Why Do So Many Guys From Hawaii Come To Thailand?

Johnniey

I know a few as well and the basic reasons for moving were due to sharp increases in prices in daily living, food, real estate and lack of beautiful/easily atainable younger women.

I turned down a job offer on Kauai a few years ago after looking carefully at the place. It was very expensive and the locals were not particularly friendly. There were towns that were "locals only". Backpackers were disappearing during their hikes into the interior of the island and the local paper was filled with accounts of drug dealing and related shennanigans.

I had about $600k to spend on a house and it wasn't going to buy me much more than a regular "tract" type home, nothing special and nothing near the water. The job location would have meant that I would have to live on the south side of the island. Most of the good stuff is on the north side. Locals can live there much cheaper than outsiders but it was still a very expensive place.

Previously I had a girlfriend who was from Kauai. Used to run around in Redondo Beach with her in my convertible Karmann Ghia and my friends and some neighbors commented that she was gorgeous. After a short time she seemed vacuous and we really couldn't have a meaningful conversation about anything. The thai girls I met in the LA area were all smarter to various degrees.

My impression was of a beautiful place but difficult to live there. You see alot of hawaiian guys in SoCal as well.

If you live in Hawaii it is a five hour flight to the nearest continent. People often get what is referred to locally as “Rock Fever”. Bikers get together once a week and ride around the island at 35 miles an hour and make all the obligatory stops along the away. That can get boring. Of course one guy told me if he really wants to ride, he has to hit the big freeways at 3am to avoid traffic and cops. I for one am not getting up in the middle of the night just to ride fast.

Some of the ridge hikes are nice but I’m not inclined to go if the weather is not good. If it is too wet, slippery and you can’t see the amazing views on both sides of the island then it is not as appealing. If you can afford a boat then I guess you could amuse yourself on the ocean.

The average guy can more easily afford a girl in Thailand over the very expensive girls in the Korean Bars of Hawaii. Asia is relatively close compared to Europe and guys in Hawaii often prefer Asian women to begin with. Not everyone can pull off the Hawaiian beach boy act and attract the multitudes of Japanese tourists looking for a little local flavor on their trip. There are perhaps those who have met guys who already have Thai wives living in Hawaii and think that might appeal to them as well.

Hawaii is indeed a very expensive place to live and Haoles are not always welcome with open arms. The whole Local versus Haole thing is too involved to deal with here, however. Interestingly I have met many local asian guys with Thai wives so it is not entirely a white/brown thing.

I found Hawaii a nice place to grow up and spent far too much time surfing and sailing but in the end it was too small to stay there for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

If you live in Hawaii it is a five hour flight to the nearest continent. People often get what is referred to locally as “Rock Fever”. Bikers get together once a week and ride around the island at 35 miles an hour and make all the obligatory stops along the away. That can get boring. Of course one guy told me if he really wants to ride, he has to hit the big freeways at 3am to avoid traffic and cops. I for one am not getting up in the middle of the night just to ride fast.

Some of the ridge hikes are nice but I’m not inclined to go if the weather is not good. If it is too wet, slippery and you can’t see the amazing views on both sides of the island then it is not as appealing. If you can afford a boat then I guess you could amuse yourself on the ocean.

The average guy can more easily afford a girl in Thailand over the very expensive girls in the Korean Bars of Hawaii. Asia is relatively close compared to Europe and guys in Hawaii often prefer Asian women to begin with. Not everyone can pull off the Hawaiian beach boy act and attract the multitudes of Japanese tourists looking for a little local flavor on their trip. There are perhaps those who have met guys who already have Thai wives living in Hawaii and think that might appeal to them as well.

Hawaii is indeed a very expensive place to live and Haoles are not always welcome with open arms. The whole Local versus Haole thing is too involved to deal with here, however. Interestingly I have met many local asian guys with Thai wives so it is not entirely a white/brown thing.

I found Hawaii a nice place to grow up and spent far too much time surfing and sailing but in the end it was too small to stay there for the rest of my life.

Aloha village farang.....so you're a transplanted haole as well as me. There are several of us here and on a few occasions, I've run into neighbors from the Big Isle and I have often wondered what the attraction to LOS and [CM] was. You layed it out pretty good, and I'll add that LOS and Hawaii are same latitude.

I first went to Hawaii before statehood [by cruise ship] and it was indeed a paradise at 14 yrs old, but attending public schools I quickly realized what it was liketo be a 'n#gger'....being the only Haole in my school. I had to literally fight my way thru school until I learned that the easiest way to survive was to befriend the biggest 'mokes' and they protected me. Not the melting pot that it tries to project.

