Thai People In The Uk Learning To Read And Write

Before I start if i have posted this in the wrong sections maybe the Mods can point me in the right direction to the Correct forum.

My wife has been in the UK for over 27 Months now, and we have applied for her IDL Visa, She now wants to learn more, She wants to learn her basic English, Reading and Writing. She can read very slowly, probably the same as a child of about 6/7. and she knows her alphabet, and can write to a point. if i tell her what to write she can do it , We seem to be going around in Circles,

When we ask about literacy courses at the Local Colleges or Education centers, all we get is, She wants ESOL, She has Acquired her level 1 and 2. to fit the criteria for her IDL Visa. There seems to be a lack of Classes for Basic English, (phonetics) unless i pay private, about £12 per Hour. I find it strange that the British Government want these people to integrate into British Society, yet there are no means for them to learn, The Question is does anyone know how, and where We can get some literacy lessons, and from where in the UK. any ideas would be appreciated,

You say "She has Acquired her level 1 and 2" by which I assume you mean Entry Level 1 and 2. These are very basic, so it's not surprising that her reading and writing of English are not too good. If she continues with ESOL to higher levels it will improve.

I think it may depend on where you live, as to how much help is available. My wife (Thai), went to a place set up by Stockton on Tees council, called the International Family Centre, which had volunteer teachers to help immigrants to learn English. She went a couple of mornings a week, did really well, and made many friends, who were originally from various different countries.

Depending on how much time you have available, you could help her along yourself. I taught my wife phonetics, which she grasped fairly quickly, and made it much easier for her to read. You could also try asking your local Library, for any audio courses, that your wife could use, and possibly buy her any she finds easy to use. Good Luck.

Have a read of the link I have provided Thongkorn and you may find that your wife may be able to receive some kind of funding or a % of it for an ESOL course, it depends on certain circumstances as the recent changes in the rules that have been put in place are intended to focus resources on those seeking employment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/end-to-free-language-classes-for-immigrants-2329186.html

Whilst I understand your problems with your wife wanting to learn to read and write English sometimes you have to pay for it in the UK or a part payment of it, and to be honest I'm in favour of it where people can afford it and I feel that all should be means tested, saying that I don't know yours or your wife's financial circumstances.

Let me put it an other way.

Lets say you met your Thai wife in the UK and you both then relocated to Thailand, you can't read or speak Thai, would you expect the Thai government to pay for you to reach the same standards as an ESOL course, IF NOT, then why would you expect the British government/taxpayer to fund your wife.

At my local college (Dacorum, Herts) I once volunteered as a classroom assistant to teach English to adults. Some of them had learning difficulties and mental health issues or some just wanted to catch up on the school they missed a long time ago....

I cant remember what the course was called it was some kind of adult learning.

The courses are there you just have to ask around. Many learning institutions do not readily publish or advertise their full range of courses. Call your local colleges and ask to speak to someone who can advise you on the courses they offer.

Have a read of the link I have provided Thongkorn and you may find that your wife may be able to receive some kind of funding or a % of it for an ESOL course, it depends on certain circumstances as the recent changes in the rules that have been put in place are intended to focus resources on those seeking employment.

http://www.independe...ts-2329186.html

Whilst I understand your problems with your wife wanting to learn to read and write English sometimes you have to pay for it in the UK or a part payment of it, and to be honest I'm in favour of it where people can afford it and I feel that all should be means tested, saying that I don't know yours or your wife's financial circumstances.

Let me put it an other way.

Lets say you met your Thai wife in the UK and you both then relocated to Thailand, you can't read or speak Thai, would you expect the Thai government to pay for you to reach the same standards as an ESOL course, IF NOT, then why would you expect the British government/taxpayer to fund your wife.

Thanks for all of your Input, i have enquired about privet tuition is £16 per hour, where I live in the Country there are no Thai associations or classes for any one, including English people to learn to read and write, i think the only option is to try and teach her myself, Government policy's, they have withdrawn a lot of funding for schools and colleges.