Problems With Transfering A Motorbike On My Name

diseq

After getting the thai driving license(s), I decided to go legit and transfer the motorbike I had purchsed a year ago on my name.

The guy that I bought it from insisted that it's easy to transfer as soon as I change to a Non-Imm visa.

I had signed copies of his passport, a signed copy of the original thai owner's id and a signed document attesting the sale.

When I arrived at the Registration office near the Holiday Inn (across the Ping river), they looked into the documents I had and told me that the Green book is still on the thai lady's name(first owner), and thus I need her signature and 2 witnesses' signatures on the application form.

Thus I see two choices - either I get a thai girl to sign those applications forms , or I do nothing and just pass it on in a similar manner when I sell it(money <->greenbook+bike)

1. If I choose the first option, what are the total costs involved? Including the mandatory motorbike checkup. Will they require some other document from the first owner besides the signed copy of her id? Any other risks involved?

2. If I do nothing, is it easy to pass it on to the next buyer, whether thai or farang?

The residence certificate will expire in 2 days, so I have to make a choice one way or another until then.

Thanks for any advice or informed oppinions.

Sorry ……I don’t wish to add to your troubles, but I’ve done this 3 times now, all I did was take the reg book, (green book) plus a bill of sale to the relevant office and transfer the name…….Job done! All I needed was; Green book, Passport, Bill of sale.

This sounds like you have bought a "stolen" bike. You said that you bought it from a "guy" and the it turns out that a "lady" owns the bike. So your best option would be to get the signature of the owner (obviously not the guy you bought it from) and then do the transfer of the green book.

Sorry ……I don’t wish to add to your troubles, but I’ve done this 3 times now, all I did was take the reg book, (green book) plus a bill of sale to the relevant office and transfer the name…….Job done! All I needed was; Green book, Passport, Bill of sale.

I believe all the bikes you bought off are from bike market where there will be a dude at the counter to issue the bill. for private purchases you need signature of the owner on the application form itself

I believe all the bikes you bought off are from bike market where there will be a dude at the counter to issue the bill. for private purchases you need signature of the owner on the application form itself

In fairness you may be right, I only report as I find, but you may have a point!

I have friends who own motorsai, that are registered in the name of a secretary (Thai national) who used to work for a friend, who they have lost track of....for 10 years.

I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as you pay the registration and 3rd party liability insurance every year.

The problem is- you don't own the bike. It is not your legal property. It is titled in the name of some stranger, unknown to you, who you have never met.

I'm sure there is some way some paper wallah/DLT dude can sort all this out for you. With appropriate "gifts" to the appropriate people, of course.

The problem is- you don't own the bike. It is not your legal property. It is titled in the name of some stranger, unknown to you, who you have never met.

So if it is not your legal property, the person whose name on the title could clam it or say you stole it or say that you were in possession of stolen property ?

We've sold a motorbike to a farang some years ago.He said he can go to the DLT office by himself and transfer the ownership...so he got the green book,singed affidavit of sale(original form), signed copy of the ID and bill of sale.

Everything OK one may think,but no...about 7-8 months later 2 Thai guys showed in front of our house,claiming that they bought the same bike from the farang,but he never has change the ownership!!Good thing was thet they were dealers,so they brought some forms with them to sign of....so we hope they did wacko.png .

I think,it is always a good idea to meet the new owner at the DLT and make sure,they will do the proper documentation.The bigest danger is,that if you're listed as the owner,you are RESPONSABLE for any claims against and coused by any driver in case of accidents.

My advise to the OP will be to try to track down the original owner and hope to do the proper transfer.Good Luck !

This sounds like you have bought a "stolen" bike.

Sounds to me like the friend didn't do due diligence and transfer the registration when he bought it.

Yes, that's what happened; the guy I bought it from - my neighbor, incidentally - admitted to never having transferred the bike on his name.

Obviously it's not stolen, I have the greenbook and the thai lady's signed id card copy.

.My advise to the OP will be to try to track down the original owner and hope to do the proper transfer.Good Luck !

Thank you for the advice, but I don't see how that would help. Please remember that I do have her signed id copy, so only the signature on the transfer form is necessary - to the best of my knowledge.

Even if I could somehow track her down(how? go to the police? Try to go to the address mentioned on her id from several years ago?), I risk a communication problem, or worse she might get some friendly advice to say that I stole the bike, so she can keep it - and I get in trouble ;/

I'm sure there is some way some paper wallah/DLT dude can sort all this out for you. With appropriate "gifts" to the appropriate people, of course.

Ehm, why would that be necessary... Essentially they would be doing the same thing, putting some fake signature on the application form...

Thank you all for the responses. Yet I still don't have an answer to my original question

"What are the total costs involved? Including the mandatory motorbike checkup".

I could not find that information online.

Were you the seller or buyer?

You did not have to show proof of address?

Was the bill of sale in English or Thai? (Does someone have a sample bill of sale?)

I ask because I have just sold my motorcycle to another farrang and neither of us knows how to do this

(And I would prefer to just give him the correct paperwork and not have to go to the transfer office)

Edited by sfokevin

Sorry to give you the bad news

Your problem is, you have bought a bike from a guy that didn't own it.

You can only buy it from the person in the green book.

Why would anyone buy a m/c from a guy claiming 'it is mine, but the book isn't in my name'

There is absolutely nothing you can do, unless the guy who sold it to you will refund your money.

I ask because I have just sold my motorcycle to another farrang and neither of us knows how to do this

(And I would prefer to just give him the correct paperwork and not have to go to the transfer office)

It depends how strict your local vehicle registration centre is.

For two foreigners

Officially you both need 'certificate of residency' (or work permit, or yellow house book) and passports, then both go to the local VRC with the m/c and fill out the forms.

Some places will accept only the buyer having a CoR, but they are bending the rules.

Same rules for everyone, no discrimination

Official rules both parties need ID + proof of residence, with two Thais that will be ID card and House Book.

If you are buying through a 3rd party dealer

You will get a signed copy of the sellers ID card and house book, and a signed declaration from the seller authorising the transfer in has absence. The seller doesn't need to attend the VRC.

If buying from a foreigner, always insist they go to the VRC with you, and only pay after your transfer is being processed.

If you buy at one of the markets, the market official checks all the sale documentation for you before issuing the bill of sale, and another person will offer to go to the VRC for you and sort out all the paperwork (for a small fee), you have to hand over your proof of address and passport copy to them.

Edited by ludditeman

diseq, sign the two items yourself or get someone to sign it for you, just make sure it looks similar.

thats it, dont make it any harder than it has to be. You already have the thai womans copy of id card and sig, so it shows her intention to sell

That's probably the easiest option...as for the costs,you need a bike check only ,if older than 5 years (maybe 100 BHT?),you pay tax of the value (not much)+transfer of ownership, registration(if expired) and mandatory insurance.For a small motorbike everything should be under 1000 BHT IMO.

That's probably the easiest option...as for the costs,you need a bike check only ,if older than 5 years (maybe 100 BHT?),you pay tax of the value (not much)+transfer of ownership, registration(if expired) and mandatory insurance.For a small motorbike everything should be under 1000 BHT IMO.

You also need to pay for all the years they didn't tax it, plus the fine (only small).

If he didn't register it, I bet he didn't tax it either.