Then after 30 yrs and a few trips to asia, I discovered that there was much more Aloha here and made the move in the early 90's.

I still love the place and there is no doubt that Hawaii has the absolute best weather in the world as well as some beautiful beaches and scenery and yes those island eruopolanesianasian mixes make for some beautiful women but most are untouchable unless you are a young handsome rich surfer dude with a BMW....which I am not.

Anyway.....maybe us Hawaiian transplants should have a luau some day. I know of at least a dozen who make residence up north.

Aloha to us who made the best move that could be after having experienced the best years of Hawaii!!

Aloha village farang.....so you're a transplanted haole as well as me. There are several of us here and on a few occasions, I've run into neighbors from the Big Isle and I have often wondered what the attraction to LOS and [CM] was. You layed it out pretty good, and I'll add that LOS and Hawaii are same latitude.

I first went to Hawaii before statehood [by cruise ship] and it was indeed a paradise at 14 yrs old, but attending public schools I quickly realized what it was liketo be a 'n#gger'....being the only Haole in my school. I had to literally fight my way thru school until I learned that the easiest way to survive was to befriend the biggest 'mokes' and they protected me. Not the melting pot that it tries to project.

Then after 30 yrs and a few trips to asia, I discovered that there was much more Aloha here and made the move in the early 90's.

I still love the place and there is no doubt that Hawaii has the absolute best weather in the world as well as some beautiful beaches and scenery and yes those island eruopolanesianasian mixes make for some beautiful women but most are untouchable unless you are a young handsome rich surfer dude with a BMW....which I am not.

Anyway.....maybe us Hawaiian transplants should have a luau some day. I know of at least a dozen who make residence up north.

Aloha to us who made the best move that could be after having experienced the best years of Hawaii!!

I am also fond of pointing out that both Honolulu and Chiang Rai lay at roughly 19 degrees latitude and though the climate is different the sun follows a similar path.

Though a blond blue eyed surfer I survived “kill haole day” at school in a similar way. I went to the U of H while living in Kailua but most of the kids I grew up with went to the mainland for further education and eventually for jobs as well.

My parents are still there and my wife has many good Thai friends there so we have an excuse to visit every year or two. Having someplace to stay makes it more affordable. Great place to visit but I wouldn’t really want to live there full-time.

I have a few blog reader who live there too. I haven't been to a luau for ages, it might be interesting.

Possibly because here (especially seaside places here) and Hawaii are really quite similar, only it's mostly cheaper here.

Oh YES!!!! The piled up trash here and floating in the water much emulates the pristine beaches in Hawaii..

Possibly because here (especially seaside places here) and Hawaii are really quite similar, only it's mostly cheaper here.

Oh YES!!!! The piled up trash here and floating in the water much emulates the pristine beaches in Hawaii..

A minor difference. The cars drive on the other side of the road also, if you want to split hairs.

I only ever met one Guy from Hawaii, a really nice biker fella,who could be taken for any American until he mentioned where he was from.

Sadly he slipped on those dam_n wet tiles,smashed his head in and died within the hour.

Off topic slightly but wet tiles have nearly done me in twice,treat them with the utmost respect,especially if they are not the non skid version of floor tiles.

Edited by MAJIC

A minor difference. The cars drive on the other side of the road also, if you want to split hairs.

Minor says he!!! cheesy.gif Surely you jest!!!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Okay it may not be a beach but the sun setting over my pond in Chiang Rai is not too bad. If you look for beauty in Thailand, you can find it.

Evening%252520Sky%252520%252520001.jpg

That's a nice view but his comparison was Hawaii's beaches and Thailands.. No contest really...Except a very select few far out from the riff raff maybe..

They can't get to those hot Asian women in Hawaii? licklips.gif

But Thai girls don`t wear grass skirts unless they are paid extra.

I`ve only met 2 guys from Hawaii since living in Thailand.

Both were up to they`re necks in debt in Hawaii and done a runner.

Edited by Beetlejuice

One of my tenants is from Hawaii. Pretty nice guy, came out here after his divorce. I lived in Hawaii for a year (Oahu) and while it is OK, there is a lot of discrimination there against “haulies” (mainland people, white people)... Maui was nice and I really loved going to the Big Island but it is very expensive, too touristic and I did not care for it and prob would not go back.

Minor says he!!! cheesy.gif Surely you jest!!!

Not at all. I never swim in the sea anywhere. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness, I just dont like salt water. Rivers are OK.

I've been to Hawaii and I thought it was a boring expensive dump full of condos. Here is better because it's cheaper and more entertaining, but it's also a dump full of condos. I can easily see why many people who like Hawaii also like it here, especially if they find Hawaii a bit dull.