Best Way For Single To Play A Course In Bkk

ebcal

Hi All,

I have a few days off while I am visiting and wanted to play some golf in the next few days and had a couple of questions that I hope someone could help answer. Thanks all.

1. Can anyone recommend a nice driving range in Bangkok? I am in a hotel in the Sukhumvit area.

2. I was looking to play a couple of rounds and was looking at maybe playing a course like Bkk Golf Club or Subhapruek, as those seem a bit cheaper than others. But, wondering the best way to get there and book a tee time. Is it cheaper to just take a taxi and show up as a single? Or book tee time and transport through website like GolfAsian.com

GolfAsian.com is quite expensive for a single and much cheaper, if it is multiple people booking together. Regarding course, looking for a decent course, but not too difficult. I used to be about a 19 hdcp, but have not played much in the last few years and only recently started going to the driving range again, so I will probably be even worse than before. So, hope to find a nice course that is not too difficult in terms of OB's/hazards.

On Golfasian.com, a single is $5950 for Bkk Golf club and $3900 B for Subhapruek. Most of the others are around $5600 - $6000 for single. This includes green fee, caddie fee and transport to and from the course. Price goes down with each additional person booking, with the price about $1800 - $3000 cheaper for a foursome booking.

Hi All,

For driving range, looks like maybe All Star seems to be a good choice. 42 Tee off is in the Sukhumvit area, but dont like the idea of hitting directly into the blinding sunlight and not being able to see my ball flight. Now just to find out about best way to get to a course and book a tee time. Thanks.

1. All-Star Golf Complex

A popular one-stop destination for Bangkok golfers, All-Star has plenty of demo clubs for rent, short-game practice facilities and a quality long-distance driving range. For regulars, All-Star is more of a community than a complex. Open weekdays, 10am-11pm; weekends, 9am-11pm.

518/5 Ramkhamhaeng 39 Road, tel +66 (0)2 934 8000

2. Bangkok Golf Training Centre

About 35 minutes northwest of central Bangkok, this is the city's best all-around golf destination, the place where the well-off come to play alongside committed golfers. While the range is standard, the chipping, putting and sand practice areas are well-maintained and not overly crowded.

The practice facilities are part of the Bangkok Golf Club, which also has an 18-hole course and a 9-hole par-3 course with replicas of world-famous par-3 holes, such as Pebble Beach's 7th hole and the 12th at Augusta National. The training school is popular among junior talents. Open daily, 6am-6:30pm.

99 Moo 2, Tiwanon Road, Bangkadi sub-district, Muang district, Phatum Thani, tel +66 (0)2 501 3370

3. Sports City

In addition to a large driving range, Sports City has squash courts, yoga facilities, weight machines and a pool. The three-story driving range at Sports City has 72 hitting bays and a handful of golf vendors on site. Open daily, 10am-7pm.

20/262-4 Moo 9 Prachachuen Road, Bangtalad, Pakkred, Nonthaburi, tel+66 (0)2 575 0078

4. 42 Tee Off

A short walk from the BTS, this two-story driving range is a hot draw for Sukhumvit Road residents, especially in afternoons when crowds shank balls into the blinding sunlight. Note that you'll be hitting into the sun at these hours, too, and that parking at 42 is extremely limited and in the line of (errant golfer) fire -- cabs or BTS are worth considering here. Open daily, 7am-11pm.

1022 Sukhumvit Road, between Prakanong and Ekkamai BTS stations, tel +66 (0)2 712 1541

5. 247 Yard Driving Range

An open-air facility with 40 driving bays, this range on the grounds of the Chaophrya Park Hotel is known for its cheery staff and well-maintained facilities. The hitting area is narrow, but presumably that just helps to hone your fairway game. The food is good, too. Open daily, 8am–10pm.

247 Rachadapisek Road, tel +66 (0)2 276 0177

6. Dusit Thani Hotel

On the Dusit Thani Hotel's rooftop practice range players tee up in the middle of the city. The range gets crowded with hotel guests and students of the resident Doug Hood Golf School, so it's best to go during off-peak hours (weekdays before 3pm). Lessons are available from USPGA pro Doug Hood, who has more than 25 years of teaching experience and plenty of video technology at the ready.

Open Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm; weekends, 8am-6pm. Make lesson reservations by emailing [email protected].

Hi Ebcal

I organise a golf group for every Wednesday morning at a different course each week. We play social golf, not serious. There is no joining or match fee, simply pay your own green fee. On Wednesday, we will play Thana City, green fee 1,300 baht plus 300 for caddy. This week we tee-off at 7.30am, normally we start at 8am.

Call me if interested - Ray Bloom on 0870513548.