake farm?? laugh.png where do you live?

And yes, I know a cobra when I see one, as does my husband. We are both actually rather intelligent informed people. as I said, we live next to a stream. in the over 20 years we have lived here we get them regularly. If you find that hard to believe, well that is certainly your choice but also belies your ignorance of local conditions.

Dear SBK,

As I said before, I was not pointing on intelligent informed people as you - in fact, I don't know you and never have heard about you, why should I attack you ?

I'm talking about ignorant people, both Thai and farang, who think that they have to kill every snake which comes around. I'm talking about people who kill baby pythons because they might eat one of their precious chicken if the python has the chance to grow up. I'm talking about people who go with a gun to bear territory and forget to take their pepper spray with them. I'm talking about farang who leave their western town to live near the jungle, and got surprised that other creatures live in that jungle. And if you feel better with it, you can add people who keep doors and windows open so every living creature can come in on the list ;-)

Sorry my English is not as perfect as yours. With "snake farm" I means of course "snake show", but here in Samui , both words are used together. My point is just that people who handle snakes, are more likely to have serum nearby as an average hospital.

• Like 1

Funny how someone can tell their story of 20 years experience with snakes & be called a liar. Would you like to be called a liar U235 for not seeing any? maybe you are just unobservant, maybe you just never saw them but they were around or maybe you have been lucky, who knows but being snarky about others experiences is rude.

I saw an adder in UK whilst on a nature walk with my 4 year old son, took a couple of pic, had a chat with my son about it then walked around it & carried on our way. when we got home & told thai hubby he was pissed that i didn't kill it & bring it home for him to eat. pretty much sums up the thought on snakes of every thai person i know.

I had 3 snakes in/right outside my small bungalow on samui in a 3 month period, this was 12+ years ago when there was more natural habitat to be had. One of the buggers, a baby king was lying across my bathroom wall half ingesting a gecko. my bf at the time smashed it's head in with a beer chang bottle. another cobra killed 2 puppies right outside my front door & the 3rd instance was me walking down the steps from my front door & nearly treading on one. I've never moved so bloody fast in my life. The landlady went to the temple for 3 days & nights & got advice on how to get rid of this bad fortune. Offerings were made, lemongrass was planted & until I left another one was not seen.

Strangely apart from a lovely green tree snake in my back garden a few years back I have never seen another snake in 15 years. But that 3 months made me very aware of the dangers of poisonous snakes & to know that I'd kill one in a second if it was near my home.